Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Exodor posted:

I had to stop watching Big Brother after undeserving players kept winning. Gabler last year was in that category for me and when Heidi got the first vote I was outraged. A player who most viewers didn't even know was on the show until merge getting votes? Meh.

Glad Yam Yam got the win but sad Carolyn got nothing (other than Sia's $100K)

I really wish CBS would post these on Paramount+ earlier. HBO shows are on MAX shortly after they start airing on the east coast - why do I have to wait 30-45 minutes after the show airs before I can start streaming it? With a three hour finale that just guarantees that I won't watch it until the next day.

Because they want West Coast people to watch it on tv and not on demand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Exodor posted:

I had to stop watching Big Brother after undeserving players kept winning. Gabler last year was in that category for me and when Heidi got the first vote I was outraged. A player who most viewers didn't even know was on the show until merge getting votes? Meh.

Glad Yam Yam got the win but sad Carolyn got nothing (other than Sia's $100K)

I really wish CBS would post these on Paramount+ earlier. HBO shows are on MAX shortly after they start airing on the east coast - why do I have to wait 30-45 minutes after the show airs before I can start streaming it? With a three hour finale that just guarantees that I won't watch it until the next day.

lmao what's an underserving player. Heidi did some "Big Movez" but the jury was appropriately apathetic towards it, except for Danny. But like, Danny was Heidi's ally, she didn't have his blood on her hands, and also seems like someone swayed by Big Movez.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Not going to lie, I thought that Heidi giving 'I'm a Latina' as one of her major reasons for deserving votes was pretty crass.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

I love to see more Hispanic winners, since there's only been two (Sandra and Chris U.), but it's definitely not "argue at final tribal council" material.

Especially when the strongest competition is also Hispanic.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Aggressively skimmed through the finale. Might be done with Survivor for a while

The casting has been solid but 30 minutes of camp life isn't gonna fix the dumb game stuff that's very stale and boring. Fire is oddly compelling TV but its (forced) place in the game is awful.

same, I just found it really hard to get invested into any of it. Carolyn was cool though

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I think the nice middle ground I found was that since I was generally watching the next morning while working it allowed me to zone out of stuff that wasn't super interesting or just skip stuff like Jeff trying to force Tribal Council to be interesting when it wasn't so I could just get to the votes and see what twists/advantages ended up getting played to render the past 20 minutes meaningless. But I still got to enjoy the camp life, scramble, and challenges before then.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

the biggest takeaway from this season is they desperately need some new challenge ideas, I never want to see last gasp or that ball challenge at final 4 ever again

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I think Last Gasp is probably going to stick around. Although that challenge depends on their actual filming location in Fiji, which is pretty much the reason they haven't been running it before these last 2 seasons.

Requires a protected bay with mostly calm water.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

IcePhoenix posted:

I think the nice middle ground I found was that since I was generally watching the next morning while working it allowed me to zone out of stuff that wasn't super interesting or just skip stuff like Jeff trying to force Tribal Council to be interesting when it wasn't so I could just get to the votes and see what twists/advantages ended up getting played to render the past 20 minutes meaningless. But I still got to enjoy the camp life, scramble, and challenges before then.

Yeah it's been like 15 years since I watched it live at any point but the random finale here and there. I watch most of the show but yeah there are some tribals, especially early ,that I just want to get to the vote.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Tribals were def rough. Players are too adept at dodging information so the answers get super vague and metaphor filled.

The best new era tribal though is still :discourse:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I’m also sick of the “omg I’m on Survivor” stuff especially past the first 2 episodes.

thatguyclint
Apr 11, 2005
See, I didn't know that...ducks eat for free at Subway.

njsykora posted:

I’m also sick of the “omg I’m on Survivor” stuff especially past the first 2 episodes.

That's kinda where Survivor and BB are both at in this point in their runs; they've been shows long enough that the player base is full of people who have dreamed of being on the show for years. It's preferable to the model years, but I'd prefer some kind of mid-point where you've got people who are aware of the game, but aren't out here studying seasons to think they're getting a leg up on anyone (or the extreme of this, Carson and his 3D Printer).

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Bring back the Mactors IMO.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
Final 4 should all go to fire making. Decide 1st, 2nd,3rd, and “what show am I on again” places that way. Possibly a hunger games initial race to the fire making tools.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

When you get voted out you get to choose one person who voted for you to compete in firemaking. Whoever loses actually goes home.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Bring back the Mactors IMO.

