Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
Density 2: FIGHT (lol)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Postsage

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Calus Micropeener is at 241, next is Half-Truths at 47.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, but all that will do is slightly increase the probability that pubbies will randomly stun a champ.

It’s not going to help the two root causes of the problem: people who don’t know how champs work and people that know but can’t be bothered to modify their loadout.

All it does is give you, the person covering two champion types, more flexibility. Which is good and welcome, but you’re still doing the whole group project.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Waveframe GL are amazing for phalanxes. Idk about the taken booper ones but they made life way easier against the cabal ones soloing the second encounter in duality. Just rides under and lights em up.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
The other quasi answer to taken phalanx is a sword swipe that tends to cancel your Mach 4 exit from reality. If you get blown off and down as a warlock you’re largely hosed but the other two classes have a little bit of altitude gain from their class jump so often times a sword will save you. On warlock I think I instinctively jump before getting blasted specifically because it gives me some atitide from the launch angle. First encounter of Prophecy, Grasp Ogre, Grasp end boss, and that Corrupted thing (I guess anything with stomps/phalanx near cliffs) are prime examples where being bad at the game makes it in my best interest to have a sword.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

ohhyeah posted:

How bad are the Leviathan rare spawns? I need most of them plus a couple calus bobble heads for the title.

Once you know where the 2 alcoves are in each area, just run by and your radar will tell you if anything’s in there. The hardest ones for me where the ones that spawned right out in the open because people instantly melt them. There’s one like near the back of pleasure gardens that gets nuked I think. There are guides too that tell you the specific flavor text to look for in the lower left so you can beeline for the spawns. I’d link something but I’m canposting and I trust your google skills.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Hamelekim posted:

Right now my goal is to hit max level, not do any raids, but maybe some dungeons, and also get as many of the unique weapons as I can without doing a raid.

I may start raiding again at some point, but I have nightmares about 5 hour raid fails that I don't want to revisit.

Are there are weapons I should be going for in particular, unique or otherwise? I like playing Warlock, I'm currently at ~1410 for my gear level.

I have no idea how to craft stuff, or what I should craft, I read that crafted weapons are usually better than found and then upgraded weapons.

This applies to anyone coming back but at this point unless you feel like spending 4 days grinding out weapon patterns that someone else says are good, just shoot dudes and have fun. Join the discord, you will have 24/7 guardian tech support for every little question and people will either teach you or carry you through most content (your choice). I bring people through dungeons all the time, especially for quest steps required for the expansion exotics (wish ender from forsaken, xenophage from Shadowkeep, Gjallarhorn from 30th anniversary). The dungeon steps are fast and soloable so I don’t mind just dipping in and blasting someone through with zero expectation of help, you can run into a wall or be dead the whole time. That being said like I mentioned glad to teach as well, doesn’t have to be a carry situation. No pressure, no mic needed, though if you have voice chat it can save the carrier/teacher a lot of typing sometimes. If you’re socially anxious and don’t wanna do discord/voice add Bungie ID Colonel Rhombus#2556. Everything is changing in a couple days so unless you are willing to follow the previously posted quick guide to Revision Zero or whatever, just enjoy and be part of the chaos in a week.

uwaeve fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Feb 24, 2023

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Go to Xur, at Watcher’s Grave on Nessus. When you load in there’s a giant tree like 200 yards in front of you. Xur is in a branch of that tree. There’s probably a pile of sparrows where you need to start your jump up. There’s probably one or more random player names on the branch, that’s where you’re headed.

Buy the Nezarec’s Sin and Lucky Pants. It doesn’t matter if you don’t have a hunter or warlock, or ever plan to play them.

It takes maybe 46 legendary shards to buy these 2 things, which you get 3 of from dismantling a piece of purple gear. If I was new and had not a lot of good gear I would grind activities (whatever you’re fast at and enjoy, crucible quick play, vanguard ops, lost sectors, whatever) and dismantle all my purple gear to afford these two armor pieces. Lock them, throw them in the vault. Your future self will thank you.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
I mean I can see both sides. My general advice in this very thread for cramming at the end of a season is “don’t, just shoot guns and enjoy the game for a bit.” However, speaking for myself knowing what I know now about exotic rolls I’d want someone to have told me how to get those two and it’s not even much of a reach to farm up like 15 purple gear pieces to set yourself up for a nice devour build and general neutral hand cannon thing with the bonus of a sweet resilience stat on hunter. You’ll eventually get these two armor pieces just from weekly xur, but if you are ever wanting to make armor sets I’d rather have some spike-statted ones.

