Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

Forward_Bee posted:

If you don't have the time or opportunity to grab a Hung Jury from the Nightfalls this season

I was working under the impression that Hung Jury will still be on the Nightfall rotation next season, which was the entire basis of my "Don't Bother Doing Nightfalls Until Wendigo Week" strategy. I have two older adept Hung Juries that I really like already, and while I wouldn't say no to an origin perk... I would otherwise just be going for the same rolls I already have? (subsistence/explosive payload and rapid hit/box breathing)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

Forward_Bee posted:

You'll be able to focus adept NF weapons that match the currently available weapon on a given week, and I think Hung Jury will be in the pool for S20. It's expensive tho, so I don't anticipate being able to craft more than 1/week unless you really grind out (since a platinum clear GM gives 2 ciphers, and you need 10 per focus).

Are GMs not going to drop weapons on completion anymore?

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

Okay if you put together every separate instance of fighting against Hive Guardians, it would be what, thirty? Like I know I've killed several hundred hive void titan guys in Grandmaster Lightblade but that doesn't count.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

I want to understand what people mean when they say "Horde Mode" because I feel like someone just said 6 players vs 6 Hive Guardians would be a fun horde mode?

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

arsenicCatnip posted:

final mission was zzz but the cutscene ruled. Who the gently caress were those guys behind Zavala though

If it's the player characters of devs, they're dorks
If it's the player characters of destiny streamers, uggghh

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

arsenicCatnip posted:

see I don't recognise the armor they were wearing so I don't think they were player characters

I've already decided it's just these guys: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIfKzgltjIg

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

Eramis might've had good HP but she brought a lovely blue gun, she wasn't taking the situation seriously enough

abraham linksys posted:

:negative: i had no idea this was a separate thing i hate video games

(i also dont like this gun much at all maybe i will just fuckin ignore it. like is it even worth getting the catalysts if i dont also do the 4 additional runs for those perks)

It's boring but it's good, it is at least as strong an antibarrier champion deleter as arbalest IMO

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

wacky sword alert

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

My Taipan is almost level 69 so I'm crafting a new one

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

Are we gonna have the ability to break our buddies free of tormentor grabs, or is it gonna be another lost opportunity like shooting people free of stasis

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

If I'm gonna skip a champ mod it's almost always gonna be unstop. It's not because I have the delusional idea that I will down a champion without stunning it (I know that I would die of old age first), it's because unstoppable champions can be kited back towards my fireteam where we can deal with it properly. Barriers and overloads seem to understand when they get wedged in a stupid corner and can outheal the damage of one guardian. They thrive in those spots like black mold.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

We already have a lot of hot, androgynous schemers in the world and so I'm glad all the promotional material is about Nimbus being "hotheaded" and "inexperienced" because that means they get to be in the hallowed ranks of hot dumb thembo.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

Meiteron posted:

In Lightfall, you will be discovering another aspect of Darkness - something completely new, something no one in the history of the universe has ever found before!

Except for all your enemies, they will have all developed shields that use it immediately. They're really good at that.

The very first cutscene after you learn to use Strand has some enemies running out, grabbing all your green string off the ground, and wearing it on their heads

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

syntaxfunction posted:

But as far as damage issues go, I don't see them coming up. You'd have to avoid activity weapons, seasonal archetypes and any weapons that match the acute burn SURGE which is gonna be pretty hard to do.

The problem is, this is another Choice You Make In Orbit -- plus, when it's this complicated, there's no way people who don't use mods / don't know how to choose subclass fragments / don't understand armor elements / etc, will understand why they get more damage sometimes and not at other times.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

Part of me hates it because this AI voice stuff skeeves me out and in some ways, strikes me as low effort.

But also I'm laughing.

The people making videos like this are the real-life equivalent of Ana Bray, trying to teach the machine to be shitposter

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

At bungie you have the “let’s flatten everything out and make the game simple” folks on one side, the “number go up more materials and mods and greebles” folks on the other side, and every day they vote to chop the baby in half

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

dodgeblan posted:

I have a horrible sinking feeling that lightfall is going to end with the Traveler deciding that humanity IS super special and that it was wrong to abandon other races in the past

which will make me feel stupid for paying so much attention to this poo poo for the last 10 years

It's gonna end with some real "god the Traveler works in mysterious ways" poo poo that indicates the only way to unite all the different sentient species in peace was to get the light and dark conflict to happen like this.

If Amanda dies and comes back as a guardian, is there any kind of legal or HR process to make sure that Crow doesn't try to date her?

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

PERMACAV 50 posted:

… why would there need to be?

If you try to date someone and it goes badly, and they lose their memories for whatever reason, it would be predatory to immediately go for it again.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

No but like
why is he attempting to date her, in this weird hypothetical of yours?

It seems to be the narrative that the writers have constructed over the last couple years, up to and including the time they had an argument and then sat in their rooms sniffling and sobbing while looking at the gifts they'd already picked out for each other.

