Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Icochet posted:

Is it ok to call the russian invaders "droids", as in battle-hardened droid army?

I think we can just call them people instead of calling them robots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Drone_Fragger posted:

Still loling at the time the usa lost a wargame because the guy they put in charge of opfor realised the usa military wouldnt be able to deal with small suicide powerboats or mass cruise missle attacks owing to control issues and sunk like half the us navy by ramming them with suicide powerboats while the limited point defence weapons were trying to shoot down incoming cruise missles.

Anyway, they accused him of cheating and reset the wargame and forced him to run to a script that consisted of stuff like "turn the radar on full blast when you detect enemy aircraft so we can shopt it with anti radiation missles".

This comes up a lot, but the dude did in fact cheat because his plan and strategy relied on physically impossible things like 1. Motorcycle couriers that are invisible and instantly go from A to B, and 2. Mounting ASM missiles on basically inflatable boats that in no way could have actually taken the weight.

When called out on this and basically called a loving idiot for wasting everyones time and money, he went to the media.

It's pretty telling that from what I can tell, he's not looked fondly on by anyone whose done any military wargaming.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 9, 2023

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

spankmeister posted:

Post the list coward

#1 Is the have any grapes duck.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Splitting the skin on a live bear is such a good turn of phrase, holy poo poo.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Recruiting high schoolers in Moscow seems like a bad idea

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Their plane likely did not go down because 1. The USA would be blasting that poo poo from the roof tops if it did. And 2. Because they just clipped the prop which probably did some form of structural damage to whatever clipped it, but it's not like they full body rammed it.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Power Khan posted:

That's a pretty stupid game. Do they feel they're in a position to anger the US now?

While it's a pretty stupid game it kinda happens all the time. Not the downing bit though.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Civilian planes also can dump fuel, depending on the altitude they do it at a lot/most of it evaporates before it hits the ground/ocean. Though idk if that makes it better.

If you do it too low though it hits the ground and there is at least 1 instance where they dumped fuel over a neighboorhood and everyone got sick.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

OTOH Russia's had the artillery advantage almost the whole time, but they seemed to be forced to tone it down recently. And they're throwing more men at fortified positions than before.

It's hard to say, I've seen figures around 100-120k thrown around but Ukraine never released anything officially

As much as any single loss of life is a tragedy, on strategic sense it's just what it is. I don't think the North Vietnamese were going to stop fighting because of their poor k:d ratios.

100-120k is what was recently thrown out by the UK intelligence agencies and if we are going to trust their numbers and whatnot for other stuff there's no reason to not trust that one.*

Ukraine hasn't released any real, significant info on the matter.

*arguably it's more trustworthy then their figures on Russian casualties because they are working with Ukraine so in theory they can cut through some of the bullshit.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Pekinduck posted:

Ah gotcha, American dorms sometimes have workers like that. You get your own keys though, they just try to catch you smoking and drinking. (and don't take bribes :( )

I transfered into the dorms at my 4 year at 21 and there was a floor specifically for transfer students who could and were allowed to drink, which consistently confused our RA (he didn't really care he just kept forgetting that this one floor was different).

I then moved out into the basement room of a frat I was not a member of and in no way was associated with, which was an interesting experience.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

sexy tiger boobs posted:

Pretty sure your "lemur" is a coatimundi, sorry to burst your bubble. It's like a South American raccoon.

Yeah, that's a coati. You get them in the US too. Just in the southwest though.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

zone posted:

90 planes and 60 choppers? that's going to be a tall order to deal with unless quite a few smoking accidents happen at those bases.

In theory Russia has something like 1,500 active mutirole/fighters/ground attack aircraft. Even assuming that a large fraction of those are scrap or whatever that is still franky an absolute insane amount of aircraft.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

Yes I'd guess lots of them aren't functional, many of the remaining are needed to cover the enormous territory of the empire to keep China/Japan away, and the rest haven't been that effective due to heavy AA coverage (outside of launching cruise missiles). So if the front gets close enough to Crimea, I'd expect that they won't be able to do that much either.

That's a ton of assumptions to be making though, and it's not like Russia has shown any fear of China or Japan encroaching on their territory since they have very visbily pulled troops from those "threatened" areas.

The entire area is so saturated with AA that I'm not really sure anybody can really do anything effectively outside maybe getting a couple of rare strikes in.

Edit: like if we say that 2/3rds of those aircraft are scrap, so 1000 aircraft, that still leaves like 500 to throw at poo poo. Ukraine has ~80 with the new deliveries.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Mar 17, 2023

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

Sure they do have many, but all this is based on what they've been doing so far this war. Which is launching cruise missiles from out of range and occasional CAS attempts.

