Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

what in the WORLD :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

warhammer will keep me alive in my twilight years

even people who just want to paint warhams for players is a viable hobby

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

warhammer will keep me alive in my twilight years

all the younger generations having long since moved on to mobile games, the few remaining local game stores will be filled with 70 year-olds playing 40K and MTG

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

I have no debt. I have no kids. My partner and I are gainfully employed full time.

And I'm still looking at the insane rents like they're the Sword of Damocles. I can foresee all my savings being eaten up just for the privilege of living indoors.

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

does live comfortably include 50k/year private school for two kids or something?

e: is there like a discount for sending multiple kids to the same private school? maybe a two for one special?

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

blue squares posted:

meanwhile, people on C-SPAM have never been more upbeat about the world!
we love complaints, we collect and get together to trade them

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

I will never be comfortable until my children are Etonians.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

quote:

Top 10 Cities With the Lowest Salaries Needed to Live Comfortably
1. Houston, Texas
Hourly wage needed for a single adult: $36.10
Annual salary needed for a single adult to live comfortably: $75,088
Combined salaries for two working adults with two children needed: $175,219

2. El Paso, Texas
Hourly wage needed for a single adult: $36.18
Annual salary needed for a single adult to live comfortably: $75,254
Combined salaries for two working adults with two children needed: $180,461

3. Lubbock, Texas
Hourly wage needed for a single adult: $36.24
Annual salary needed for a single adult to live comfortably: $75,379
Combined salaries for two working adults with two children needed: $181,043

4. Toledo, Ohio
Hourly wage needed for a single adult: $37.26
Annual salary needed for a single adult to live comfortably: $77,501
Combined salaries for two working adults with two children needed: $208,416

5. Laredo, Texas
Hourly wage needed for a single adult: $37.72
Annual salary needed for a single adult to live comfortably: $78,458
Combined salaries for two working adults with two children needed: $179,046

6. Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Hourly wage needed for a single adult: $38.30
Annual salary needed for a single adult to live comfortably: $79,664
Combined salaries for two working adults with two children needed: $237,952

7. Lexington, Kentucky
Hourly wage needed for a single adult: $38.46
Annual salary needed for a single adult to live comfortably: $79,997
Combined salaries for two working adults with two children needed: $196,102

8. Tulsa, Oklahoma
Hourly wage needed for a single adult: $38.98
Annual salary needed for a single adult to live comfortably: $81,078
Combined salaries for two working adults with two children needed: $199,430

9. Wichita, Kansas
Hourly wage needed for a single adult: $39.04
Annual salary needed for a single adult to live comfortably: $81,203
Combined salaries for two working adults with two children needed: $186,784

10. Cleveland, Ohio
Hourly wage needed for a single adult: $39.32
Annual salary needed for a single adult to live comfortably: $81,786
Combined salaries for two working adults with two children needed: $217,984

just kill me instead

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

I think a factor in hobbytalk no one has mentioned yet is that a lot of hobbies require other people to enjoy and lol at trying to get even 3-4 adults in a room someplace consistently if they're not getting paid.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

quote:

It takes the most money to live comfortably as a single person in New York City. This breaks down to $66.62 in hourly wages, or an annual salary of $138,570. To cover necessities as a single person in New York City, you’ll need an estimated $70,000 in wages.

It is also 170k+ between 2 earners to raise a family. I don't know how people do it.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 21:29 on Mar 28, 2024

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

Nitevision posted:

I wish I could be taken seriously based on saying stuff like "People are wanting more dollars in 2024 due to the Dollar Phenomenon"

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Y MILLENIL NO BABBY

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Maed posted:

does live comfortably include 50k/year private school for two kids or something?

e: is there like a discount for sending multiple kids to the same private school? maybe a two for one special?

I think they usually give a modest discount for younger siblings after the eldest enrolls.

