Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

shadow puppet of a posted:

Gonna call him PoochPooch instead.

"PoochPooch was defenestrated on the way back to his home oblast."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

Assume it's suddenly being brought up because of this BBC article from 28 Feb about the need for a squirrel cull.

quote:

A wildlife project wants to reintroduce native red squirrels and humanely cull the non-native grey squirrel.

The Exmoor Squirrel Project is asking landowners to set live traps and restaurants to serve grey squirrel.

quote:

"The red is our native squirrel and in Great Britain it's down to an estimated 120,000 for reds in comparison to now an estimated three million invasive greys."

Ms Hosegood said the organisation would also like to encourage the use of grey squirrels on menus to limit waste.

"We're going to introduce them to restaurants in the Exmoor area because they actually make for good eating," she said.

"There's no waste there. They'll be put to some good use instead of being put in a hole in the ground."

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

that dirt fire drill just sums up the whole thing

I expected to see a shovel used, entrenching tool, a helmet, something? No, just trying to pass handfuls of soil to the guy up top

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
So now "Russia claims the U.S. is behind the alleged Ukrainian drone attack on the Kremlin" - not that the US did it but that it masterminded the attack because

Dimitry Peskov posted:

“Kyiv only does what it is told to do.”

quote:

A Russian investigation into the incident is ongoing, he said, adding that Moscow’s response would involve “thoughtful, balanced and appropriate steps in the interests of our country,” without specifying what they might be.

quote:

Asked how Putin reacted when told of the alleged attack, Peskov said that the Russian leader “always remains calm, collected, clear in the assessments and commands that he gives out in extreme situations.”

"... And he definitely didn't poo poo himself when he heard about it. No questions."

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

Grape posted:

That's the Nosferatu looking little freak right?

fat Count Orlok

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

weg posted:

They will claim that actually we meant to do this all along as Bakhmut had a Sims 3 factory and was a hotbed of Ukronazi militants.

We need a W Bush "mission accomplished" banner pic but with Russian characteristics.

Edit: maybe just faceswap Bush for Putin and add a shitload of diesel smoke everywhere.

late as I'm catching up on the thread, but here

quote:

Simonyan: can you turn off the engines, the smoke is ruining our footage
Captain of Kuznetsov: we turned them off hours ago
[awkward silence]
Simonyan: oh blyat

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

PIZZA.BAT posted:

a few years ago i joked with some friends about a big dog meme where it growls, 'listen here millenial, pinups ARE hentai'

and now it's real

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

Lammasu posted:

Let's back up a minuet. What kind of warlocks? Are we using expansions or just the Player's Handbook.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

Mulva posted:

RIP Julian Sands, you were a real one.

RIP also to anyone learning this here of all places

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

Thanks again for posting these translations, I appreciate seeing the news from a Finnish perspective, and sometimes it's something I haven't seen discussed in my usual reading :cheersbird:

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

What do you think Putin's favorite Mudvayne song is?

Poop Loser

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
"I turned myself into a pickle, Морти! I'm a pickle! I'm Маринованный Ги́ркин!"

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

Ass_Burgerer posted:

UUUuuugh.. Ok.

Finally looked it up, the limits are: 30kB max, up to 90x25px

The gif I was working with was 4 pixels too tall, so I had to take some more liberties and squish stuff down.

Here's the final, FINAL smilie: BEHOLD:

:yeshaha:

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

Kennedy posted:

Amazing work. I can't believe you recruited Rambo too.

Putin wants to take up the mantle of the Soviet Union, he can inherit Soviet problems too :shrug:

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

Coolguye posted:

they've got a decades long habit of exploding into treats every time someone even considers putting AMM systems closer to their borders.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
It's very early and I read the original tweet as "building a tunnel from Russia to China that the Ukrainians can't strike" and was like man

if you're worried about them hitting your infrastructure all the way over there now, just admit you've lost and leave already lol

:morning:

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

DandyLion posted:

Russian massed naval landing is more likely to end up on the moon than on the shores of the Americas.

first the beaches of Alaska, and then, seconds later, turret by turret, the stars!

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
Anyway the humor doesn't appear to be diminishing the effects of the indirect fire, so there's no real reason to stop it either Pudin shids hibmself :DDDDD

edit:

Strategic Tea posted:

You know if the entire current opposition party of the US was arrested tomorrow, it would actually be a great benefit to both US and Ukrainian democracy :thunk:

excellent post/avatar combo

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
gesundheit

e .

HonorableTB posted:

If you want an idea of how godawful it's going to be to demine Ukraine after the war, I'm reading a book right now on the cleaning up and demining of battlefields

Here's a quote from the author talking to some ordnance disposal engineers in France over lunch at a Cafe after having gone on the morning shift of clearing unexploded WW1 ordnance in the Verdun area

They were finding shells from 1870 in 1998, so... Scale that up to Ukraine now.