Yeah, if nothing else they are more likely to make social choices not just boring strategic ones.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Honestly though, I feel the casts have been already the last couple seasons. But the show is just so loving stale, that even the players know what twists are coming and have prepared for the twist.

Jeff's like, "Alright for todays challenge..." and the cast, "Yea we know lets get to it!"

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I did not love the cast as a whole but I liked Tika and that ended up making for an enjoyable season, the more I consider it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Honestly though, I feel the casts have been already the last couple seasons. But the show is just so loving stale, that even the players know what twists are coming and have prepared for the twist.

Jeff's like, "Alright for todays challenge..." and the cast, "Yea we know lets get to it!"

One of the players doing an imitation of Jeff's stock challenge phrases was best moment of the season to me.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

you guys really dont remember how bad and dire the mactor seasons were. you really want to deal with a season where your strategic geniuses are only kim spradlin and troyzan?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

STONE COLD 64 posted:

you guys really dont remember how bad and dire the mactor seasons were. you really want to deal with a season where your strategic geniuses are only kim spradlin and troyzan?

sometimes you get a foxy boxer in there

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Finally got to watch the finale and...eh. I'm happy for Yam-Yam, he's a good winner, and I'm sad Carolyn got relegated to third, but the whole night was corny as hell, even more so than usual for the new era. I don't know when exactly this "The Sanctuary - where good things happen" poo poo started, but please stop that immediately.

The fact that they got back from final challenge (oh hey Simmotion again) and there were four shiny new knives lined up for them because everyone knows what happens at final 4 now and let's not bother pretending, really drove home how much the format needs a shakeup.

I'll always keep watching, so I guess I'm part of the problem, but something's got to give. 45 looks painfully generic; I was actually pretty excited for 44 with the players they showed and the rock-fall stuff, but this preview was just Jeff explaining the premise of the show for the last 23 years while people teased their flashback package.

On the other hand I am victorious in the fantasy game two seasons running! Queen stays queen baby.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Yes. gently caress strategic geniuses, they drag the show down. Why are you threatening us with such a good time lol

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Leatherhead posted:

I'll always keep watching, so I guess I'm part of the problem, but something's got to give. 45 looks painfully generic; I was actually pretty excited for 44 with the players they showed and the rock-fall stuff, but this preview was just Jeff explaining the premise of the show for the last 23 years while people teased their flashback package.

It's a lot harder to get a good preview package for the fall season of survivor vs the spring season due to filming dates. They just finished filming 45 on May 11th. Not likely they are going to put a preview package together before knowing what storylines they will show on TV.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
The 44 first look preview for comparison

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1SNEBXUUBw

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

The more accurate comparison would be the 43 preview, it's not nearly as exciting as the 44 preview, just a look at the cast. The final for 42 aired on May 25th, and 43's filming didn't wrap up until the 27th, while 45 finished filming on the May 11th, almost 2 weeks before the 44 final.

The preview for 44 was filled with actual footage from the show, because they likely had the entire show cut and mostly ready to air when they had to make the preview for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HTF2Ucpcy4

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Huh, final face shown in the preview for 43 and 44 are Gabler and Yam Yam…

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

The more accurate comparison would be the 43 preview, it's not nearly as exciting as the 44 preview, just a look at the cast. The final for 42 aired on May 25th, and 43's filming didn't wrap up until the 27th, while 45 finished filming on the May 11th, almost 2 weeks before the 44 final.

The preview for 44 was filled with actual footage from the show, because they likely had the entire show cut and mostly ready to air when they had to make the preview for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HTF2Ucpcy4

It's a fair point, and I'd love to be surprised. I just hope it's not 3 tribes of six AGAIN.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Endless Trash posted:

Huh, final face shown in the preview for 43 and 44 are Gabler and Yam Yam…

43 hadn't finished filming when they cut that preview!

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Pinterest Mom posted:

43 hadn't finished filming when they cut that preview!

The script had been written :ssh:

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

The more interesting thing is the opening challenge "Mat Chat".

Except for Game Changers and maybe one other season, the winner has always, always spoken to Jeff on the mat.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Leatherhead posted:

It's a fair point, and I'd love to be surprised. I just hope it's not 3 tribes of six AGAIN.

