Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Mr Hootington posted:

I'm still loling at a group of economist having discovered 190 banks across the usa are in the same position as SVB

the simpsons skinner "am i out of touch" meme but skinner is american economists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Woke Mind Virus posted:

Would if Chili's

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

skooma512 posted:

Yeah on the other hand, this is a great opportunity for shenanigans.

Pirate Disney and HBO stuff with no VPN. Try to find unprotected or lightly protected endpoints in the network. Jam it randomly with deauth attacks.

hacking your neighbors and making the service bad for them doesn't seem like a good way to go

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

euphronius posted:

is AGI what they say now that AI didn’t work

it's the "ok it sucks now, but just wait until we solve all the problems" version yeah

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

skooma512 posted:

Is there a sci-fi story about an organization that tries to prevent AGI from being formed, like inverse Roko's Basilisk?

Dune

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

euphronius posted:

I’m reading about AGI and it’s laughable. they will treat a chat program that “acts” likes its conscious and intelligent as the real deal and don’t care if it is, actually. they can’t even hit this low bar

this made me remember the google engineer person who talked to a chatbot and got so afraid they had to make a mess all over the internet

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Real hurthling! posted:

i got an email from the dept of education telling me to tell any of my friends that got laid off that they should apply to be teachers if they already have a valid license

this is pretty crazy cause a teachers license is onerous and expensive to obtain and then needs to be maintained with professional development so maybe theres a decent number of people that got trained but left for a real job in some industry in the recent past and now they want to rehire them as teachers after they got laid off?

idgi otherwise

here in Virginia a teachers license takes like a few classes and passing a standardized test, and most districts will hire you and pay you to get it. it's maybe a few hundred bucks

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

skooma512 posted:

But getting shot in the chest by a 6 year old is considered an occupational hazard.

yes there are some downsides!

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Real hurthling! posted:

in ny it requires a masters in education on top of your subject matter degree, 3 paid state exams, classroom observation hours etc.

ie not something my random friends would happen to have.

every licensed teacher in ny has an m.ed? that doesn't sound right.

looks like ny has similar career changing programs to most other states:
https://www.highered.nysed.gov/tcert/certificate/rightpathway.html

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Being in the UK is already like being in jail

imagine the smell

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
one of the partygoers brought their laptop, loaded with skyrim beastiality rape mods, to the party, where the laptop was left open/unlocked, so it was definitely some kind of really bad nerd party

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
these days a lot of jobs like that may not technically require that you be military/a vet, but are basically impossible to get without a hiring preference (vet, already a federal worker, etc) working in your favor

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Capitalism is so loving stupid, dude. What are we doing?

number...............

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

MLKQUOTEMACHINE posted:

cant remember who posted it on these forums but:
"capitalism isnt about making the most money, its about making more than everyone else."

sums up the current state of things

wouldn't "the most money" be "more than everyone else"?

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
not if I win it first

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
*reading a memo from the NBC deep state department* ok folks, looks like this week's sketches are alaska airlines, jeffrey epstein wasn't murdered, and... hmm, a dog that can't stop farting

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

euphronius posted:

aren’t airplanes one of the last things the USA makes

airplanes used to be designed and built by a company and its engineers and mechanics and such. that was no good for the financials, so now airplanes are designed and built by dozens of affiliates, contractors, and subcontractors, all of which would never cut corners to boost profit margins

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

a helpful bear posted:

lol my former failure boss at a company of 2 full-time employees then chose his third hire as a guy right out of college for "sales" (he ended up doing all kinds of weird poo poo).

He gave him this book and aired the Glengarry Glen Ross ABC scene on a lovely projector in our closet-sized office

Small business owners rock

i worked at a bloomberg company for awhile a few years ago. the day one orientation included being given a copy of his book. i'm guessing the company has to buy them lmao

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

what is this about

scotus recently ruled 5-4 that texas can't keep federal border patrol from patrolling the border; texas law enforcement had set up weird saw traps and stuff and weren't letting CBP in

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Mr Hootington posted:

Yes. Texas wants to start killing migrants. The federal government doesn't want to do that yet.

yep

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

It should also be noted that they're definitely killing migrants in the area they're not letting the Feds into.

that's my assumption yeah

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

skooma512 posted:

And that's one more point for "Feds have to clean up after Texas police while they impede aid and are complicit in murders". DOJ put out a 650 page report on the last time this week.

maybe CBP and/or DHS could use another few billions for training and equipment? sounds bipartisan to me

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Zokari posted:

wanna meet the dude who decided to cut spending on routine maintenance for airplanes so that they could have a slightly better quarterly report

you're gonna have a lot of dudes to meet

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Glumwheels posted:

Idk maybe hire airplane experts to run an airplane mfger? Maybe having dipshit CEOs from random corporations on the board of Boeing isn’t helpful?

