Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Pander posted:

They didn't want to be there, raping and looting and murdering civilians. They were FORCED to. So have some empathy!

I can't believe America forced innocent Russian soldiers to do this...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

FirstnameLastname posted:

the russian conscripts are largely, at the individual level, victims of the russian state's aggression about as much as the ukranian conscripts and civilians ar

This is an insane comparison and I really hope going "invaders deserve as much sympathy as the people being invaded" doesn't become a vibe in this thread, Jesus gently caress. I don't want goreposting, I don't want people making cringe posts about how rad it is to see people die, but this kind of poo poo swings WAY too far in the opposite direction.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Deteriorata posted:

I don't want them to die, I want them to go home. That's the only "no one dies" option.

If they won't go home, then I would prefer that the Russians die instead of the Ukrainians.

This.

I understand what you are saying FirstnameLastname but I'm not really sorry if I lack sympathy for individual elements of an invading imperial aggressor. I don't see the need to spend much time splitting hairs over individual levels of culpability for an invading force already guilty of war crimes against civilians.

Also you can't tell me "that's not what i said :|", you quite literally typed the words "the russian conscripts are largely, at the individual level, victims of the russian state's aggression about as much as the ukranian conscripts and civilians are" and then went on use WWII as an example of "no such thing as good guys vs bad guys". Like, if your point was "no such thing as people without blood on their hands in war", sure, but you picked WWII... The firebombings of Dresden and Tokyo were warcrimes, but labeling a reactive war fought against fascism as morally grey is a huge loving stretch and I think it does a disservice to your point, as does, again, literally saying russian conscripts are as much victims of the Russian state as Ukrainian civilians.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Futanari Damacy posted:

If we're to be successful with this, one thing that has to stop is the false equivalencies. They're a huge red flag for a number of reasons.

We are to infer from this statement that because the Russian army = Wehrmacht, that Putin = Hitler, Russia = Nazi Germany, and so forth ad nauseum. The purpose of using such equivalency is to get other people frothing at the mouth, because everyone correctly agrees that Nazis = poo poo. But all it does is trivialize the horrors of the Second World War. We've heard it every time America has an enemy- Saddam is worse than Hitler, Gaddafi is worse than Hitler, Maduro (lol) is worse than Hitler, and on and on and on. To those of us whom that war actually has meaning beyond video games, they are not the meaningful comparisons that the people blithely making them think they are.

If you want to know who the Nazis are, they will gladly tell you. Heck, they have a whole pantheon of symbols that they've stolen from various non-poo poo belief systems and permanently corrupted the meaning of. For those wanting to get a better sense of how to identify a real neo-Nazi, here's a good resource to get started: https://www.adl.org/resources/hate-symbols/search?f%5B0%5D=topic%3A1705

This post is already getting dunked on for the obvious thing but I don't want to let it get lost in the mix that the chain of quotes here was someone making an honest if clumsy post about how there should be sympathy for individual soldiers even on the Russian side while in the same post giving as an example of the same principle World War 2.

de_dust's point that Futanari Damacy quoted wasn't simply "Russia = Wehrmacht", it was a very specific callback to the myth of the clean Wehrmacht and how the post that started this unintentionally mirrored it when it removed the clear moral dimension from World War 2.

KazigluBey fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Mar 6, 2023

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Futanari Damacy posted:

Oh no... anything but that! :ohdear:

Good job quoting the one bit that sounds vaguely OK out of context from the article that tries to Blood & Soil Ukraine but did so in such a triumphant tone two days into the war just as the poo poo hit the fan wrt how hard fought it would be that they pulled it. “The resolution of the Ukraine question.” is the name of the article. lol

quote:

“Russia is restoring its historic unity: the tragedy of 1991, that terrible catastrophe of our history, that unnatural aberration, has been overcome.”

This is from the same article, the assumption being that the article would be published once the strikes against Kiev decapitated the government and the whole country collapsed. lol, yeah, great article.

quote:

But there will now no longer be a Ukraine which is anti-Russia.”

Hmm not too sure about this one, tovarich.

KazigluBey fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Mar 6, 2023

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1633810221054279680

Shoigu, see how effective my terror attacks were on the Ukrainians, I remain a master strategist, ook.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Toxic Mental posted:

6. No more reddit-style content garbage. NAFO poo poo and the like is generally cringey and it's just boring white noise. Things that make light of the extremely serious nature of this conflict aren't going to be allowed. Putin Monkey is still okay though, as it was valid before this war even started.

????

I mean, it's going to run out naturally and who cares about what's effectively a 6er at this point, but could it be clarified if Putin monkee is now probatable or not?

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Slugworth posted:

....... I was responding to a guy who was arguing that the us invasion of Iraq was less evil than the Russian invasion.

I mean, is it worth it to waste your time responding to a post like that? Both things are bad and trying to determine which is "worse" or "more evil" based on a duel between casualties and broader impact seems... Idk, cringe?

