Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home
I went all the way to Daytona...and didn't go to Daytona. We had a buddy racing speedweeks in modifieds down in New Smyrna and we were staying at a place in Daytona. Drove by the track every day and never went. We thought about going Thursday for the Duels because neither of us had been and it was only $50 but we were having such a good time going to New Smyrna everynight we skipped Daytona. I did actually meet Michael Waltrip though. He didn't tell us we were in the other place but he was walking alone through the Hooters parking lot which was weird because the way he was headed was away from Hooters and toward...nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

tater_salad posted:

No bad choices here. Modified > NASCAR

The only bummer was the racing on Thursday night for all the divisions was not actually that great but, party at the camper after anyway.

tater_salad posted:

Now try the 1987 turn lefts... Those things are a blast to drive and I wish I had more time in my life to do them.
Fully agree. One of my favorite series to run on the platform.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

kidcoelacanth posted:

reddick had to win that race like 10 different times and i'm glad he didn't get hosed out of it

Seriously. At the end it seemed like NASCAR decided to just try and try again until everyone that was having a good day was going to get a bad finish and a bunch of guys who had bad days were going to get a good finish by attrition.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

stealie72 posted:

Some quality trolling right here.

That rules.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Especially when last year's fall race was actually a good race and the collective of fans was basically like after that how could you put dirt back on this track? NASCAR or somebody within must own a Tennessee clay quarry or someshit. I think my favorite part of the race was Bowyer being like, big thank you to the track crew for giving us such a great racing surface while Fox showed closeups of the giant holes in turn 3 all night.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

mearn posted:

I'm going to Charlotte for the third biggest race of Memorial Day weekend, should be a time.

camoseven posted:

I'm going to the Indy 500

I'm going to Monaco...I wish. It is the one Memorial weekend race left that I have not been to so someday I would like to do that. Though I have been to Monte Carlo and driven a lot of the streets that are part of the track so there's that I guess.

I thought the crowd at Dover was pretty good for a Monday race. I know they were showing tight shots of crowds of people to make it seem like more than it was but even in the wide shots I was pretty surprised. Looked like as big of a crowd as Bristol.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Plus later in races they are at least an extra lap longer because they have the lead lap cars pit first then allow lap down cars to pit on the next lap. If everyone is on the lead lap then that is one less lap under yellow. But yes agreed most places could cut pace laps down by one or two in some instances.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

NBC was extra annoying for this broadcast. In the last 40 laps they took two commercial breaks while the battle for the lead was at it's best, on lap like 36 and again on lap like 24 or something. They were side by side breaks but come on, you actually have something interesting happening at the end of the race for once, like think ahead and get your 2 breaks within 15 laps done in the middle somewhere.

As far as Sheldon Creed, why didn't he get suspended? I know it's NASCAR and consistency, especially with penalties, is not their thing but to be consistent for once and suspend any driver that has admitted to or had a lot of damning evidence against them purposely wrecking somebody and then all of a sudden stop seems like too much of a 180. $25k and 25pts? That's nothing compared to missing a race. Honestly I thought they were for real going to let Chase Elliott go just to troll the entire Chase is the Golden Boy, Hendrick gets all breaks, fan base but we can't get everything we want I guess.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

gently caress it, postpone 2 days and run 400 miles at Chicagoland on Tuesday

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

At least they called it this morning instead of doing 2hrs or rain delay coverage during the pouring rain and calling it at 4:30 east. Now I just gotta avoid spoilers all day at work tomorrow and annoy my wife by prioritizing watching the race before I leave to go play hockey.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Virgil Vox posted:

Yeah deserved winner. Kinda boring but there was some good strategy if that's your thing, I guess not bad but the least exciting of the three this weekend for me. The xfinity restart at the end was great and it was fun to see if Hocevar could move up through the trucks.

It's been so long since there has been real strategy used in a race because of the stage breaks it was fun to watch in my opinion. Most stages are like 1 stop regardless of tire wear so to actually get teams going 2 stop vs 1 stop and having the tires actually fall off and the fact that the stages went green all the way actually made it interesting. I feel like the most strategy we see now is like last week at Pocono, flip your track position by pitting with 3 to go if you don't need stage points. You don't exactly need Fatback Mcswain on the box to make those calls, the stages dictate the strategy.

E: I should have prefaced that by saying I'm one of those nerds that will like watch F1 intently to see if Ocon can undercut Gasly for 8th place in a race where every other position is spread out by 5 to 30 seconds.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Ungratek posted:

Pretty sure he was losing his ride anyways so this is the nail in the coffin

Yeah I think Legacy was like oh good an opportunity to get this guy out now and start preparing for next year, later bro. I didn't see the thing he liked or retweeted or whatever it was but assuming it was in pretty poor taste and probably against some sort of morality clause in his contract. It just baffles me how many public figure type people will go out of their way to be assholes, and let everyone know about it, and expect nothing to come of it.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

kidcoelacanth posted:

chris buescher loving rules

Huge for that team to do it back to back, nevermind from a short track to a superspeedway. Plus 3 weeks ago they were maybe/hopefully pointing into one of the last playoff spots to now potential playoff contender. If they can orchestrate some stage wins or maybe somehow another win while the team is hot he'll be in the mix. Always love a good underdog and even though it would make Jack Roush happy at least we can say he had to partner with a baseball team and another driver to make his team even half relevant again.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Never expected the 34 to dominate the day like that. I'm not a McDowell fan but happy to see an underdog team put together a total race like that, fun to see.

