Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Scintilla posted:

I imagine it having Slenderman-style long arms and fingers.

if you don't have adorable sub-arms, are you even trying?
(not hotlinking, its a non-bt mech render)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Scintilla posted:

As for the AC/2, I think I would re-class it as its own thing. It has a niche, unlike the current AC/5.

The best brainspark I've had for the ac/2 is this: turn it into a rapid fire/tri-barrel thing, but in a way that keeps it easy to use and keeps it in the anti-aircraft role:

You roll 3d6 for your attack, and compare each pair independantly.
ie, 5, 6 , 2 makes 11, 7, 8, so its potentially an ac 2-6

maybe do the same thing for the ac5.

I think more common use of quirks could also go a long way towards making AC's better: There's a fairly simple tradeoff that makes use of their low heat generation, which are the cooling jacket negatives paying for accurate or stabilized weapon.
An ac5 sucks, an ac5 at -1 or -2 to-hit is a lot more interesting.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

iirc its a piloting skill roll, but not sure if there's a modifier, and I think it costs a few points of movement.

I seem to recall there's a reason 'careful stand' is a widely used houserules. IIRC its a substantial bonus but uses all your movement.

From what I understand trying to stand can be a death sentence with gyro hits, or.. whichever crit hits adds penalties to PSR tests.

if someone else could more specifically answer the questions, I don't know the amounts or further details off the top of my head.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Off the cuff, in terms of pure cbills
the stinger is worth +400k after repairs for 6%
the phoenix hawk is +1.378mil for 17% salvage
The trebuchet is +1.133mil for 16%
the firestarter is +166 for 8%

It would be over the salvage limit by 1% to grabthe stinger, phoenix hawk, and trebuchet.
IS that something that can be worked around?

plan a
Repair Phoenix hawk and Trebuchet (or repair one, mothball the other)
Strip the Goblin (spare large lasers are worth having and worth 100k) and
strip the medium and small lasers off the galleons, then sell the carcass
sell the firestarter, stinger, scorpion

I am not particularly invested in specific mechs, so feel free to take this and change it around. If you feel we need a firestarter on teh team, go for it!

Plan b
repair the phonix hawk, trebuchet, and stinger
strip the goblin for large laser, and the mediumsmall lasers of the Galleons, then sell the rest. (vehicle wrecks, firestarter, scorpion)

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Aug 10, 2023

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Cool, thanks. Plan b it is then

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

recruit Gudrun Magos.
Sim junkie on reserve duty? That's one we can actually use. I think she'll make an okay trainer with someone to watch over her shoulder - and point out real world experience trumps sim scores.

Just the one, tho, but I don't care if y'all add a +1 to that.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Also how much is 4xp acutally worth? like, what can you buy with that?

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Fair enough, and thanks!

I was noticing mister no-filter has 8, and was wondering if it was enough to buy him some gunnery or not, and didn't have any frame of reference.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Amechwarrior posted:

C is the financially sound choice. So my vote is for D because I want to see where this goes. 50% BLC and it's the perfect place to let the new pilots integrate in a low intensity environment. Than and a mystery box prize at the end intrigues me. It could be anything, even a boat!

I'll agree with this. I approve of contract d!

Why play optimal when you can play fun?

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Scintilla posted:

I think I'll call this one The Duality of Zweihandering, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Punch an Annihilator in the Face So Hard My Left Arm Came Off.

Look at me, I'm the Annihilator now
Annihilator of what?
Everything

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Players always win initiative; because otherwise it requires movement interleaving which just doesn't work in a PbP format.

A surprise ace or two being the exception because instead of alternating moves its just one at the end, after the players go

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Scintilla posted:

“MekTek. My technicians assured me that they were the most realistic pods we could afford.”

OH man, that lampshade :allears:. I think I see where this is going/coming from tho and... I don't wanna spoil it if so.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Koorisch posted:

Ah yes, the Hornet, the walking egg mech.

how is this this hilarious little thing not as infamous/loved as the urbie? I've never seen that art before, but its got that eggshell theme down pat!

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Sep 6, 2023

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Scintilla posted:

-Anything else I personally find amusing.

.... hand held weapons with the fluid gun, but its just paint/obscurant ammo.

maybe an oil slick for maximum scoobydoo

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Slavvy posted:

I was thinking the same thing but the sentinel is on +2, I don't think I've got the movement to get LOS on the hornet and get a meaningful chance to hit, I could take a long range shot at the enemy wolverine but that's also pretty suboptimal

But I'm also bad at numbers

A while back I was struck by the thought of 'how much difference is a +/-1 in battletech anyway, since 2d6 is a sliding scale around 7 being common, and ran the numbers through anydice.