Both sides are valid imo, just pointing out a time-limited thing to work on for the next 24 hours.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

SUNKOS posted:

I've been getting back into the game (finally finished Beyond Light campaign kinda, it's now telling me to see Variks for post-campaign missions) and this is very new to me. How do I find the daily lost sector for doing this, is there some way of knowing which one on which planet it is? Or is it just whatever lost sector you choose to do on the higher difficulty and that gets locked-in for the day if you complete on the higher difficulty?

In 9 minutes it switches to Sepulcher (Florescent Canals, Throne World), and that’s the last one until the season changes.

The website below gives dates. You have to read it as “after daily reset on DATE, the lost sector will be _____” not “when it changes to DATE…”

https://www.shacknews.com/article/121629/legend-master-lost-sector-schedule-and-rotation-destiny-2

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Bleck posted:

Thanks, I'll keep all this in mind.

Probably dumb question; do you have to be a Voidwalker for Nezarec's Sin to work? I want to try out Green Mode when Lightfall drops, but I'm nervous about taking off my favorite hat.

It works off void weapons as well. That being said, the bananas Nezarec's Sin build sort of feeds off its own vortex grenades/melee/super, and is augmented by weapons. If I didn't have the void abilities I think I'd go for something else, but if you don't have much else good, then yeah you can stick with it. If you build into it on void you can have basically 100% grenade uptime if you can secure two kills with each vortex grenade, if I recall. Running around with Le Monarque and a void rocket launcher on Solar I could feel the difference between Nez and no Nez, but at that point I'd just use something else. I realize I am privileged (read: spent too much time in this stupid game) to have other choices, so take it with a grain of salt.

Nezarec's Sin is also heavily weighted towards getting the most benefit from like multiple kills fast...single kill gets you like 3 seconds of increased ability recharge. This stacks though so wiping out a pack with a rocket or Le Monarque or something can give you like 15 seconds right off the rip. Herein lies the power of vortex grenades as well...

uwaeve fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Feb 27, 2023

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Hamelekim posted:

I'm at a bit of a loss as to what I should do in the game at the moment.

I'm on mission 4 of the new campaign on Legendary difficulty, want that sweet end of campaign loot and exotic. But I also want to finish up the Gjallerhorn quest line. I'm at the first boss for the Dungeon, doing it solo for fun/challenge. I'm also missing a heavy machinegun which I would like to have for the campaign. I had a couple of blue heavy machineguns but they are not the same, and wasn't going to spend currency to upgrade their level.

I don't think the Gjallerhorn quest is going away anytime soon, and the better loot from the campaign seems like the way to go for now, unless there is anything else that I might want to farm for guns that would be good in the campaign.

I’m like 3 pages behind on this thread but I’ll run you thru Grasp if you want, my bungie ID is Colonel Rhombus#2556.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Macichne Leainig posted:

Is there a good guide for people like me who are stuck between the soft cap and the hard cap and don't really know what to do?

I'm on a Titan if it matters. My current exotic setup is Dunemarchers + Monte Carlo which isn't my favorite but it has some good synergy and the Dunemarchers are solid stats so w/e.

I feel like I understand the build stuff fairly well, I'm rocking Void with a grenade specific build. I can poop out orbs and be throwin' grenades like they're candy, so I think i have an alright grasp on Armor Charges and all that good stuff.

What I feel like I'm missing is how to get resources like upgrade modules, enhancement prisms, and generally just start ekeing my light level up past 1760ish. I've tried some seasonal activities and the matchmade 1770 ones are doable but maybe a still too difficult. Done with the Lightfall campaign on the Titan too.

Do I just slam vanguard activities and bounties mostly? Like I don't think I'm at a point where I can farm LLSes and get better exotics quite yet. :shrug:

I am not caught up with the thread, but if this didn't get answered yet:

First recommendation is to hop in the discord and just ask questions, bug people. Everyone has been super friendly and helpful. Don't even need to be on voice for stuff, it's just like Guardian support for all little questions plus often times people are around to carry or help you with stuff.