Funny how the 24, that is completely safe on making the playoffs, couldn't pass tech and got a bunch of penalties. Almost like they cheated the gently caress out of that car to see what they could get away with on cheating up the 9 car for next weekend. I'll be shocked if the 9 doesn't win next week.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Pinecone Sample posted:

All of the NASCAR radio callers last week were about how terrible the Indy road course were, old fans and new, and I suspect none of them were more satisfied this week. Without the Hendrick fucks-up, nothing interesting would have happened. I would have liked to see Andy Lally have a good day but alas.

McDowell potentially overcoming those penalties and driving like he was in it to win it could have been entertaining. They still just don't know what happened, engine just killed itself?

McDowell being upfront for the majority of the race could have been fun too. He seemed like the only other driver that could fight it out at the front and it was pretty evident early on that he was going to bust rear end to take the lead and keep it. Too bad about the penalties and the engine but as they said on the broadcast if you're going to have all that poo poo go wrong at least it happened all at once and hopefully you're done with it.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Speaking of the schedule I feel like it is not the smartest move to follow up Daytona with Atlanta now that Atlanta is also a plate track. The Shootout, then the Duels, then the 500 and then the next week more of the same poo poo at Atlanta. The drivers are going to be mentally burnt along with the spotter's vocal chords.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

chamois posted:

just make whoever wins the last race the champion, it makes almost as much sense as the current format and then you don't have to deal with awkward situations like this

I don't think I've ever listened/watched so much coverage after the season as ended as I have this year for some reason. Normally I'm like more than happy to punchout and be done by the time its over. Anyway so far it seems everyone I've heard talk about the playoffs, championship format stuff the first sentence out of their mouth is I hate that it all comes down to one race. I feel like for race fans that is also the general consensus and I just don't understand NASCAR's fight to keep this format that has been endlessly complained about since the first iteration of it.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

mearn posted:

With the current format, I don't even remember who won the championship by the time January rolls around, and I never miss a race. If the playoffs have to stay, it would be nice if the final round was three races instead of one.

True. I had completely forgotten that Joey won it last year until it got mentioned when he was knocked out of contention and the tv broadcast said something like he won't get to defend his title.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

CBJSprague24 posted:

B...b...but how can you force Game 7 Overtime when it doesn't all come down to one race?!?

(Narrator: What NASCAR failed to realize is not every seven game series gets to Game 7, and not every Super Bowl is a barn burner.)

I know it's almost like the on track product isn't good enough to be compelling on it's own!

Although I think it's getting better-ish. If they come up with a decent short track package I think we'd have some good racing most of the time. I feel like the intermediate tracks had some decent racing this year. But yeah putting everything on 1 race in an attempt to make it interesting is not my favorite. The best race of the weekend was Alonso and Perez for 3rd in Brazil and that championship has been over for 2 months. If you can get guys racing it doesn't matter what the championship is.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

kidcoelacanth posted:

https://twitter.com/NWCS_Standings/status/1723764615371174168

the alternate history that i choose to consider canon

I couldn't believe looking back over at Harvick's career stats he only got 1 championship. For some reason I thought he had gotten one with the #29 and the #4. In my head he's a multi-time champ and the old points prove it I guess.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

People are barely watching these races on regular TV. I watch pretty much every race and I am invested in the outcomes of the races and the season on a whole. I don't think I'll be downloading apps or subscribing to other services to watch a handful of races mid season. That is double especially true if that means I have to watch them live.
What to do on a perfect summer Sunday in August at 2pm:
A) Be outside doing something fun.
B) Download Streaming App+, create an account, put a reminder in my calendar to cancel after the free trial, sit there for 5 hours to watch Kyle Larson lead 232 of 260 laps when I could have been doing anything else.

I don't get it. Do they think they will somehow capture a younger audience or something because that's what all the kids doing, they are streaming everything. They have me, I'm the fan that will watch every week and to me I see this as them putting up a roadblock that will keep me from watching. I don't think the younger audience that isn't already watching will see it on Amazon Prime and go OMG 5hours of racecars Let's Gooooo! I think they'll just be guaranteeing they'll have 10 races that literally nobody will watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

There were a bunch of news things today. SVG, Xfinity driver lineup for Gibbs which consists of 2 shared cars between a multitude of drivers along with the 2 full time cars of Smith and Creed, Gragson officially announced to the 10, Thorsport driver lineup, probably other stuff I missed since today seemed to be the day that a bunch of teams decided to announce all their poo poo.