Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

from the last thread:

SKULL.GIF posted:

As that ZH chart shows, Wells Fargo is my bet for the first Big 4 bank to pop like a balloon.

It was two, two days ago: Silvergate went down and then Silicon Valley Bank blew up at the end of last week. The third, Signature Bank got shut down like a hour ago by the Feds glowmen.

First Republic is likely to be next.

lmao pretty sure my job uses Wells Fargo for payroll, gdi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Centrist Committee posted:

too big to fail = any lovely regional bank in america

That's a shame because I was licking my chops over the idea of the lovely regional bank I worked for going tits up

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

https://twitter.com/WifeyAlpha/status/1635033453912813568

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Raccooon posted:

Watching rioting in France.

The US isn’t even to the point of a coherent political movement to make an argument for a different path.

Protesting in the US comes with terrorism charges now

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

War and Pieces posted:

How many public pools & beaches are without lifeguards these days?

The lake near my last place has no lifeguards and they ripped out the old lifeguard towers last time they remodeled the park. No less than 3 people drown in that lake every summer.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

When I drove around as a field tech I remember being in rich neighborhood and seeing one of the lawn care guys carrying a bag of grass clippings that looked like he was over 80.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

is pepsi ok posted:

When I left my last tech job in 2020 my system was still running on bunch of physical servers running Server 2003 with literally no road map for upgrades.

I'm in charge of the physical computer hardware at a government agency and whoo boy it's bad. I just replaced a laptop so old it didn't even have onboard wifi, end user handed an air card in with it

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

that's genuinely unbelievable. was it actually being used? not just... found in a desk???

These are still in use, yes. I have another user I'm upgrading to a new laptop next week. It's incredible they can even run x64 Windows 10.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

what you mean these pixels aren't worth the cost of a house after all? who knew

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

I think it's because they think other banks are on the brink of blowing up too and they're worried the banks will just let it happen because the government will bail them out. So they make an example of FRB and make it clear that other banks will not be rescued, so get their finances in order pronto.

Or, at least, that's my guess. Who knows what the gently caress's going on.

I worked for a lovely regional bank and I can't wait for their number to be up

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Rip Testes posted:

Local grocery where every item seems to be a minimum of $7 on average scales back the store hours. There was an announcement playing that attributed the change in hours, limiting of self checkout items and the closing one of the entrances on crime and that these changes are for the benefit of shoppers safety.

poo poo is coming apart. I wonder what the grocery item black market looks like. The real crime is the prices.

At multiple stores now I've had no choice but to self checkout. I just bought a single bag of groceries and some cat food that came out to $150. How does anyone afford to eat holy poo poo.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Stereotype posted:

multigenerational housing has been a thing forever and is a great way to maintain community and personal resiliency and the only reason it’s such an oft derided thing nowadays is because most boomers are insufferable judgmental know-it-alls who hate their children and have lead poisoning.

I moved back home to my Boomer parents house and oof I remember why I left in the first place; it's tolerable but my mother tries to micromanage me like she's my manager. Worth it to not have to pay 50% of my income on rent and bills though.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

euphronius posted:

nursing homes are over 10k a month I think

then you run out of money and go on Medicaid

Then Medicare Medicaid forces you to sell all your property to pay for it so any children banking on still being able to live in/inherit the home goes out the window

Lacrosse has issued a correction as of 20:02 on Apr 27, 2023

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

euphronius posted:

that’s Medicaid. unless they changed names or whatever

Whoops you're right my mistake

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Business Gorillas posted:

I was gonna do a trip to the PNW and the endless HOMELESSCRIMEWAVE stories are scaring my girlfriend. Are SF/Portland/Seattle worth going to or should we just hike in the parks instead?

I work downtown and haven't had many problems, the problem with Seattle is that there's not many interesting things to do as a tourist. Idk why people come here on vacation to be honest.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Xaris posted:

yeah it's gotten quite bad. I've been a reddit defender in the past as sort of a neo-Usenet (which had a lot of useful information like rock hunting sites, ghost towns, routes, along with shitposts and flamewars) over the past 15 years, but the past 4 years have been a stark collapse. shittification of the internet but even actual content is draining away. i'd say these are just echos of a subsiding superstructure and declining society writ large though, nothing particular about the site.

