Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Looking forward to another strand-type game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

arsenicCatnip posted:

those president destiny memes absolutely kill me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x6HCDMBUHI

im cry laughing

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

Is it really too hard to believe that the witness is some formless entity, and is therefore using this shape as a form?
Meaning it can be whatever the gently caress size it needs to be, at any time?

If he can choose how he looks then that would sort of beg the question of why he chooses to look like an albino edgelord smoke machine and I don't think Bungie wants people pulling on that thread.

Alternatively, if he can only change his size and nothing else then that feels like a kind lame power only given to him for cinematic purposes which is again not the thing Bungie wants you thinking about when looking at him.

TBH I can't definitively say what they actually want us thinking with him. He's strange and unique sure, but not at all intimidating and actually a little sad. I feel like I'm looking at the Destiny version of a blobfish god

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

I'll forgive ghosts for being dumb and I'm sure a ghost somewhere at some point tried to revive a cat to no avail.

What I don't understand is why the Traveler let Hive be revived. I played the whole Witch Queen and still don't fully understand that

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Oxyclean posted:

Well Reckoning had a hard fail state, so that could get kind of frustrating. (I can't remember if you lost your currency on a failed run.)

Because they're treated as mini-raids - they have a small degree of like, puzzle mechanics and could conceivably be quite frustrating to do with the lowest common denominator player. Some of them very much benefit from voice communication.

I also just don't think it's a good fit for matchmaking. I found it a bit arduous carrying some friends through spire for their first time - but they were on comms with me and long time players. It was still a lot of fun, but it was a lot of work. Obviously I could just avoid matchmaking for a Spire if I don't want to carry noobs through, but i feel like it's going to be an incredibly rough experience when 3 randos with no idea get stuck together.

The in-game LFG coming at the end of the year should go a long way to smoothing this over - once that's around, I think a small speed bump of actually having to commit to a manual group is a good filter for player will/expectations. In the meantime, the LFG on bungie's website is an option if you dont wanna get goons from overchill to help you.\

Put a warning up on the MM screen with big scary letters if Bungie cares that much

Let me wade in the mud if I want. If I get bad teammates I'll just orbit and try again. Don't selectively keep this feature off that's patronizing.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Oxyclean posted:

Again, the point is the LFG system (which already exists, but is stupidly out of game till Season 23) is supposed to cover these sorts of things. If you're apathetic enough to be willing to run with whoever, then slapping up an LFG post on bungie.net that says "Spire No Mic" will probably get you players real quick. The LFG tool on the website isn't half bad because there's a straight up "send invite" button that will attempt to invite signsup in game - no additional typing or copy-pasting needed on your part.

I think without a little bit of friction, matchmaking players would give themselves a much worse experience and would probably just complain rather then find friends/use comms/etc.

If it can be, and commonly is, soloable then I should be able to matchmake it. Let me do all the work while I carry 2 knuckleheads who just shoot whatever. Maybe they'll rez me if I make a mistake.

But I don't wanna talk to them. Ew.

Again, I get that it's not for everyone. But Bungie tut tutting going "well then maybe it's not for anyone" is patronizing. This how I wanna play - I wanna watch a youtube video on a dungeon, learn the mechanics, and feel it out with randos as I try to do everything as if I was solo (and not talk to them). I really don't see how this is fundamentally different than a strike.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

What are the odds Telesto breaks or breaks something else and has to be turned off next season?

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

If Calus is killable im gonna pull midnight coup out of the vault to do it to em

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

*with a thousand yard stare, mumbling to myself like a degenerate* "Gonna play Destiny in 20 minutes. Just 20 minutes, yup. Gonna play real soon..."

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

new exotic requires you to

1) use your ammo

and then

2) get shot at

and then

3) face the shot and block it

to get the engine going. And then even after that the melee doesn't proc volatile rounds.