Next is get on destinyitemmanager.com, authenticate, and hit up the Progress category (on site it should be on top like Inventory, Progress, Vendors, Records, Loadouts, Organizer). Select your character on left. Expand the Milestones & Challenges category. The app dynamically figures out what activities give you +X gear. So right now I'm below the 1800 cap so I get a bunch of +5s, some +4s, and some +3s. Some of these are vastly easier to complete than others or soloable. This is how you build light level. Gear drops higher than your current level, then the game takes all the gear on your character (equipped or inventory) and vault to calculate what the new +X should be. You slowly advance that way. In DIM you can go to Inventory (top menu like before) and query like "is:maxpower -is:locked" to find stuff that counts as max power and is not locked, then bulk lock it by hitting the 3 dots next to the search field, and selecting lock. This should keep you from deleting your stuff. The game should (and used to) take all your equippable stuff across all characters into account but someone said it may not be working correctly on the other classes, so just make sure your highest power stuff for the titan is on titan or in vault.

The easy challenges are probably Give Commendations, all 3 Playlist challenges (vanguard needs you to have the surge equipped when the activity ends to count, read the challenges carefully), nightfall completions, all the "do 8 bounties" for the 3 playlist vendors + banshee, gain rep with nimbus, defeat combatants in terminal overload. If you hop in discord you're likely to be able to hitch along for dungeon completions or the Avalon mission as well.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Eyes down, Guardian. ;_;

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah if anyone is really wanting/struggling with LLS, my rec is Chamber of Starlight (up for the next 1.5 hours, will return again soon) with Le Monarque and a scout. Shitloads of void shields, only 2 solar shielded knights you can easily keep from regenerating with the poison. There are places to stand where you can just plink, and you can yo-yo the unstops back and forth between rushing you to get stunned and backing off. I got my solo flawless at 1776 on a third try, died once on the other two tries just being sloppy. It did take me 18 minutes with how long it took to burn the champs.

There is also a way to stuff engrams so you don’t have to worry about which armor slot the day is, ask and I can explain.

My prior rec was E15 because of all the buddy tanking, which was my prior record at like 30 below light, but the splash from the boss gun and the teleporting Minotaurs make that dicey for survivability.

Anyways I think the key is the bow because it satisfies a couple things: breaks 95% of shields, keeps shields from regeneration, deals damage while you are in cover, spreads the DOT in groups if you hit perfect draw headshots, is a long range precision to get the overload on the cliff, and the dot keeps the overload from healing to full in like 1 second after you’ve spent 3 minutes whittling it down.

Did it on contraverse void warlock and solar loreley titan, but they really only got me a bit of margin, and I could probably do them without any self heals, that’s how gameable that LS is. I don’t know how critical the catalyst for the bow was, I don’t know that I was getting a lot of unrelenting procs but maybe.

Point is the system is terrible and there are some ways to game the LLS, loadout and knowing where to stand/order of operations is like 95% of it, evidenced by a mediocre player completing a flawless run at 54 below light. I say this to help of people are frustrated, not to brag.

From memory all the dreaming city ones may be gameable like this, I’m not positive what’s in the rotation this season tho.

If anyone wants a run through on where to stand I will take you through, just lmk here or search rhombus on discord.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah provided the champ mod rotation or changing surge/threat things hasn’t invalidated my loadouts , the quarry and skydock are pretty gameable as well. FWIW the trigger zones for waves and champion charge mechanics are usually abusable with longer range stuff, it gets much dicier when you are bringing a sword or smg or something. Luckily scouts, bows, and pulses have some champ options and I generally bring a rocket launcher, LFR, or occasionally a weirdly rangy out-of-type weapon like Eriana’s Vow, Xenophage, leviathans breath etc. that will have some portion of its damage not subject to range or maybe just stunlock stuff. Gjallarhorn can be another really stellar “do damage while you are behind cover” in solar burn ones, I think my quarry loadout may use that.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
There are like 30 eververse engrams in the season pass track, leave em there till you need to stuff engrams a couple times during the season.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
For whoever was asking upthread, the DSC sparrow chest no longer drops spoils. And anyone who wants the sad 5 per char per week on vow or vog can ask rhombus on discord, if I’m on I’ll be glad to let people in. If you want to do vow solo you just have to get past savathun, kill 3 ogres while surviving constantly spawning waves. Once the 3 ogres are dead at the skateboard, you’ll no longer get pervading darkness and can go shoot the three widgets to open the chest. And I don’t have the video close at hand but letting yourself into vog is not particularly challenging, just frustrating on some classes I’ve found, warlock is doable but you’re hitting a ceiling constantly when out of bounds so it’s annoying. Even with a stupid macro it still takes between 1 and 10 tries to drop through the rock thing off my sparrow.