I'm more concerned about actually getting to the point of threatening Crimea than with the peninsula itself.

Yeah, I don't disagree with the fact they are doing that. I just don't see Ukraine not being forced to also act similarly given the AA situation and the fact that it's highly unlikely they will be able to force air superiority.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Der Kyhe posted:

So hypothetically, if Putin were to travel abroad to non-curbstombed vassal state or likeminded dictatorship, would he be wanted criminal or head of state with diplomatic immunity?

Russia isn't ICC member so they won't be giving a gently caress even after Putin retires or "retires" to live in the farm upstate.

In theory he would have diplomatic immunity.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Rust Martialis posted:

I should point out that violations of such peremptory norms of international law are crimes of *universal* jurisdiction. And that any treaty clause in violation of jus cogens is invalid.

I have absolutely zero idea, it may be yesterday, so this isnt a gotcha, but whens the last time we actually applied/arrested someone like that.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

Couldn't it just spill out from a truck? I know the they're monsters but surely it's better to sell the stolen grain for vodka than dump it.

I mean unless anyone has any actual evidence to the contrary, yeah, probably.

Also while I'm kinda on the point unless someone actually has the numbers to compare it to, there's little reason to believe that the vast majority of fires being tweeted about in Russia aren't just like, the normal amount that are suddenly being reported way more on Twitter as acts of sabotage or whatever because people are hyperaware/paranoid and keeping and eye out for that kinda stuff way more.

Some might be sabotage though.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Mar 19, 2023

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Mr. Sunshine posted:

Brexit is an unfathomably massive national self-own, but even that has yet to kill 200.000 brits.

This is some "Italy in WWII" level fuckup.

Casualties do not equal deaths my guys, even if news stations consistently either gently caress that up or lie about it.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

I wonder how much the camo net is going to do against thermals (which admittedly not all drones have). I have some net and checked it on on the balcony, my leg can pretty easily bee seen behind it

:negative:

Yes, a hose full of horse cum

Any bit of obscuriation is good, people are not going to be 100% on point all the time so if you can be behind cover of some kind that hides you even slightly you are improving your chances.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Captain Fargle posted:

Has there actually been a meaningful uptick in "smoking accidents" in Russia since the war started or is it just confirmation bias and a lack of proper safety standards?

If someone has posted before war/after war numbers of fires happening in Russia I have not seen it. I'm fairly confident that 99% of them are just normal poo poo that is getting reported as war time acts of sabatoge because I feel like the US/UK/other folks would be stating in their briefings if they thought otherwise.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Nooner posted:

Is Sweden already gotten the go ahead for NATO? I thought they and finland were doing a both or neither thing and turkey was saying no way Jose to sweden

Fairly certain that everyone quickly realized that was dumb and hoped everyone would forget

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Philonius posted:

Why do we even have a UN security council? It can only act against countries that are

A) Not a permanent member of the UN security council
B) Not friends with a permanent member of the UN security council

That doesn't leave much in the way of threats against world peace. Just dispense with the theatre, noone ought to be fooled by the thin veneer of legitimacy.

Nukes and WW3

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Zippy the Bummer posted:

why are they doing that beach stuff? if it is makework to show superiors/someone up the chain that "something" is being done, is that meant to be passable work? someone must be looking at it and saying "yes, good". who would that someone be and why

Did not watch the video and did not serve in a military but basically every military is famous for having people do absolutely bullshit makework to kill time, so it could easily be that.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

HonorableTB posted:

Remember the Russian aircraft that mistakenly fired a missile at a British plane?

LOL the pilot misinterpreted what the radar operators told him and thought he had permission to fire. The only reason it didn't start World War 3 is because the loving missile malfunctioned and failed to launch properly. Jesus loving christ we got saved by the same russian corruption and incompetence that threatened us in the first place lmao

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1646298946552352768?s=20

I've also called you out in the DnD thread but just to be clear to people who don't know this kinda stuff the UK would almost certainly not start WW3 over a spy plane being shot down, which is a thing that happens all the loving time, and would either use it as an excuse to send more poo poo or just use it to wallop Russia in the diplomatic sphere.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

HonorableTB posted:

Manned spy planes with more than two dozen crew get shot down all the time

30 people is not even a factor in considering poo poo if you are discussing a Nato member and/or nuclear armed power entering war with another one.

If they kept doing it, maybe. But a one off is going to get descalated and ignored because no one wants to push the button because a spy plane got shot down.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Burns posted:

People have gone to war over much much less buckaroo.

