Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

FlapYoJacks posted:

Sweeden:

South Korea:

France:

Italy:

Japan:

Whenever I see these shots the only ones I really believe are the asian ones, like SK and Japan portions look reasonable and stuff you can easily make in bulk. The rest feel like someone described the menu and they made a glamor shot for it. Literally looks like decent catering you'd be paying $$$ a head for. I mean an entire loving wedge of brie, half a pound of asparagus, an 8 oz steak, and some fruit for every kid every lunch in france? not a chance. Itally got like a 10 dollar portion of salmon there if you were cooking it at home and half a bag of grapes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

To be clear I'm not saying they don't eat stuff like that, from google searches though for example they don't get an entire 8 oz wedge of brie they get like a small individually wrapped one more like the size of a babybell or such.

is way different from

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Mirthless posted:

That's maybe two ounces of meat on the france tray dude. There's like 25 cents worth of brie on there.

Your post is like a perfect fuckin commentary on our slipping expectations as the american way of life evaporates in front of us

use the apple or kiwis for scale, that's a huge wedge of cheese and steak.

HallelujahLee posted:

thats leagues ahead of our garbage dumbo
Of course! I wasn't saying it wasn't or that they didn't have way better food/options than us. Lunchables would be a freaking joke.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

FlapYoJacks posted:

RE: Italy

Do you know how large grapes are by chance? lmfao

Yeah I pack em for my lunch all the time, I use a 2cup pyrex and it'd probably hold half that bunch.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

SKULL.GIF posted:

So to be clear, you're saying that this bunch of grapes here:

is 4 cups?

I guess that's fair, thinking about tray size they're probably small grapes and I'm being dumb. In my original post I more meant if you walked into a school cafeteria and took pictures of the kids food I think the SK and Japan ones would be p similar to whats shown while the others would still be a far cry better than american strogenoff and a roll or whatever but not entirely to the standard shown sorta like expectations vs reality when you look at advertised food in a commercial and then go to the restaurant itself.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Jizzny Princess posted:

Will the feds bailout the people once this implodes?

https://twitter.com/IwriteOK/status/1635331705249878016

no?

What if we compromise and they bailout the people who gave the bad loans.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Anyone getting into short term CD's with these record high rates? We had some money sitting around the last year or two cause it didn't seem like a good idea to park it anywhere near stocks or index funds with how badly our 401ks were making GBS threads themselves, just pulled the trigger on stuffing some in at 5% for 11 months and 4.5% for 19 months this weekend. I figure they might go up a bit more depending on how much the fed wants to squeeze interest rates, or maybe after the banks start crashing they'll back off and all these promo rates will evaporate.

Feels like relatively free money if you don't have the gumption to gamble on buying the dip or whatever.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

See this is ridiculous. I doubt an entire vineyard even can produce so many grapes in a season. I'd have to strap a chest freezer to my back to carry these to work.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

BULBASAUR posted:

putting into BOFA atm

BOFA was I think the lowest of the ones we checked, though tbf they didn't just give an upfront table for which term length gave what apy so we coulda missed in when just flipping through their drop down menus.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Credit Suisse thinking they’re putting on the original Gloria Gaynor “I will survive” but it’s actually the CAKE cover.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Remote work caused the bank to have an upside down portfolio that was insolvent?

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

I'm gonna take a guess and assume the article simply never answers or even addresses the idea that working hard doesn't get you rewarded anymore (if it ever did?) and this so pervasive that everyone knows it.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Thoguh posted:

I used to wear a Fitbit but I switched to an apple watch a couple of years ago and Fitbit is (or at least was) unquestionably better at being a health tracker but I've only got room on my wrist for one device and a full feature smartwatch that does a lot of things reasonably well serves me better than a fitness tracker that does just one thing really well.

