Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I'm bullish on bloooooood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

:yeshaha:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Tom Tucker posted:

loving bullshit. Capital treats children as burdens to be upkept at minimal cost until they reach the legal labor age and it shows real hard.

thankfully they're lowering the labor age

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

coelomate posted:

last Tuesday or so everyone was nervous about inflation higher than expected from other indicators, and Powell was testifying before congress in a way that implied that the hotish inflation numbers meant more and longer rate increases.

Then we forgot that because we had a little banking crisis.

A hot number today and maybe we can forget about the banking crisis!

i want whichever one gives us more blood

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

:yeshaha:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

spacemang_spliff posted:

The 3rd Circuit panel said that while a salary is a fixed amount of compensation paid out at regular intervals, paid time off is a fringe benefit that has no effect on a worker's wages and can be paid irregularly, such as when an employee leaves a company.

New Jersey-based Bayada operates in 23 states and has about 28,000 employees. The company's lawyers did not immediately respond to a request for comment. Nor did lawyers for the plaintiffs.

A group of Bayada employees, including nurses, physical therapists and social workers, sued the company in Scranton, Pennsylvania federal court in 2016.

They said that because Bayada deducted PTO when employees did not reach a weekly productivity quota, they were paid based on how much they worked and were not salaried employees exempt from overtime pay under the federal Fair Labor Standards Act.

Love our totally legitimate courts

sweet satan lol

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

lol

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

All options huh?

:guillotine:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

almost as if the labor imbalance is because millions died or were disabled

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

so glad we refinanced <3% and dropped our loan to a 20-year fixed (was 30-fixed) when we could

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Basic Poster posted:

I have a 30 year, but I never saw the advantage of limiting those terms down. Cant you just pay it monthly as if it were a 20, but be able to divert money if need be because the payment is less per month in a thirty? And they’ll redo to payment schedule if you go plop like a few thousand extra cash on it.

You get lower rates the quicker the term plus the refinance lowered our rate so much it gave us the same payment

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Eric Cantonese posted:

The "split the baby" seems to be a 25 point increase and then announcing that they'll see where it goes from there, with some nice cuddly words about valuing the stability of the financial system. I'm not sure what else they can do because potentially igniting more bank runs is not good.

Not good but amazing

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

My pixel 6a does it just fine

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Gen Zer homeowners at this point are all products of nepotism

:guillotine:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

skooma512 posted:

The spot price is on the downward trend so they're keeping the price the same to pocket the spread. When the pandemic happened some gas station would leave the price untouched for months, and some still do.

yeah but the shareholders need more yachts

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

mexi posted:

this is funny because I had an ex that was a chemistry major and she was a terrible cook. she cooked with the chemist mindset of throw enough in to get the job done and precipitate out the extra.

she made me banana bread once and it was so crappy it didn’t rise at all in the tin. luckily I have a bad allergy to bananas so I was able to give the “sorry babe I would love to but” excuse

obviously flunked at organic chem

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

mawarannahr posted:

you have to know what tastes good, what things go well together, how to discern ingredient quality, where you can experiment a little and where you probably shouldn't, and the reasons for all the above

that's exactly chemistry though

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

is pepsi ok posted:

Taste is not chemistry and if you're thinking of the taste zones you were taught about in school that poo poo was debunked a long time ago.

it's a bodily response so it's actually just chemistry, we're sacks of aqueous organic chemistry catalyzed by various transition metals

really though cooking is taking ingredients and making something that produces a bodily response, putting them together in a way that nails it is the art

no different than synthetic chemistry

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Mr Hootington posted:

People are failing capitalism again

number can only be failed

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

:drac:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Boise for sure

all the mega chuds from California moved here, started vanilla isis, and are working towards ruining the metro

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I like the word exurb for not true suburb but close enough to metro to commute there

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

A Bakers Cousin posted:

yeah mountain lions dont seem like the "take them lightly" kind of animal

edit: I think the lion part is a good clue tbh

you won't see a mountain lion unless it wants you to see it, unless it's like lost in suburbia or something

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

SourKraut posted:

or because of rabies, in which case, run.

some cats hate water while others hate water

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

V. Illych L. posted:

i also wear a watch

it's a handy way to check the time without being hypnotised by the demon box that is my smart phone

time and space have no meaning, only through The Number can you find glory

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

19 o'clock posted:

he's been reading this thread

edit: give me $600

10,600 or 20,600 you mean?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

imagine the smell

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Paradoxish posted:

The last time I drove a Tahoe (not the biggest of the truck-based SUVs by far) a cyclist literally vanished alongside me, and I'm tall enough that my head was nearly touching the ceiling in that car. There was nothing I could have done, no seating position, no combination of looking in my mirrors, that would have allowed me to see him. I only knew he was there because I saw the approach, and then he was gone.