Yes, but I'm willing to bet that in many of those cases they were already chomping at the bit to go and just needed a passable reason.

Do you think the UK is just raring to go send troops to fight Russia in Ukraine?

bob dobbs is dead posted:

the only coherent individual vehicle that if you blew it up would unquestionably be casus belli for ww3 is an aircraft carrier

Presidential/Country Leader personal vehicles, maybe.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Jonny Nox posted:

Russia has already shot down an airliner full of civilians during this invasion. Sinking the Lusitania is only an issue when someone wants it to be an issue.

They also shot at merchant ships, iirc.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

HonorableTB posted:

I'm not saying shooting down the airplane directly goes from shoot plane -> nukes. There would be many steps of further escalation in between but the act itself of deliberately targeting and shooting down a NATO military plane would be the catalyst needed to make those escalation steps not just possible but likely. That would demand a response of some kind.

Your own post and the NYT article points out it was a pilot gently caress up and not an overall standing order engage Nato planes.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

So hey remember those Finnish morons who got charged with doing some light treason for Russia's benefit? And how before getting in bed with Putin's PR trumpet they were really into "the tunnel war"? Well, a friend looked into it and this is literally what it's about :

These are the guys carrying water for Putin and his illegal war. Just the finest people. The best guys.

E: remarkable how the world's most immense piss babies, like Putin, Trump and Jinping, are always the hidden super heroes in these assholes' fantasies.

This is literally the plot of a series of books.

Edit: It's the Descent series by Jeff Long.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 15, 2023

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

armpit_enjoyer posted:

Today I learned that kidnapping children is listed in the Genocide Convention as an act of genocide. Like, no poo poo, right? I never bothered to read the thing until today.

Were there ever any prosecutions litigated over this particular point?

It's possible that Native American groups also litigated over that point given the forced boarding school system.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

orange juche posted:

Was Willo567 afraid that their balls were going to be the target for a Tactical Nuclear Weapon?

They already were, last Tuesday. The concern was a second strike this upcoming Tuesday

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

OctaMurk posted:

They invaded a nation and broke a whole bunch of treaties and ate a million sanctions. Breaking a contract in a time of special military operation is really that big of a deal??

Yes, because it's basically a big neon sign to all your possible trade partners that you are not trust worthy enough to make deals with and they would be better off looking elsewhere.

It's own little bubble.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Prettz posted:

where are they coming up with these absolutely comical dead numbers?

Classified intel it looks like.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Edit: lol nvm

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Shoulda refreshed!

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

There are a lot of old, old stories/myths of apes being rapey and abducting woman so its probably a call out to that.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

XYZAB posted:

that's the power of JESUS :angel:

edit: if you can believe that a white dude in israel turned water into wine and sand into fish 2000 years ago and then came back to life after he was publicly executed or whatever the gently caress, your brain is already primed to believe the dumbest grifter poo poo anyone can throw at you. this is the common thread that binds them: blind faith. if you're looking for a cultural event that happened to make both sides' chuds think so much alike, you'll want to investigate the possibility that Jesus was a psyop invented by the Roman heads of state to control the uppity jewish population by replacing them with a docile idiot population. somewhere along the line it got a little bit out of control, and all bets have been off ever since. thanks for coming to my ted talk.

edit 2: look at me i'm in an anime avatar sandwich

Rome was pretty not okay with the whole Christianity thing at first so the whole it was a roman goverment conspiracy is pretty insane.

Also it's 2023, while super religious crazy people are cringe in close second is internet atheists.

Thanks for listening to my Tedx talk

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Molothecat posted:

when do we get back into Russian wildfire season?

I don't know how the weather system works in Russia but typically peak summer when the fuels have had time to grow then dry out, or whenever they have somewhat frequent lightening storms.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

This constant back and forth about the right to use slurs and the right to dehumanize and make broad generalizations about large groups of people based on ethnicity or nationality because of *insert world event here* has been hilariously fun to read as a minority.

Actually, wait, no it loving sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

HonorableTB posted:

the complaint is russia is getting its poo poo kicked in and they dont like it

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2023/05/29/two-weeks-at-the-front-in-ukraine

Two Weeks at the Front in Ukraine, a good article.

No, the complaint is that posters in this thread have posted extremely heinous takes and a slurs, and their defense for doing so basically boils down to combination of they started it, its not really a real slur, man, or some other stupid bullshit.

That post in particular wasn't the worst one, but I'm just loving of tired seeing poo poo like that because it's 100% the type of language that gets leveraged at minorities.