I like my fitbit because it's battery lasts like a week rather than a day. It's nice seldom worrying about having to charge it. Also my job is kind of dirty and I'm p sure with all the scratches on my fitbit I probably would have already hosed up an actual smartwatch. One of the younger guys at work had an iwatch he just took on/off depending on what task he was doing and that seems kind of tedious to me.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Someone in the stocktrading thread in BFC was posting about having done nearly exactly this haha, though tbh it didnt seem like that unreasonable of a bet, a lot of the bank stocks rebounded after FDIC said that they'd have access to infinite money.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

It's kind of more amazing she got to the point where she was trying to rent out property and didn't know about it. Squatters rights is like a misunderstood legal meme on the level of the mcdonald's coffee burn tort reform nonsense. I think p much everyone has heard a "horror story" about greedy tenants that won't leave and trash the place at the landlord's expense.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Speaking of timing the market poorly I've just been doing bland 401k target date stuff for a while but have enough money kicking around to start up a roth ira and contribute for last year + this year too now, seems like if rates keep going up number might be stagnant or unhappy, if rates taper off or go down though number might Got my vanguard setup this weekend thanks to advice from BFC so it looks like after waiting a day or two for initial deposits to clear this might be my first foray in feeling directly responsible for my investments.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

What savings? The couple grand of stimi checks? The unemployment benefits that ended 2 years ago?

And honestly what wages? Sure I guess I saw a spike in the lowest paying jobs, like I saw fast food places in my area advertising as high as like 18 bucks, but that's still not enough money to have hoarded some sort of imaginary warchest. A lot of people even lost money, I know my wife's university cut salaries by almost 10% across the board, those never came back. My job didn't cut wages per se but they did put a freeze on raising them ("due to hard times") and changed various corporate policies that were all effective pay cuts nothing huge but just getting nickeled and dimed.

Did tech just boom so hard everyone's estimates are way off or is this just something all financial reporting has decided to lie about for reasons?

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Okay I did it, I threw last year's max contribution into a vanguard retirement account, officially ready for a crash.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Casey Finnigan posted:

yeah but it's interesting to see a dipshit like him acknowledge reality in terms of the failure of capitalism I guess. This poo poo is getting unsustainable and it's obvious to everyone

That's always a part I found strangely confusing I mean surely a big collapse would hurt everyone right. Proportionally of course the poor will suffer more but if you just grind america in a general sense down into poverty the rich people won't be as rich as they once were and that seems like it should be something they'd want to avoid?

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

I think a general problem with american culture is we've more or less enshrined more money = better than so unless contributing to something gets you personally rewarded not only is it not worth doing but it means you're bad at thing. It can be a pretty discouraging process so the people who are in it for the love of the hobby or craft or whatever probably are just gonna stick with doing it for themselves/friends/families where it feels more appreciated than struggling through years of being invalidated online.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

tbh it's kind of surprising more tech people haven't done that. People talk a big game about how city life gives them so much more access to x/y/z and they're not wrong but do most of em actually utilize it? Is some microsoft computer toucher really crawling bars on cap hill , hitting up live performances, reveling in the arts and culture available? Or are they just wfh/commuting to wherever in the GSA they could get property for a bit cheaper and living almost identically to people from smaller cities, putting all their fun money into deliveries and downloads. I grew up in and live a couple hours from seattle and could if I felt like it just take a long weekend there with the wife once in a while and that'd still be more engagement with the city proper than most of my friends who still live there. The person that truly takes advantage of metro life like it's some sort of sitcom feels like a unicorn, you don't have the money when you have the youth and you don't have the youth when you have the money.

My brother works for a major tech company and has been wfh for years and finally just pulled the trigger on moving and buying a house cause it's not like he used the city he lived in much anyways and the absurd rent was just pissing away money. It seems like the natural move for the bulk of people.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

*moves to Rural pennsylvania and is surrounded by heroin use and generational despair* "wow, it sure is cheap to live here and I'm so glad I moved"

Without posting my zipcode I can say my city gets a ton of tech transplants from the PNW area for the exact reason of lower CoL WFH lifestyle, it's contributed to skyrocketing housing prices and literally every development is just small neighborhoods of 750k-1.5m to accomodate the transplants but it's no surprise they'd want to live here because it's basically no different from living in a burb in the greater seattle area except the col is a small fraction. You have all the typical dog whistles about safety/schools/etc alongside the average amenities most people would use on a regular basis and If you really want something more cultured we're a roadtrip away from major areas, hell I've been to seattle and back within the same day and it's not unreasonable. There's certainly middlegrounds between meth havens and a full blown metro area and that's where a lot of these people are moving.

"A lot" may vary as a term but 1k transplants to a city like mine is a p notable swing even if 1k people leaving a metro area is a drop in the hat for them.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

I don't really think you're typical though and I don't think a single wide trailer on eight acres with fiber internet is really a thing in most of America. If I packed my poo poo up and moved out to the woods there would be very little or no internet options in this state. I get gigabit fiber here in my lovely neighborhood for $110 a month.

