Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

snype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Malloc Voidstar posted:

why does texas have so many loving bridges?

so cars can drive over the boats going to and from the large ports texas is known for

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Excellent news run this thing into the ground and scatter all the psychos to the wind

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Every single social networking site is desperately chasing whatever the current high growth site is instead of just getting better at the unique niche thier specific site is in and the result is they all die because people join and go to that site for that niche.

Like gently caress you Snapchat you are to share funny pictures and throwaway comments with my friends stop trying to trick me in to sharing everything publicly. gently caress you Facebook stop shoving reels down my throat and making it impossible to block the groups you constantly suggest. gently caress you linked in you are a resume site don’t try and make me make posts. And so on.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Trump can host a celebration for the new bridge

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

I can't wait for the next installment of "Building Your Brand Online" at the company retreat to be forcing us to make work-related tiktoks for linkedin

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Number higher than thought!
https://twitter.com/FirstSquawk/status/1773326913399849020?t=b9bah1WY2sP79SCAkYs11g&s=19

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Ammanas posted:

i mean I doubt thats true but its very common for men to retire and die soon after, its an interesting correlation between losing purpose and meaning (insanely sad), lacking structure to prevent turning into an unmoving potato/indulging in bad habits and retiring only when they're literally unable to keep working.

I'm sure there's more to the story re: people who die a week later, sounds like a forced retirement for health reasons, but the general situation where people are so boring that they never recover from retiring is real, and horrifying.

A lot of people are just so owned, and so lame, that when they stop receiving their Life Marching Orders via the two ways that happens (work and children) these people realize they are the universe's equivalent to a cup of stale coffee and haven't had an original or interesting thought of their own volition for 40 years because they've just been doing what they are forced to do and nothing else.

Don't let things you Must do, become the only thing you Actually do. It happens to so, so many people. Life is so full of wonder and lols, the fact that so many people seem completely unable to interact with it unless they are forced to. It's so sad.

Grow up, work a lovely job, have kids, retire and wait to die. Awesome work everyone

Taima has issued a correction as of 15:32 on Mar 28, 2024

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

My father in law is going through that right now, retired four or five years ago and he’s become a ghost of himself. Used to talk about the little carpentry projects he was going to work on, now he just sits in the living room and stares at the TV all day.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

The common sentiment for the bridge I'm seeing is people are getting "angry" that Biden is saying the government will pay to fix it but that is MY tax dollars and I think the insurance should pay for it.

That is right, but also the bridge needs to be rebuilt immediately and not tied up in court battles over insurance money.

What I am seeing is people getting really angry about it because it could somehow make Biden look bad that a bridge fell down, so they are furiously telling people that NO BRIDGE could EVER survive the collision, lest anyone think that the bridge collapsing (or not being protected by the use of barriers) reflects badly upon Biden

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Malloc Voidstar posted:

why does texas have so many loving bridges?

Rumor spreadin' 'round
In that Texas town
About that bridge outside La Grange
And you know what I'm talkin' about (it's structurally deficient)

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

My father in law is going through that right now, retired four or five years ago and he’s become a ghost of himself. Used to talk about the little carpentry projects he was going to work on, now he just sits in the living room and stares at the TV all day.
watching enriching documentaries no doubt

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

i made my LinkedIn account back like ten years ago when it was kind of just a resume site. I reactivated my account recently after my company did layoffs and it is the most deranged thing I’ve seen on the internet. it’s truly a cursed place, my feed was filled with absolutely psychotic posting about value and leadership and a bunch of boomers posting selfies at sales conferences alongside quotes. filled me with dread

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

biceps crimes posted:

i made my LinkedIn account back like ten years ago when it was kind of just a resume site. I reactivated my account recently after my company did layoffs and it is the most deranged thing I’ve seen on the internet. it’s truly a cursed place, my feed was filled with absolutely psychotic posting about value and leadership and a bunch of boomers posting selfies at sales conferences alongside quotes. filled me with dread

Don't forget any woman that posts get hit on by said boomers! It's such a vile place

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

One of the better pieces of advice I've been given is to have more interests and hobbies than your time and money can support, and to become invested in them long before you have the energy to manage it. Which is definitely kind of its own brand of bullshit, but it also gets to the core point that "having hobbies" is not something you can just develop out of thin air one day.

You're not going to do all those little carpentry projects after you retire if you're not already doing them before you retire.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Every boomer's plan for retirement was to buy an RV and go visit all the national parks and now RVs are ungodly expensive and the parks are all completely packed with people.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

biceps crimes posted:

Reading LinkedIn for an hour fills me with a greater sense of existential dread about the cursed end of our society than reading the entirety of the biosphere collapse thread ever did

You really can't be on there for any period of time and come out without a sense of the crushing weight of how horrible all the people around you are. It's like a dark mirror of Facebook (where people only post their good pictures of the fun things they did and omit the tedium of their lives), except on LinkedIn it's like watching all the people you've ever worked with doing a macabe puppet dance where they compete to be named most cucked by management.

