Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

RealityWarCriminal posted:

money is dying and yalls are laughing

:pray:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I always hoped one day in Ducktales that physics would become correct for a moment and Scrouge McDuck would just break his fuckin neck while diving into the pile of coins.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Eric Cantonese posted:

What the hell? Scrooge is the most interesting guy in the show.

He's still a billionaire and we all know what deserves to happen to them.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
It's 11:30am PST. Are banks still imploding? Or was that a 4 hour ago crisis?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
food portion poo poo: Americans MASSIVEly under estimate food portions because of large plate sizing and poo poo. I participated in a study on it a while back and the results were pretty nuts. Like it involved a real nutrionalist preparing a plate for me every day for a week or so and me visually estimating "ah i think thats a cup for mashed potatoes" or whatever and writing it down. Was cool bc it was at work too so super convenient. Anyway its been backed up a ton and there's a slew of studies out there but a goon being unable to accurately say that a pile of grapes is a cup vs 4 cups isnt surprising because most americans cant.

looks like what I did was cited here:

https://www.mdpi.com/2072-6643/10/8/973

silicone thrills has issued a correction as of 20:34 on Mar 13, 2023

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

anime was right posted:

restaurant portion sizes have destroyed our brain

Its at home too. Standard plates got bigger. Like my house was built in 1979 and almost all the various "nicer" plates couldn't fit in my cabinets with the door closing and i had to go and specifically hunt down some older style correll plates to fit.

Justin Tyme posted:

did they like change the plate size up too for each meal?

Yes! It was very neat. I also tried to use some phone app they wanted me to test to see if it could see how much food was on the plate. It was comprehensive.

the study was with a cancer research center with NIH funding to look at both roles in diet and cancer prevention and portion size stuff. there were a bunch of implications.

A coworker for mine got paid like 3 grand to do another food study with them eliminating like all red meat in his diet. Lost like 40lbs lol. He wasnt even fat, just got real toned up after 6 weeks.

silicone thrills has issued a correction as of 20:38 on Mar 13, 2023

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

nikosoft posted:

I guess it doesn't matter if it's Lunchables since it's not free

In retrospect, if food in high school was free, I think I would have done a lot better academically. Math class was always in the afternoon for me, after a lunch that I almost always never ate, because I didn't have money or easily bringable food from home. I probably still would have struggled with algebra because I'm dumb, but not eating all day certainly didn't help that.

I had this issue. my parents never gave me money for lunch and even if they did, we basically just had turkey pizza hot pockets which gave me insane heartburn in HS. I'd bring sandwhichs if i remembered but waking up at 5am to get gone at 6am i was just not cognizant for poo poo so I was just always hungry and tired.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
red delicious apples = red garbage apples.

first time i tried a gala apple or a fuji apple i was like "wow apples are actually good??? who knew???"

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Crazypoops posted:

America is full of demons and unrepentant sinners like a loving bosch painting and if you don't live here you don't believe me but it's true

the bosch tryptic with all the tiny little demons and pale people all loving and killing each other is so fuckin perf

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Casey Finnigan posted:

that's more what an italian school lunch looks like

looks better than any US school lunch I ever had

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Iron Crowned posted:

I wish I had taken care of my Neon, instead of being a broke millennial in my 20's

I had a cousin with a purple neon and i thought that thing was so sweet.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

As a woman I love work from home because I dont have to worry about engineers awkwardly hitting on me or trying to reach under the table to touch my leg or shooting rubber bands at me every time i walk onto their floor or near their cube. All these things are real things that have happened to me. I trust the folks i work with more because I don't have to worry about this poo poo.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

SKULL.GIF posted:

Just because it's predictable doesn't make it any less stupid.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

anime was right posted:

waking up late west coast time is really screwing me out of the fun

It really is. I wake up and theres already 200 posts and im like sigh - scroll through all the old news / tweets etc till I can get current but its too late to make fun of anything/participate

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

ah gently caress yeah that's the stuff

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

JamesKPolk posted:

art school but for STEM. I thought the joke would write itself but honestly not the worst idea?

As an art school graduate, honestly in high school I spent the entire time working towards a portfolio that would get me a scholarship and it did (still had to pay a lot) but it was definitely coherent and good. I had a real goal to work towards instead of just floundering and just swimming with the current

I absolutely think everyone should get a balanced set of classes though. like i wouldn't say going all through to calculus was useful to me but algebra 1 and geometry? yes.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Justin Tyme posted:

the problem imo isnt that they're writing lovely book reports, it's that they're afraid of being wrong (and relatedly, afraid of getting a bad grade because of being wrong) so they write the most inane, safest thing they can think of

It's super cool when you have teachers who make it clear "Write something interesting and if you can make a logical argument with supporting info with in the book, you can go wild"

We used to just make up the craziest poo poo about writer/character motivations and as long as we had solid grammar and supporting statements our teacher would basically at least give us a B for trying and beacuse they were sick of reading the same poo poo over and over again.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

anime was right posted:

personally id go with suisse-missed but u know

worst hot chocolate i've ever had

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
https://www.cnbc.com/2023/03/15/virgin-orbit-pauses-operations-furloughs-staff.html

seems bad!

quote:

Virgin Orbit pauses operations for a week, furloughs nearly entire staff as it seeks funding

quote:

Virgin Orbit
is furloughing nearly all its employees and pausing operations for a week as it looks for a funding lifeline, people familiar with the matter told CNBC.

Company executives briefed staff on the situation in an all-hands meeting at 5 p.m. ET on Wednesday, according to people who were in the meeting. The furlough is unpaid, though employees can cash in PTO, with only a small team continuing to work. Virgin Orbit is also moving up payroll by a week to Friday.

