Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

AtomikKrab posted:

I don't have time right now to sign up but i'm watching with interest.

i sent in a signup with the request of "please always do my moves for me, my schedule is weird and i can't commit to giving orders but i want to see if i blow dudes up or get blown up"

so if i'm the one person who signed up, then you can probably do the same! and if i'm not, then, lol welp that's fine too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

hmm. torn between A and D, i like the salvage on both. gonna flip a coin.

looks like A is my vote!

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

i plan to run up to 1414 and :rolldice: my large laser at the javelin

(unless i have no LOS from there, in which case i'm moving to 1315 instead and :rolldice: from there)

i also have never played any battletech outside the Mechwarrior games, and that was decades ago :yayclod:

i have picked up a bit more from grey hunter's HBS Battletech LP, so i think focusing down the javelin and maybe cooking off its SRMs would be cool and good

biosterous fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Mar 1, 2023

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

yeah i submitted my order too

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

with the three of y'all on the wasp, i think i will head to 1115 and keep some more fire on the javelin

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

hmm, don't want to get my wolverine too surrounded, don't want to get punched by the shadow hawk, don't want to expose my back to the whitworth... suggestions, pilots?

e: ^ with that in mind, i'm now thinking of jumping into the water in 0717 and opening up on the wounded javelin or the shadowhawk. not sure how much extra heat i'd dump in the water (if any - idk if it works like hbs battletech or not). need to know before i decide how many weapons to fire :)

biosterous fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 8, 2023

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

going for a dip and shooting the shadow hawk, orders submitted!

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

^ i certainly wouldn't mind you keeping the javelin off my back :yayclod:

if i'm in 0617 facing 0717, is the shadow hawk in my arc, or would i need more movement/turning?

does the elevation difference (depth 1 shooting at 0 elevation) add difficulty, or maybe count as an extra tile of difference?

current plan is get nice and close while staying in the water and firing all my short-range weapons, while dumping most of my excess heat

i'm also still unsure about heat calculations, but if i can also fire my large laser while still getting getting out of heat penalty range then i'll be doing that too

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

excellent, thank you! i'll do some more deciding now that i know :)

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

i am continuing to go wading + opening up on the shadow hawk with my close range weapons, at close range :c00l:

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

what are my options with standing up + movement? it's not in the quickstart pdf or the lpix guide

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

panther jumping behind the wasp to try and finish it off sounds great, as does the gladiator and stinger focusing on the javelin

not sure if i should keep trying to duel with the shadow hawk, or risk running up behind the javelin to shoot its back (and expose my back to the s.hawk)

does stepping from a depth 1 water tile to a regular terrain tile cost 1 movement, or 2? any piloting checks for exiting water?

i'd also consider jumping but going off of sarna.net i think that most of my jumpjets are in my legs and i know i can't use them while they're submerged

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

now that i know i can dart behind the s.hawk and still keep heat low, it is time for fisticuffs (and also my non-arm-mounted guns)! that rear armour is looking nice and thin right now

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Scintilla posted:

, but the Shadow Hawk at least is fighting to the bitter end.

i am happy to comply with his wishes :getin:

just gonna run up behind it and keep blasting

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

locked in, moving up a bit to fire on the javelin, leaving the s.hawk for the gladiator

do some gladiating, AJ_Impy!

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

also voting Circlmaster/Yukiko Ishimura/Panther PNT-9R for basically taking a unit out of the fight right off the bat, and Lucas Shaw/Shadow Hawk SHD-2H for always being the scariest thing on the field and using all his tools whenever they were handy

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

i put a lot of effort into breaking that shadow hawk and now i would like to put effort into unbreaking it

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

lots of terrain height differences on this map compared to last one, will be interesting to see how that affects things

good luck ruby lance!

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

i forgot that i had not posted this thing i found https://bt-buddy.firebaseapp.com/#/

it helped me plan my shots, way easier to just punch in the distance + movement + stuff and let it do the math and show me the odds, than trying to do it on my own

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

are vehicles extra vulnerable to melee, or is that something HBS made up for the videogame?

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

narrow profile already coming quite handy :toot:

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

aniviron posted:

This is a fun piece of writing. I always look forward to the updates.