Also, drat. The absolute brass ones on UXO disposal units :stare:

E: jfc this is the first ten pages of the book so that really sets the tone..

Thanks for this, I've just put it on my to read list.

Lord Awkward fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Dec 5, 2023

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

CODEC: "CYKA SNAKE THEY WERE SHOT DOWN BY A HIND D"

CYKA SNAKE sits in the box instead of under it; the box has Z spray painted half-assedly on all sides

also the box is from toilet packaging

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

Lol Girkin's apparently going to try to run for president from prison :lmao:
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...w/106254277.cms

lol

I wonder how many 'errors' they'll find in his paperwork? 100 again? more? fewer?

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
From the other Ukraine thread in Internet VFW:

PurpleXVI posted:

https://twitter.com/DefenceU/status/1740673472223666454

quote:

This morning, russia carried out the most massive air attack since the beginning of the full-scale invasion.

The occupiers used a variety of types of ballistic missiles, air-launched cruise missiles, and Shahed UAVs to target civilian targets. A total of 158 missiles and UAVs were fired against Ukraine; 87 missiles and 27 Shaheds were shot down by Ukrainian air defense.

russia hit residential buildings, hospitals, schools, and shopping malls around the country.

Largest missile attack wave of the war, about 2/3rds were blasted out of the sky and they were apparently all aimed at civilian targets.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Yeah, if this doesn't finish with Putin hanging off a rope or locked in a tiny cell for the rest of his miserable life, the world has failed Ukraine.

I would be also fine with a tiny cell hanging from a rope, for preference over fresh lava or similar

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
And lo, the writing on the wall was unveiled, and upon the wall was written Putin khuylo

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

Dwesa posted:

allegedly the drone workshop is burning

they can just buy Chinese again
(quote from IVFW/GIP current events thread)

golden bubble posted:

https://twitter.com/clashreport/status/1747295538343547231

If you go on Alibaba, it's blindingly clear that this gasoline powered fixed wing drone with a 50 kg payload is a Shahed 136 clone. This isn't a world where Iran has long ranged strike capabilities. It's a world where anyone can buy long ranged strike capabilities from shady Chinese venders online at the low low prices of $57k a pop.

Oh, and the same company also sells anti-drone jamming guns.

https://twitter.com/MerruX/status/1747296854524539352

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
Just a whole bunch of

candy

for birthday purposes or something

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1747608319626269005#m

Then the solution is the demilitarization and if necessary, balkanization of Russia.

"The only solution to my rabid dog is to turn over your house to me" -- the nextdoor rabid-dog-owning neighbor

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
👤iamblyatman Verified Purchase
⭐⬛⬛⬛⬛
arrived late
ordered 5, took two months for delivery and were missing propellers, commander got sent to gulag
would not buy from again

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

One simple trick that Putin hates!

Shoulda lined the border with them back in 2013, we could have avoided all this

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
Alexei Navalny had information that would lead to the arrest of Hillary Clinton

e.

mobby_6kl posted:

Speaking of Navalny, guess who has some thoughts on that

I wonder how he'll have to pivot now tat Navalny==Trump

"-and so is your argument that President Biden's leadership is insufficient because, among other reasons, you and Mr Trump are still alive?"

"Yes, exactl- wait. No, hold on."

Lord Awkward fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 16, 2024

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
Gonna put my money on "placed aboard the remaining landing craft with guns facing outboard in an effort to focus more firepower on Ukrainian naval drones"

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

quote:

"...some unknown weapon. It was most likely not a Patriot, but something more serious."

What are they even imagining, I'd think Patriots were a serious enough threat. I guess their own air defense would be more so, but he denies that first off...

ok guys, you got us, we didn't actually scrap that 747 with the megawatt laser after all, we were saving it just in case and now Ukraine has it.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

Vengarr posted:

Because if the Ukrainians didn’t deploy a top-secret long-range AWACS killer, then it means that Russia hosed up. Either they got too close to a ground-based SAM (lol), they shot down their own AWACS (lmao), or they let a Ukrainian plane fly up and shoot them down unchallenged (the funniest possible answer).

But Russia would never gently caress up, so…

flew too low over the sea and some naval drone controllers saw a chance to become legends

fair points

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

DiomedesGodshill posted:

How?

Then again it is Russia. :blyat:

Ramped a leftover drone off the deck of the patrol ship as it sank? :coolfish:

e.

oh well

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
ugh, repainting all the warlock towers and death stars is going to take forever though

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

Lammasu posted:

Warlocks don't use magic to paint their towers?

a waste of valuable time and magic that could be spent reaching out and hexing A-50s and SU-34s

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

beer_war posted:

Welcome to NATO, :sweden:

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
lol if you thought the warlock towers were just for show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1770380724589285699
WTF the milbloggers said that they all died six times, NATO black magic must be bringing them back repeatedly :rolleye: