Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
This will never be rectified until Disney finally releases Irish Panther, the first ever white superhero movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Baby Driver is 100% Wright watching Drive & saying “I can do that too... the style of Scott Pilgrim!!!”, and in that sense it’s an enormous success.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Gareth and Gareth about equally good at entirely different things, which is pretty cool if you think about it.

Certainly better than Jareth (the goblin king).

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The Thing is a movie about paranoia. There is no alien intelligence 'behind'; the attacks. It's just people afflicted with an alien disease, trying not to be burned alive by the dude convinced that there's some evil force manipulating everything.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Predators is not a good movie at all, but it totally beat Expendables at its own concept.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Len posted:

Barbie looks real fun and not soulless at all?

Barbie is soulful corporate glop. It’s basically doing Pixar in live-action so, if you’ve seen Inside Out or Wreck It Ralph 2, you know pretty much exactly what to expect.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Neither of the Wreck It Ralphs were Pixar.

Disney-Pixar, whichever. Inside Out and Soul, if you prefer.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

I’m just making sure you stay accurate.

I’m referring to Pixar as, like, a genre. Like how an Xbox is a Nintendo.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I don't really care if Boppenheimer is "artroturfed" or not, because it's just promoting the abstract concept of a double-feature. Cinema!

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

FlamingLiberal posted:

Earlier on in the strike someone posted what it would actually cost the studios to just give the unions what they want and it was a pretty trivial number. The cruelty is the point. They care more about giving power than giving more money.

“It is true that profits would be higher under a regime of full employment than they are on the average under laissez-faire; and even the rise in wage rates resulting from the stronger bargaining power of the workers is less likely to reduce profits than to increase prices, and thus adversely affects only the rentier interests. But 'discipline in the factories' and 'political stability' are more appreciated than profits by business leaders. Their class instinct tells them that lasting full employment is unsound from their point of view, and that unemployment is an integral part of the 'normal' capitalist system.”

-Michal Kalecki

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Professor Shark posted:

God dammit Momoa

That’s clickbait. Momoa didn’t ‘allegedly’ do that stuff, because those aren’t allegations. The story’s source is (leaked?) notes written by Heard’s therapist.

In that context, Heard was privately discussing feeling triggered by seeing Depp-like clothing - obviously not alleging that Momoa purposefully dressed up in a Johnny Depp costume to harass her at work(?!).

The only question is whether Momoa showed up drunk for work once, to which the answer is ‘nobody knows’, and ‘do we actually care anyways.’

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Zelda movie should follow Link on a lengthy fetch-quest that ends with him obtaining the Biggoron Sword.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

What's Lucas been doing?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The term for a Star Wars movie based on Seven Samurai is a Battle Beyond The Stars.

I really like that Corman production, but there’s like a 0% chance that Rebel Moon is the weaker movie.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Alan Smithee posted:

so when is permabanned weirdo gonna show up and ask Tars

2067, according to the wiki.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Peloton instructor is half-right, because the time-magic mechanics of Tenet’s plot are so convoluted that they effectively cannot be explained in any detail.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Chairman Capone posted:

This is being described as the origin of Starfleet in the Kelvin timeline, which makes no sense because Starfleet was already established when the Kelvin timeline broke off.

Kirk and the gang constantly time-travelled to the past and hosed things up, changing the future in the process. This would affect future time-travel missions to the past and, therefore cause even more changes to both future and past - which would cause more changes, and more changes…. A different Kirk means a different history of the entire universe.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I thought the whole point of 28 Days Later was that the "Zombies" were all still alive, just lobotomized to the point where all they could do is vomit blood everywhere and skullfuck anyone within arms reach. They were so pissed they literally couldn't think about eating, meaning they were all going to die out in a few weeks due to starvation, exposure, etc.

In other words, why the gently caress is this getting another sequel?

They kept showing those chimps riot footage for some reason.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
If each zombie lives for a month, then you only need like 340 generations of them.

(Also the second movie established the existence of asymptomatic ‘carriers’.)

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I’m calling it now: Mme Web’s going to be good and weird, but people will be upset at how weird it is.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Nobody involved really gives a poo poo, this is the exploitation of a piece of IP that Sony managed to acquire as part of their Spider-Man license. Nobody at any level of the organization has any real passion for this, and it comes through constantly. The writers didn't care, the director didn't care, marketing doesn't care. Gimme money.

The issue here is that the suits at Sony have no idea what the difference is between Venom and Madame Web and Morbius, they're all Spider-Man people. Why is Venom hitting and Morbius a joke? Could it be that Venom was a well-liked character and Tom Hardy desperately wanted to play him and the director was interested because he was a fan as a kid? Not if you're a dumbass MBA suit who never read a comic book in your life!

That’s getting the causality backwards; Venom evinces ‘true soul and passion for the comics’ because it made money and you liked it.