I'm sure a huge reason why this is, is because a ton of content is locked away in private discords now. Anything public without a pay wall is a bot paradise.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Glumwheels posted:

I don’t know how one would survive in Seattle on $60-80k. You’d need a roommate for sure or an 2nd income from a significant other.

It’s not just rent that’s expensive, everything is really loving expensive here compared to the rest of the country. Dining out is extremely expensive, staples at the grocery store are ridiculous now ($10 for a 5lb bag of flour), across the board it’s become far more expensive than neighboring states. I do Costco runs whenever I go down to Oregon as well as buy clothes and stuff for us and the house because it’s cheaper and no sales tax. For whatever reason stuff isn’t as expensive at the grocery stores down there as they are in Seattle.

I’ve also had to spend hours finding reliable companies to provide services that don’t charge an arm and a leg. My neighbors and I share contacts whenever we find a good company.

The key was buying a house back in 2017 or so or even before 2020 because then you’ll have had a low mortgage rate and a cheap house compared to prices today.

I'm in that income range in the Seattle area and I ended up moving back in with my family because trying to live on $60,000 as a single person with no roommate is no longer possible. I'm now supporting 4 adults (including myself) on my wage but at least my money is going to better my family and not a shady slumlord like I had been doing for the past 17 years.

Seattle is just about as expensive as San Francisco now and it's bullshit because the jobs here don't pay anywhere near as much as they do there.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Eric Cantonese posted:

I would like to know what Apple's long term plan for this is. To be fair to them, it looks like this is the best thought-out implementation and probably the least taxing from an ergonomic/eye-strain point of view, but I don't see a massive hankering in consumers for this. Maybe there's some super-long term market share masterplan going on...

I can think of work-related uses for good AR capabilities that this might be able to give, but I don't know if Apple was thinking about that. Apple thinks it's going to sell 900,000 units over the next 12 months (which is a tiny fraction of its sales expectations for every other kind of device it sells), but I'm skeptical that it'll even go there.

I think it was to patent all the cool VR/AR technology they can. I'm in a social group that is heavily into VR things and that was one of the complaints they made that thanks to Apple there won't be any good face tracking on any new headsets going forward for the next 20 years.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Eric Cantonese posted:

They don't think Apple will continue to make improved headsets after this first go?

Nobody in my friends group has the means to afford such a device, nor wants to. Unless the military decides to pick it up I don't even know who this device is intended for. It's a dead man walking imo.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

I have this head canon that Discord was started by bronies on account they called it Discord and I seem to remember the service coming around at the same time the MLP show was super popular and there was a dragon character named Discord people were going apeshit about. No idea if it's true or not but I feel like it'd explain a lot.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Paradoxish posted:

I'm pretty sure I'd have more luck blindly applying to jobs than I would trying to actually utilize my LinkedIn network in any kind of meaningful way.

I got my current job off Indeed. The job required 3 professional references but I had contact info from my last job so I didn't use LinkedIn for that. But I was blindly applying for jobs and this was also past summer before the job market for IT people went sideways. My tech friends who have gotten laid off are having a bad time finding a new gig right now.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Paradoxish posted:

Don't ban cars going into philly because then my business trip at the end of the month will literally cost me an extra $300.

Still extremely bitter about the cost of trains in this garbage country.

In the Seattle area we have a commuter heavy rail train called the Sounder but because the tracks it runs on is owned by BNSF, who charges a king's ransom for usage, it only runs for morning and evening commute times M-F, so I can't use it to get anywhere on the weekend or evenings.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Paradoxish posted:

We used to have a place like that pretty close, now it's like $30 for extremely okay food for two.

I wanted to try this taco truck in a gas station parking lot near my house, it was $26 for a plate of pollo en mole. From a taco truck at a gas station.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

You're thinking at too high a scale. "Attendance" is a dog whistle for "took vacation or sick days." Also potentially for "was 7 rontoseconds late to clocking in." It's a versatile excuse.