My brother pays that for 300mbit down / 5 mbit up cable

I think you're confusion stems from not understanding that these tech moves aren't like going to a town with a pop of a couple hundred or thousand but more to places sized like a college town which are still an order of magnitude smaller than a major metro area but still have access to things like a nice grocery store and fiber internet.

When you're looking at metro areas with close to or over a million and pop there's a lot of wiggle room in finding somewhere that has 25, 50, or even 100k that's still substantially cheaper without being literally the middle of nowhere.

Though to be fair we do get a lot of tumbleweeds here.

PoundSand has issued a correction as of 05:52 on Mar 27, 2023

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Casey Finnigan posted:

come to Newark our water only has lead in it

the sweet taste of freedom

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Why does everyone always mention balancing a checkbook as an example of practical skills? I was born in 88 and that's not been a relevant skill in my entire lifetime. My mom taught me how to do it with my first checking account/debit card cause I did summer jobs as a tween and was employed part time as soon as legally able but even then it wasn't really a thing you needed to do.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Why on earth does this thread seem to want more traffic enforcement? Traffic cops never do something nice like pulling over someone cruising in the passing lane, semis not keeping right, or someone jumping a solid white merge line early and cutting off 3 lanes of traffic they just nab someone going 7 over on a completely empty 70 freeway for seemingly no reason other than ticket revenue. World would be better off with 0 patrols on interstates cause they don't enforce anything other than speed limits in the dumbest manner possible.

e: like sure I agree people on the road are often idiots and in a perfect world it'd be great if the actually dangerous traffic infractions were punished but literally the only thing anyone gets a ticket for is benign speeding. I've not once in my life seen someone pulled over for changing lanes without signaling, or coming to a full stop in the middle of the road to make a turn there was a turn lane for (again without signaling), or any of the number of things that would actually cause a car wreck. It's just cruising at 5 mph over the limit and going past a bored cop or on a highway that routes through a podunk city that literally exists entirely off speed ticket revenue.

PoundSand has issued a correction as of 05:13 on Apr 1, 2023

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Do you not drive anywhere besides interstates
In town traffic is usually too congested to really speed that much in my experience. I mean a rando pedestrian might estimate that guy is going 50 but on your average 35 road you can barely do 30 because of all the people entering and leaving the road. But yeah I do a fuckload of interstate travel for work and none of the major could actually cause a fatal accident infractions I see are the kind that get enforced, literally the only enforcement is some cop sitting off the shoulder over a hill trying to catch people going marginally over the speed limit on the way down. They usually cause more issues even just by being there because suddenly there's a sea of brakes and weaving traffic to avoid being next to the shoulder where the cop is.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

But honestly I'm mostly baffled by you thinking they'd ever enforce traffic in a good way. Never once in my life have I seen a cop pull someone over who was doing something obviously dangerous and stupid. They mostly either nab benign but easy to prove infractions or harass minorities. It strikes me as incredibly naive to believe they're just gonna float around doing the right thing.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Griz posted:

idk why everyone thinks they have to panic brake when they see a state trooper camping in the median, the ones in upstate NY absolutely don't give a gently caress unless you're going at least 20 over.

I agree with you that staters are mostly looking for big fish so to speak but I've been pulled over (and not given a ticket thankfully) when going by speed trap towns for as little as 3 over. There are literally interstates that got diverted specifically through/by towns because the county wouldn't give them land otherwise, it's a straightup shakedown when you're driving in flyover counties. Why PFC wants more of this is beyond me.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

When I was coming back into town today some random contractor truck hadn't strapped their poo poo down and straight up dropped these big ol (hopefully empty) 55 gal drums into 70 mph traffic like some sort of donkey kong game. Straight up just rolling through the road as traffic weaved around it. I dodged one myself but didn't see any wrecks in the rearview mirror so I think everything worked out.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

The drill candle tweet except it’s credit card payments for frozen pizzas and hot pockets .

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

I always thought Taco Bell was the buy now pay later fast food of choice

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

lol what the gently caress do you think butter is made from

Looking at that list in a simplistic way it starts at raw stuff and then moves to stuff made from raw stuff then moves to stuff made from stuff made from raw stuff, and so on. Milk -> Butter is a shorter chain than plant -> oil -> Margerine.

