Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

corn on the cop posted:

gostisbehere just went for a 2026 3rd. apologies to pungry but your team is aggressively annoying

Let's see how you feel when the Coyotes give the Devils enough cap space to trade for Erik Karlsson for the low price of a 4th round pick conditional on Ty Smith scoring 30 points next year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Coyotes held on too long and got burnt. Sad. Ah well. The conditions are pretty funny. The 2nd becomes a 1st if the Sens reach the ECF next year.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Ottawa was the only team willing/able to not send salary back apparently

The Auston Matthews to Arizona rumors are real, huh.

The Dirty Burger posted:

Not that anybody but Pungry would know, but has Chychrun ever played RD? The left side has honestly been decent with Chabot, Sanderson and Brannstrom. After Zub the right side is a wasteland

Don't ask me, I don't know how positions work lol

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

eXXon posted:

https://twitter.com/Gambo987/status/1631072098117353473

Rebuilding team refuses to pay three whole million dollars to acquire better draft picks. Great job Gary!!

https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/free-agents/ufa/?ref=trending-pages

They're saving the cap space and money for Kane and Toews and Pastrnak. Makes sense to me.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

This is a good trade, Portillo didn’t want to sign with Buffalo anyway. He’s going to graduate college this year so he’ll still require another few years to develop. Sabres have Devon Levi coming down the pipeline so that third rounder is more valuable right now.

They still kinda need to fix their goaltending situation right now, Kevin Weekes tweeted rumors that they are shopping UPL which doesn’t make sense to me. They need someone to play in a tandem with UPL and Anderson can’t play too often or he turns into a pumpkin like last night. Eric Comrie is bad and probably has no trade value, would be cool if they could dump him for someone decent but they probably won’t be able to.

Karel Vejmelka is the answer, and the Coyotes seem to be accepting literally anything at this point for their flotsam.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Getting mad at players getting paid for not playing, and teams exploiting the cap, is some a+ bootlicking. It’s like someone let my dad and uncle in here.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
The Jonathan Quick saga is just reminding me of the brief time Tim Thomas was on the Florida Panthers, and how he demanded (and did get) a release as soon as Luongo was traded back to the Panthers. I guess what I'm saying is that I hope Martin Jones gets sent to Vegas as well so Quick abandons ship.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Here's the trade

https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/1631396319024521227

Coyotes get Kessel back

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
During tonight's postgame presser where the Panthers lost in regulation to the Predators, a team that has acquired 8 draft picks this trade deadline by selling off people, Paul Maurice looked and sounded like the same dude that quit on the Winnipeg Jets last year. I am praying that it is an indication that he is either resigning, or knows he will get fired if the Panthers miss the playoffs. The Panthers have looked their best just straight up ignoring his lovely grinding system. Please please please please get rid of this rear end in a top hat.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Brendan Lemieux is going to help the Flyers take a bite out of crime.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Koopa Kid posted:

Who the gently caress is Dryden Hunt

lovely random 4th liner that came up with the Panthers. Basically Denis Malgin as eXXon said.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
It owns how every bubble team in the East is both buying and selling. Except the Panthers who have 0 cap space or people that anyone wants.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Before anyone says "oh boy can't wait for the Coyotes to be moved there", Buccigross later clarified that both Houston and Atlanta are likely to get expansion teams.

https://twitter.com/Buccigross/status/1631735715988996097

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Would the Flyers be the worst place Bedard could go? At least Arizona has a ton of picks and cap space.

The worst place Bedard could go is to *insert your favorite team*

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

ThinkTank posted:

The first trade of 100pt scorers in league history destroyed two franchises simultaneously. I guess we're not going to see another one now.

It's a fun narrative, but the Panthers very easily won the Matthew Tkachuk trade and he is not at all part of the team's problem this year. It's all Maurice. (And injuries + bad goaltending but my narrative is easier to fix)

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
I'm counting Tampa Bay out. There's no chance they make the playoffs.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Other than the coaching switching the team to an insanely frustrating low-event grind compared to the extremely fun and effective back-and-forth rush team from last year, the defense on the Panthers is just abysmal at defending. 36 year old Marc Staal gets 18 minutes a night and he can't skate. Brandon Montour gets 24 minutes a night to play as a 4th forward. Aaron Ekblad has taken a step back mostly due to being paired with Marc Staal but also looks like he's lost a step after all his injuries. Gustav Forsling is just about the only "good" two-way defenseman on that roster, and it's a real problem that Zito needs to address. I do think the forward core has been relatively unlucky and needs less work other than depth. But the Panthers could've really used Chychrun (like everyone else).

Please please please fire Maurice though. I hate his style so much. I don't even care that it *could* be effective if he got the "right" players.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Going to have to give this post the old "FreezingColdTakes" treatment. Erik Gudbranson was allowed to play the entire PK in that OT. I don't know what the hell Larsen was thinking letting that happen other than "Bedard".