"More people died in X (concluded) war, but in Y (ongoing) war the goals are more insidious." seems like really tiresome, pointless poo poo to me.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

The Vietnamese did not have to do a single thing to the main-land US in order to win. Russia is losing men and material daily while support for Ukraine is steady. Why would Ukraine jeopardize that with a land-invasion of Russia? Like, it's one thing to argue that if Russia starts really going crazy with ammo/fuel dumps riiiiight close to the border which are contributing to logistics that they can be seen as legitimate targets and quite another to start fantasizing about Ukraine somehow managing to threaten/control a territory even a third the size of Russia's.

This entire line of argument feels very fever-dream Clancy-chat-esque.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Tarquinn posted:

☝🏻

Yes this.

If you care about forums drama, please go to SAD.
I know that I sound like a broken record. Apologies.

Considering that people are catching strays and being called Pedo-adjacent for posting itt (along with the usual framing that this thread is nothing but wall to wall untagged auto-playing gore) idk if it's great advice to suggest people go participate in what's happening in SAD.

I am not adding to the discussion itself here, I'm commenting on this being the second prompt itt suggesting people go post in SAD like it's something casual, and I don't think that's good advice unless people know what they are getting themselves into.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Philonius posted:

Sorry mods, but this thing is an orc.

(if true)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

gently caress off with this kind of post.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

thekeeshman posted:

Speaking of bad takes from the BRICS, Lula has joined many of his fellow "leftists" in gargling Putin's balls

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-65307553

Lula is less pro-Putin than he is anti-NATO, and I think everyone should be able to realize why a leftist leader in South America that had to directly deal with far-right bullshit that either had direct or tacit backing of the USA might be a little inclined to say the things Lula says. That's before you even factor in the broader history of the USA's direct involvement with South America. I am not saying he's right, I'm saying he at least has some reason that explains it beyond the usual tankie nonsense from Euros or Americans.

Like, the above was his position all the way until just a day ago or so, and was getting a lot of press in Portugal due to the run-up of Lula's visit to Lisbon for the anniversary of the Carnation Revolution that overthrew Salazar. Yesterday however he stated that he "condemns the violation of Ukraine's territorial integrity" in unambiguous terms even if his position is still "negotiated settlement, as soon as possible". This marks a big pullback in his statements and I think it should be highlighted.

https://www.dn.pt/internacional/apos-criticas-lula-condena-violacao-da-integridade-territorial-da-ucrania-16201008.html Source is in Portuguese, I can translate anything else in the article if anyone is curious.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

My understanding of AI is that their coverage of Israel/Palestine is pretty good? Correct me if I'm wrong.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

I take it they were crashing a Ukrainian event in that park? Security seemed kinda' on the ball but a lot of the stuff caught on camera in those clips seems to have not had a response from them.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Bertha the Toaster posted:

The writing on ammunition thing is weird. Also, weren't they banned from being posted in the thread?

Yes, yes they were.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Antigravitas posted:

Do people think the UN is a world government of some sort?

Yes. A UN-led coup leading to the One World Government is a classic modern American conspiracy theory.

Blue Helmets! Black Helicopters! FEMA Death-Camps!

Tai posted:

Would be pretty good if the idea of permanent members was scrapped tbh. Being able to block everyone with a veto only a few countries have is pretty poo poo. I'm sure countries like Palestine would like this a lot.

This kills the UN. The security council, permanent seats and the veto power afforded to them is the only reason the UN lives while the League of Nations died.

I don't think Palestine benefits particularly much from that happening. Not saying it would hurt them more than they already are hurting, but who knows.

KazigluBey fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jun 7, 2023

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

stephenthinkpad posted:

Just randomly think of this, was blowing up Dugin's daughter Ukraine's dumbest plot to drag NATO into war?

Why didn't they blow up Putin's daughter or lover or something?

Big if true

Hey guys just randomly had a thought but what if Euro Maidan was a secret decades-long NATO plot to get Putin to poo poo his pants? Likely?

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Whoops, meant to post it in the thread where everyone would sensibly chuckle instead of clowning on me, my bad.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Tiny Timbs posted:

What do people think NATO even is lol

Satan, but for ostensibly left-presenting folks online.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Aesop Poprock posted:

"pro-Europeanism" on zelenskys party site yeah I'm sure that's not a Nazi thing

It's a Globe-Emoji Lib thing.

Aesop Poprock posted:

Nah I'll admit I hosed up on that one but I was trying really hard. I've posted multiple times that if I'm wrong about this I'm wrong

Yeah you're a loving moron.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

The war is cringe.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

The cathedral they hit was the Transfiguration Cathedral, founded in 1794.

РОССИЯ is truly the world's greatest defender of trad-Orthodox values.

e.: "Fun" detail - the original cathedral was demolished by the Soviets in 1936, rebuilt only in 1999. Man I can't put my finger on why the Eastern Euros keep being so hostile towards Russia...

KazigluBey fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jul 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Autisanal Cheese posted:

Jesus Christ well that settles it then

This has happened already itt before. Willo is now a source of calm and reason. We should give his balls a rest.