Seeing the same thing with other companies like Nike. Putting an idiot who doesn’t have experience with the category in the ceo spot and oh look, everything goes to poo poo.

sounds bad for number actually

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

In Training posted:

Is this like the couple of weeks after the Palestine OH derailment where there was increased media coverage of an already existing constant hum of infrastructure collapse. Or does this represent an actual uptick in failures.

yes. people are pointing out dumb airline maintenance poo poo on boeing planes that are decades old. there's only two big airliner manufacturers and most of them operating in the us are boeing

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Justin Tyme posted:

If China's aircraft industry follows their auto industry it's only a matter of time until Boeing gets thrown in the dumpster by their laurels

i find it hard to believe the us government would let this happen; i'm guessing boeing commercial becomes even more like a defense contractor (as much government handout money as needed to keep the lights on despite being terrible at doing anything real)

lmao at the bipartisan culture war bullshit that would erupt over "AMERICAN Airlines is buying CHINESE planes?????"

plus the military needs boeing to keep making their military variants

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
ben shapiro segment about the woke us military flying gay (french) airplanes

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Monkey Fracas posted:

The "DEI is responsible for someone not tightening the blots on the door plug/the plug blowing out during cabin pressurization" thing is a purely right wing media construction right? I don't think it would really work anywhere else because it sounds unhinged unless you've been living in that ecosystem for years

they made up some thing about how boeing only hires non-white people with cerebral palsy now or something, it's just garden variety lunacy

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Xaris posted:

airliners are also fairly big money losers overall but makeup for it in like mileage programs and doodads.

the way to be a successful commercial airline is to match your revenue to the rate of depreciation of your fleet; as your airplanes age you deduct the annual depreciation from your income so you keep a slim profit margin and very low tax liability

the airplanes themselves may not make money, but when you factor in their amortized depreciation (there are rules and curves about how you're allowed to depreciate different kinds of capital assets and they are very favorable and long term for big ol airplanes) baby you got a stew goin

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
yeah even really good qa is a stochastic process, so you do your "best" (depending on the definition of best specified by management) and cross your fingers

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
i feel like "install the several bolts holding in the door plug but leave them loose" doesn't save anyone time or money, so i expect this is more of an engineering process breakdown, where there wasn't good documentation of when/where/how the final plug work was to be completed. it's unlikely boeing mechanics were just deciding not to tighten some bolts, more like the engineers hosed up and didn't have anybody do the final work, and if there's no engineering documentation there's no qa check

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Salt Fish posted:

Hiring 14 year olds saves a ton of money. Their tiny little arms can't make much torque, but its hardly ever an issue.

it's not child labor, it's epheboployment

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

ElehemEare posted:

the scuttlebutt is that managers didn’t want to log a ticket in the official system of record because it would reflect poorly on their metrics, so they logged the work in a non-authoritative work tracker that indicated the door seals were replaced (which logically requires removal of the door plug) but didn’t trigger qa validation for the door replacement.

tier 1 helpdesk rear end metrics gaming

interesting. it's almost always management loving up in situations like this

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Truniht posted:

having a door fly off a plane full of passengers in flight is also costly

as long as (probability of door coming off) x (cost of door coming off) < (cost of making door not come off) then we're doin a heckin capitalism bay bee

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Spaced God posted:

It's so cool to me that aircraft are now in the same category as like bridges in America. Infrastructure so critical we just accept that it's going to loving kill everyone one day because to fix it would cost too many people money

always has been, it's just that now airplanes crash because execs are wringing every last penny out of the process. planes have been crashing for dumb reasons forever, it's just we had several decades of low hanging fruit like drunk pilots, nonexistent ATC, roofs blowing off, fuel tanks exploding, engines falling off, etc

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

they should have an airline that's like "there's a 50% chance you'll crash but we fly these fuckers so fast man"

they had the Concorde but even the French and British weren't dumb enough to keep that going

spacex is (claims to be) working on point to point rocket transport so they'll definitely fill that niche

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
it's just not time, yet

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Nonsense posted:

Corporations are smarter than everyone else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vudnMLzZjTg

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
and all you need to do is sign up for a credit card! that's a bargain if you ask me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
every time i've been to costco everything is more or less the same unit price as the grocery store but you have to buy 3-4x as much

also somehow every costco is at least a half hour drive from wherever you are, and they have the most hellish parking lots in the usa

saving a few cents per ounce on a gallon of mayonnaise vs a pint of mayonnaise doesn't really draw me in i guess

food court is good as hell though, that's for sure