PERMACAV 50 posted:

Guardian-Person is literally not the same person as Previous-Human-Person, we had a whole plot line about this in Haunted involving Crow not being Uldren, which is why it would be extra funny for him to date Guardian-Not-Amanda

They proved this in like, a philosophy/ontology way, sure but there's gotta be some kind of HR standards among the vanguard

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Crow: tabula rasa, new ghost who dis, cannot be held accountable for his past but also does not inherit Uldren's kingdom

Guardian Holliday: It's just Amanda w/ Amnesia

If Guardian Holliday has a southern accent and serves as the ship/sparrow vendor, it's definitely Amanda with Amnesia

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

PERMACAV 50 posted:

Don’t forget dear old Banshee-44 aka Clovis-43+1, he forgets enough for all of us

He's not a guardian, that's just exo-dementia

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

It's more that, by default the writers treat risen as same-as-their-previous-self*, and then occasionally choose to explore the tabula rasa stuff with specific characters.

edit: to be more accurate, by default it doesn't come up

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

I thought Osiris drank Nezarec

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

It shows that Bungie doesn’t actually design intentionally around youtubers, as this effectively removes the need for anything like a build video

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

Also shout out to Shadow Legion Centurion from quest step two, first guy in the universe to use Strand

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

Pirate Jet posted:

The clip of someone asking John Carpenter “what the hell happened with Escape From LA” except it’s me asking Joe Blackburn “Witch Queen was great what the hell happened with Lightfall”

Witch Queen was great but the people who made it thought it was a detective story, so there’s already a clear disconnect between directorial intent and the product.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

Nimbus's queer identity isn't explored, and has nothing to do with the plot or the narrative. I'm only about 70% through the campaign but I'm not really expecting Nimbus to have a wistful conversation about what it means to be one of the only two people with a body in a city of digital before this is all up. What does gender mean to the average citizen of Neomuna? Does the freedom of sky-surfing represent transcending societal norms, or is it just cop poo poo?

Lightfall definitely seems like a directorial blunder, not exactly a writing one. It's mostly a self-contained television episode that, if it connects to core Destiny narrative/lore, does so by repeating and retreading previous ideas.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I feel the core of the issue if bungie wanting to have these wildly different settings and tone between expansions to make them stand out on their own while also trying to tell this fairly straightforward story of the encroaching darkness. Unfortunately for them, the cyberpunk neon future silver surfer quippy protectors being introduced at the same time the witness is finally here and loving poo poo up real good after we spent a whole rear end year building up his arrival feels mistimed.

Just based on week 1, I think Lightfall should have focused entirely on Earth’s siege and the Witness attack keeping that desperate fighting impossible odds tone while the Neptune/Neomuna stuff should have been the wild seasonal content that explores the fringes of the system as we go through the year collecting the pieces to properly fight back.

I agree. Before Lightfall came out I was hoping the last city got wrecked and thus we had to evacuate everyone to Neomuna. The story would actually have higher stakes, plus the added tension of Terrans and Neomunans adapting to each other.

Roctavian fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Mar 1, 2023

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

To be fair there are (good and fair) arguments that they shouldn’t HAVE to explore it or that the identity should be able to be explored indirectly almost by dropping Nimbus’ personality into the story in media res and seeing how it plays out.

Unfortunately Bungie’s current writers don’t seem good enough to handle the character under any approach.

Yeah I get those arguments & also the writing of Nimbus has some really important things right -- they're happy to be who they are, they're kind and helpful, etc.

It's more noticing that there's things within the setting that the story could be about, but instead it is about nothing.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

So, in retrospect, every puzzle in WQ where we had to activate Deepsight and platform around a tower going upward must have originally been "unlock strand" zone/missions.

Thematically, all the zany Fynch stuff about "seeing connections" plus the evidence board plus strand would be a single conceptual thing. The vibe relates to how the Krill and Humanity and everybody is all bound by some thread of life. Altar of Reflections stuff was probably green and thread-themed rather than mirror-themed. I mean there's tons of threads and ropes and poo poo hanging in there already.

And since all the story was loaded into WQ and the various mechanical advances and upgrades get pushed back to Lightfall, well this must account for how the writing feels rushed in LF.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

It's not true but roctavian makes a good case for it. Witch Queen environments were made After the decision was made to focus on Light reworks in year 5 and push the new darkness class to year 6. At this time Strand didn't even have an identity or name, let alone mechanics that would have influenced their campaign environments

The reason why Strand fits so well into WQ's themes and so poorly into LF's is because bungie is incompetent at in game story telling

I used strand to figure this out, it might not be true in reality but it’s paracasually true

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

What sucks about the final battle is that it's just exodus crash

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

Giving up the grapple for more threadlings is pretty good on warlock I'm finding

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

Whatever freak invented three currencies for transmog, five currencies for weapon crafting, etc. just moved over to the triumphs department and switched from "inventory object" to "menu rectangle"

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

You will enjoy the final shape!

Oh you rascally leakreader

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

Wish-Ender should get a catalyst that makes it Strand, and get some kind of interaction when you shoot through multiple folks at once

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

I'm crashin bad on terminal overrides and that new exotic mission, I have actually otherwise been enjoying playing recently as the narrative blunders of recent times matter to me as much as the narrative blunders of yore.

But we have to keep our complaints evergreen: the new Astrotracts ornament for warlocks is designed to go with the ugliest exotic in the game, and lights up like a magic item from morrowind? Why is this here?

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

yaaas

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

This is another good example of a raid that isn't too built around well of radiance and bubble

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

It’s just so hard to tell what Bungie design philosophy is, when any change to the game represents what they were thinking a year ago, six months ago, a month ago, and now — blended together and then spit out into a sandbox that probably no individual developer at Bungie anticipates ahead of time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

Parasite is pretty good vs Calus during his first phase