Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
ffffuuuuuuuUUUUUCK

Driest February in England since 1993 signals drought ahead, say experts
With little rain forecast for spring and reservoirs still not refilled, drought could be worse than last year

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/mar/01/driest-february-england-signals-drought-ahead-experts

quote:

Stuart Singleton-White, the head of campaigns at the Angling Trust, said the government and water companies had not yet prepared for the crisis that could be about to hit.

He said: “Strange as it may seem, it’s not over yet. The risk of returning to drought in 2023 is real. Both Cornwall and the east of England are still in drought. Many of our rivers have not properly recovered. We do not want to see a return to the number of fish deaths and fish rescues we saw last summer. With proper planning, we don’t need to.

“We need to see water companies and the Environment Agency doing more to ensure the public are kept informed, encouraged to value and save water where they can, and be aware of the impact another year of drought would have on our water environment and the wildlife that depends on it. Water companies need to get ahead of the game. They need to introduce measures to help us conserve water a lot earlier than they did in 2022. We should not wait until the crisis hits before we take action.”

With all these overlapping crises it really does feel like society is unravelling, slowly for now, probably faster in a few years.

Related, the Biosphere Collapse thread is currently enjoying a French TV show called The Collapse (l'effondrement), which I binge-watched last night. It's good, seems relatively realistic (though a little too sudden - like barely a week between "everything's fine" and "hordes of hungry rioters murdering one another across the entire country").

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

cat botherer posted:

people getting free green beans from a food bank and then going out for prime rib - makes me SICK

Maybe the green beans have gone off then. You should stop

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Pistol_Pete posted:

God, I remember those billboards, they infuriated me at the time lol: "He needs an incubator, not an alternative voting system!"
They worked too, which was even more annoying.

But the most annoying thing is they never got that incubator anyway

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
There was a restaurant down my street that refused to join Eat Out To Help Out so they just sat empty while all the other restaurants were packed with customers. That restaurant is gone now. Stupid motherfuckers.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

What about replacing ministers? Level of understanding and accuracy matches, but the robot isn't inherently a oval office.

An AI trained solely on Hansard

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
, david, death of is my favourite koch variant

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Chicken sausages

hands.png

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Cynthia! Cynithia! I found one Cynthia!

GETTEM CYNTHIA

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Julio Cruz posted:

do we seriously just not have any mods ITT

Make me an IK ill probe him on sight

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Lol "the uk's modern slavery system"

How did they sign off on that graphic

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Tory name generator website strikes again.

Petronella is my favourite oil-based spread.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Haven't checked the link on the tweet out yet as about to be busy.

Oh my :quagmire:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Mega Comrade posted:

but then some big thing happens and I just got to see what the threads take is.

Wondering what us blokes thoughts are, eh?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

The Question IRL posted:

In the same vein I learned this week that Florida Governor Ron DeSantis not only served as a guard in Gitmo, he specifically volunteered to be sent there.

:stare:

This did not come up in Last Week Tonight's take down of him, but I'm sure it will in a future instalment

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I don't know anything about football or this Daily Match show, but I've been thoroughly enjoying this showdown :popcorn:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
As the British public get stomped on they're forced to find solace in their only pastime: stomping others

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
"common sense" has been a synonym for "ill considered right wing bollocks" for decades

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

TACD posted:

i thought making the uk so lovely as to be unappealing even to refugees of war was the explicit goal

Hostile environment, innit.

But the thing is about the environment, is, get this... we're all in it

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Camrath posted:

(For the record, as I’m sure I’ve stated before, I’m pretty sure ghosts are a natural phenomenon that we just haven’t figured out the mechanism for yet. They’ve been common to every human culture and society across the planet going back to prehistoric times.)

Ghosts aren't real

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Lady Gaza posted:

Guardian reporting that Hunt will fund 30 hours childcare for 1 and 2 year olds. Hope it’s true and it kicks in soon - will make a massive difference as full time nursery fees are a killer.

This would only be available to universal credit recipients, no?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Camrath posted:

But because they are operating under the model that ‘ghosts cannot exist’ then they refuse to accept that as an option- but then are left without any possible way to explain what they objectively experienced.

All ghost experiences can be explained by hallucination, either individual or group.

I guess we need to define "ghost" because much like UFO, a lot of people use that interchangeably with "vehicle driven by intelligent beings from another planet" rather than understanding its true meaning, "unexplained thing"

So, somewhat supporting your view on the matter, we're really talking about UGOs (unless the apparition levitates in which case it will become a UFO)

But if we're considering a ghost to be a being that has some degree of sentience, then that's just complete bollocks. They just don't fit into any existing knowledge of the universe.

Take evolution.

When did evolution come up with ghosts? Presumably the first protocells weren't leaving ghosts everywhere, and presumably single celled organisms aren't doing so today (otherwise the sheer volume of them would be creaking floorboards everywhere and you wouldn't even be able you see a humanoid ghost because of all the e-coli ghosts in the way). So did ghosts come along with sentient brains? Was there a primate that died and left the first ever ghost? Brains are built by genes so is there a ghost gene, and only that ghost-eligible primate left ghost-eligible descendants? The more we build a hypothesis the more bollocks it sounds because that's what it is: complete bollocks from start to finish

Don't even get me started on conservation of energy

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

forkboy84 posted:

How is this still something they run with?

