Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I haven’t heard anything about this, but this news extremely sucks.

What's worse is the guy who directed Marcel the Shell with Shoes On is trapped doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I am really not digging this phase of Nicolas Cage’s career where he embraces the memes about himself, The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent was execrable.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I believe the first time he talked publicly about his movies having to fit his “brand” was Rampage where he admittedly openly while promoting it that he had the ending changed because it didn’t fit the kind of movies the audience “expects” from him, which was also the exact moment where I started to turn on the guy.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 5, 2023

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Chairman Capone posted:

Reportedly, Taika Waititi's Star Wars movie isn't cancelled, he just isn't going to start working on it until he finishes his live action Akira adaptation.

...Which might also be taken as his Star Wars movie will never happen.

I’m sure we’ll see it after Akira, and First Goal Wins, and We’re Wolves, and What We Do in the Shadows 2, Flash Gordon, The Incal, and his Time Bandits remake.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

mycot posted:

Isn't WWDITS 2 just the TV series? Which is running simultaneously with another incredibly successful Taika series? Busy guy.

No, he has also announced a sequel to the movie.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
This Ain’t Godzilla XXX Kong

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Srice posted:

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1653150714745741312

Here's hoping that it's like the rest of his billion projects in the pipeline, in that it never gets made. I don't outright hate Waititi but I cannot imagine his style working for an Ishiguro book.

Next Goal Wins might actually come out now so he had to immediately fill the slot with something else.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

I still can't even wrap my head around how insanely bad his Akira would have been, I am glad he walked away from that so that there's zero chance.

He didn't.

e: lol vvv

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

The Saddest Rhino posted:

He's also doing the incal, there are so many projects

Taika Waititi is currently attached to:

- Next Goal Wins
- The Incal
- Akira
- Flash Gordon
- A Time Bandits TV series
- What We Do in the Shadows 2
- an untitled Star Wars movie
- and now Klara and the Sun.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

ChickenHeart posted:

Does the ultra-conservative creator get royalties from this?

The answer to this question is always yes. If an IP came from small beginnings and the mind of an individual auteur it is very rare throughout history they don't negotiate they get some portion of every property made from that IP forever, and there is no way to enjoy something from it guilt-free if you find their stances on issues are unacceptable. There's no Harry Potter media you can "safely" consume just like there's no FNAF media that doesn't give money to Cawthon.

joylessdivision posted:

I honestly can't believe this thing has any legs left. There hasn't been a new game since the disastrous "Security Breach" two years ago and Scott got outted as a republican dipshit not long before that.

What went wrong with Security Breach? I stopped paying attention to the games after like the third one.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 17, 2023

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

kalel posted:

hint: it's the ones whose movies grossed more than they cost to make

This list does not include Hellboy.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Alexander Hamilton posted:

What happened to Gareth Edwards that got him put in movie jail? Was it Rogue One? Because it still made a billion dollars and the aesthetic he created in that movie seems like it was copied going forward.

Rogue One was plagued with production problems and most of 2016 was spent with Tony Gilroy rewriting the script and acting as second unit (and probably the guy actually in charge) director on reshoots.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Baron von Eevl posted:

Eh supposedly they split up in 2016 so she may not have been a COVID denier, she was just briefly (fake) married to a guy who's the kind of dipshit to pretend he invented email and also deny COVID.

No, she is. https://deadline.com/2022/12/sag-aftra-fran-drescher-hollywood-covid-vaccination-mandate-1235192611/amp/

She also is only pushing for this strike vote because she previously said she didn’t support it and got chewed out by the base for it. https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1655727130418860033?s=20

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Professor Shark posted:

Hey what happened with the latest Guy Ritchie movie with Stratham? Jason is doing his thing but I found that it had a really weird feeling and didn’t finish it, it’s like it was done by a film student trying to imitate Guy Ritchie

It is a very strange movie. It was knocked about six ways from Sunday because of COVID and then actually delayed again because it was supposed to come out right as the war in Ukraine was starting up and the bad guys in it are Ukrainian, so Ritchie probably actually filmed this thing like four years ago.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Tars Tarkas posted:

I guess Ruby Gillman, Teenage Kraken is a real movie?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4uyD8FFUIw

You could maybe argue that it’s not.

https://twitter.com/hollywoodhandle/status/1668386886333726723

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

AceOfFlames posted:

Yeah, "Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken" sounds like the title of a fake movie you'd see on some cartoon.

I seriously assumed the title was just inherited from some YA thing it’s adapting but nope, just looked it up and it’s a completely original screenplay.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

IshmaelZarkov posted:

I've always pictured the Judge as John Goodman.

If you somehow managed to discover the energy Goodman had in 10 Cloverfield Lane twenty years before Dan Trachtenberg did that would’ve been the perfect casting.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

muscles like this! posted:

I just realized that a new Transformers movie came out a couple weeks ago and nobody has anything to say about it.

