Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug
It seems like they'd have Max back off before they put that much of a gap between him and the field, no point in pushing at all / risking anything past a pit stop delta when a safety car could nullify it.

I saw Sargeant let Max past with the blue flags on the last lap at the end of the last straight before the start-finish straight. It's moot because he was in 12th, but I wonder if he would have tried harder to stay ahead of being lapped if he was in 11th in the hopes that some car in the top 10 would break on the last lap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug
It's extremely funny to me that Ferrari managed a slick double stack in Bahrain yet still managed to have something else fail

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
Pillbug

MustardFacial posted:

I hear the F2 season has been a banger so far. I'm going to watch the F2 race this weekend and if the rumours are true I'm turning this into the F2 thread for good racing.

They've been more entertaining than F1 so far I think (low bar). Martins looks like the perfect junior driver where he's fast, aggressive, clever, and prone to making random mistakes and spins.

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
Pillbug

opposable thumbs.db posted:

They've been more entertaining than F1 so far I think (low bar). Martins looks like the perfect junior driver where he's fast, aggressive, clever, and prone to making random mistakes and spins.

Just watched the F2 feature race and haha Martins how do you crash someone else out during a safety car?

They apparently gave Martins only a ten second penalty, which will surely drop his finishing position down from already-last

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
Pillbug

the milk machine posted:

i posted awhile ago that oval racing was boring but i watched the texas indycar race and it was pretty entertaining (plus i just finished the part of adrian newey's book where he talks about indycar)

i want to apologize to the thread for posting incorrectly

Plus, in a doubly-fitting event, the race
- ended with the last two laps under a safety car
- after Grosjean crashed on lap 248/250

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
Pillbug

MustardFacial posted:

Is it race week yet?

Yes, if you want to watch more chaotic racing with worse production values (Indycar Long Beach)

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
Pillbug
Leclerc's penalty was for control electronics right? So that theoretically is unaffected by this change.

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
Pillbug
Loooool KMag 4th, Max 9th

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
Pillbug
Shame that they didn't send Bottas out on a set of used tires for a lap at the start of Q3

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
Pillbug
Musk getting more and more dismayed as his conversation with Adrian Newey continues and he realizes that Newey's science deals with *car* races

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
Pillbug
Please crash into each other tia

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
Pillbug
The point for KMag seems significant because it's hard to see too many scenarios where the bottom 5 teams can get easy points without some of the top 5 teams DNFing

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
Pillbug

Rinkles posted:

Was that race (or was it just qualifying?) that got him the spot just a fluke?

It was Monza with a Williams that was the fastest car in a straight line but couldn't corner. Turns out "beating Latifi" is not the most predictive characteristic of immediate success

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
Pillbug

Thanks Ants posted:

Give us a street circuit that is a figure 8, build a ramp, you cowards

The Saudi (or Qatari? I don't remember which and tbh it doesn't matter) race was "supposed to be replaced" with a monstrosity of a design that had a figure 8 design and something ridiculous like 37 "turns". Of course no one with a brain ever thought that they'd actually construct that track.

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
Pillbug

Dynamite Dog posted:

That was Saudi, yes. Jeddah is supposed to be temporary

Yeah the new site is supposed to be Qiddiya, "will be ready" in 2027.

https://imgur.io/gallery/Qwt3esx

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
Pillbug

the milk machine posted:

they should do the indy 500 simultaneously with an f1 race on the road course and yes they should still overlap on turn whatever

This is an even better idea when you realize that the road course uses the bits of oval track clockwise whereas the 500 runs counterclockwise

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
Pillbug
Lol Sargent being literally stopped

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
Pillbug
Sargent just running tyre tests now on the softs

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
Pillbug
Yuki nooooo

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
Pillbug
F1 should adopt two quali rules from Indycar:
1. If you cause a red / yellow flag that causes people to lose laps, you lose your fastest lap so far
2. Move the timing line to before pit entry so that cool down laps are unnecessary

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
Pillbug
In Buxton's defense (ugh) apparently the Netflix producers explicitly told him to treat the audience like they're idiots, that they know absolutely nothing and that they can't figure anything out

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
Pillbug

PhoenixFlaccus posted:

Couldn’t remember if it was Lawson that was caught using “gamer language” on a stream but it was Vips, who he replaced. Vips is now eyeing Indycar, which is very fitting for a edgelord (at best) rich kid.

Specifically Vips had a heated gaming moment while on Liam Lawson's public stream, in what was possibly a masterfully arranged setup by Lawson

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
Pillbug
Max himself is currently up 52 points on Mercedes and if you were to remove Perez from existence then the Merc drivers would only gain like 24 points from the resultant bump in the races and sprints so far

e: and Max would gain 15 points as well

opposable thumbs.db fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jul 12, 2023

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
Pillbug
I love sassy GP

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
Pillbug
To be clear, that happened to the driver in first place lol

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
Pillbug

the milk machine posted:

what's the race from a couple years ago that had rain but it stopped, so all the drivers went in for slicks but lewis stayed out on inters and expertly wore them down to slicks and won

2020 Turkey?

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
Pillbug

I'm the pit lane

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
Pillbug
I feel like "let me know what I need to do so that we can win the race" is a silly thing to say because I'm pretty sure they were already planning on doing that!

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
Pillbug

the milk machine posted:

suzuka has the best fans

this is the only pure truth to have ever been posted in this thread

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
Pillbug
The FIA control the races themselves but FOM controls everything else, so the comedy option is that Andretti cars participate in the race but get no logistics support and the TV cameras shoot around them to avoid ever showing them

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
Pillbug
Tennis has Hawkeye decide in/out calls instantaneously, but the pinnacle of motorsport requires like 15-20 minutes haha

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
Pillbug

marshalljim posted:

Hinchcliffe is the only IndyCar mediocrity the USGP needs.

Hinch is great, and also Canadian for anyone who wants to grumble about Americans.

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
Pillbug
Leclerc DQed as well

https://twitter.com/williamsracing/status/1716248518040473720 lol

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
Pillbug
So they randomly tested four cars, two failed, and they're...just not going to test the rest?

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
Pillbug
I think refueling also led to worse racing on track? It seems like it's better to have the decision to pit making you faster (new tyres) rather than slower (more fuel)

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
Pillbug

PhoenixFlaccus posted:

It allows for a wider variety of strategies. Not sure what your “it makes the cars slower” argument is. They need enough fuel to finish the race either regardless of when you put it in. Not sure how that negatively affects racing.

Cost and reducing pit lane injuries seem like good enough reasons to not do it.

If you require refueling then cars become slower when you pit because you're adding fuel. This means that you can't actively do anything to gain an advantage over cars around you, as opposed to "fresh tyres". But yeah there are multiple reasons

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
Pillbug
Hahaha wtf happened

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
Pillbug
Just need a few more retirements for Sargeant to have a chance at points

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
Pillbug
Don't mind me just getting lost in Gasly's eyes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
Pillbug
It seems like the sprint weekends often have at least one team just messing up the setup entirely due to only having one practice session