So trash it's a cry for help. So trash it necessitates a wellness check on the designer. I kinda feel bad. People made this. They made it with good intentions.

sure okay fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Mar 7, 2023

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Stasis Freezeman

Burn Solarman

Arc Shockman

Suppressor Voidman

Strand Grappleman

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Also today I farting around with a Stasis NTTE build and I was shocked, shocked at how little damage it did.

Final Warning does, no hyperbole, at least 6 times the DPS (including NTTE's :evilbuddy:).

Solar still feels good though. Polaris is great for builds where you just wanna plink from afar as your teammates swing in to medium range. It's a chill Nightfall build.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

hey guys look at me, floating in the open air, soaking shots from every enemy on this planets entire hemisphere.

But at least I have better accuracy!

(airborne builds need tuning)

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Mango Polo posted:

Warlocks be feasting, buddy.

Starfire reigns supreme, if you remove it from the equation then Rain of Fire and Sunbracers make for perfectly viable solar builds.
Contraverse is still excellent for constant giant vortex grenades and Verity's Brow is right there for a different flavor of making GBS threads out grenades.
Osmiomancy defines stasis warlock by making GBS threads out bleak watchers, and now you have Ballidorse for an instant swap in the same slot to boost up your super.
Arc is in a bleh spot, but Fallen Sunstar does some work to keep your neutral game going.
Necrotic is carrying strand warlock, and Eye of Another World is also great with the strand kit.
Ophidians dominate PvP and Transversive are excellent all over. The Stag used to be great in PvP, but I don't know how the sandbox and damage breakpoints have evolved now.

Fallen Sunstar + Delicate Tomb will get you more nades per min than any solar build, and you can take that to the vault.

It revolves around special ammo though. Builds that need special more than others feel insanely strong for most content, but can sputter out hard whenever you dont have it.

Osteo + Grips builds are popular because theyre extremely reliable, and heavy on collateral damage. But their single target dps is poop and they just dont have that “things killed per minute” forward velocity that special ammo builds have when getting into the flow.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Hyped for Iron Banana next week. Gonna try a lot of builds before eventually settling on Jotunn toasts again. Or maybe not! I want a good Bite of the Fox.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Black Talon with catalyst will surprise you with how much damage it does. If you spend all your heavy this way you can probably get the most bang for your buck of any heavy weapon.

The issue is that it requires a lot of mental space to always be parrying and then shooting. You'll probably get killed by something else just concentrating so hard.

I tried to make it work at one point. It's a really cool build, visually. And with mods you can keep it going in a NF pretty much the whole run. But yeah, miss a block and you're effed.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

I liked the idea of Coldheart - this bucking bronco laser with damage to make it worth it - but then the catalyst made it way more steady and new weapons came in to outshine it.

I think a heavy version that doesn't shy away from "after holding the trigger for more than 1.5 seconds this things gonna try and fly out of your hands" type gun I think they're fun

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

A heavy ammo handcannon 6 shooter that you reload 1 bullet at a time.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

Lmao there's a shrine to Holliday.

Where's the shrine of the Speaker? He was another nothing character that got killed.

Zavala has his mask in his office, I believe.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

I bought Final Shape today because im a huge whale bitch and I tried *really hard* this morning to get the new fusion work but man do I just haaaate guns that have these long loading animations to do their Special Thing.

As a grapple hunter with 2 nade charges and all the mods to support maximum nades I had absolutely 100% uptime on the gun, which does dumptruck amounts of damage but has to long reload the special shot every time and got me killed way more than any other build.

I tried to play the game on the games terms and felt punished. A familiar feeling. :sigh:

Also another issue with new stuff, I tried the hunter Strand aspect that leaves a decoy behind on dodge and I learned the hard way that it most definitely does not pull certain enemies off you. Explode-y butterflies will still chase you, and any boss that lobs volleys at you will not redirect their volleys. A shittier version of Void's stealth dodge.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Roctavian posted:

Pretty pumped for the radiant / precision / ignition stuff in the artifact

Eriana's Vow is back, baby! *wolfhowl*

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Blasted through 75 season levels this weekend to get all the goodies, after not playing since week 1 earlier this year.