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

is pepsi ok posted:

Every boomer's plan for retirement was to buy an RV and go visit all the national parks and now RVs are ungodly expensive and the parks are all completely packed with people.

This was my parents plan. They bought a fifth-wheel and they did it for a little while, but pulling a fifth-wheel in an unknown state with all the traffic is stressful, and all the parks and camp grounds were booked solid people just like them so it could be hard to find a place to stay. Now they do the stay at home and stare at the TV/internet thing all day and the fifth-wheel sits in storage.

OH MY BAD
Feb 5, 2024

by Pragmatica
camping is free on any federal land and cracker barrel/walmart usually allows overnight parking. dont let them settle for dying on the barcalounger!!

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

When it comes down to it, buying a fifth wheel and going to national parks is just the same poo poo: consume treat. Tourism isn't a hobby.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

The Oldest Man posted:

Tourism isn't a hobby.
:hai:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Have these people considered helping with their grandkids

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
my wife's grandma is in therapy for feeling depressed and the therapist suggested helping out in the community by volunteering instead of watching daytime tv all day every day. she fired him for suggesting it.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Mad Wack posted:

my wife's grandma is in therapy for feeling depressed and the therapist suggested helping out in the community by volunteering instead of watching daytime tv all day every day. she fired him for suggesting it.

America.txt

netizen
Jun 25, 2023
My dad has a vegetable garden and he enjoys tending to the yard, so he has that. My poor mom just watches foreign tv shows on Netflix and goes insane from politics on the internet. She thought about learning piano and I tried to encourage her, but she doesn't have the space for a keyboard she says. She did go on a diet and lose a bunch of weight, so I guess she hasn't fallen completely into the retirement depression spiral.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

bye bitch

https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1773376841639662052

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

euphronius posted:

Have these people considered helping with their grandkids

Please do not wish the hell of boomer grandparents ‘helping out’ on anyone.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

who got sentenced

edit

oh you changed it

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Mad Wack posted:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

netizen posted:

This was my parents plan. They bought a fifth-wheel and they did it for a little while, but pulling a fifth-wheel in an unknown state with all the traffic is stressful, and all the parks and camp grounds were booked solid people just like them so it could be hard to find a place to stay. Now they do the stay at home and stare at the TV/internet thing all day and the fifth-wheel sits in storage.

The RV thing is always a loving stupid plan because it's not a thing you want to do when you're old. The reason cruises are full of olds is that it's an entirely curated experience that doesn't require you to, you know, drive a loving massive vehicle for hours every day. It feels like half of my mom's friends had this exact same plan and the only one who actually managed to buy the RV never uses it.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

over 9000 days in prison

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Mad Wack posted:

My mother in law retired a couple years ago, and when she tried to volunteer at a charity fixing donated bikes to give to homeless folks, she got run off for bossing the paid employees around because “she could fix them better.” For reference, she is not a retired bicycle mechanic.

so she graduated to blowing up her relationships and friendships as a hobby instead.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think an RV to use to visit grandkids or to go tailgating at football games is probably a good time still. they look like hell to drive tho. they get passes by truckers which must suck

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I spent three days with my folks last summer and realized they're the most miserable assholes I know. Whenever we watched TV, they complained about what we were watching. Whenever we drove somewhere, they complained about the radio. The only thing they enjoyed was going to restaurants. Just a totally joyless existence outside of treats.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The PFC theorem

(he’s right )

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

DickParasite posted:

I spent three days with my folks last summer and realized they're the most miserable assholes I know. Whenever we watched TV, they complained about what we were watching. Whenever we drove somewhere, they complained about the radio. The only thing they enjoyed was going to restaurants. Just a totally joyless existence outside of treats.

buy them accounts. i complain about whats on tv and the radio too. theyd fit right in here.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

We correctly recognize it for what it is when someone emerges from a long prison stint and can't function on the outside

Why should corporate institutionalization be any different

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Paradoxish posted:

The RV thing is always a loving stupid plan because it's not a thing you want to do when you're old. The reason cruises are full of olds is that it's an entirely curated experience that doesn't require you to, you know, drive a loving massive vehicle for hours every day. It feels like half of my mom's friends had this exact same plan and the only one who actually managed to buy the RV never uses it.

yeah, flying in and staying at reasonable accommodations was always the smart play for seeing America.

but yeah, cruise ships won’t die until everything else because they basically combine the Vegas and Maui experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1591822387267665921