Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Edit: wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Who is grimes and who broke up with him?

Grimes is a Canadian pop musician that had a baby with Musk a few years ago. They split up and she was reportedly dating Chelsea Manning shortly afterwards, which is possibly part of Musk's transphobia kick.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

M_Gargantua posted:

Sounds like there is an available prime space and highly trained labor in the area ripe to start an independent and unionized cafe

There almost certainly is but I'm sure the lease is ruinously expensive. They had the best spot in the building, right in the middle of the waiting area on corner where the center corridor from the street level entrance and ticketing area empties out.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

M_Gargantua posted:

Fair, but the profit margins on a well done cafe are also anti-ruinous. The amount of customers you can service in a location like that is massive.

Oh yeah anything you put there will print money, it's just getting past the startup cost barrier that would stop anyone who doesn't already have deep pockets.

Soylent Pudding posted:

I think Amtrak is actually trying to break the lease of the company that manages Union Station and in turn subleases to these places because Amtrak wants to remodel and modernize the place after decades of neglect and poor operational management.

DC's Union Station is inexcusably lovely and hopefully they can get someone running it who will invest more than $5/ year in maintenance and improvements.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Handsome Ralph posted:

:yeah:

What's stupid is I remember Union Station being relatively fine up until 2014 or so. Then everything seemingly went to poo poo overnight.

It was kind of poo poo as far back as 2007 but yeah, mid 2010s it just fell off a cliff.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Handsome Ralph posted:

Hot take, but it all went to poo poo once the book store left.

How long ago was that? The Suncoast there had a fairly eclectic selection and I picked up a bunch of weird stuff there whenever I had some time before a train.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

i make a buck
boss loses $44,000,000,000
that's why i guard him while he poops on company time

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The guy dunked on Musk repeatedly and then got him to apologize in public, absolutely legendary.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Spoggerific posted:

A couple months ago, someone mentioned there was a YOSPOS poster who people joked about being Elon a while ago, but I forget who it was and who said it.

Stymie.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

Wait is he bringing back the frontpage?!

He'd like to but there are a bunch of other site things that needed to be fixed more urgently so there's no current timetable.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

There isn’t a spot where people won’t say that everything is actually fine and that the government and media are lying to you. I’m sure a lot of travelers think it’s all BS, and show up unprepared to deal with life in these areas.

Part of the issue with tourists from the US is that their government was blaring the propaganda horn that things were at MAXIMUM TERROR THREAT LEVEL ULTRAVIOLENT INFRADEAD for about 20 years starting in autumn 2001. So it was really easy to look at the handy color coded chart on the DHS website and notice that the square by Algiers was only a shade darker red than the one by Los Angeles, and nothing has happened in LA for a while so how much worse could it really be? Anybody who thinks about it for more than a minute knows that Algeria is way more dangerous, but of course a lot of people don't.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The fact that FDIC took direct receivership and couldn't wait until after close of business Friday means it must have been dire, they usually fail banks over the weekend so another bank can buy their stuff up without disrupting stuff as badly. Absolutely hilarious.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The reason all the fart app startups used SVB is because they didn't ask too many questions like "do you think your business can actually make money?"

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Wrong Theory posted:

Someone's never seen A Boy and His Dog before.

The last line loving sucks. Read the story instead.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Stravag posted:

Bitch im laughing harder now

:thejoke:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

facialimpediment posted:

Why it was a bailout: Treasury (taxpayers) is on the ultimate hook if/when funding runs out
Why it's not a bailout: FDIC/feds have $100B on-hand because of the 2008 bank reform specifically for poo poo like this
Why it was a bailout: that fund is paid for by banks, which pass on the costs to anyone with a bank account
Why it's not a bailout: Depositors are 100% whole, equity/shareholders are 100% hosed
Why it's a bailout: zero major consequences for the VCs that got obvious sweetheart deals or the bankers that gave them

VC is forever now a bunch of welfare queen crybaby fake libertarians and never let them forget it. It's the one good side effect of the federal reserve rate increases that the VC money train just derailed and it was full of hazmat.

There's a good quote circulating that "there are no libertarians in a bank run."

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

lightpole posted:

Covids a parasite, a Chinese government conspiracy, and Fauci is a liar

source your quotes

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

how the gently caress is this man not hosting jeopardy. bull poo poo.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

facialimpediment posted:

Also, it's not like a general electorate will go "why yes, I will happily vote for the indicted ex-president"!

wanna bet?

I wonder how the secret service would deal with a protectee in a courtroom.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Knoxville, TN had the "Drag Race Down Gay Street" for a number of years but I'm betting the local cops are under orders to book anyone who shows up this year.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Luca/Sasquatch 2024

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Joe Biden was born closer to Abraham Lincoln’s inauguration than to his own.

Can't wait to see which decrepit boomer the democrats haul up next because it's "their turn." Maybe this is why Feinstein isn't running for senate again, she's preparing for a presidential campaign.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

maffew buildings posted:

It's time for important topics that have been getting ignored but are definitely still pressing, like evaluating which Muppets gently caress. Fozzy Bear definitely cleans up, I feel like that's just an obvious one, though

Statler and Waldorf absolutely slayed in their youth and I imagine they still charm someone to their respective homes once in a while.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Terrifying Effigies posted:

He's also the centerpiece Thanos-level Big Bad for the next half dozen Marvel movies

owned

I expect they'll either permanently recast him like they did with Rhodes after the first Iron Man or they'll make it a Dr. Who gimmick where Kang is played by a different actor in every movie, which would actually be an interesting way to go with the character.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

We'll see if it makes a difference, I guess.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

maffew buildings posted:

wow, I can't think of any outcome here other than the US reaffirms it's commitment to Israel and passes legislation to provide another 2 billion in defense aid immediately

If anything happens to Netenyahu all the anti-boycott legislation gets repealed instantly.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Naramyth posted:

your right, I’m sure some private school has been shot up

This was a private school, or is that the "joke"?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Naramyth posted:

I didn’t know this was a private school. I was doing black humor because what else is there. I’m sorry.

We all have a bad posting run sometimes. :cheerdoge:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

lmao fukkin rekt

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

https://youtu.be/DH4lkmqFxH8

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Nuclear Tourist posted:

I think I mentioned it in some previous CE thread, but I wouldn't be surprised if Erdogan cockblocks Sweden's NATO bid until they agree to start extraditing Kurdish dissidents back to Turkey or some similarly heinous poo poo.

Sweden should agree and just renege on it immediately after they've gotten in. Like just blatantly repeatedly lose the paperwork they receive for it. Nobody actually gets sent back.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

AtraMorS posted:

I saw an interesting point on youtube and thought I might get a reasonably informed answer/discussion here. What are the chances that Trump's security detail starts manipulating press reports about when/where certain legal appearances are going to be? Like, current reporting is saying he'll be arraigned or whatever on Tuesday. What are the chances that's deliberate bullshit and it happens Saturday/middle of the night sometime/whatever?

Former presidents don't have quite the same level of security as sitting ones do. I expect they may do things like come and go via unusual doors and halls but I suspect the hearings will happen when they are announced.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

facialimpediment posted:

But, perp walk highly unlikely, mugshots apparently don't get released due to a 2020 NY law

lame
rear end

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Fetterman is out of the hospital.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

Ryan Hall Y'all is a pro click on YT for this.

Much better than Clickbait TV dba The Weather Channel. Fuckers completely ignored the Memorial Day 2019 outbreak in Dayton.

Weather Channel was better when it was elevator music and white text on a blue screen punctuated with occasional maps with a person pointing at them:
https://youtu.be/QLsqM6g4g9E