Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Rectal Death Alert posted:

I think total knee replacements have moved from cutting huge chunks of bone above/below the knee that get replaced with prosthetic bones to more modern techniques like just replacing the wear parts/kneecaps with metal and plastic. This can be done relatively quickly and easily in minimally invasive surgery and you can charge people $100,000+ for it.

Yeah, this tracks.

I have an out-of-town friend going in for a spinal fusion next week (she legit needs one; she's been bedridden with pain for two months after being hospitalized for a week) so I'm glad to hear that those are going well now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 41 minutes!

Rectal Death Alert posted:

Bone surgeries have advanced quite a bit in the past few decades to the point where they are easier and less destructive but are still some of the most expensive things you can get so I think this is probably the case.

For example my father refused a spine fusion in the 90s due to the potential complications and effects of the surgery. This whole loving movie style thing with the spine being exposed from the back and carved up. It was extremely involved, took forever and took a shitload of extra healthcare, therapy and aftercare.

I checked in for my cervical spine fusion at 8:00AM and was home by 4:00PM. Small cut on my throat and a neck brace. They still charged me a trillion dollars for it. So if all of these bone surgeries are becoming quick and easy then the profit motive is to knock as many of them out as possible.

I think total knee replacements have moved from cutting huge chunks of bone above/below the knee that get replaced with prosthetic bones to more modern techniques like just replacing the wear parts/kneecaps with metal and plastic. This can be done relatively quickly and easily in minimally invasive surgery and you can charge people $100,000+ for it.

I have really bad spondylolisthesis and they just came out with this stuff for it, which seems pretty wild. Probably also expensive as hell.

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/recently-approved-devices/tops-system-p220002

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Mustached Demon posted:

AI party's over, hope you took profits and ran

sold at 940 😮‍💨

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

uhh isn’t this why you get rich? so you DON’T have to deal with poo poo like that?

welp, lmao at the ultrawealthy suffering thru minmaxing like they’re playing Diablo. Our brains are a curse.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation

cool av posted:

uhh isn’t this why you get rich? so you DON’T have to deal with poo poo like that?

welp, lmao at the ultrawealthy suffering thru minmaxing like they’re playing Diablo. Our brains are a curse.

they are mentally ill wealth addicts OP. They are as addicted to accumulating more wealth as a gambling addict is to laying bets or a smoker is to nicotine.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Vox Nihili posted:

to the poster who reported this post: it's a Richard Nixon quote

lol

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

silicone thrills posted:

Some guy self immolated in front of the nyc court house and his manifesto was centered around cryptocurrency being an economic doomsday device.

what a day

https://www.newsweek.com/read-max-azzarello-manifesto-about-lighting-himself-fire-trump-trial-1892368

“I will no longer be complicit in fiat currency”

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

cool av posted:

The wealthy want the benefit of having an NYC pied-à-terre (why not just rent hotel rooms and not a permanent place of abode, avoiding the whole issue to begin with? That's for the poors!) while having to pay the ~4% NYC surtax as a resident (or, usually, the NYS state tax which goes up to 11% or whatever), so they end up having count days in NY because if they're up here more than 183 days they become statutory residents and defeat the purpose of moving to a no-tax or low-tax state. NYSDTF is particularly aggressive with residency exams compared to pretty much any other state other than maybe CA and possibly another state or two, hence why it's a big focus in the article.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Vox Nihili posted:

Fuckin lol

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

reveal the dweeb imo

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

they are mentally ill wealth addicts OP. They are as addicted to accumulating more wealth as a gambling addict is to laying bets or a smoker is to nicotine.

i miss smoking so much, smoking loving owns

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

cool av posted:

The amount of wealth you need to stop giving a poo poo about anything and effectively remove yourself from all material concerns is extremely small compared to the amount of wealth held by the ultra-wealthy. Further accumulation is pretty much a surefire sign that there is something seriously wrong with you, so poo poo like this is entirely expected.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The Oldest Man posted:

by 2050 every western country is going to become a neoliberal hellhole like the US and the US is probably going back to a plantation economy

a silicon valley tech campus but you cant leave

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

Consolidated Ed posted:

i miss smoking so much, smoking loving owns

nicotine itself isn't bad for you, just slap some patches on and be happy forever

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

biceps crimes posted:

reveal the dweeb imo

It's Thorn. You know it's Thorn.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
https://twitter.com/ChuckCallesto/status/1781424236143280584?t=T1ZBoeqg00fq_gJ7579klg&s=19

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

A day early there, pilot

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/DailyLoud/status/1781380603822367144

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Idling in my luxury SUV near the bridge shortly before 12 a.m. with my Ozempic face on

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

Looking like 17th century royalty.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Maed posted:

nicotine itself isn't bad for you, just slap some patches on and be happy forever

it's a poison

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

who gave an insect an account?

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Ethanol is also a poison. I"m gonna keep drink drinking that poo poo,

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

a silicon valley tech campus but you cant leave

Renraku Arcology Economics

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Maed posted:

who gave an insect an account?

I support bugs except for the ones that want to live with you. But the other bugs are ok.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Sokani posted:

Looking like 17th century royalty.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

some good news for a change

sean fain is the real deal

https://x.com/uaw/status/1781511699947831311

street doc
Feb 20, 2019

I have really bad spondylolisthesis and they just came out with this stuff for it, which seems pretty wild. Probably also expensive as hell.

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/recently-approved-devices/tops-system-p220002

there’s also the 3-spine total disc replacement

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Everything is poison.

Dosage matters.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

some good news for a change

sean fain is the real deal

https://x.com/uaw/status/1781511699947831311

:hellyeah:

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

i'm telling you, if you're not a diabetic, if you're just doing it as a weightloss thing, don't take the ozempic

you are going to go hollow

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I'll just live with the belly like my pop and my pap did

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

i'm telling you, if you're not a diabetic, if you're just doing it as a weightloss thing, don't take the ozempic

none of these people had humanity in the first place

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

drat does this let you jack in to the matrix

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

becoming a dark souls character is one thing, getting permanent gastroparesis with a slow painful death is another

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,

Thoguh posted:

It's wierd to realize that someday a @gmail.com address might be like having an @yahoo.com or at @aol.com address.
is there something better now (that’s not a custom server and domain)?

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

got me 50 ounces out a bird in this bitch

cool av posted:

people like that are getting money to get more mone

they aren't ever considering how much their wealth can satisfy already - they only value stuff they can't afford and people who can

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

is there something better now (that’s not a custom server and domain)?
I signed up for a proton email and it seems reasonably good better than gmail in theory butI havent ported over my accounts yet though. i'm probably gunna sit on it until google does something really stupid to light a fire to get me to stop being lazy

MS email accounts are also fine, though i hate web outlook (also desktop outlook sucks rear end now)

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
My job is all google workspace and it's a loving nightmare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

My job is all google workspace and it's a loving nightmare