Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

SKULL.GIF posted:

The Jets have the roster and the coaching for it.

Do the Jets have the coaching for it? Saleh has a worse record than Fangio did his first two years. The Jets went 7-10 last year which is the same record Denver had in 2021 in a harder division. And the Jets just hired the coach that architected the Broncos putrid offense to be their OC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Shrimpy posted:

Who is also the ex-Packers offensive coordinator. Not that that makes him good but at least he'll be able to install an offense Rodgers knows. Rodgers will audible any play call he doesn't like, so offensive playcaller doesn't even matter much.

The big problem with the Jets is that while they have good skill players at WR and RB, their offensive line is bad.

Hackett didn’t run Lafleur’s offense in Denver, don’t know why you’d expect him to do it in NY. It’s not his offense and he didn’t run it in Green Bay.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Shrimpy posted:

If the Jets get Aaron Rodgers, then I'd expect his former OC to run the offense that Aaron Rodgers is most familiar with.

Does he run the LaFleur offense if Rodgers isn't there? Who knows. But if Rodgers is there and Hackett knows the offense, he'd take "being a bad coach" to new heights.

Rodgers has complained about Lafleur’s offense in the past. He stated that he prefers a WCO style passing attack which is what Hackett has run at his other stops. What will probably happen is that Rodgers is going to walk all over Hackett and they’re going to end up running whatever Rodgers wants and it’ll probably be dysfunctional just like it was with the Broncos.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Acebuckeye13 posted:

For the record, Jackson has one playoff win in his five year career. Actually looking into it he's got a pretty lovely record in the playoffs - 55.9% accuracy, 3-5 TD-INT ratio, 68.3 passer rating. His rushing stats are obviously better, but even then he's only got a single rushing TD.

The Ravens offense the last few years has rivaled the Bears for lack of talent and general dysfunction, in addition to everyone always being injured all the time.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Bird in a Blender posted:

Yea by giving him a $60 million signing bonus, which is kind of absurd. Never understood how bonuses apparently don’t count against the cap.

They do.

The cap is real but also very easy to manipulate over the short to medium term. Eventually a reckoning has to happen but it can generally be put off until an opportune time like when the team needs to rebuild anyway because the franchise QB or head coach retires.

QB is also the single most important position in the game by a wide margin so it’s the one place you absolutely have to pay what the market demands if you want to be competitive. You can try to draft and develop or fill gaps with value priced role players everywhere else, but if you’ve got a top 10 QB you have to pay them. The cap keeps going up so in a few years todays record breaking contract will look more reasonable as some other QBs set new records.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

GNU Order posted:

The NFC is so bad though. Go look at that schedule

It rarely matters how good or bad the teams in the division are, they still manage to steal games off of each other.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1634636162517041153

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

HootTheOwl posted:

That's what a framework is tho

No it isn’t? A framework is the structure of the deal that would be written into a contract. All they’ve done is agree to work on a trade if Rodgers decides he wants one.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

xbilkis posted:

$20 million for a RT with one good year under his belt? I'm drafting a tackle at 9 instead of paying anyone in this market, sorry

The Bears have a billion dollars and a ton of holes, they need to spend money in FA so they can save their draft picks for positions they can’t easily fill in FA. You only get to spend that #9 pick once, you can’t use it on a DT and a DE and multiple offense linemen and another WR.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

xbilkis posted:

I think the d-linemen in this market are a better value, so I'd spend there. I'd rather give $20 million a year to Dre'mont Jones than $18-20m to McGlinchey or Taylor

Do both. They have plenty of money. If the Bears don’t come away from FA with at least one quality OL signing they‘ve hosed up pretty badly.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Dexo posted:

"SMH we gotta fire poles, he gave out all these bad contracts two years ago, and now the Bears are hosed when they have to resign Fields" - Alt Universe Nirwad in 2 years

If they’re actually in a situation where they want to resign Fields in two years for a lot of money that seems like a pretty massive win and I can’t imagine caring how you got there.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

tinstaach posted:

Prove to who? You?