If it hadn’t made money, then it wouldn’t be passionate.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Let's revisit this after Madame Web opens and then goes to streaming three weeks later, because I see your point and I'm not going to argue a movie I've seen vs. a movie that isn't out yet.

You don't need to wait that long: we have movies that were really super-duper accurate to the comics, & people were passionate about them, but they didn't make money and few people liked them. Batman & Robin 1997, for example.

We also have plenty of movies, that aren't at all accurate to the comics, that people were cool with.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Shageletic posted:

There's the level of detachment and work you need to appreciate Bay's work after Pain and Gain and I just don't have it in me lol. If Bay ever marries his style with an actual meaningful script then I might be interested in him again. The

I’ve yet to watch LA Ambulance, but 13 Hours and Six Underground are both real-rear end movies.

13 Hours is Bay at his most restrained and tasteful, basically doing a Pete Berg disaster picture (e.g. Patriots Day, Deepwater Horizon, Lone Survivor…).

Six Underground has a cliched premise of “what if superheroes were real, they must be really hosed in the head”, but is actually written with Watchmen nuance while staying nicely grounded - largely avoiding distracting comicbook tropes like costumes and magic and whatever. It’s about a billionaire murderer whose concept of ethics is influenced by comic books (or, more specifically, comic book movies).

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Sourdough Sam posted:

I believe a movie about a 50 foot woman will perform 100 times better today than it did back in the 50s knowing how people on the internet react. I for one am already in line for tickets.

I dunno if giantess fetishism is going to lead to that many sales.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Four separate biopics about the making of Yellow Submarine, with a twist reveal - at the end of hour 10 - that we’ve been following the voice actors and not the actual Beatles.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Tyler Perry’s Audience’s “Boo!”: A M4D34 Algorithm

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I’ve found Garland sus for a long while now, but he struck me more as a pretentious git than as a complete moron.

I have zero enthusiasm for the movie, but I’m willing to hope that he’s using the old American definition of “Right and Left” meaning, like, Red Team / Blue Team. That’s still stupid, but it’s a different, cynical kind of stupid.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

STAC Goat posted:

My impression about Garland has long been that he’s just really a lot dumber than he thinks he is. His movies introduce ideas but then they seem to fail to say anything interesting or clear about them. They just go the dumb route but there’s an air of arrogance like something very deep was said. And that politics quote certainly supports that idea.

Specifically, Garland takes base genre concepts and then has the characters namedrop Wittgenstein, or say "Hox genes", or quote Beckett unattributed, or "the robot's brain works like this Jackson Pollock painting. Let's put the painting onscreen for 15 seconds".

This kind of referentiality implies that the movie is really 'deep' and 'philosophical' - like you're expected to have done your research. But, then, I actually did do research into all the references in Annihilation. It turns out the science is mostly wrong and all the weird stuff is the product of a magic alien with reality-altering powers.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

well why not posted:

how surprised are we that the science is wrong here

I mean just basic stuff like there’s a scene where the character does a blood test on herself to illustrate the effect that quantum alien magic has on people’s cells. This illustration gets cellular biology wrong, and gets the mechanics of the movie’s own magic system wrong. So, like, is the character hallucinating at this point?

That’s not a useful ambiguity, because you’re now introducing this idea that random shots might be dreams - or telling your audience not to think too hard about what they’re shown. (Or both.) And, like, doing this scene required time and money. The cells under the microscope are a digital effect that artists had to work to create.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Drunkboxer posted:

This isn’t fair, every science fiction movie I’ve ever seen that touches on cell bio, genetics or whatever is total gibberish. I mean what are we even talking about here.

I was perplexed enough check an earlier draft of the screenplay to figure out what went wrong. The point of the scene, in the draft at least, is that the Natalie Portman character checks her blood and discovers that the ‘quantum shimmer’ that’s rearranging all the molecules inside the bubble is affecting her body as well. She looks at her blood, and the cells are shimmering too! Oh no!

(The characters probably should have assumed this was happening much earlier, but oh well.)

To illustrate this in the actual film, Portman examines her blood and it looks normal. Then a blood cell divides into two cells: one normal, and one shimmering. The trouble here is not only that blood cells don’t divide, but that the shimmer is all-pervasive within the bubble and operating at a sub-microscopic level. There wouldn’t be any visual distinction between the cells.

A little bit of magic is aight; the reason the characters don’t just immediately die is that the magic alien brain is somehow able to control the shimmer to produce only ‘beneficial’ mutations. So, sure, maybe what she’s seeing is just more bullshit magic - but it’s really poorly conveyed when compared to any old garbage Star Trek episode.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Failed Imagineer posted:

Only terminally-differentiated blood cells don't divide. tbf, RBCs do make up about 99% of peripheral blood cells, but I don't know what blood volume fraction theyre testing in the movie.

It's specifically a white blood cell and, unless I've been really misinformed, you wouldn't see any division outside a bone marrow sample or something.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Drunkboxer posted:

Yeah you’re not wrong but like I was saying this kind of stuff is in literally everything and most of the time you don’t have magical reality bending alien energies at play so it’s a bit unfair to hold Annihilation up to this standard imo.