Whether that's very important or not is well, *shrug*, but I think it's intended to be a simple guideline. It's far easier to tell people to shop mostly for stuff that's fewer steps away from harvest than it is to have them inspect every nutritional label and weigh the various macro and micro nutrients appropriately. FWIW the strategy I always heard growing up (and mostly follow myself) is to shop the "edge" of the grocery store because if you do a lap around the outside you're mostly going to be seeing stuff like fresh produce, meat, etc, whereas you head through the aisles and it tends to have more boxed/frozen ready made food that's easier to overeat or overall less nutritious. It's overly simplistic advice someone like you might get nitpicky about because of course you're going to have to go through aisles to get a variety of things even if you aren't snagging boxes of mac n cheese but the purpose of such a guideline is to push someone in a general sense towards better options rather than an absolutely rigid flowchart one must follow.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Watching people double down on the drive-everywhere multiple-cars-per-household lifestyle even as it becomes increasingly obvious that it’ll be too expensive for them to maintain sooner rather than later has been a real thing to watch over the past 10-15 years.

Who do you think is double downing on this? Two people work, work from home is not an option, public transportation in their area (pretty much all the US) is too lousy to count on for their work schedule, two cars are required.

That's something that needs to change top down rather than bottom up, people literally can't give up their cars as is.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

All the people that show up to bitch about the idea of expanding anything that’s not car infrastructure at public meetings across America, for starters

This city put four protected bike lanes in and the commuter crowd that doesn’t even live in the city threw a baby shitfit about it so we’ll probably never get any more done ever again.

Bikes are kind of a lovely solution to transportation issues unless the place was designed with bikes in the mind in the first place. We put in bike lanes here but our city is so spread out, most people's "commutes" are something that'd be unreasonably long for a bike, you basically only ever see people using them on their ways to/from parks with bike trails which is still a good thing but does nothing to combat what causes traffic.

Ironically the way our city is set up basically all the white collar jobs are in the northwest corner where there are a couple campuses that collectively employ a huge chunk of the area, and all the blue collar jobs are on the east side of town in an industrial district with a bunch of factories which also employs a huge chunk of the area, it'd be very straightforward to set up shuttle services from the residential chunks to these real dense places of work but instead we're just going to get feel good do nothing green solutions like more bike lanes.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Vox Nihili posted:

Andrew Yang's proposal was $1,000 for all... MINUS any benefits you currently received, including state benefits, food stamps, child aid, EITC, etc. That's how he made the numbers work. The result would be essentially a redistribution of money from existing benefit recipients to everyone else.

Not a single Yang supporter understood this.

To be somewhat fair just giving everyone a functional amount of money rather than means testing each aspect of it would be a step forward, breaking things apart into food stamps, child credits, blah blah blah is dumb in the first place. Not like it's gonna happen anyways.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Ominous

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

gradenko_2000 posted:

Imagine writing this and still thinking the TikTok ban is about security concerns

I wonder if the the majority of tiktok users fall in that 1-2 hour a day mark or it's like an alcohol thing where the 1-2 a day is the average of an incredibly skewed "most have like 0-2 a week, but some have like 12 a day" situation.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

the feds added sesame to the list of major allergens (you know, tree nuts peanuts, shellfish, wheat, etc.) and the entire food industry decided that rather than take steps to avoid cross-contamination, they were just going to add sesame flour to foods that didn't have sesame flour before so they could legally put it on the label

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wellness/2023/04/11/sesame-allergy-law-consequences/

capital always finds the shortest path
couldn’t they have just put the “may contain ____” labels on things and call it a day? Why was adding sesame a necessary step? I guess it’s been a while since I’ve checked but I swear I’ve seen “may contain tree nuts” on basically every package of peanuts ever (and vice versa), I thought that was just the standard method of not wanting to do a complete clean sweep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

euphronius posted:

goons often ignore all the protests Americans do. it’s kind of weird

It's cause the protesting americans do is very by the books and polite (regardless of how it gets responded to) so it's inevitably a nothingburger no matter how large the movement is or how long it goes on. 2020 blm was perhaps the largest movement in our lifetimes and all it did was give cops target practice for some time and get a DA to be our vice president, funding went up immediately. Other big one was OWS and all most people remember from it is the entirety of modern news sources and their neoliberal friends repeating that there were no clear goals or messages despite there being a dozen anyone who cared could rattle off over a decade later.

We don't have meaningful protest that results in actual concessions, we have drum circles and people snitching on each other for being instigators.