In the all-hands, company leaders told employees that they aimed to provide an update on the furlough and funding situation by next Wednesday or Thursday, according to the people, who requested to remain anonymous to discuss internal matters.

Virgin Orbit did not immediately respond to CNBC’s requests for comment.

Shares of Virgin Orbit slipped 3% in after-hours trading from its close at $1.01 a share. The stock has slid steadily from its debut near $10 a share in December 2021.
The rocket-building company developed a system that uses a modified 747 jet to send satellites into space, by dropping a rocket from under the aircraft’s wing mid-flight. But the company’s last mission suffered a mid-flight failure, with an issue during the launch causing the rocket to not reach orbit and crash into the ocean.

Since the third quarter, the company has steadily brought in funds in the form of debt via Richard Branson’s Virgin Group.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

err posted:

im going to start using chatgpt for my posts

chatgpt is too wordy for cspam but might work well in d&d

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

I feel like I'm having a stroke reading this. I smell toast.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

gah that's so loving cool and nice. I'm so happy for them.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

triple sulk posted:

philly rules but what they don't mention is that's at 10th and chestnut and you will likely be robbed and/or stabbed by a meth addict if you walk around by yourself any time after dark. it's not a safe neighborhood.

not really joking either. someone was stabbed to death one or two blocks up and over in broad daylight a month or two ago

People are stabbed to death in suburban neighborhoods too. Turns out americans are super loving psychotic and courts dont take domestic violence threats seriously.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

THE FUNDAMENTALS OF THE MARKET ARE STRONG

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
So anyway if we are steadily repeating 2008, which country's bank goes bankrupt for our Iceland moment?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

text editor posted:

what the gently caress?

Ted Lasso thing because he wants to be hip with ... uhh the apple TV watchers

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
blood still on the menu for next week?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

incredible

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

MonsieurChoc posted:

Somehow, Ea-Nasir has returned.

sumerian memes for number teens

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Der Meister posted:

how the gently caress is Alan Greenspan still alive

Just waiting for kissinger to weigh in too

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Someone shot a cop here while the cop was "assisting" on an eviction. Cop lived, shooter didn't. ACAB. ALAB

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Paradoxish posted:

Anyone who has any kind of real hobby has probably been endlessly assaulted by well-meaning by friends and family recommending ways to monetize it. Every year people we know will tell us that we should sell produce from our garden at the farmer's market, or that we should make a gardening YouTube channel, or why do we put so much effort into it if we're not making money from it? I got into a small argument with a family member when I told him I was scaling back/more or less abandoning my fairly profitable 3d printing side gig because I wanted it to just be a hobby.

I like growing oyster mushrooms and such for myself and my "friend" started harassing me that i have to sell them and she would sell them for me and blah blah blah.

I loving hate the "everything has to be a side hustle" culture. It takes all the enjoyment out of just doing the thing.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Illegal morel growing operation, walt has the secret substrate and humidity settings no one else does.

honestly morel mushrooms probably cost more by weight than meth

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

A Bakers Cousin posted:

i was informed at a dinner party after having already eaten quite a bit that we were being fed wildly collected mushrooms and I felt more unsafe at that dinner than I would at a meth lab

lol that's pretty hosed up because people can have pretty wildly different reactions to certain safe but not for commercial sale sort of mushrooms.

Also a bunch of mushrooms have bad reactions to alcohol.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
HONEY BADGER DONT CARE

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Bread dough just takes a bit of practice and learning what your particular needs are - my house is always dry for example so i put a little more liquid in to every dough.

I thought I just sucked at baking for a long time but it just turned out i needed to calibrate my oven and learn to adjust

Now i make a loaf that looks like this basically every week and its only 5 ingredients. flour, yeast, milk powder, salt, water.

And the whole thing takes place in 1 mixing bowl that is easy to clean, requires almost no kneading and the bread pan itself just stays oiled forever and requires minimal washing.

Your first few times making anything will be messy as you learn but you get into a groove over time where its like - im about 5 minutes total for that loaf of actual work time and clean up and its just like 5 hours of wait time on the rise and bake where i can be doing something else - playing games, cleaning, painting, etc.

silicone thrills has issued a correction as of 19:55 on Mar 23, 2023

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Mirthless posted:

Stand up mixer takes five minutes to clean, otherwise it's two bowls, also taking about five minutes to clean

Homemade bread is so good but significantly more time consuming than cookies. Also learning to make the staff of life is like gaining a superpower that just makes you fat :negative:

It's fine. ill be the eventual goon compound baker when the biosphere collapse thread catches up with all of us.

Also bread dough/bread actually taste way better when you ignore it for a long time. like pizza dough lives in my fridge for about 3-5 days before i get around to making pizza so its like a sour dough pizza every time and its still bubbly af.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Mirthless posted:

The biggest problem is just remembering to feed your starter every day

Also: cleaning sourdough off your counter and walls when it blasts outta its container

The youtube chefs never tell you about that part

I tried the whole sourdough starter thing for like a month and i eventually killed it and it kept pissing all over my fridge because the liquid would condensate on the top of the cover i had for it then leak over

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Another big thing is if your dough seems too wet - you can sift a little more flour into it at any point during the knead process so if it seems too sticky, sprinkle some, knead a little, repeat until it stops sticking to your hand and if its meant to be a wet dough, just loosely shape it with the layer of flour on top and then throw it into your pan.

I almost never use my mixer at all and start with long age wet doughs and just mix until generally incorporated with very little kneading.

also butter and zatar seasoning on top of home made bread is the most glorious and amazing thing i've ever discovered and its actually filling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

That Works posted:

This a no-knead kind of deal?

it is! I've posted the recipe and how i do it in the food thread here in cspam before