To be clear, the issue isn’t scientific (in)accuracy itself, but how Garland conveys (or, rather, fails to convey) information in a narrative. It happens to be sciencey stuff in this case, but it’s also his references to philosophy, literature, paintings, etc. Characters dump a bunch of unhelpful exposition, hyperlinks to Wikipedia articles, while the most basic events in the narrative are presented obtusely. He’s what Christopher Nolan gets accused of being (and is, at his worst - i.e. Tenet).

Annihilation and Ex Machina should be starkly contrasted with, say, Johnathan Glazer’s Under The Skin or Ridley Scott’s Prometheus - films that are unpretentiously ‘artsy’. Or, like, remember that movie Source Code? That’s the exact kinda movie Garland’s not great at making.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Charismatic Bond is dead. Give me uncharismatic Bond!

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

FlamingLiberal posted:

I thought it was fine but I watched it on HBO and not in a peak Covid theater

I was kind of baffled that so many people were confused about the plot. It’s not more complicated than Inception.

The story of Tenet is an extremely straightforward riff on Bond-style spy thrillers, but the precise mechanics of the plot are literally incomprehensible.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Grendels Dad posted:

I still haven't seen Tenet because "Inception, but with time fuckery instead of dreams" sounds unbearable to me.

Sorry about your Long Covid.

Inception is legit good; it’s just doing some relatively-straightforward Matrix/eXistenZ/Sucker Punch “levels of reality” stuff.

Tenet is not, actually, a time-travel movie - a film where you explore logical problems related to causality. The conceit of Tenet is that, outside the broadest strokes, there is no causality whatsoever.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Enos Cabell posted:

I agree that AI art is dogshit, but I seriously doubt the general public gives enough of a poo poo about it to tank a movie.

I'm like the target market for this thing, and I've noped out. It's depressingly low-rent.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
BEGONE, demon! The power of Christ compels you!

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Big Mean Jerk posted:

There’s a brief mention of “the massacre of Antifa” that happened some 20-30 years before the film’s events.

I'm starting to think Alex Garland might be an idiot.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's delightfully ambiguous. Is Antifa a location?

You can kinda reverse-engineer the thought process. Like, I'm gonna call it "The Antifa Massacre" - but oh, poo poo, that sounds like anti-fascists are committing massacres? That's bad! So I'll specify that it's The Massacre Of Antifas.

But maybe I've gone too far there, because that's now implying that fascists are killing individual antifascist people. That's a bit too direct, a bit too partisan. So I'll drop the 's' and depluralize it: "The Massacre of Antifa". This now implies that Antifa, the concrete organization in a centralized location with clear leadership, has been dissolved or something - but in vague terms that people won't understand. Perfect!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I know I've mentioned this before, but to be fair to Garland, California is deeply chuddy. On the other hand, I'm not really sure how Texas and California could function together given that they're both gigantic and, for all intents and purposes, a thousand miles apart. It's like if France and Greece decided to unite against the rest of Europe. I know it's all just supposed to be sort of fantastical but it's very like, "huh? How?"

The ultimate failing is that they're putting this in cultural terms when, you know, there will never be a war of 'CHUDs' versus 'SJWs' unless there's some economic root. Today's right wing, at least in the US, is 'merely' a derangement of liberalism. There's no real disagreement over this form of capitalism. It's almost-purely culture war.

"They are not a right or wrong, or good and bad. It’s which do you think has greater efficacy? That’s it. You try one, and if that doesn’t work out, you vote it out, and you try again a different way. That’s a process."

Fuckin' Star Wars: Episode 1: The Phantom Menace has its civil war(s) begin over the taxation of trade routes. The actual American Civil War, that actually happened, was over slavery as an economic institution. The belief of the Confederates states was that slave labor was more 'efficacious' for the economy. The belief of the Northern States was, at least in part, that free labour would be more 'efficacious' for the economy. Which was good or bad???

If I were to make a Civil War 2 movie, for example, it would be over 'illegal immigration'. And, you know, your initial assumption might be that the evil CHUDS would obviously be against the illegal immigration because they're constantly bitching about it online, right? But the right-wing actually loves illegal immigration! Undocumented immigrants are more vulnerable and easier to exploit. So, in a hypothetical future where democrats lean ever-so-slightly to the left and crack down on illegal immigration while promoting legal immigration, this would have economic results akin to ending slavery. Enough to lead to a war? Even then, I don't think so. But it certainly makes more sense than this poo poo.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

https://x.com/firewalkwjaime/status/1777522943053922530

Apparently the Antifa footage comes from none other than Andy Ngo, lmao. "Why can't we all just get along", indeed!

Nucleic Acids posted:

Also, unless that's a different Helen Lewis, they're thanking a rancid British TERF as well.

What a shocking surprise! lol