Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
The Aston’s pace does look legit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Alpha Tauri is hosed lol.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
That was a great qualifying session.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
A really good qualifying session followed by an ok race. Benz are right hosed it looks like though - but it’s a long season.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

harperdc posted:

Newey also has been working in racing since the mid 1980s, so he helped work on ground effects cars back then! I don’t think it’s as much his experience there as the overall “can see the air” genius for design combined with an eye for reading the rules and finding the best way to still get what they need from the framework.

Early 80s actually - IIRC he started in the last Ground Effect era.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Custard Undies posted:

Were you not watching during the Honda size zero era?

I remember when Honda was solely blamed for their failure.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

MustardFacial posted:

I will say that Ron Dennis wouldn't let Honda move away from the "size zero" concept even after they begged him to do so, Then they had to get help from the aircraft division so the turbo wouldn't fail, then they had to clean sheet the engine 3 times before it became a title winner. So to say wanting to move away from Honda was a mistake is a pretty hot take.

McLaren on the other hand after dropping Honda shoehorned in the 2nd worst engine on the grid into their car and suddenly was fighting for 3rd and 4th.

Much of the Honda/McLaren debacle should be put on Ron Dennis and Eric Boullier.

The 2018 car was absolutely not fighting for 3rd and 4th, neither was the 2019 car.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

tony quidtana posted:

you know when you put it that way you're definitely right. It absolutely was Honda's fault that their team of rotating engineers with little to no F1 experience who were contractually obligated to follow what Mclaren wanted, had followed designed and built what the team McLaren determined and demanded they needed for their car. How could I be so stupid to think it was the team's fault.

welcome back wicka

People also have selective memory of 2018 - the MCL33 had a few red herring results at the season’s beginning (they were clobbered by Toro Rosso in Bahrain.) and by mid season the car could not consistently make it out of Q3 - Vandoorne actually did worse in 2018.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Rectal Placenta posted:

Why would you consume any F1 media that isn't the motorsport.com comment section

Special type of unhinged, that place is.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Rhopunzel posted:

since i'm banned from the SASCAR discord i have to make do with online streams and let me tell you, if you think motorsport.com is bad

i was gonna paste a screen of a choice one abour our lewis a few days ago but it was so torrid i was worried i'd get banned here too. needless to say it was littered with the N-word every other word

Dear god.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I don’t really understand hyper-partisan sports fans and never will. Being passionate is one thing, but online is full of complete frothing insane people.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Particularly in F1 or any type of racing though - as it’s mostly an engineering based discipline. I recall my friend posting a letter sent from a guy to NASCAR saying that he was going to assassinate Dale Earnhardt.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

tony quidtana posted:

I've seen some wild poo poo at club level kart racing, just people reading to loving start throwing hands over some dipshit race that nobody is going to remember the result of 2 months later,

Jesus Christ. Time Attack is not like this at all.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

the milk machine posted:

somebody mentioned it so i'm watching the 2008 brazilian grand prix. it's good, tyvm to whoever mentioned it

Watch the 1986 Spanish GP.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

tony quidtana posted:

I think you need a certain level of sociopathy to be successful in racing, its not a team sport in any capacity other than name, the more resources you can grab for yourself is always going to benefit you as a racer. Pulling off questionable moves without contrition regardless of the outcome is always going to tilt the hand towards you since everyone else drive more conservatively around you as a result.

In terms of them driving around in high speed "coffins" I think that's pretty laughable and you are by a wide margin safer crashing in an F1 car than you are in the average road car, people seem to get pissy when I bring that up though because it shatters the illusion of "they're gladiators". I think its very questionable how well these drivers would actually do if they genuinely had their life in their hands instead of it being some very stupid fake marketing talking point, but there's no way that's ever going to happen.

The last time most race cars were actual “coffins” was the 1980s - and the spate of horrific accidents during that decade across all disciplines made the rulemakers really ramp up safety. Especially in F1.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Dudley posted:

Unironically this.

It is my favourite ever season.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

tony quidtana posted:

1986 loving owns as a season. the 80s as a whole had some banger seasons tbh just a terrific era

Every season from 1980-1991 is good to great.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

ilmucche posted:

Yeah lewis had a few stupid errors that cost him big. Brake magic in Baku being the one that stands out to me

I would say too the RBR/MB were dead even more or less even if Mercedes-Benz won the WCC. The RBR was slightly faster in qualifying trim, the MB better in races. I’d argue too the Honda had better drivability and didn’t have a significant power drop off as they aged, unlike the Mercedes-Benz motors seemed to suffer from.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
In good news the Ferrari Hypercar is pretty good. The downside is that the Toyota, who everyone didn’t seem to take seriously for some reason, is psychotically fast.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

FAUXTON posted:

is that the one that red flagged FP3 because (per the driver) the traction control shut off in the corner and the rear immediately broke loose at full power or was that a different Ferrari I saw in the WEC

And?

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
:italy:

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Bullshit Penalty.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Also I hate this track so much.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Alaois posted:

is bojack horseman the show that's just the achewood "im the guy who sucks plus i got depression" strip but stretched out over 5 seasons of a cartoon

It’s a show about a sad horse.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

It’s doubly funny as Anzu Futaba is listless and lazy.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
The Porsche deal was dead once the RBR partnership was called off. No great loss really, Porsche isn’t really and F1 company anyway.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
It bears repeating - Porsche’s 1991 3512 V12 is the absolute worst major engine program of the last 50 years.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Let’s go Ferrari.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
The forever race.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Charles Leclerc posted:

I hope Roy Nissany gets an F1 seat, he is so aggressively poo poo it reminds me of Maldonado.

Maldonado was decent.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Iwasa is a bit of a surprise honestly. It’s still early.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

tony quidtana posted:

It was the race OP, I just finished watching it and I should've left it where I stopped watching last night.

I thought it was fine until the red flags, and the end was a farce.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

the milk machine posted:

i posted awhile ago that oval racing was boring but i watched the texas indycar race and it was pretty entertaining (plus i just finished the part of adrian newey's book where he talks about indycar)

i want to apologize to the thread for posting incorrectly

It sometimes is really bad.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Arc Hammer posted:

I like how Yuki has said that he's been practicing his defensive driving by rewatching Alonso vs Hamilton at Hungary.

Before the season started I figured that Yuki would be one of the most likely drivers to get axed at the end of the year but if De Vries continues to suck then Yuki might be safe in his mediocrity.

He should be worried about Iwasa, however it’s still early.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Arc Hammer posted:

I'd be down for an honour duel between Tsunoda and Iwasa.

And also Lawson now.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Not only is the Mercedes-Benz chassis suck the power unit is “clipping” pretty severely on the straights. What that means is that the ICE component is not only missing a bit of power WRT to the Honda and Ferrari, the ERS system is worse and this is compounded by high drag as well.

Frond fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Apr 11, 2023

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

SocksAndSandals posted:

I'm re-watching the 2007 season and Lewis is actually really, really good? seems to be kicking Alonso's rear end in the same car (and his first year in f1)

Also in this season:

Kimi press conferences, how i've missed them
Bring back nurburgring

All timer season. And yes he is really good. A generational talent. Like Verstappen, Like Alonso, and even like Raikkonen.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Nico Rosberg Ftw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Checked and he did.

He did the Manga thing where he worked really and believed in himself and overcame a challenge despite being less skilled.