But anyways, doing both chests on 3 chars a week gets you 240 in 8 weeks. Not great and I highly recommend raiding with the discord gang, but it’s an option.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

GhostDog posted:

What's a reasonable level for a more casual player to attempt legend lost sectors? I tried my first one today at 1805. The first few champions I could whittle down, but the boss together with another champion plus ads... not so much.

It sorta depends on your goal (finish one or a few for exotics, farm for exotics, get a flawless clear for the triumph) and what you have available to solve the loadout puzzle. I wouldn’t really farm until you can find one and be at a level where you’re knocking them out in under 5 minutes or so. Some can be optimized to get runs in like 2 minutes, but probably not below 1830.

The ones in rotation vary in difficulty thjs season as well. From memory, you can probably abuse/optimize the EDZ (quarry/skydock), nessus (conflux), and dreaming city ones. I haven’t spent time in the Neptune ones to have an opinion. Upthread I posted about my solo flawless Chamber of Starlight (filter to my posts I guess) at like 1776 or so, using Le Monarque. From memory if surges and champ options haven’t screwed things up much, the ones above should sorta be doable below level, there are places to isolate champions and semi cheese the mechanics. I don’t have a good feel for how much damage you do at 1805, but having your heavy match the surge is sorta key, and different bosses have different health pools. The colossus in conflux is a bullet sponge, while the witch in chamber of starlight just kinda falls over I think.

If you’re just wanting an exotic or three, have a good understanding of champ mechanics, have the right exotics, and are willing to abuse the map a bit, you can definitely make a run of it, and I’d be happy to help with loadout and a tutorial run through of them.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone struggling with LLS, today's is relatively easy if you have Wish Ender. Reach out if you want a tutorial on where to stand, there are a bunch of places to be where you can shoot but can't be shot, it's doable at probably 1800 and above if you're patient. If you don't have Wish Ender but have Forsaken, we can knock that out too, takes like 45 minutes. Look me up in game Colonel Rhombus#2556 or search the discord in the OP for rhombus.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Is there any good exotic weapon to switch to from the Striga on my Strand Titan? I love it, but the strand SMG or AR is great as well, and I feel like I could be more efficient with a special or heavy exotic since my main role is CC.

I'm not one of the Good People so take it all with a grain of salt but this season I have been trying to stay grape for my energy/power on the Abeyant Leap suspenderguy, so like Le Monarque can be real strong. I guess Wavesplitter can get gross as well but I have yet to try it out. Honestly there are a number of good legendary energy/power options such that I can see not running an exotic, depending on the activity. Gnawing Hunger, Funnelweb, probably that sweet trials SMG (I WOULND"T KNOW), Hero's Burden with Destabilizing, Retrofit Escapade, Commemoration are all easy to run so it almost feels like I'm searching for an exotic based on the activity/encounter as well, when Osteo isn't the right pick. Two-Tailed Fox is pretty good with the catalyst as well, sort of a one-stop champion stopper. Leviathan's Breath with the catalyst is strong for Unstop or just chain-stunning and is putting out pretty good damage I've found. Fighting Lion is an old favorite of mine and is currently p strong against red bars but may be bugged. Splitting off from Void, In solo difficult content I crutch on Lament for the self-healing, haven't tried that yet with Strand. Trinity Ghoul always a great wave deleter, Riskrunner is strong in Fallen activities like the middle of Grasp. For more crowd loving action, Gjallarhorn and Thunderlord (with catalysts) are great, and Xenophage can be a problem solver in some stuff, I treat it like an infinite range semi auto yellow bar deleter.