Tldr, about 8-13% per +-. but up to 16% if it crossed the sweet spot zone.
(the % number on the left is how common that roll in particular is, so it goes up or down by that amount; if you want the per-shot difference there, if you want the combined odds use the red # for :xcom: percentages)

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Sep 13, 2023

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Thanks, this matches what my gut told me. Realistically my only other option (besides not shooting at all this turn, yuck) would be sniping at the wolverine from 1216, which if I'm working it out right would put me at needing to roll 7 to hit with the LL? Which in XCOM terms based on the chart posted earlier puts me at around a 50/50 chance to hit.

Sorry, I thought you knew the basics! Otherwise I would have been more verbose

Remember, move modifier(yours) are based on the movement type(+0 stand still, +1 walking, +2 running, +3 jumping) while the incoming fire is based on how far you moved.

If you reverse walk to 2119, for example, you can unload on the Sentinel at range 6:
This would mean: gunnery 4 + medium range all weapons(2) + 1 walked +2 Target move mod = 9's. This would block line of sight to everyone but the sentinel and griffin, but your own to-get-hit #'s would be lower in return.

Don't knock sniping though! Being able to shoot targets at medium when its their long or too long to shoot is a considerable advantage!
This is also why cover is important: most forest/terrain obstacles you can get in add +1 for incoming fire but not outgoing.

If you ran to 1318 (behind the hills to the left) and get in the shrubs, be able to shoot the wolverine on the left at range 12, (so, gunnery 4 + running 2 + 4 long range +1 TMM = 11's.
The other wolverine shoots back with its AC5 at medium range ( gunnery 5 + running 2 + medium range 2 + 1 TMM(yours, for hexes moved) + 1 terrain =11's). This isn't a great move, but its an okay example of trading fire and limiting your exposure. Their gun engages at a better range modifier

Gwaihir posted:

Anything you try and do in Battletech (Shooting, standing up, avoiding getting stuck in the mud, punching) needs you to roll 2 six sided dice. You always want to roll the required number or higher, and because of the probability of different combinations on the two dice, the closer you get to 12 the lower your chance of success is.

So people being like "Needs 8+ to hit" means you need to roll 8 or higher.
This, but also the rule of thumb almost everyone knows is 'the most common result on 2 six sided die is 7'. Its not like 1d20

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Slavvy posted:

I'm now thinking I should reverse to 1319 and fire my LL at the sentinel, it seems like my best chance of a hit and puts me out of LOS of the hunchback and griffin, I'm not particularly worried about the ac5 on the other wolverine.

This is one of the picky things about reverse movement: that move won't do what you want, and you also can't reverse elevation changes. (veteran players correct me if i'm wrong, is it just uphill thats disallowed?)

1319 doesn't have line of sight to the sentinel due to vertical height. 2214, the hill the sentinel is behind, is height 1 so you can shoot over the cover(there might be a +1 to hit involved, i forget, but there's definitely a chance of damage to the legs hitting the hill instead); if you move down to -1 elevation yourself then its definitely blocked.

1418, one hex short, does have vertical line of sight, but you're exposed to alot more fire there.

The reason for this is mechs are 2 height, so 1 height difference you can shoot over. If its easier to imagine, You can think of 1 height terrain as your friendly video game Chest High Walls.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

iirc, 1 per hex min 3.

You can get up to +4 heat without penalty. 5 is -1 mp!

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Right so firing the two ML's and SRM after jumping five hexes should put me at 2 heat build up when all is said and done, that seems reasonable

You might've missed it with the other rules talk/unfamliarity but you also have an opportunity to kick from there. Its a little risky, i think if you miss there' a piloting test to fall, but I don't know off the top of my head how it works.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

ilmucche posted:

I wonder how pilot hits and PSRs for pilot damage work in the simulation. Does a little notification pop up on screen and go "you're unconscious!"

It shakes you a lot and makes you do a dirty quicktime event!

if you let the shaking get to you and whiff, clearly you failed

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Ok so I can't jump, this leaves me thinking like my best option is to stand up carefully and either unload on the sentinel to get it out of our lives, or see if I can take another couple of shots at the hunchback as I'm loathe to let him get away

What scintilla was tryign to say is you could, for example, is you could :
try to get up and move
try to get up twice and move
up to four times.

5+ is pretty generous!

The benefit to non-careful standing is you get a regular defensive move modifier through being able to move after, and careful standing gets you nothing. In short, its there for when you start racking up gyro hits and piloting penalties from actuator damage... or are too badly beat up that another fall can cripple you for good.

To put this into practice, if you succeed on the first go, you can back up a few hexes or move forward.

The comedy option would be to succeed on the second go, grab a cactus and bonk the hornet. (That does put you in a position where the hornet -can- kick you, but I don't think it has the tonnage to justice foot your head off)

If you fail to stand, I think you fall again (and can take more damage that way), but sometimes taking the 5 point hit is better than giving your enemies guns free shots.
Its something you'll have to weigh!