Only click if you want spoilers on the tribes, but according to Redmond, it is.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Other than Winners at War, we haven't had an all returning players season since Game Changers, 10 seasons ago. Who is most likely to be asked back for the next all returning players season? I'm bored, so I'm guessing:

- Chrissy from HvHvH
- Dom and Donathan from Ghost Island
- Natalie, Angelina, Gabby, Christian, and Davie from David v Goliath
- Rick Devens and Lauren from Edge of Extinction
- Nobody from Island of the Idols if they try and disavow the season altogether for the entire cast turning on Kellee after the show aired. Or only Kellee if they want to give her another shot. Or Kellee, Karishma, Elaine, Janet, Lauren, Noura, and Dean (the cast is more memorable than I realized) if they decide to ignore everything that happened.
-Evvie, Shan, Ricard, and Xander from 41
- Zach, Chanelle, Hai, Tori, Omar, and Maryanne from 42
- Cody, Karla, Jesse, and Owen from 43
- Matthew, Matt, Frannie, Carson, Carolyn, and Yam Yam from 43

I imagine they would throw in some random person we don't even remember from one of these seasons, like Hali, who I forgot who she was on her original season when I rewatched, and then was shocked again to find her on Game Changers when I rewatched that.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Nihonniboku posted:

Other than Winners at War, we haven't had an all returning players season since Game Changers, 10 seasons ago. Who is most likely to be asked back for the next all returning players season? I'm bored, so I'm guessing:

- Chrissy from HvHvH
- Dom and Donathan from Ghost Island
- Natalie, Angelina, Gabby, Christian, and Davie from David v Goliath
- Rick Devens and Lauren from Edge of Extinction
- Nobody from Island of the Idols if they try and disavow the season altogether for the entire cast turning on Kellee after the show aired. Or only Kellee if they want to give her another shot. Or Kellee, Karishma, Elaine, Janet, Lauren, Noura, and Dean (the cast is more memorable than I realized) if they decide to ignore everything that happened.
-Evvie, Shan, Ricard, and Xander from 41
- Zach, Chanelle, Hai, Tori, Omar, and Maryanne from 42
- Cody, Karla, Jesse, and Owen from 43
- Matthew, Matt, Frannie, Carson, Carolyn, and Yam Yam from 43

I imagine they would throw in some random person we don't even remember from one of these seasons, like Hali, who I forgot who she was on her original season when I rewatched, and then was shocked again to find her on Game Changers when I rewatched that.

Chanelle?

Also I'm really worried that they're afraid to bring back anyone from the 39-day format to play 26, which would be a waste of some amazing players. Maybe Probst's love of Rick Devens will win out.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Only click if you want spoilers on the tribes, but according to Redmond, it is.

gently caress

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Khanstant posted:

Yeah, if nothing else they are more likely to make social choices not just boring strategic ones.
Yeah, it’s fun then when there are power players in the game doing cool stuff and not immediately being voted out as threats, when the game isn’t just big threat ping pong or whatever. I’m not saying I want the days of mactors back though, just a mix of different types of people rather than all super fans.

Also challenges all suck. They need to get diverse and creative with them, it is 100% “stand on these small footholds and keep these balls balanced” or “run these obstacles and do a puzzle you have at home.”

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Did the s39 cast really all turn on Kellee? That's pretty ugly, her asking that guy to stop touching her is all on camera. Sad.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

sleep with the vicious posted:

Did the s39 cast really all turn on Kellee? That's pretty ugly, her asking that guy to stop touching her is all on camera. Sad.

Apparently, everybody but Vince turned their backs on her after the season ended. They didn't like how the show portrayed Dan, and they insisted on reading a prepared statement in support of him at the reunion, which CBS obviously shut down, which is a big part of the reason why the reunion was pre-recorded, to prevent any shenanigans from the cast. All of the cast still hangs out together, including Dan, with the exception of Kellee and Vince.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Well that's all pretty gross stuff :(

I wish Carolyn was there she would have straightened that touchy feely rear end in a top hat right out

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Happy for Yam Yam. Good winner. Sad Carolyn got no votes but it’s not super surprising considering how the tribe always saw her and sitting next to her closest ally. And it feels like you have to see her narrative to really appreciate it. At least she got a lot of love. Hope Matt and Frannie have dork children. Not mad Heidi went home with some dignity. I like hugs and hate assholes. Enjoyable season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?

Nihonniboku posted:

Apparently, everybody but Vince turned their backs on her after the season ended. They didn't like how the show portrayed Dan, and they insisted on reading a prepared statement in support of him at the reunion, which CBS obviously shut down, which is a big part of the reason why the reunion was pre-recorded, to prevent any shenanigans from the cast. All of the cast still hangs out together, including Dan, with the exception of Kellee and Vince.

That's some big brother nonsense, they were on the wrong show