I am unreasonably angry that Spider-Verse only got a week in the premium formats before I could see it so it could be replaced by a Transformers movie absolutely nobody gave a poo poo about.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

it's not about good

if hollywood released a grimace movie right this moment it would make a billy

one more week and it makes a milly

Yeah this worked really great for Snakes on a Plane and Morbius.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Jose Oquendo posted:

Yuppp. Unfortunately, there's a growing number of things that have no physical release of any sort. That leaves only one option :yarr:

Barbarian never got a physical release. What the gently caress!!!!

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

New gang tag just dropped

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Barbie/Legally Blonde is also mine. I figured they'd never do Oppenheimer because it's rated R and they don't wanna project a 30ft tall butt in the middle of the outdoors.

But it's totally fine for them to be doing a free showing of Sound of Freedom tonight. :waycool:

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
That was a strange wave in the culture looking back on it, we got three "A Dog's _____" movies in the span of like a year and a half and then we never heard from them again.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

It's like when you get two volcano movies the same year, or movies where a guy has to murder a whole building, or a Michael Bay movie and a Roland Emmerich movie.

From what I understand, the first two were two different production companies who got ahold of the rights to different titles in the same book series, and then the third was a sequel to the first. But they were all very successful and weren't yet experiencing diminishing returns, so I'm not sure why Hollywood quit on them as quickly as they arrived. I don't know, just a small weird thing.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Professor Shark posted:

Barbie is also driving idiots crazy and all their whining makes it sound good

Moviebob moment.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

ruddiger posted:

It is?

It is?!

It almost beat Indiana Jones and if these legs continue it actually might in the long run.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Blue Beetle looks bad but I'm certainly hoping for its success more than I did The Flash.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

muscles like this! posted:

Another one bites the dust as Taika Waititi's Star Wars project is reportedly DOA.

This isn’t confirmed. Waititi made a joke about Shawn Levy at the TIFF Tribute Awards of “maybe unlike me he’ll finish his Star Wars” and a lot of sites reported that as confirmation it’s been cancelled, but that likely just means he hasn’t gotten to it yet and several blogs with inside sources are claiming it’s still on.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Jojo Rabbit is one of the worst films nominated for an Oscar I've ever seen but then again I didn't even like his early stuff

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

kalel posted:

I've been an alcoholic since I started watching Snyder movies

kalel, no!

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

The MSJ posted:

I think he has stopped being directly involved with the series though. The newer games did not have much of his input.

He’s a writer and producer on the film. He’s getting hella money from it and he’s going to turn it around right into Ted Cruz’s pocket.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
The FNAF fanbase is still very much alive and the movie is currently tracking for a $40 million opening weekend, which would make back its budget instantly and be the second-best opening weekend of Fall only behind Taylor Swift. They all got very upset upon learning their money was going right into campaign contributions for Mitch McConnell, but internalized it so they could continue to Consume Product pretty fast.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Dead Reckoning is a rock solid MI entry it just has to follow Fallout which was always going to be difficult.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I suppose you’re going to ignore all the Osage people who guided the film’s production and approved of the final product, then.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Jesus, and that's with launching day and date on a streaming service.

People really overestimate how much this matters for a film’s gross.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think it's less impactful for horror movies

Like I imagine that if you wanted to watch the FNAF movie you are probably going to the theater to see it with someone

At this point it’s completely sporadic whether or not a film does well in theaters if it also came out on streaming same day to the degree that you can’t just point to it and blame it for financial woes. Dune, Godzilla vs Kong, Halloween Kills and Ends, and Mortal Kombat all came out on streaming the same day and did well (relative to other movies at the time) at the box office, and as we’ve seen lately, the entire theatrical box office is in a slump right now. At this point I’m starting to believe that the idea that simultaneous streaming releases kill box office exists because it’s what The Suicide Squad bombing got blamed on despite the million other factors as to why that movie flopped.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I used to think my generation wouldn’t be as out of touch or clueless as other generations got when they got old and every time I read some poo poo like “Harambe was a portent of our isolation” on here I’m reminded of how wrong I was.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
The Vote for Pedro shirt is a sign of just how deranged and lonely our generation is…

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Do you mean extra stupid changes that don’t add anything like constant 80s needle drops and a Tenacious D solo number

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Reminded that Josstice League was exactly 90 minutes.

It was 120.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

All I ask of a Zelda movie is it isn't 2 and a half loving hours
What is your deal Hollywood? Why are all my blockbusters Heaven's Gate length now? Aren't these all investments? Isn't cheaper to just do a tight well paced 90 minute movie???

It... is not. Your average two-hour movie is originally shot as an assembly cut that 3-5 hours long and then it becomes the directors' and editors' jobs to cut it down to as short as a runtime as possible from that while still keeping a coherent plot. I've seen way more movies ruined by cutting the movie too short than ones ruined by keeping them too long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzH4CDmZ3h8