Presumably to the teams that are considering drafting him. There are plenty of valid mental health reasons for why a player might check out between the end of a very stressful and high intensity college career and the high stress lead up to the draft and playing in the NFL. I don’t expect NFL teams really give a poo poo what the reasons are though, they just want to be pretty confident that someone they take in the first round will be ready to play, physically and mentally.

Carter will have plenty of opportunity to explain himself to teams in private interviews, teams aren’t making their decisions based on tweets, that’s all just a lot of noise for very little signal.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Pops Mgee posted:

This is insane.

His market is exactly one team and the Packers want to get rid of him almost as badly as that team wants him. They aren’t in a very strong position and that’s before accounting for the fact that he’s almost 40 and spent last year being bad and injured.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

SKULL.GIF posted:

What's Rodgers going to do? Whine? Ignorable. Retire? Ok, great, the team can move on. Try to force himself onto the team for 2023? He doesn't have a no-trade clause, the Packers can Osweiler him to a team with a ton of cap space for like a 6th or something. What's he gonna do in THAT case? Retire?

Nobody is trading for Rodgers other than the Jets. They can’t just ship him off for some low pick to a poo poo team because nobody is taking on that contract if he doesn’t want to play there. Why do you think the Packers only have one suitor?

Their options are trade him to the Jets, he retires and they get nothing and eat a big dead cap charge immediately, or he doesn’t retire, they get nothing, and are forced to pay him an extra 60m to sit on the bench while Jordan Love struggles.

adaz posted:

Also per OTC if they wait till after june 1st I think they save $15 mil in dead money / cap hits soooo

Well, they still have to pay it, they just get to split the cap hit over two years. But even if the trade itself is executed then both sides surely want a trade in principle agreed to well before that.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Mar 17, 2023

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

SKULL.GIF posted:

That's not the point, the point is that the Packers have that option, and if the Jets don't offer enough the Packers can threaten to go full scorched earth.

The Packers don’t have that option because they need a counter party willing to make that trade. Who is to take one 60 million in cap costs for a player who doesn’t even want to be there and is being traded out of spite? Nobody wants Rodgers other than the Jets now, why would him being angry and unwilling make him more attractive?

Also, the idea that the Packers would trade Rodgers for less out of spite is just ridiculous.

quote:

Rodgers declaring he wants to be a Jet didn't eliminate Green Bay's leverage, it actually maximized it. Put yourself in New Jersey's shoes for a moment, you have a Hall of Fame QB saying he wants to go to your team and take you to your best shot of a Super Bowl since the Namath days. What price are you willing to pay? And what happens if you go "That's too expensive"?

This is a homer take. The Packers have one good option and some terrible ones. The Jets have one good option and terrible ones. That’s not leverage, that’s a stalemate.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Dexo posted:

And then god forbid if Jordan love sucks or gets hurt lol.

The absolute funniest scenario is Rodgers still being on the roster next year sitting on the bench being smug as hell while Love sucks. Just imagine the press conferences.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

Good news! He doesn't go to minimcamp even when he isn't disgruntled!

That’s his secret, he’s always disgruntled.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Shrimpy posted:

Yes, but the Jets are incentivized to get this done now while the Packers are incentivized to wait regardless of whether there is an agreement in principle. So if the Jets want to have Rodgers before June 1st, that should cost extra.

The Jets don’t need it done now. They can certainly wait until after the draft at the very least, on the chance that a QB they like falls to them.

The Packers have to make a decision on Love’s 5th year option by May 1st and that’s harder if they don’t know what’s happening with Rodgers.

If Rodgers is still on the roster this year he could end up being a 70m cap hit in 2024. Add another 20m for Loves 5th year and that’s 90m tied up in QBs in 2024. I doubt they’re 100% comfortable making a decision on Love without knowing what is happening with Rodgers.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

SKULL.GIF posted:

That's silly. It's as simple as this:

One team has the QB they want to start Week 1. The other team doesn't.

Who has leverage?

Aaron Rodgers has the leverage because he can make the Packers pay him a bunch of money for nothing and then leave them with a huge bill in 2024. The Packers “leverage” requires that you believe they’re extremely dumb and spiteful and also that neither the Jets nor Aaron Rodgers is dumber and more spiteful.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Hand Row posted:

Why is this a petty battle? The Packers just want value for what they think Rodgers is worth which apparently is more than the Jets and would just feed into Rodgers ego. Also Rodgers doesn’t have a no trade clause.