I'm just rambling but these are the things I lean on and mess with on my Strand Titan Guy.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
This reminds me I feel like Lorentz Driver could be hilarious against a room of suspended trash, I gotta give that a shot...

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
There are idiots who will take you through dungeons whether you’re in any clan or not, just hop on discord. Or don’t, you can post your bungie ID here and I will friend you and teach you dungeons (or just blast you through if you want to get completions/exotics).

Raids are the best thing in the game but dungeons are a close second and let me walk away from my keyboard whenever when I’m solo, something I can’t do in a raid.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Bleck posted:

I would like to obtain Wish-Ender for no other reason than it's the only exotic bow that is just a normal recurve bow.

It rules and I carry this all the time, all you need is Forsaken and like an hour (40 minutes if I’ve already got a checkpoint), less if we get a third.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Finally picked up Witherhoard. It’s cool, but the very specific play style of “shoot ground, swap to primary/heavy, wait 5 seconds, repeat” seems like it might get old quickly. Clearly need the catalyst so I’m not reloading non-stop.

I hate PvP, so the 100 guardian kills is a big lift. Can I just use any grenade launcher, or does it have to be Witherhoard specifically? If I can use any I may work on the Fighting Lion catalyst at the same time.

I’m going to unlock some more Ascendant Shards through reputation soon, so I may go for Outbreak Perfected next. I’d like Tarrabah, but I don’t raid and it needs like 250 Spoils of Conquest.

It never gets old to have an on-demand dot/aoe that you just fling and go back to business. Super strong in pve, highly recommend just grinding out the catalyst it’ll change your life. I did a combination of WH, fighting Lion (follow the highest k/d guy on the intro screen around and bank grenades into wherever he’s shooting to clean his kills up) and a waveframe I think. On multiple accounts…

Also if you can pace yourself to wait 8 weeks you can get 30 spoils a week by just walking to chests for the most part. I ping in discord when Im doing these so it’s easier for everyone to rotate characters (takes 10 min total instead of having to dick around fresh instances). Or I can teach you how to do them it’s not like I’m the gatekeeper of free spoils. Knowing what I know now I would 100% wait 8 weeks to get tarrabah over outbreak.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
I miss soloing to the secret chest to try to get the Telesto catalyst

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Halibut Barn posted:

With Chamber of Starlight back up as the LLS today, I had a bit more time to farm it with uwaeve's tips and Le Monarque and even managed to get Master solo flawless this time (no effect on guardian rank, but hey, it's one more Triumph), and the last two helm exotics I was missing (Dawn Chorus and Fallen Sunstar).

I thought it was supposed to be exotic chestpieces today according to D2 Checklist, but hey, I need helms more anyway.

Thanks for mentioning this as it reminded me to get the hunter strand hat!

E: Also glad you got your thing done!

uwaeve fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Mar 30, 2023

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

I do not understand the Void Titan Wavesplitter build. Lots of explosions, but I feel like I’m mostly just standing around waiting for ability cooldowns.

I’m starting to dig Witherhoard, but it is pretty garbage without the catalyst. I spend hand the fight reloading.

Orbes on shield break, double void siphon, double void surge. Abilities are meaningless, orb reloads gun, orb fills super, orb makes devour, orb makes volatile, orb feeds special finisher, orb heals. Shoot gun, walk over orbs.

e: also easier said than done but yeah witherhoard is a different gun entirely with the catalyst I would grind it out as soon as you can stomach it. I did mine mostly just suiciding to get more ammo. Throw two shots, go die immediately. If you can hit control points or try to third party onto other players fights it goes reasonably fast, and in theory you should now get season pass catalyst boost? You can also goof off with fighting Lion, just follow around a good player and lob grenades where they are shooting to clean up their kills.

uwaeve fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Apr 1, 2023

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
To add to Kiths excellent points above, your new falling guillotine is a void vortex frame which means as long as there are easily killable packs of red bars around, volatile is gonna be blowing poo poo up everywhere (this season only for ez volatile, get it while it’s fun), and if you happen to have Nezarec’s sin on a devour warlock it will keep you in vortex grenades and rifts forever at the same time, also while healing you.

