Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

picking up the old discussion as we parse the new not-a-bailout bailout:

Mr Hootington posted:

Why not? The fear was banks blowing up, but they set up a program to stop that. The only people who suffer with rate hikes is the consumer now.

I think this is kinda spot on? The fed has a dual mandate: low inflation and low unemployment.

They're gonna meet and observe low unemployment and high inflation.

Like I GUESS they might say "uh oh scared of banks going kapow" but... they acted forcefully to stop that. I'd put money on a 0.25% increase or more in 10 days TBH.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

mastershakeman posted:

So did that guy who bought sbv stock make the right call

no, the stock got deleted with a space laser at like 11am eastern Friday. Anyone holding stock at that time is now holding space laser ash.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Vox Nihili posted:

so does the FDIC have a ton of discretion to choose how it uses the premiums bank pay into it? I always thought their mandate was pretty much set, but maybe they can just decide "lol all deposits are covered for now, because we can"????

FDIC understanders, please explain

There's a special clause that says if enough feds get together, close their eyes, and chant "systematically important" than can use unlimited money to do anything. So they did.

That's numberwang!

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Honestly you could argue First Republic (shareholders) got the best NotABailout deal here. The new lending facility is gonna fix a lot of their problems, which should make their stock soar?

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

with any luck we'll still get a little contagion this week

we've been so good for so long

pls

: |

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Mr Hootington posted:

https://twitter.com/MorganRicks1/status/1635067079006240769?t=DTJTFNRK9pGQZHLO_gvGuw&s=19

Consensus seems to be forming that this is a bailout and that what the FEd and treasury has done is insanity.

House Republicans are gonna have to squeeze some hearings over this inbetween hunter dick pic marathons

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Does the magic lending window only apply to like, securities a bank already owned as of market close Friday?

Because if not isn't there just crazy arbitrage money to be made by a bank hoovering up all the old 20 and 30 year treasuries for like 40% off face value, getting a loan against them, using the first 60% of the loan to... buy more... and stashing the other 40% in short term treasuries yielding 5%. Risk free baby!

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

tip of the day: buy high, oops thing blew up no longer exists and has no value

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

SKULL.GIF posted:

This guy says this is gonna trigger a wave of people moving money into big banks instead of having it spread out.

https://twitter.com/PauloMacro/status/1635091004566167553

Letting the bank depositors eat poo poo would have done that way faster. I mean it might still happen, but...

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

kinda ironic that the bitcoin genesis block included this headline as an encoded message: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks”

and here we are now bailing out banks and inadvertently saving crypto and bumping bitcoin prices

lmao

lol

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Yeah even if the bank failures end here it means the fed can’t just keep raising rates without breaking some major poo poo

I don’t expect tomorrow to be Black Monday but this does feel like beginning of a major reckoning

sure they can. One of the major risks to raising rates too much or too quickly was the unrealized losses that would pile up on bank balance sheets.

As of Sunday March 12th, there's no such thing as an unrealized loss on a bank's balance sheet due to interest rate moves - they can immediate cash against them at their old value. It's effectively a 600 billion dollar stimulus lmao just lmao.

jpow could set rates to 25% tomorrow and the banks wouldn't blow up :toot:

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

are you referring to a bailout, which they will assume is guaranteed?

otherwise I don’t get it

Vox Nihili posted:

the bank has to go broke and get taken over by the government for it to happen, the bankers themselves still lose all their money

I’m taking about the new BTFP (Bank Term Funding Program) that the FDIC is rolling out for not yet failed banks. It’ll allow the ~600 billion plus in unrealized losses for live banks to Not Matter because they can get loans from the feds equal to those unrealized losses while they wait out their bond maturities.

https://www.federalreserve.gov/newsevents/pressreleases/monetary20230312a.htm

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

First Republic is eating deep poo poo pre market, and I can’t explain it. Their capitalization actions combined with the FDIC’s magic new BTFP bucks should get them off of death row.

Other bank stocks are hurting too and again, they got a sneaky bailout in the form of being able to borrow a buck on 50 cents collateral which is a pretty nice thing! What gives?