Retromancer posted:

I think a factor in hobbytalk no one has mentioned yet is that a lot of hobbies require other people to enjoy and lol at trying to get even 3-4 adults in a room someplace consistently if they're not getting paid.

eh, I think us olds enjoy socializing with others enough that you don't need a hobby to do it; my friends & I kept ourselves from going insane during covid by having weekly get-togethers in the park, even when it was snowing & 30F.

maybe it's different for those millies who tend to be less social & less socialized, but going by the teeners I see hanging in the park to get high just as their foremothers did 50 years ago I don't think it's true for zoomers.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

euphronius posted:

those are all
good also : yoga and meditation and cooking good food and loving people

:hmmyes:

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/status/1773446817348206796

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Willa Rogers posted:

maybe it's different for those millies who tend to be less social & less socialized, but going by the teeners I see hanging in the park to get high just as their foremothers did 50 years ago I don't think it's true for zoomers.

we like to sit at computer

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

covid, is officially over.........

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Business Gorillas posted:

Here are some hobbies that everyone should consider:

- gardening
- learning a new language
- weightlifting
- going on walks in nature

I picked up gardening and weightlifting after new years and they are both fun and good

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

AARD VARKMAN posted:

we like to sit at computer

I was gonna say something about one's formative years being spent hurling swears at fellow online gamers but I took it out, lol.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

genericnick posted:

you can lift weights while watching tv even

I'm on a stationary bike watching TV right now, op

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

It sounds like a cliché about old people but I know a lot who love to do jigsaw puzzles, and they always have to have a few around that they haven't done yet.

I'd prolly do that while listening to podcasts or something but I don't have the room to set up a dedicated card table.

Dollar Tree sells 100-500 piece puzzles for $1.25, so think about getting some for the unhappy olds in your lives.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

lmfao at Tesla making GBS threads itself to death.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Get your dog certified as a support dog and go to long term care facilities.

Even the most progressive cognitive impairment is helpless in the face of Addie. I love watching people with dementias faces light up when they see her.

https://x.com/formerlyfiz/status/1737517057674023294?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Majorian posted:

lmfao at Tesla making GBS threads itself to death.

Just $140 billion more in lost valuation and it will only be "worth" as much as Toyota

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Vox Nihili posted:

Just $140 billion more in lost valuation and it will only be "worth" as much as Toyota

Don't worry, it's a-comin':

Tesla's Q1 earnings set to be 'a bad one': Analyst

quote:

Ives anticipates Tesla's first quarter performance to be "a nightmare on Elm Street," with demand slowing both domestically and internationally. Despite the disappointing expectations, "the growth story is still there," he says.

Ives highlights the ongoing price war in China's electric vehicle market and emphasizes that while Wall Street acknowledges this challenge, Tesla needs to "draw a line in the sand." He believes the company must reevaluate its China strategy to improve margins amid the rapidly evolving technology landscape in the country, stating, "It's a defining chapter in the Tesla story."

I've never rooted harder for China in my life. (and I root for China not-infrequently)

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Mad Wack posted:

my wife's grandma is in therapy for feeling depressed and the therapist suggested helping out in the community by volunteering instead of watching daytime tv all day every day. she fired him for suggesting it.

lol

khazar sansculotte
May 14, 2004

[Doomsday Economics] Despite the disappointing expectations, "the growth story is still there,"

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

look at all these lucky duckies who retired early bc of domestic violence, job loss, disease & disability, and taking care of their spouses & elders.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Americans just don't want to work anymore.:shrug:

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 22 days!)

https://twitter.com/byHeatherLong/status/1773374061931835793

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

khazar sansculotte posted:

[Doomsday Economics] Despite the disappointing expectations, "the growth story is still there,"

that's exactly what I tell the ladies

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Maed posted:

:goonsay:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Maed posted:

If your kids are under kindergarten age and both parents work then you are essentially obligated to send them to an expensive "private school" sometimes called "daycare"

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Inflation is going back up though

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 22 days!)

err posted:

Inflation is going back up though

yea the upcoming few readings will be juicy

imo summer is gonna be pretty rough

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

imo summer is gonna be pretty rough

doomer

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Yeah, go back to your headquarters in Beijing!

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Vox Nihili posted:

all the younger generations having long since moved on to mobile games, the few remaining local game stores will be filled with 70 year-olds playing 40K and MTG

The last steam user who spends their final moments on earth finally playing through their steam collection.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Mad Wack posted:

my wife's grandma is in therapy for feeling depressed and the therapist suggested helping out in the community by volunteering instead of watching daytime tv all day every day. she fired him for suggesting it.

This is art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Plamondon worked at a tech firm, specializing in helping other tech companies build relationships with Microsoft, where he’d previously worked. He earned stellar reviews.

lol this isn't a job