They can be useful for jumping crap as it puts you in third person, and a light swipe will stop your downward momentum (maybe within a limit, but I can’t remember if that was fixed and or applied to eager edge only) and lunge you forward. This helps not only with platforming but cases where bosses stomp you off or the taken centurion shield guys blast you off. No matter what, the lunge back still works, it’s just the “stop falling momentum” part I can’t remember if it got changed. Just keep your cool, and swap to sword and swing once to get back to platform. They sometimes have janky auto-tracking mechanics that change the direction of lunge but you will learn to cope.

You will get used to this and then swap to rocket launchers and LMGs to try to save yourself which is funny in its own right. The rare self-own.

Highly recommend seeing if you can grab an eager edge sword (blue and purple flavor from dares can roll it) for mobility screwing around, especially on hunter and titan where you can very easily retain the momentum from the eager edge lunge. Still useful on lock but activating your glide kills the momentum. It’s not like game defining but for easy content it’s nice to have a turbo switch option.

uwaeve fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Apr 2, 2023

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Strafe lasts the longer than catapult as well, allowing a lot more activate/ deactivate shenanigans I’ve found. Some people swear by catapult but I can’t make it work. Strangely the highest you can go with strafe is still double tapping like you’re some warlock, but most jumps are delayed until you’re halfway up, slowing near your peak, at your peak, or as you start falling again (for distance).

E: I said longest but high lift may be as long or longer, I wouldn’t know because it sucks

uwaeve fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Apr 4, 2023

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Kith posted:

high lift lasts for 2.6 seconds, strafe lift lasts for 2.2, catapult lift lasts for 1.

though if you have lion rampant, lift duration is increased to 4 seconds for all types, so catapault rampant is the best of all worlds

Ty for the data, I didn’t know any of this.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Strafe lift with some delay is definitely slightly faster than sprinting but nothing compared to keeping an eager edge lunge’s momentum. It may not even beat someone with a lightweight frame buff, but it’s noticeable in random strikes where I can gradually overtake people by scooting horizontally a lot.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Super ability doesn’t heal you, but in pve (maybe pvp too, but I wouldn’t know), you get pretty significant incoming damage reduction while in your super.

There are a couple mechanics for health including your recovery stat, heal, cure, and restoration. From memory restoration is the one that is uninterrupted by incoming damage and some of the unkillable-est builds have things like high-uptime access to 2x restoration or whatever.

Where the game is at right now the general advice for pve survivability is build for 100 resilience for the 30% damage reduction. Stat effects are rounded down to the nearest 10 (so 99 is the same effect as 90) and you generally don’t get any benefit beyond 100 (tier 10). Chest armor mods make a difference as well, with elemental resists being important in content where there is a threat, and things like concussive dampener (for the variety of splash, aoe, and stomp mechanics) and sniper resist helping as well.

E: as a “bad player” I generally have some survivability builds in each class that o can lean on for harder/low-player content, and I will tune away from them towards damage output as I get more comfortable with the activity or get more players involved. This is stuff like loreley or alpha lupi titan, assassins cowl or invis hunter, dawn blade or stag warlock type thing. There are also weapon specific things like riskrunner’s arc damage reduction or the Lament’s heal on hits.

uwaeve fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Apr 5, 2023

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'm currently playing Solar titan because I prefer how both the melee and super are ranged, because distance and cover are almost always safer options in PvE shooters, and I'm making use of some healing options, but I didn't take the healing grenade because I find grenades are just too useful at both clearing out troublesome packs and/or piling on a lot of single target damage.

I really like having a primary that heals on kill because it makes clearing out chaff red healths with my infinite ammo gun that much more rewarding in between moments when I pull out the finite ammo guns to get big damage onto the boss.

I'm still about five points away from the soft cap so I'm not really bothering to mod my gear much because it cycles constantly, so I'm mostly thinking out loud for the next session or two where I hit the soft cap and hopefully have the gear progression slow down a little. Still need a couple more pieces of noble constant type 2.

If you don’t have it, let’s find a way to get you through a LLS for loreley, and be aware picking up a hammer that has done damage heals you and refreshes your hammer…so with a little aggression and practice at not airmailing your hammer past a dodging enemy, you can rub against things and hammer yourself back to life.

For always hammer, unbind “auto-melee” entirely and bind charged and uncharged melee to the same button. This way you only punch if your melee charge is missing (as opposed to when close to things).

