Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

mastershakeman posted:

So did that guy who bought sbv stock make the right call

No. SVB is dead. Their stock is worth $0.00.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

anime was right posted:

if anyone has good content for the OP lmk

https://i.imgur.com/CGAN1Md.gifv

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

enhance and diversify deez nuts

https://twitter.com/Fxhedgers/status/1635067459358314496

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Hubbert posted:

black monday the 13th

what a day that will be tomorrow

:siren:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I hope everyone enjoyed this episode of Infrastructure Week -- National Finances Edition.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Italian finance bro pointing out the USA is repeating a lot of the same mistakes Italy did when they went through their own financial crisis:

He thinks the only real fix is to forcibly raise deposit rates:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

This guy says this is gonna trigger a wave of people moving money into big banks instead of having it spread out.

https://twitter.com/PauloMacro/status/1635091004566167553

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Mr Hootington posted:

Barney Frank himself was on Signature's board

:lol: LOL :lol:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Mr Hootington posted:

This was such a monumental mistake that will have unforeseen consequences.

So

A. FDIC is unlimited insuring everyone regardless of deposit level, we are literally printing infinite money

B. This infinite insurance gets rolled back at some point, people go "Oh gently caress the government is in serious trouble" and we get a mass panic

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

what would definitely trigger flight would be the fed just going lol and doing nothing, since it guarantees that anything above $250k is not safe, so you go to a bank where the world economy is hosed if it fails. I dunno why paying back depositors has the same effect if they do it by a "just this once, you silly goose" mechanism

Because it costs money to hedge anything past $250k. If you knew the FDIC was gonna be good for it -- but not good for anything above X indeterminate amount of money -- why bother keeping your money in a small bank and hedging against the excess of the FDIC insurance with a X% chance of going bust when you could just keep your money in a large bank that had 0.x% chance of going bust?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

euphronius posted:

I guess 6% inflation is the new floor

Good thing Social Security has annual cost-of-living adjustments.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Ryan Maue is a rightoid who worked for Cato. He's mocking the climate companies.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Ackman hitting the catnip again.

quote:

This was not a bailout. During the GFC, the gov’t injected taxpayer money in the form of preferred stock into banks. Bondholders were protected and shareholders were diluted to varying degrees. Taxpayer money was put at great risk. Many people who screwed up suffered minimal to no consequences. Those were bailouts.

Here, shareholders and bond holders have been wiped out. The @FDICgov insurance fund capitalized by premiums paid by banks will absorb any losses. The fund will recoup any losses by assessing more premiums on the banks.

Had the @FDICgov @USTreasury and @federalreserve not intervened today, we would have had a 1930s bank run continuing first thing Monday causing enormous economic damage and hardship to millions.

More banks will likely fail despite the intervention, but we now have a clear roadmap for how the gov’t will manage them.

Bank boards and managements have received a massive wake up call. Being a director or CEO of a bank that fails is no fun: years of litigation, regulatory investigations, personal liability, potential civil and criminal charges, and enormous reputational damage.

Our gov’t did the right thing. This was not a bailout in any form. The people who screwed up will bear the consequences. The investors who didn’t adequately oversee their banks will be zeroed out and the bondholders will suffer a similar fate.

Importantly, our gov’t has sent a message that depositors can trust the banking system. Without this confidence, we are left with three or possibly four too-big-to-fail banks where the taxpayer is explicitly on the hook, and our national system of community and regional banks is toast.

Our government did the right thing for the country. We are very fortunate it did so.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

"Three... or possibly four"

Wells Fargo is a problem.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

WrasslorMonkey posted:

Woah woah woah woah hold the gently caress on.

Hardee’s is Carl’s Jr?

It's a regional thing.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Bitchcoin is up 11.3%. All is well. Infinite bull market

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The 75 point rally on futures from yesterday's bailout has already vanished.

Bank stocks are getting blown out in premarket trading.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Jon Irenicus posted:

Jim what are you doing

The overnight rally began dumping pretty much the instant he tweeted this stuff. He has a true gift.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Monday the 13th 2023, a date that will live in infamy

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

coelomate posted:

we doing affirmations to wish this into existence now?

dow futures arts down like 0.25%, I feel like we’re gonna be disappointed in todays blood

"down -0.25%" ignoring that it's down 2.6% from the high of the overnight rally that came on the back of the FDIC declaring an end to insolvency, coming off a -1.5% dump on Friday.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

-1% -3% from intrasession high

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Mr Hootington posted:

2 year treasurers yield is down .52BPS. :prepop:

This is because people are rushing to move money from equities into bonds.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

2008: Banks have a liquidity crisis, Fed steps in to guarantee liquidity
2023: Banks have a solvency crisis, Fed steps in to guarantee solvency

What happens now?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

shrike82 posted:

someone should benchmark an inverse skull.gif index

We've been in a bear market for 14 months now.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Early but it doesn't sound like Brandon's telling us anything new. Just recapping the weekend

https://i.imgur.com/RFzS1q6.gifv

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1635265194594291716

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

FRC popped to $34 during the Brandon speech and is getting blasted to sub-$29 right now.

It closed Friday at $81.76.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

skaboomizzy posted:

jim cramer just said Wells Fargo is in great shape

F

:mrgw:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

FRC trading instantly halted at open.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

SCHW (Charles Schwab) halted as well.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Eric Cantonese posted:

This seems pretty ridiculous as Schwab's business operations are apparently doing well and risk management seems good, but I'm not sure how it gets fixed without the pivot everyone is asking for. Have they been on the short seller target list for a while?

This isn't an aftereffect of everyone being spooked about bank runs. SCHW began dumping on Thursday too along with the other banks that the market recognized as risky.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I have 2 separate boomers texting me asking me to explain wtf is going on. Everyone's spooked now.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

SCHW on its 3rd halt, FRC on its 4th.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

coelomate posted:

That quote is from his newsletter on Friday March 10th 2023

It says in the image he's quoting himself from November.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Mr Hootington posted:

People at my work are starting to talk and get antsy about this. I can overhear them saying ALL banks are having runs and are failing and people need to get their money out now.

Should be interesting to see if they do this.

One of the boomers who texted me earlier scoffed when I explained the financial market was addicted to ZIRP and we're seeing insane withdrawal symptoms. He told me he bought a house at 17% interest and then refinanced to 13% in the early 1980s and then sneered at the markets for not being able to handle 5% interest.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Another bank gets frozen.

https://twitter.com/zerohedge/status/1635280880771153920

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Marx Headroom posted:

its pretty funny that something is happening, but reporting on it would make it worse

:mrgw: