Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

HonorableTB posted:

This is accurate. NAFO is pretty much a counterforce for Russian disinformation and propaganda. It's harder for things to stick if all their channels are clogged with cartoon dogs calling them idiots

Yes.

For as much as some people might find NAFO to be inappropriately irreverent or even annoying, the movement, such as it is, emerged naturally in response to Russian propaganda across social media and has done a lot to prevent pro-Russian narratives from taking hold outside of the most extreme and isolated online communities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

this owns

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

FirstnameLastname posted:

i wasn't saying to self-flagellate over it or to not celebrate successes in the war at all, i recognize it's a war, and a very violent one at that, and that people are going to continue to be killed for a while. It sucks but war sucks. It's just that of all the things to celebrate, mobiks getting massacred isn't one of them. I'm not talking about it from a military perspective just a human one.

From a military perspective, the objective and not being a war criminal is all that really matters, and I get that.

I just think it's really important to separate those things, I guess, and not let that militaristic logic leak out into other stuff.

it's dangerously simple and makes people miss important details, and stop being able to look at things from other's perspectives, or empathize, that mix of reductive thinking, target fixation and tribalism
good for being actually in a war, not so good for anything else,
but I'll drop it anyways because it's pretty off-topic at this point

For what it's worth I find your position understandable and sympathize with it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Herstory Begins Now posted:

:rolleyes:

russia shouldn't publicly, openly frame their war as a genocidal war of conquest aimed at the specific destruction of Ukrainian identity and Ukrainian state if they don't want to be compared to other countries famous for genocide and wars of conquest

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

HonorableTB posted:

Back to a serious topic, the unarmed Ukrainian POW that the Russian soldiers filmed themselves murdering has become an instantly viral martyr. It spread so fast it's now on western mainstream media

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/russian-soldiers-execute-ukrainian-pow-135000255.html

Russia's created an instant rallying figure, you really cannot get a more perfect encapsulation of this war than invaders making an unarmed prisoner dig his own grave and then killing him for saying Glory to Ukraine.

How monstrous.

War is bad, and Russia is the warmongering party.

A peace settlement without Russia leaving all of Ukraine, including Donbas and Crimea, is not peace.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

KirbyKhan posted:

Peace is good, war is bad

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

If you say peace is good then prove it

Say Russia and its armies should leave Ukraine

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Peace troll condemn the invasion challenge (Impossible)

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

thank god at least one person got the ref lmao

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Technically speaking, that poster is correct.

I can also confirm that I have not encountered a well-trained or equipped Russian army.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Cugel the Clever posted:

A bit of a tangent from the war coverage.

This was a very sobering post.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Killer robot posted:

Not sure if replies are jokes or if people are earnestly doing this.

lol

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

jet fuel piss tape real

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

HonorableTB posted:

lmao that stamp is ludicrous

It's definitely some energy alright

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

:piss:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm gonna arrest putin

in minecraft

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yes I'm certain the people of Ukraine are very concerned about the US invasion of Iraq

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Flavahbeast posted:

I wonder if anyone could be legally guilty of discrediting the army here, the kid with the sign or the passersby hugging him. Anyway, it's heartwarming

https://twitter.com/leonidragozin/status/1637727609470566401

saying war bad in Russia is incredibly brave

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

A battalion of men, a brigade of soup

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

NeatHeteroDude posted:

This war is your land. This war is my land. From California, to the New York island. From the slav place, to the other slaaaav place. This land belongs to the USA

This is your brain on American exceptionalism

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

biglads posted:

Hearing reports from seasoned Kremlin watchers that Putins sharts are increasing in both size and frequency.

this ruins the potato

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The Russo-Ukrainian War, which is considered to have started in 2014 when Russia invaded and annexed Crimea and backed separatists in the Donbas.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah, no matter the outcome, that trial won't have an immediate direct impact on Ukraine's ability to push out the Russian invasion.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

dude just wants to get a chance to fly an f16

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1644317637311168513?s=20

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

it always comes back to anime

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

that's a tank fuckling

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Play posted:

Also pretty funny that apparently the enormous US intelligence apparatus was too busy circle jerking itself and needed Bellingcat's help to find this guy.

Bellingcat which effectively started on this very forum, lol that owns

People keep trying to poo poo talk Bellingcat but they keep bringing in results where others fail.

This is not to Bellingcat's credit so much as it is an indictment of everyone else.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

now this is AI-generated content

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

it's not easy being more cringe than brown moses, you have to really work for it

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Roblo posted:

Why is that? more drama brewing?

Someone who used to be a thread regular in previous incarnations of the GBS Ukraine war thread doxxed another poster and was perma'd for it, as doxxing is correctly one of those zero tolerance offenses on these forums.

E: to be honest this isn't really the place for this discussion

Runa fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Apr 17, 2023

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

free hubcaps posted:

It's funny that they specifically included the reference to right wing chauvinistic nationalism, like they need to keep repeating it to themselves to remember that modern russia is not the ussr.

Even moreso when this is something that needs to be shouted across the rooftops on Twitter

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Tai posted:

Cripes some reporters guide got sniped

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-65401492

Russian snipers singled them out because they were wearing markings indicating they were press

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Telsa Cola posted:

Yes, because it's basically a big neon sign to all your possible trade partners that you are not trust worthy enough to make deals with and they would be better off looking elsewhere.

It's own little bubble.

capitalism loves to ignore an atrocity but it won't ignore a financial liability

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

They just hosed it up so badly it was immediately obvious it was just a hit piece, torpedoing their credibility in the process

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

What manner of fool is so unfamiliar with the pussyberg address and so unamerican that they would think it is the work of the Joker?

generation gap

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

in other words, military intelligence

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah he did that decades ago, when they were current events

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

he's been diagnosed with terminal boomer brain, nothing to be done

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Screama posted:

I think depleting the military of someone who they see as their long-time enemy is a significant personal gain. The MIC also will probably come out of this financially better off than they otherwise would have been. I definitely do not think the US has taken any action in Ukraine purely for a reputational boost.

Yeah, probably. Over the past year, Russians have been repeatedly humiliated by the capabilities of US military hardware. To add insult to injury, the American equipment is even considered outdated in its home country.

Every customer who's put an order in for Russian equipment is having serious second thoughts. Meanwhile, US hardware is proven to be horrifically effective against the vehicles and equipment being made by their rivals. And now that various countries in the EU, including the rest of NATO, are spooked by Russian aggression after years of paring down their own military spending and production, the most expedient option available to them is to shore up their own defenses by buying whatever the US is willing to sell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

sebmojo posted:

Zelensky was a tv comedian who got elected as a joke lmao

who knew the joke was on Putin the entire time