To avoid losing your hammer, hop before hammering or look down at like 45 degrees and hammer stuff in the knees/judge what’s beyond your target. Hammering up at a boss’s center mass, a wizard, or at something on a ledge or up a ramp/stairs = high risk. I’m usually falling into a group of enemies to get the first hammer off, it won’t scoot far, and you land on it to get it back. It makes a sunspot! That heals you! Every time you kill with your infinite hammer you make a sunspot! That heals you!

Pair with heavy handed mod to gain armor charges, then the class item melee finisher thing that gives full melee charge on a finisher if you have at least 3 armor charge for the ultimate insurance setup. As you get better with the hammer you can use armor charges for other things.

E:since you have infinihammers, start with “make orb on charged melee kills,” and the cure on orb pickup and start regen on orb pickup in legs. Between sunspots , orbes, hammer pickups, you will feel much less vincible. I think we have a new fragment that cures on solar grenade kills as well, which pairs well with solar grenade or the double fire bolt bullshit in the artifact.

uwaeve fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Apr 5, 2023

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Jack B Nimble posted:

Great tips thanks all; I'll look into getting those mods.

In the absence of the thread's good players shouting this down, maybe start with something like this:

https://dim.gg/gz6yzda/SolarBase00

Ignore everything but the class options and mods. Even the mods are like "change to taste" like the resist mods and whether you want to start leaning into armor charge for useful things. But if can get used to the idea that you have an infinite orb generator with your hammer now (due to Heavy Handed in arms), orbs heal you, start your recovery instantly, and reduce your barricade cooldown...grenades kills heal you and make orbs, barricade cast (use short wall because it's on a short cooldown) reduces your grenade cooldown (if it was a melee build where you needed to wait for charge it'd be melee, but you have infinite hammers on pickup). Also after barricade cast you get an orb on next weapon kill. You will start to use your barricade as an ability charger as much as for cover...bear in mind you automatically duck behind the rally barricade and get a boatload of reload speed when ducked. If you ADS, you automatically pop up to fire, then release aim down sights will duck you back down until you manually sprint or uncrouch...can take a bit of getting used to but there you go. Again, sunspots (solar ability kills) grant restoration when you enter them, and resto is the instant-on/uninterruptible flavor of healing. Picking up a hammer that did damage (doesn't need to kill) heals you...sunspots also wipe out trash that is rushing you. Backing up a step will funnel rushing targets to the center of your screen to make your hammer miss less. Roaring flames x3 after a couple hammer kills makes your hammers actually do sizeable damage to tougher enemies like orange bars etc. If you put double siphon in helmet you will make "big orbs" on the correct flavor of weapon kill, meaning your super will be up A LOT. Don't save it, it's a roaming add-clear super! Besides look at all those orbs on the ground going to waste! Again, if you yeet the hammer, find something to finish, since you will always have 3 armor charges with this build, nothing is making them decay!

For stats lean into resilience til 90 or 100, then discipline. If you are having trouble hitting high numbers you can adjust the fragments since you are penalizing those two stats, but I think the benefits outweigh the downsides here. Note the -10 resil one sort of implies you use solar weapons for the majority of killing to get the most benefit.. If you are just starting out without much for armor just sorta wear whatever, put resil mods in everything until you're at 80+/90+/100+ and then allocate to discipline.

FWIW I came into this game as a very cautious "use cover and range" and between hammer titan and assassin's cowl hunter I have branched out into the "have to charge in to survive" playstyles a bit, and have been having a lot of fun with both styles now.

uwaeve fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Apr 5, 2023

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Jack B Nimble posted:

Thanks, I'll look into that.

At what point might I start boosting a legendary to keep wearing it rather than just cycling through the junk I keep picking up? At the soft cap? At the next cap after that? Currently I've just been equipping absolutely anything that makes the number go up because even if I dislike some item I'll only have it for a half hour or so anyway.

For a lot of content, light doesn't make much of a difference, and with the new enforced deficit the rules are even murkier. I would say just save your upgrade modules/enhancement cores until you are trying something you specifically know you need levels for (legend lost sector, newest dungeon, newest raid, maybe the seasonal stuff). Patrol/vanguard ops/most crucible/not-the-latest raids/dungeons are mostly no difference. Basically if you get into an activity and find you're doing paltry damage (takes multiple magazines to kill red bar guys) or getting vaporized especially hard, you may be below the light level for that activity. Sometimes your death screen will tell you recommended light for what vaporized you...