Either the markets are being silly, or the medicine has not killed the infection.

Actually, even if the market is wrong, if that wrongness still leads to bank runs and there will be blood.

Here we go!

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Joe Biden told me it wasn’t a bailout, Jack. You see the investors in the fart app, the fart app, and 6 other banks that deserve to be put to the sword all get a secret stash of new money just for them to survive something the rules said should kill them. But it’s not a bailout because (cut to commercial)

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

My “it wasn’t a bailout” t-shirt has people asking a lot of questions already answered by my t-shirt.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

CNBC anchor just now asking if regional bank depositors are chill or if they’re still jumpy, says quote: “some of the phone numbers at JPMorgan are busy right now because of all the people trying to open new accounts”

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Biden speaking at 8am Monday, a totally normal time for Presidential addresses and in no way a Baghdad Bob impression.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

VIX is climbing near 30…

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

triple sulk posted:

so are at least two more banks shutting down today

maybe. First Republic may already be dead based on how the market is moving against it.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

neutral milf hotel posted:

did you know Barney Frank sits on the board of Signature bank?

sat*

bank got nuked yesterday and board management and shareholders r fuk today. all assets now owned by FDIC :salute:

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

SKULL.GIF posted:

Monday the 13th 2023, a date that will live in infamy

we doing affirmations to wish this into existence now?

dow futures arts down like 0.25%, I feel like we’re gonna be disappointed in todays blood

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Jel Shaker posted:

so if i’m a billionaire why should i risk my billions in all this market turmoil, might as well just stash it in a normal cash account, it’s risk free

if you're a billionaire you should have your billions in short term us treasuries. no bank risk and 4.5% interest dummy.

Bank accounts aren't GOOD. They suck. They're just necessary for payroll and poo poo.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1635260024330293248

do it jerome the euros think it's cool

https://twitter.com/FirstSquawk/status/1635260446063349761

hmmm

coelomate has issued a correction as of 13:52 on Mar 13, 2023

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Mr Hootington posted:

It is 4% now

Heh, yeah, markets are definitely thinking we may have a PIVOT. But not that bad yet.

fed funds is 4.57 as of friday and IIRC declared in the 4.5 - 4.75 range. Yields will girate but short term ones shouldn't dip meaningfully below that. I see a 1 month quote at 4.489 right now

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

brandon about to take the mic and tell us it's fine and to go back to bed

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

"Before I leave for California I want to briefly speak about what's happening at SVB and Signature Bank"

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

We can have confidence in our banking system and our deposits everyone!

breathe easier

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

"I instructed my team to act quickly to protect capital and investors"

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

"Treasury Secretary Yellen and a team of regulators took immediate action to bail out fart apps, fart app investors, and fart app speculators."

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

"That's how capitalism works, Jack"

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

So when the market eats my roth IRA where do I sign up for the bailouts
I don't even need big money the $250k is fine

just found a bank! i looked into it once, alas to get a bank charter you more or less need to already have run a bank. RIGGED.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Market is open baby let's DO THI--

wow that's a lotta red

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Jim Cramer reading through the list of banks with the highest percentage of uninsured deposits

"Signature, SVB, First Republic is next, and then... uh... I don't want to read this list of names. But it's a lot of regionals."

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

SKULL.GIF posted:

SCHW (Charles Schwab) halted as well.

This eating poo poo would cause real panic. Lotta retail and stock there.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Schwab releases a statement "do not panic." Jim Cramer reads it on air. Then says "Hmm you know if you have to release a statement..."

Schwab halted. "understandable. they did need to come out with something"

One nugget read is ~80% deposits are FDIC insured (under limit). Let's find out if a falling tide and sucking money vortex sinks all boats!

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Schwab unhalted, now down 20% today to 47.5

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Death By The Blues posted:

zion another pacific regional bank is eating poo poo right now too.

Yeah they're next in line judging purely by today's stock drop.

Comerica, keycorp, and regions financial are the next 3 biggest drops in the S&P500 today. Schwab isn't far behind number 5 tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

gold is money

end the fed

RON PAUL '08