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Apparently the NHL said the same thing as I just posted (I just went by what I always knew the rule to be).

https://mobile.twitter.com/ByMHarrington/status/1633306983368470529

Has to be off the foot/skate on any sort of kicking motion and this isn't. (I also don't think it's a kick)

If that's the rule, why was this goal called back? Very clearly not kicked in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOZb5HKMAsM

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
It's actually very good for the Panthers that Pens-Isles went to OT with the Isles winning. The Panthers need to finish 9th in the conference desperately so that they can't give a top 5 pick to Montreal should they win the lottery and so that they can justifiably fire Paul Maurice. Thank you Penguins for melting down.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Mind_Taker posted:

My favorite part of 2018 was hearing the life get sucked out of Amalie Arena in Game 7 after Wilson decked Kunitz and Ovie socked a dinger.

I somehow completely forgot Chris Kunitz was ever on the Lightning.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
I think they should eliminate all video review. It stinks for pacing and viewability, and they still get the call wrong enough of the time that it feels pointless.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Rex it feels like you've gotten more aggressive than usual lately. What's wrong? The Pens are still on pace to make the playoffs.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

deoju posted:

Hoping for a Blues/Bruins final just to see how Marchand would gently caress with Binnington. Worst rat vs biggest baby.

This already happened and this was the outcome.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
The Panthers and Canadiens combined for 10 goals in 13:18 of the first period, the fastest combined 10 goals in an NHL game ever.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Man, I know goaltending is voodoo and that the Hurricanes' defense is way way better than the Red Wings', but it is insane to me that Nedeljkovic has been this bad since moving from Carolina to Detroit. Dude was a Calder finalist, got flipped for what felt like a very cheap price (a 3rd or a 4th, I think), and then gave up one of the worst goals of all time while also not looking good in general.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
I hope they redo the lottery rules again and again every year to make them more confusing and arcane for a very nebulous increase in "parity". You'd really think the Oilers winning all those lotteries and making the conference finals once over the past 13 years would be reason enough that they've massively overthought this poo poo.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
The Florida Panthers are back in a playoff spot :)

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Man we really need the Penguins to start winning again so the aggroposting can get toned down.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

ThinkTank posted:

There's nothing funnier than a team going way off the board and having it blow up in their face like when the Sens took Boucher at 10.

The quarterly Barret Hayton at #5 reminder. Not only because he's barely a top-6 player on the 2022-3 Coyotes but because the Coyotes lost a first+ other stuff for John Chyaka's illegal pre-draft workouts and interviews with him. Good stuff.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
https://twitter.com/DavidDwork/status/1638921355688292353

https://twitter.com/DavidDwork/status/1638921256769847297

Hurray, Paul Maurice and the Panthers are at least doing the bare minimum.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

I love the Panthers so much. Wild that Vinnie Viola, Trump's nominee for Secretary of the Army, is signing off on poo poo like this and the job fair. Very cool.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Matt Zerella posted:

Considering how much they all leech off taxpayer money to fill their Scrooge McDuck vaults, they're all garbage. Some just more than others.

WeaponX posted:

Lol none of the orgs or owners are decent. Let’s not give a pass to the worlds shittiest people because they did something they should be doing anyway. I‘m sure these owners who are “allowing” pride night jerseys are supporting and donating to those in power who are building the framework to genocide trans people.

Thanks guys. I'll go back to never feeling good about anything ever.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Furnaceface posted:

I dont really watch other sports so Im genuinely curious now if the other pro leagues around the world also have their respective top star being an unlikeable black hole of personality?

Have you heard of Mike Trout?

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Ginette Reno posted:

drat Jordan has always been one of my favorite players. Unfortunate.

I'm glad Malkin doesn't give a gently caress and keeps wearing it. I hope that continues and he doesn't back out next year or whenever the Pens do one of these

Fortunately for you, it's just Eric and Marc refusing the jerseys. No clue if Jordan would/will do the same.

It's just so loving frustrating to have these assholes undermine this whole thing without consequence because the Panthers can't ice a full roster without them and their league minimum cap hit. It'd be great if they just got jettisoned for the random 4th line fringe prospects from the AHL with the same cap hit but they have *~experience~* so they aren't ever coming out of the lineup.

I can't believe this line in their statement: “After many thoughts, prayers and discussions we have chosen not to wear a pride jersey tonight." How is that not a parody? Insane.

e: Check this sick rainbow scarf though

Pungry fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 24, 2023

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
So, the Predators are 3 points back of a playoff spot with 2 games in hand on the Jets. What do people think about their chances to make it? Seems wild after all the selling off they did at the deadline to think they're this close.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Very cool news about the former majority owner of the Coyotes for this to come out just before the public vote on a new stadium. I don't think this is the straw that breaks the camel's back when it comes to the NHL supporting the franchise since nothing else seems to do it but my god they just got to cut their losses at this point.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
I'm proud to say that the Staal brothers refusing to wear the Pride Jerseys 3 games ago has led to the Panthers completely falling out of wild card contention again. Good riddance.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Don't look now, but the Kraken are one point away from clinching a playoff spot in their second year of existence, and I might get to see it live on Thursday's game against Arizona :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

ThinkTank posted:

Did Seattle really miss out on the opportunity to use KrakIN as their playoff marketing?

The official Kraken playoff marketing is "2023 Kraken Playoffs Presented By Prime" and I'm not kidding. They gave out signs with that on them after the game.