If you are just starting out, try to do banshee's four daily nonrepeatable bounties on each character you have, they are relatively fast and easy and will build up a stock of enhancement cores, which can be the limiting currency to buy upgrade modules. They're usually "go kill enemies with X weapon or element" which can be worked into what you're doing, or used as a zone-out chore v0v.

The game calculates what gear to give you based on your maximum-equippable gear (guns count for all classes, each class has its own armor). As long as it's on your character or in the vault, it counts (don't have to be wearing it).

https://destiny-power-bars.corke.dev/ will show you what the game is calculating your gear drops based on (and where it lives).

https://destinyitemmanager.com Progress tab will show you the +X/+Y activities you can complete to get higher-level gear (per character).

Destiny item manager is how all us no-lifers manage inventory as well, you can do some really powerful searching once you learn the syntax. You can search things like "is:maxpower -is:locked" to find all your stuff that is the maximum power the game is using for drops that isn't locked (then lock this stuff! by bulk locking using the 3 dots to the right of the search field, or like "is:void is:autorifle" to do your banshee autorifle and void bounties!

The D2 companion app also lets you pick up bounties from any vendor as long as you're out of game or in orbit, so you can grab bounties for a lot of stuff at once very easily.

uwaeve fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 5, 2023

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Why do I hate PvP but enjoy IB? Is it cause everyone there is just in it for gear so it makes me feel out me I’m better than I am?

Also, I want the title. For the “reset rank 2 times” do I have to complete that in one season?

The matchmaking is supposed to be skill based so people like me (bottom of the barrel pvper) can not get loving immediately canoe’d any time I turn a corner. I queue solo and have a good time most of the time. Maybe similar?

You don’t have to reset twice in a season, I got my title over multiple seasons and the final reset was this season, my first of the season. Thing to keep in mind though, is that your second reset will loving fly if you are getting armor and have ornaments, after your first reset you will have a banner, and if you hover over one of the icons on the IB launch screen, you can see a rep multiplier. If you play your 18 games on one character as I think solar, void, strand (read the challenge by hovering the IB launch icon) to get the 4 challenges done (play 3, play 4 more, play 5 more, play 6 more), equip a bunch of IB gear/ornaments/banner, from memory you get something insane like a 14x multiplier? The second reset just flew.

DIM>Progress tab will also show you up top how close to reset you are in terms of total points, since the thresholds grow with rank. Like finishing rank 12 you’re like halfway to reset or something. Gives you a sense of how many percent you get on win or loss once your multiplier stabilizes (or before, too).

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
If aphelions rest is still void surge or whatever (or probably even if not) le monarque is bananas in there. If for no other reason than you can just use the overloads and boss as giant poison sprinklers…super easy to hit crits and the trash tends to spawn at/around them. Hipfire for the doubling adept packs too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
It’s a cruel twist of fate that the legendary campaign is sort of a cakewalk with titan strandpants and access to the full strand build. Knowing what I know now, I would try to run the following to get them: complete regular campaign and get access to strand, run with rally barricade, grapple grenade, build to loop back and forth (bomber mods, etc), osteo striga loving shreds everything and having on- demand suspend neuters a lot of the phalanxes, wyverns, tormentors etc. even without the pants I think just play a bit more conservatively? I ran a vorpal void sniper which you can use normally, or abuse the osteo dot by switching to the vorpal weapon while osteo bullets are stil landing, then it will tick forever. You can spray something with osteo, duck into cover while switching to a vorpal weapon and just wait for the thing to die. If you have access to retrofit escapade with enhanced target lock/enhanced 4ttc it pretty well melts your minibosses/bosses/tormentors/ suspended wyverns etc. also, suspending poo poo tends to expose and stabilize a crit spot as well as keeping them from shielding or damaging etc. Perfect for sniping or escapading. Another option I sort of abused in the prior campaign was a disorienting special grenade launcher (preferably with auto-loading holster). The same idea applied: neutralize a pack/angle/key rear end in a top hat while clearing out a different area.

E: wishender or le monarque can both trivialize some LLS, and we can tell you where to stand etc.