Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will cause the heavyweight title to stay vacant this time?
This poll is closed.
Jon Jones goes on a pre-fight bender in Vegas 3 8.11%
Jon Jones goes on a post-fight bender in Vegas 1 2.70%
Jon Jones goes on a mid-fight bender in Vegas 4 10.81%
Jon Jones tests positive for supercocaine, which USADA spends the next three months pretending is normal 18 48.65%
A well-fought majority draw 1 2.70%
No Contest on account of simultaneous dick kicks 10 27.03%
Total: 37 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Jerusalem posted:

I'm ashamed to admit I've missed all of Jon Jones' Heavyweight fights that earned him this title shot, which top ranked competitors did he beat? Actually I don't need you to be that specific, just what competitors at Heavyweight has he beaten? Actually scratch that, I'll make it easier, I just need to see one of his Heavyweight fights, which of the heavyweight fights that the fighter about to wrestle for the Heavyweight Title has fought should I watch?

Turns out all of the heavyweight contenders lost in their battles against Dana White for a payday that makes it worth getting your brains bashed in, and that’s the most important battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

LobsterMobster posted:

Knee jerk reaction is to say Stipe, knowing he hasn't fought in a few years (though he's both fought and won more recently than Jones), but yknow, UFC seems to be dicking him around, too

Imo like the Cejudo/Sterling fight, this is another example of the big name getting an immediate title shot being less of a problem than the UFC’s pay scheme alienating all other sensible contenders.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
What is even the appeal of the apex for the UFC? You would think they want to make money from the gates at arenas.

I guess they just want to pump out shittier and shittier events that no one will go to so they can bleed the ESPN contract for everything it’s worth.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Jones beat up Anthony Smith too for whatever that is worth (nothing) but yeah the talk about Jones at the end of his LHW run was whether he was just phoning it in because the competition was so lovely (it was really really lovely) or if he had actually lost it.

I personally don’t see how Jones wins against someone where he doesn’t have any obvious physical advantages, but I also have a sneaking feeling he’s going to make short work of Gane.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

chaleski posted:

Now that Francis is gone, no. I think him vs Stipe is an extremely intriguing match up but I'll hate when Jon inevitably wins it

It’s pretty amazing how badly UFC shot themselves in the foot there. I can’t see Stipe having anything for Jones. After that there’s Pavlovich and uh Blaydes I guess, and the division is cleared out again.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Alaois posted:

okay multiple people seem confused by this so maybe I'm thinking of someone else, but did Ciryl Gane's two successful interim championship fights not involve him fighting Derrick Lewis and Tai Tuivasa?

maybe i'm being unfair to Derrick Lewis but Tai Tuivasa is uh

Tuivasa was on a winning streak at the time which made it all seem somewhat reasonable. But lol there is no one in this division anymore and after Jones fights Stipe it will be entirely irrelevant.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

LobsterMobster posted:

NFL league minimum for a rookie is $750k, and that number goes up the more years in the league the player has

And meanwhile there are probably ~20 UFC fighters pulling in that much.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Snowman_McK posted:

Actually, I said this sort of jokingly, but i picked a random heavyweight and it turns out he's on 25,000 a fight.

He actually could make more as a bouncer where I live, like really easily.

I’ve been wondering for a while now how many UFC guys have full time non-fighting gigs because yes, UFC doesn’t seem to pay a living wage until you break the top 10, and actually pays worse than a lot of unskilled jobs.

Fentry posted:

Chandler Jones has made 116 million in salary in the NFL despite being a fringe top 10 player at his position for most of his career

Yeah the tweet everyone has been talking about was from 2013, when Chandler Johnson was in the second year of his rookie contract. So he has earned multiple times more than Jon at this point.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Unperson_47 posted:

I'm late to watching this but the latest ONE Friday Night Fights had a slam KO that was all kinds of dope. This happened just 18 seconds into the fight.

https://i.imgur.com/IbSPph5.mp4

That's a big o'l boy. Dude knew he was out and just walked off, too.

Worldstar.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
I hadn’t thought about Kron Gracie in years, so I decided to check what he was up to and

quote:

Yeah, I believe the earth is flat. It is what it is. People will always try to say something. I’m not trying to promote the flat earth and try to push it — really I don’t even want to talk about it. Ultimately, no one really knows. Until you get into a rocket and you can fly up and really see,but I just have some doubts on some of these things.

He also packed up and moved to Montana in protest of COVID restrictions in California.

All very normal and healthy stuff.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

surely that's gotta be per card. i can't imagine they're shelling $600,000 per 12-fight card?

The article he’s referencing says “Bruce Buffer makes an estimated amount of $50,000 per UFC fight and $100,000 for special UFC events,” so the article’s own statement admits it’s made up and also is contradictory in one sentence as to whether it’s per fight or or event. It also reads like something that was assimilated through web crawling bots that found random bits of information on other websites,

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

DoombatINC posted:

I wonder how long the white power slap hour can astroturf itself into relevancy and what the total damage will end up being - the marketing blitz felt like good money after bad before the show even aired, now we're at the "faking twitter engagement from ham-and-eggers and abandoned accounts" stage and its only the second (?) episode

The season finale had the shows worst-yet ratings. It’s over.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

beep by grandpa posted:

(excited to talk about white power slap with my friends) Did u see the part where he slapped the guy and he fell down

So i haven’t seen power slap, but the whole reason that these slap competitions took off was that in a social media format a 15 second clip of some guy getting the absolute crap slapped out of him is actually kind of interesting and can go viral.

The fact that Dana thought that it would somehow translate into a one hour longform show is wild. I have no clue what they’re showing in between slaps but I can’t imagine it’s interesting except to humanize the people getting CTE.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Mekchu posted:

You guys aren't focused on his ridiculously chiseled physique 24/7?

Dude's muscles have muscles and I can't figure out how that's even possible.

Performance enhancing drugs tbh

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
I resisted making a post about how it actually kind of made sense to have colby be the backup, or at least it being not that big of a deal, but lol at him getting the next title shot.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

CarlCX posted:

I think denying that Colby's fights with Usman were competitive is silly, and I think denying Colby's one of the best in the division is silly.

I think Colby getting his third title shot in five fights when he has no wins against anyone ranked in the top 10 when there are multiple top contenders on winning streaks over other contenders is silly, and I think denying that is sillier.

This is right. Colby got all the shots at the title , and it’s time to see if someone else can do it. Even if Colby is a draw (which I don’t ever remember hearing about), it’s in the interests of the division to give one of Belal or Khamzat (preferably Belal) a shot and face the other against Colby so we can continue developing interesting matchups beyond Colby versus whoever.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
If you ignore the part where it’s shooting that colby gets endless title shots while the rest of the division gets held up, it’s him versus Leon is a very interesting matchup. I’d ultimately give Leon the edge, but I’m also interested in seeing how much of his victories over Usman were because of Usman declining versus Leon just being good.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Look…look at how big their heads are.

It’s like a picture of two Lego people.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
I’m surprised he can efficiently rehydrate that much in ~36 hours that’s like 4 gallons of water in body weight.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
What is going on where this man’s name is Superball Tded99? That doesn’t even make sense as a nickname.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Boco_T posted:

Most Thai fighters' ring names are the name of their fight team as the last name. Tded99 is one of the more successful teams in Thailand.
https://www.siamfightmag.com/en/the-camp-teeded-99/

Cool thanks!