A family member who worked for Costco corporate got super sick within their 90 day probation period and got fired for being off work for 3 days to recover without even a meeting to allow them to defend themselves.

Just recently I was looking for a new job and saw Costco corporate had some openings for my skill set but even the job posting mentioned attendance was important to them so I passed it up.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

https://twitter.com/mollymcghee/status/1668969153456218112?s=20

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

triple sulk posted:

the replies are exactly what you think they are

I honestly can't read comments on popular Twitter threads ever since The Worst People On The Internet got boosted to the top of the replies

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Ebola Roulette posted:

That reminds me I went to a place where it was very obvious the noodles in the ramen were literally the .30 pack of maruchan or whatever. It was still stuck together and everything.

Charged me $15

Everything is so expensive now people must be pulling back on their purchases. I can tell because a bubble tea shop I've never given my email address to somehow got my email address to send a coupon deal to. It reminds me of early covid when a bunch of companies I had no idea had my contact info crawled out of the woodwork to tell me how much they care about me.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

it's a really bad time to be in any kind of competitive job right now, public sector work and no-growth family businesses are probably the place to be over the next couple of years even if those jobs aren't very good

I'm working a public sector job that's badly understaffed and as a result the tools and resources I need to do my job are badly broken and I'm burning out so hard but to leave a public sector job with amazing health benefits and a pension would be an amazingly stupid thing to do so I'm powering through it best I can until I drop dead from a stress-induced heart attack

:smith:

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Xaris posted:

they're actually very good and pay better than private except at the very tippy top end. we have baked in 4-8% annual raises every year

Yeah actually my public job is paying me $7k a year more for my helpdesk position than my last employer. And that's on top of better benefits + pension. I just wish they'd hire another person for my team because we're all drowning.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Nothus posted:

I assume they will replace the mods and seize the subreddits before they let it threaten the money

Which will promptly go to poo poo when the people who actually gave a poo poo are replaced with yes men

Lacrosse has issued a correction as of 16:18 on Jun 15, 2023

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

spacemang_spliff posted:

lol it's $2.28/hr for a fulltime job

That's OK, they make up the difference in tips

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Every quarter companies must double their profit from the quarter before it. Yeah sure you made $2 billion dollars last quarter but unless you make $4 billion this quarter you've failed as a business.

So that, and also hardly anyone has a union anymore and the ones that do probably can't legally strike (railroaders, bus drivers, air traffic controllers, etc)

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Thoguh posted:

My understanding is that the Reddit mod complaint is that they need the third party apps for effective moderation because the native Reddit one sucks. So even if they install scab mods they are still gonna make everything suck if they kill the ability to easily moderate a website that requires constant and aggressive moderation to even just be a baseline level of lovely.

Oops, all Nazis!

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

A popping bubble is the perfect excuse to turn the money printers back on

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

thechosenone posted:

So am I right that cutting or not raising rates won't really help any more than rising them did? Yeah I mean I'd like people to have free money but it wasn't anyone making less than six figures getting much of that.

Actually wasn't low rates why they were able to buy up all the houses in the first place? Like faster than usual specifically. Feels like they're trying to balance in the head of a pin to keep themselves upright, but that they'll eventually just get poked even if they succeed.

The only thing that'll help is removing money from the system and to do that you need to tax the rich which will never happen

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

There's a fresh body in the Google Graveyard this morning https://twitter.com/ow/status/1669531982446088192?s=20

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

The first time one of these shutdowns really punched me in the gut. I do not want to be dealing with squarespace! gently caress you Google.

It's weird that a company would punish its users like this for using their paid products. Figuring out where to migrate my domain name to was not how I planned to spend my weekend.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

holefoods posted:

I don’t think that one is gonna go how he thinks

Oops! All Nazis!

Spaced God posted:

How the gently caress did a pedophile get into a position of power on an online community? :ironicat:

Alternatively:

Oops! All sexpests!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Hey remember when Twitter got rid of their mods? That sure went well.