Not going to argue the Packers front office isnt a bunch of goobers, but given the situation waiting a little bit for the pressure to get to the Jets is fine by me.

It doesn’t need to be petty, but the Packers leaked a bunch of stuff about how they were sick of Rodgers and ready to get rid of him and Rodgers evidently took that personally (shocking) and now it’s trending that way.

I was also responding to this idea that they would Osweiler him which is both extremely petty and entirely unrealistic.

SKULL.GIF posted:

What's Rodgers going to do? Whine? Ignorable. Retire? Ok, great, the team can move on. Try to force himself onto the team for 2023? He doesn't have a no-trade clause, the Packers can Osweiler him to a team with a ton of cap space for like a 6th or something. What's he gonna do in THAT case? Retire?

Rodgers doesn’t have a no trade clause but nobody is trading for a guy they’re going to immediately have to pay 60 million dollars if he doesn’t want to be there. The Osweiler salary dump required Houston to give up more draft capital than they got in return. They gave a 2nd and Osweiler and got a 4th and 6th back and that was just to offload 15m guaranteed. Attempting to salary dump Rodgers would cost the Packers more and is an extremely stupid suggestion when they could just trade him to the Jets for what’s on offer instead of giving up picks to dump his salary.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

SKULL.GIF posted:

Because, again, the point isn't that the Packers will actually do that. They won't. The point is the front office has these options, and they have time to sit and watch the Jets sweat it out.

I’m sure the Jets are really sweating that the Packers are going to try to trade away draft picks to someone to take Aaron Rodgers contract instead of accepting a reasonable offer from the Jets.

It’s okay to admit that this isn’t a master stroke of negotiations, it’s a Mexican standoff where both sides are threatening to shoot themselves if the other doesn’t drop their gun.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Mar 17, 2023

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

This whole thing is reminding me of when the Timberwolves "had" to trade Kevin Love to the Cavs and everyone was wondering why it was taking so long because they had no leverage and then they got the #1 overall pick in the trade

I’m sure the trade ends up happening and the compensation will be meaningful but way less than Wilson or Watson cost. Maybe the equivalent of a late first, with some conditions.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

I'd take a 2nd this year and 1st next year just to end the. I think I'd keep Rodgers as rhe most expensive backup in history if I was offered a 3rd purely out of spite. But I'd be a poo poo GM.

A 2nd this year and a non conditional first next year is like the best case scenario the Packers can hope for, I sure hope you’d take that.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I read some gossip somewhere, probably reddit, that Jamaal’s agent was being greedy so Detroit said ok imma take this same offer and go fishing and welp

I can’t find it now but that would make a lot more sense

Ah, those dastardly agents trying to get their clients paid real money before they’re forced to retire at 30 because their joints don’t work anymore.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

MikeCrotch posted:

I think Hooker would be being drafted as a backup since afaik the Lions have no backup QB under contract right now

You don’t draft a backup as high as Hooker will go unless you intend for him to be the starter in a year or two and drafting a 25 year old and not even playing him immediately would be really unwise.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Dexo posted:

Justin Fields would be the Number one Prospect in this draft lol.

Eh, I doubt it. Teams found reasons to drop him a few years ago they’d find the same reasons this year. He’d be behind Stroud and Young I’m sure.

quote:

Also if there was a real combine Justin Field's year, uh, he would have put up Richardson numbers lol.

Richardson has a couple of inches and 20lbs on Fields. He’s Josh Allen sized. Putting up the numbers he did is nuts. Shame he’s bad at football.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Sataere posted:

Fields might not have been the physical freak, but he wasn't far off. And his tape was significantly better than Richardson's. Even without the combine, it still makes no sense

I 100% agree that Fields is an amazing athlete and him dropping made no sense.

Hand Row posted:

I would normally think the Saints are the clear favorites but man Allen might just be a poo poo head coach.