The story takes on some amusing elements when mainlining nearly every week of content all in a single afternoon.

Every character does this nonstop handwringing about whether Eris is gonna lose herself or whatever. I'm talking like at least 20+ separate conversations about this topic, many from Ikora radio messages. It got tiresome, but then in the last like 5 looped around to being funny. Is this all people talk about in the world of Destiny?

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

drat Bungie whyd you have to nerf my Osteo. Not cool

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Which is great in a season with no anti champ special for taking a chunk out of something that's causing problems. It just feels so much less fun.

I noticed this too and thought "well gee I guess I'll rely on abilities to stun champs" and so now I have perma-radiant for anti-shield and it never ever works lol

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Season of the Icarus Dash

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

If your variable name is good enough, sometimes they let you keep it

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Collateral Damage posted:

Time limited missions suck.

#1 cause of me taking a break.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

im really dumb because every time I MM for onslaught it always ends at 10 waves. Am I missing something? Can you not MM it beyond 10 waves?

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Everyone talks about weapons and perks and such and Im sitting here with my sunshot, auto-loading sniper, an auto-loading solar rocket launcher like its 2018 just mindlessly rolling through content by taking the artifact perks with the icons that match my guns/element without even reading them.

I've been doing this for years now I feel like I miss out on a lot of what Destiny is, because I have hundreds of hours in this game and I had to actually look up what Frenzy is.

Like, the guns this season look super cool and have great looking perks. But can they play the game for me by having an enemy explode into another enemy which explodes into another enemy? Maybe a little bit but not like Sunshot

What also sucks is that I feel compelled to use Starfire Protocol because its just a bonkers exotic armor. But it's so goddamn ugly that I dont even wanna play barbie fashion dressup

The game makes me try other guns, and I do try and even make builds around them but I feel so weak like why are exotics so goddamn good?

My other build revolves around Thunderlord and its the same problem. 100% uptime in easy content, and still viable in raids. I'm a one gun chump!

sure okay fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Apr 17, 2024

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

I failed twice fighting Calus solo using Strand as Hunter. I switched to my usual Void stealth build with Frost-ees and Wavesplitter and it became a breeze.

What the gently caress does damage matter when the enemy can never see you? I doubt even Osiris could answer that. Also a supercharged wavesplitter did just as much as any Strand weapon I tried on him

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Speaking of Catalysts I was extremely underwhelmed by Ager's Scepter.

Stasis never really clicked with me but I figured Id give it a shot in onslaught. It's decent, save for the minor flaw of never having a super. Warlock stasis super is bad in general, but feeding it into a gun somehow feels worse.

I switched back to solar just in time for my Well to be up for the wave 40 boss and an ally literally typed "TY" in chat. With their fingers. I couldnt believe it.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

The little turret dudes are nice but I hate anything that involves having to charge up a grenade. It gets me killed a lot and makes me mad!

Like, just make it a grenade aspect so I can throw it instantly. I've never thought, like, "oh wow sometimes I want the turret and other times I want a cold snap grenade." If Im going turret bois then I'm only making turrets, period.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

syntaxfunction posted:

As an addendum, Fighting Lion is, in fact, very cool and fun. Just in case there was any confusion.

Also real talk my pet peeve is when someone asks why I'm running a legendary primary not an exotic, because the answer is *always* "because I'm running an exotic special or heavy". It isn't their fault tho, I wish I was running an exotic primary too, but you can't run double exotics, and you can't run double special as effectively now so not much choice.

So instead I'm almost always running a Hand Cannon, or something that I can play a half dozen buffs into to make it relevant. Because buffing primaries in general is apparently blasphemy.

I run a lot of Exotic specials and for most seasons theyve been great. It makes the ammo, ammo amount, and ammo pickup mods suddenly extremely high value.

This is the season of the Sunshot though, no doubt about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Sonys gonna make them spin up retro D2Y1 servers at some point