We literally sell people murder machines every day.

you expect parents to drive their brood around with a minivan?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Louisgod posted:

this is purely :tinfoil: but I wonder if endless COVID infections has affected people's driving. purely anecdotal but it seems like people as a whole have become worse drivers specific to reckless choices. speeding has gotten so bad where I live that the local pigs need to announce they're setting up speed traps on the highways, yet people still speed and do stupid poo poo.

I think it's a contribution but the pandemic also made people a lot more lovely to each other

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Twerk from Home posted:

It's extremely difficult to die of obesity related disease before 40. On the other hand, Big Pun managed it.

These are deaths of violence and despair. Cars, drugs, and guns.

They're all deaths of poverty (cars excluded somewhat). Obesity falls under that too since it's rather hard to treat when your most cost-effective source of food isn't healthy at all.

It's all just the American ideal of prosperity gospel: you're poor because you don't worship god hard enough so you must suffer

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Simplot and ore-ida also need to increase their profits so they're just passing that onto the customer

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Relentlessboredomm posted:

here's a broad existential questions but what uh, what are we supposed to do?

like what am i as an adult supposed to be trying to do in this system? kids are out of the question, i likely won't ever be able to afford a house or at least not until im nearing 45/50. i'm constantly trying to pull myself out of a debt spiral only for the economy to poo poo its pants the second it looks like i might get on top of things. the political system is rapidly crumbling and we're a heartbeat away from throwing domestic undesirables into the same camps we throw foreign undesirables. i personally know about a half dozen people who've been shot during various mass shootings so that continues to be a large and ever increasing specter over day to day social gatherings. oh and the entire ecosystem is going to tip into a series of cascading failures in the next decade or so. im just completely at a loss for how to proceed anymore.

am i just supposed to run out the clock here?

it was easier to pretend i could eke out a few good years before the inflation spiral and the vilification of everyone who's not cis, but i both don't want to ignore everything and am also utterly powerless to stop it. being at the blm protests really drove that second part home. i wish i could afford enough weed to not have to think about this poo poo

post through it

focus on anything you can control, do poo poo that makes you happy

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

i learned about JR simplot years ago in boise. apparently he/that company invented the industrial process of flash freezing cut potatoes, after being a defense contractor providing dehydrated food in WWII. his name is all over downtown boise, including on some weird educational/entertainment venue downtown surrounded by old combines and tractors.

still a privately owned company

Top 100 of privately held companies iirc, all because they got that government cash

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

actionjackson posted:

it's ultraprocessed foods, kevin hall at NIH did several studies over a month long period where they monitored people at their facilities (they were literally not allowed to leave). they found no clinically significant difference between low fat and low carb, which was also checked in a meta-analysis (low fat actually did better, but only statistically, not clinically)

very long story short, people in the ultraprocessed group ate 500 calories a day more on average than the unprocessed. some interesting reasons for this have to do with ultraprocessed food being consumed much more quickly than natural food, and some hypotesized effects of how ultraprocessed foods affect ghrelin

Modern food science has perfected creating food that punches the pleasure center in the brain in such a way it's essentially second nature to over eat it.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

hispanics/latinos are known for the "hispanic paradox" yeah thats right bitch the paradox is we're often poor and in sometimes lovely locations/scenarios but we live as long whites you dumb sluts

it's the lard, the lard offsets the other factors

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

FlapYoJacks posted:

North Idaho is dragging down Boise. Boise is drat near as expensive as Los Angeles now.

north Idaho is where all the retired LA cops go to be with their fellow nazis

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Mountain home is an air force base and poo poo, literal piles of poo poo

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I can't stress this part enough: the processing in highly processed foods includes things that make them addicting. Our dumb brains reward us with feel good chemicals when we overeat them. They're engineered to hit those receptors hard.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

DancingShade posted:

I'm waiting for the articles saying why we shouldn't be afraid of living 10 families to a room and why slumlords are the unsung heroes of the working class by giving them a rusty tin roof to shelter under from the acid rain.

High density slums full of disease are quite good actually, furthermore

nuclear family unit is a bible thumper thing though so it may run contrary to that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Weekends get rough sometimes without glorious number