:emptyquote:

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

glwgameplayer posted:

[...]my first exposure was the strategy game on PC and I wasn't really around many other Battletech tabletop fans[...]

I don't know the rules of the tabletop game all that well but.

hi this is literally my situation when i signed up! i got shot a bunch but also i shot other stuff more, it was fun. if hope you get to pilot a mech and stomp and shoot things and have fun!

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Scintilla posted:

That's a fair suggestion. Is this any better?

yes this is great

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Amechwarrior posted:

Yeah, I'm kind :justpost: for everyone reading that isn't familiar with the rules.

i appreciate it!

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

colour indicates jumping tanks, lol

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

i like the way hbs battletech portrays short-range LRM attempts - the mech will launch them nearly straight up so they have time to arm and then they arc down to the target, to either get some cool hits or just explode harmlessly nearby. a clever way to combine the lore of LRMs needing time to arm with the game mechanic of technically being able to hit at short range if you roll really well and have lots of things in your favour

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Scintilla posted:

Whoops! Yep, that's an error. I'll fix that for the next update. Can you imagine a Cicada with hands? What a creepy thought.

i'm not sorry

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

just noticed "mood: justifiably worried" on the dead galleon, lmao

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

are there any other battletech novel authors that y'all would generally recommend? i'm guessing that stackpole will be, at minimum, competent and readable (i enjoyed his x-wing novels a bunch but haven't read them in a decade so maybe i am wrong)

Scintilla posted:

I know, right? It’s like naming one of your protagonist’s associates Jimmy Satan. It would be more shocking if he wasn’t evil.

jimmy satan is a pillar of this community and i am sick of people disparaging him!!

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

if you've got an android phone, FullReader is pretty good. easy to customize the colours (hooray for light grey text on dark grey background!), lets you set reading brightness independent of the rest of your phone's brightness, free (if you're connected to the web there's a banner ad at the bottom of the app, but if you switch to fullscreen it covers it. also if you've got no connect there's no ad and it never nags you about it)

i think i will pick up the bundle and try them in series-chronological order once i'm done my current book

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Calibre for managing the files + moving them all nicely sorted onto my phone, then the FullReader app for actually reading them

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

i was thinking about the cicada with hands earlier, and then i though about the fire moth/dasher and the falconer, and well,

behold, the falconmoth

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

falconer stl plus arms from fire moth stl plus my first time playing around with tinkercad

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

ilmucche posted:

We could just let them go. The tank will be abandoned next turn, the stinger will run. The infantry will surrender once both have gone. Could avoid some needless slaughter here (I say as I look at the map to try and figure out where that pilot landed)

presumably he's in 0911 with the commando wreckage

i'm tempted to vote for narrow/low profile as the MVP of this mission

e:

biosterous fucked around with this message at 14:40 on May 28, 2023

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

if you do manage to down the stinger, then the pirate captain has less intel, and one less mech to field

if you shoot at but fail to kill the stinger, the remaining pirates are probably less likely to expect you to let them peacefully withdraw, if it comes to that

if you let the stinger go, they'll have one more mech to field, but might be more amenable to negotiating?

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

player MVP vote: the Jenner, for the nice early crit on the Cicada, and getting successful shots on pretty much target it engaged with
enemy MVP vote: the Commando, for being a threat that players always had to stay conscious of and maneuver around (until it was time to swarm and murder it)

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

yeah, nothing here seems super appealing (but also i am still very new to tabletop battletech), so unless someone makes a convincing argument i'm voting to take nothing. it'll be nice to no longer have salvage debt from the shadowhawk, and also nice to potentially have a buffer if something really nice comes up on a later mission

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

forget all thoughts you have of making an ac/15 because you could headshot with it. what we need is an ac/16 so it can destroy exactly one ton of armour per volley

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Space Kablooey posted:

i don't know which side here is the stupid one: the one where they invented a thing before it had any use or the one that invented a thing designed to be defeated by yesteryear's tech

i can 100% buy people intentionally discounting the weakness to ECM at first, like,

"behold our new wonder weapon! and its only weakness is that horribly overweight ECM that nobody wants to use because of how useless it is! i am confident this will not lead our enemies to develop better ECM"

[...]

"oh. poo poo."