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

The lrm has minimum range penalty (6 hexes) at least, but the ppc yeah

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Bloody Pom posted:

Our boy Etienne really likes preaching from his silly little hill doesn't he?

Looks like my best move is 0819. Lets me shoot the Wolverine's rear (on 11s but a rear shot is a rear shot), and with the +3 move mod and intervening woods makes it impossible for the Griffin to shoot me (13 to hit if I'm reading correctly).

If you're not skylining yourself with a ppc and/or lrms are you really playing MWO?

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

painedforever posted:

I did mean 1216, thank you. I'm having trouble reading the grid numbers.

More evidence of the degradation of this post-Star League Era. In the good old days, they could've fixed my eyes...

When in doubt, check the top or bottom edge of the board. its a lot easier to see if relevant hex # is at the top or bottom of the hex.

(its at the top fyi).

Had to do this the other day, figured i'd pass it along.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

earlier when I was checking the map, I saw an O.K move if anyone wants to capitalize on the griffin. 1717 should block LOS to the hunchback but have a clean shot at the griffin; but only the gladiator and /or shadow hawk can get there.
1716 might clip the hex and block the hunchie's los, but its hard for me to tell. If it does, both those mechs have a chance to really take advantage of the move mod it (doesn't) have.

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Oct 2, 2023

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Slavvy posted:

:sigh: I find myself out of position yet again

Its not as bad as it looks. One of the strengths of the large laser is you have a ten hex medium, and you can trade with medium lasers all day (long at 9, can't fire at 10).

A run to 1710 puts you at 10 hexes to the griffin.

A jump to 1711 puts you at 9 so you can use the other weapons, but you know, heat.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

the major win would be critting out the hunch's ac10 or its ammo from the rear.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Slavvy posted:

I'm going to spend the rest of this match just chasing LOS aren't I?

Nah! you've got one really good move on the table this turn. Do you want to hear about it, or figure it out yourself?

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Thats the one. it is, and you'll be at range 7 to the hunchback

Funnily enough, both the heavy hitters are beat up on the same side. the shadow hawk and trebuchet both might want to think about using facing to present their their left side to be shot.

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Oct 7, 2023

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Yeah idk, I'm extremely bad at working out the ranges on this stuff but I can't count anything but 6 hexes to 1112

I just eyeball things in paint and draw a line if have to, if you're at 6 hexes, great!

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Does the low profile/glancing hits rule work against physical attacks, or can you just like, walk up and punch the commando out without worrying about it scraping?

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Rorahusky posted:

Don't worry, if we land a kick, that'll be a PSR he'll have to make, and you always auto-fail Pilot Skill Rolls when you're shut down.

Are you gonna push shove again so he falls into the mud this time?

There's also a cactus at 2320 if someone (trebuchet is closest) wants to go for the cactus bonk.

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Oct 22, 2023

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

but when life gives you lemons, why not shoot for style points?

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

biosterous posted:

losing your entire command due to incompetence, and then overheating and getting pushed into the mud, and then the enemies just surround you and kick you in the shins/face seems pretty humiliating to me

You can't jump the same turn you stand either, can you? I figure one type of MP precludes another so...

you get at least two turns of guaranteed melee range. More if you knock that right leg off.
Thats actaully a pretty comparable move: shoot the leg off, shove him out the way, then club him with his own leg while he can't stand up to do anything about it.

Bonus points for stop hitting yourself

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Scintilla posted:

“Today was a good day.” Yukiko replied simply. Alexander waited, but she didn’t elaborate.

and the follow up

Today was good day
royal jerk thrown in pig sty
now we drink our beer

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Volmarias posted:

I'll buy the first round
I'll also buy the next round
gently caress it drinks on me :yotj:

slap prince inna face
show 'im he's a waste of space
griffin barbeque

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

I'd personally vote for option D: Let the next pilot figure out what the refit was (even if it means retroactively)

in lieu of that being on the table, B seems best.

Remember, two things: 1) a ton of armor is 16 points, so that'll bring the bucket up to 19 on the side torsos which is plenty.
2) if you don't like it, you can do the refit later!

The more cbills the unit has, the closer we are to buying new rides (or having enough in the bank for egregious repairs and unit losses later on).

This contract is the perfect time to save!

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Would it be worth dropping a medium down to a small to fit an extra jet?

on one hand, you lose some midrange, on the other hand, thats what your srms are for and you gain some heat efficiency back!

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

aniviron posted:

I love the training vignettes! Some lovely characterization in them.

Map looks like it should be a fun one. Good luck to the players!

yes!

I'd love to see Etienne and Cosette switch rides for a mission. let the princeling see how the royal guard-ette commands, and get a sense for what his bodyguard's ride is actually capable of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

the one trapping for mercensaries to watch out for: Developing a sudden case of ' Getting ideals', instead of playing for cash prizes.

But, its a training exercise! having the trainees improve is a good thing!