He’s pretty bad. His cowardice cost them two or three games last season.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Comfortador posted:

I don't think Teddy will want to be here tbh. I'm sure he'd rather go to a team where he has a chance to start.

Nobody is offering him a chance to start.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Hahahaah

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

mercenarynuker posted:

So Falcons have to make a decision by beginning of May as to whether to pick up Okudah's 5th year option? Haha, good luck evaluating that and making a decision over the two busiest weeks of the year for GMs

The Falcons have a ton of cap space, no good players to pay any time soon, and the 5th year option for corners is like $12m. It’s not exactly a crippling move if they decide to go ahead and pick it up.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The worst part of the country to drive through is the Texas panhandle.

Trust me

The drive from Dallas to Albuquerque is so singularly uninteresting for so long that you start to wonder if you’ve somehow been going in circles because surely you would have passed *something* notable by now.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

fennesz posted:

I too like when my first round picks miss their rookie year and then 6 minimum games their second year! It's the best.

Don’t think you know what bust means

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Lol, I was just listening to this album a few days ago.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

fennesz posted:

90 snaps and 2 touches in the first 23 games of an NFL career means that a guy is going to have a harder go of it. Pretending that is irrelevant and he's still going to face no barriers to success in the future is...dumb. No sense in talking to people that refuse to acknowledge reality. But that's Lions fans! :banjo:

e: clarity

Nobody said it’s irrelevant, they said it doesn’t make him a bust.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

fennesz posted:

And I never said he was a 100% bust either! I said he was looking like a bust. Next time I'll strive to be clearer on a comedy forum - I'm deeply sorry.

Just for you: Jameson Williams is looking like the Lions wasted yet another 1st round pick. Their current WR depth is actually worse than anyone else in the NFCN. It's possible his career is able to recover but I'd bet against his development rather than for it.

That’s still stupid. He’s a first round pick and super talented, he will have plenty of time to learn and prove himself. Nobody even expected him to play last year! You might as well have called him a likely bust as soon as he was drafted if your criteria is “misses a bunch of games early in his career.”

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Jamo’s snap count at the end of the year was low because he was getting back into football shape, hadn’t practiced enough with the team, and was still get up to speed on the playbook. He also just wasn’t really needed because the offense was humming.

It’s pretty normal to bring a guy back from an injury slowly, doubly so if he’s a rookie who has never played an NFL game before.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Sounds like the Packers may be eating some of Rodger’s future money as well, so they may have been willing to trade some cap space this and next year to get more value in picks.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Sataere posted:

For what they got, they should be eating most of it. I will admit to being wrong. Being petty, spiteful bitches paid off for the Packers FO. That was way too much to give up for a one year rental and I take back every positive thing I've ever said about this current Jets FO.

It’s a mid second this year and probably a late first next year (if Rodgers hits the playtime incentives the Jets should make the playoffs) which is pretty close to the 2 2nds that was being thrown around and seemed reasonable. If the Packers are eating some of the salary then I don’t think it’s a bad deal for either side.

I think keying in Rodgers as their only option to begin with was pretty stupid but that ship sailed a long time ago.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

If the Packers are bad again next year I’m not really sure she the argument is for keeping a guy who traded up to waste a first round pick on a QB and hired a coach and built a roster that apparently can’t win without a HoF caliber QB playing at an MVP level.

Great, he got value trading two players he didn’t even draft, so what? The team is either good or it isn’t and if they’re looking to draft another QB next year then it probably isn’t.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

SKULL.GIF posted:

Rodgers threw 48 loving touchdowns in 2020. There were five Pro Bowlers and three All-Pros on the 2020 offense. All of these players were drafted by Green Bay. Offensive talent wasn't the problem.

When these picks hit you don't need to reach for offensive talent in the first round is the point I'm trying to make.

Only one of those five was actually selected by the current GM. If your argument is that they already had good players on offense so he didn’t need to draft more I’d say 1) you always need to restock with young talent and 2) he spent the picks on defense instead and it was still mediocre.

Nervous posted:

Caleb Williams in Green Bay after a year of sucking with Love.

That sounds dirty.

Neither the Packers nor the Jets will be bad enough for the Packers to get Caleb. Whoever has that pick is probably keeping it.