If the tories wrote that before Labour took power I'd run with it until the end of time. Wouldn't you?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
So basically it's a budget to encourage new babies

A budget to gently caress to

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
:ms:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Guavanaut posted:

:siren::siren:
An Irishman asked me about the sale price for my motor home and there were several more hidden in the bushes I am sure of it.

Lithuanians are stealing garden gnomes to perform occult rituals.

DRUG SMELL

I'm stuck in traffic again why won't the council get rid of the LTNs!!!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

TACD posted:

I’ll have you know I’ve had this same terrible username since I was about 12 :colbert:

With this information, we finally know what it stands for: Totally Awesome Cool Dude

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Private Speech posted:

Maybe just go into a bit more detail, I'm willing to be proven wrong but I haven't seen anything beyond "they sided with nazis" and "antisemitism is more common" (which honestly is not a super strong signal these days, if at all). It's not like Denmark doesn't have its own lovely bits in history too.

You're being impressively polite to the goon who can't even be bothered to correct your claims and just signs off after "you're wrong and you're also poo poo"

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Failed Imagineer posted:

If you gay in Eve you gay in real life

(me with my new placard)

It's called Eve Online not Steve Online!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
smell of cannabis (black) wafting in through windows of family homes (white) in neighborhoods (white)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Weirdly I hated the smell until I actually smoked weed and got super high and, ever since then, i find the smell quite pleasant. my guess is it rewired my brain

So there's your solution if you hate the smell :smug:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Sanford posted:

Edit: what a snipe! Have a pic of some fossil turds I found in the village stream yesterday.

Oh hey I was wondering what had happened to those

Can I have them back?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

kingturnip posted:

Props to the young man driving a BMW (lol, of course) at 7:20 this morning whose car absolutely reeked of weed as it crawled past my bus stop in traffic.

The thought of driving while high is absurd to me, it really is

e: mind you I can do a reasonable impression of a competent driver in GTA. minimal pedestrian casualties

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Lol what an idiotic clock. my clock has x+1, x+2 etc for numbers and then I only have to update the little "x =" post it note. So much easier :smug:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Is her name really Posie Parker??!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I don't think its too much to ask that if someone wants to post tweets they maybe add a little to the post without expecting people to have to go to a shithole like twitter.

https://mobile.twitter.com/dril/status/922321981

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
'ang 'em I say

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

bessantj posted:

Until something goes wrong and they want to blame him.

I think you'll find The Last Labour Leadership can be blamed for everything

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
imagine this happening here

Europe's unique trials in food 'social security' (BBC Future)

quote:

As food prices rise around the world and access to healthy nutrition falls, trials in France and Belgium are experimenting with a unique "social security" for food.
[...]
through recently launched projects in Montpellier in France and Brussels in Belgium, burgeoning collectives of NGOs, farmers, researchers and citizens are experimenting with the idea that quality, nutritious and organic food should be accessible to everyone – regardless of income.
[...]
Inspired by universal healthcare systems such as those in France and Belgium, civil society groups have proposed establishing a new branch of social security, under which each citizen would receive a monthly allowance enabling them to buy food meeting certain environmental and ethical criteria.

quote:

Under the proposed scheme for France and Belgium, each person (or parents for minors) would automatically receive a fixed sum every month through, for example, a designated card. Between €100-150 ($106-159/£88-133) monthly has been proposed for adults, and between €50-75 ($53-80/£44-67) for children.

Like healthcare, the system would be financed through contributions from each citizen proportional to their income. In Belgium, Fian has proposed people earning €3,000 ($3,190/£2,650) gross monthly would contribute €150 ($159/£133) every month, those earning more would contribute more and those earning less would contribute less. Yet all would receive €150 monthly – in effect, helping redistribute wealth from those with the most means to those with the least.

Further funding could be raised through a state contribution, for example from taxes on profits of multinational food companies or through increasing excise duties on nutritionally unhealthy products, such as alcohol or tobacco.

Only food products meeting certain criteria – such as organic certification, fair pay for farmers and workers, and short supply chains – would be able to be purchased with the allowance, which could be used wherever those products are sold. These criteria are intended to support a wider transformation of the food system to one that is more just and sustainable.

quote:

France and Belgium's trials, which began earlier this year and last year respectively, will each run for 12 months, and the early results appear to be positive.
[...]
Hache credits the intervention with improving her diet and easing her stress levels. "I can buy organic fruit and vegetables and bulk products in the quantities I want," she says.

quote:

An analysis by Jean-François Neven, an attorney of labour and social law, found establishing social security for food in Belgium is legally and institutionally possible. But making it a reality requires overcoming an obstacle which might prove even more difficult: changing the way we think.

Despite Belgium and France being wealthier today than when they established their social security systems, Peuch says it's difficult for many people to think beyond their own interests and see social security as something positive from which we all win.

Dalmais says capitalism makes this change in mindset difficult, and underappreciation of the flaws in our food system is also hindering change. The complexity of social security for food often frightens people, he says, who "prefer solutions that are simpler to implement, but naive and incapable of changing everything". Change has been slow at the political level, he says, though reception among citizens of the trials has been positive.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Supposed Chess-Liker Corbyn Puts The Horse Pieces in the Bin After Every Game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

fuctifino posted:

Maybe only using endangered red squirrels for the wallets?

More about him:
https://twitter.com/CEstateMedia/status/1641177398262759424

That picture has extreme "my friends are just out of frame, laughing too" energy