Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Shipon posted:

the stupidest option is that this system goes back to "normal" despite the predictions of everyone in here and against all common sense that this poo poo cannot keep going as it has been

which is exactly what is going to happen

Probably going back to normal but with like 50% more systemic increased risk taking now that everyone knows "too big to fail" includes like, a larger regional bank

We find out in 3 years that this meant all regional banks started buying 10x levered inverse NFT funds last week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

skooma512 posted:

My current doomer pet project is to read r/teachers and other sources to gauge the collapse of the education system.

Someone said their kindergarteners are just straight up feral now and don’t know how to act around other kids so they just fight each other and try to use scissors as shanks. They don’t even group play or make friends at playtime, it’s all against all.

Also iPad kids barely even know how to play with actual toys and their idea of pretend is holding it up and saying “everyone subscribe!”

*stabbing classmate* hit that notification bell

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Al! posted:

i was thinking about when gpt takes off we're going to offload the part of our brains that knows facts because we will be able to ask the chatbot and get the answers at a B- correctness

Remembering stuff got obliterated by google years ago; What ChatGPT and its ilk are going to obliterate is the ability to even form a coherent train of thought since you can just smash an incoherent half-formed thought in and it will do all the work for you.

That's not even a question, it's not even a complete sentence, it's a series of grunts. And for ChatGPT, it's good enough.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

*grunts*

ChatGPT: spits out grade-appropriate book report

*makes farting noise*

ChatGPT: fires employee

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Frosted Flake posted:

My brother has been asked to do this by the university lol. To find each student's "best of their ability" and grade them on that.

Just plug their poo poo into chatgpt and ask it to grade them and give 75 words of feedback who gives a gently caress

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

If you only count people who can vote, they're not untapped basins of anything except reactionary violence

But if you count all the people who live there, an interesting thing occurs

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Harik posted:

the first hilariously stupid reason? we needed a bunch of people to crunch numbers in WW2 to hand-math the elevation & powder load for artillery and write it down in gigantic books so they could look it up in the field. so a lot of the dumbshit you learn in math revolves around being able to do ballistic calculations. It was obsolete before that directive even got started due to mechanical computers handling all that.

Yeah they should have gone all the way like the Russians did and had another book that told you how many tubes you needed firing how many rounds for how long to kill so and so number of troops and such and such number of vehicles in so large an area.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

OK, let's try this: in your opinion, what comes after joe biden ignores a scotus order?

can you walk us through a hypothetical scenario? suppose biden (or really, any president) says "my administration will not abide by the decisions of an un-democratic corrupt court, and therefore i have directed the department of education to carry on with implementing my order"

how many civil servants would be OK with it, instead of resigning enmasse?

how many red states (and maybe even purple states) would openly revolt?

what types of headlines would dominate the media?

which party would benefit the most from a major constitutional crisis single-handedly caused by a Dem president?

these may be too much to think about for your simpleton brain but please at least try

ok now do the same thing but in a 5-4 decision the supreme court made slavery legal again

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

clarification: it's chattel slavery. im well aware slavery in general never went anywhere.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

atelier morgan posted:

not being explicitly an asset on a balance sheet means the bank doesn't get mad and repossess the plantation-prison when you let an entire building's worth drown in floodwaters, you don't need insurance and when you drag people off the street you didn't have to pay anybody to buy them you just get them for free

throw in getting upkeep on your slaves being covered by funds you get from universal taxation and its much more profitable than ownership

I read a tweet a long time ago that prison slaves being capital assets that aren't legally treated as such means they will, ultimately, be the only productive capital left eventually after financialization destroys everything else

I still think about that

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Nothus posted:

there's probably little difference between snl's coked up human writers and whatever gpt shits out

[The stage is set with a backdrop featuring the Kremlin and the Russian flag. Ariana Grande walks out as the host of the show.]

Ariana Grande: "Good evening, everyone! I'm Ariana Grande and I'm so excited to be hosting SNL tonight! We have a hilarious show for you tonight, but first, let's introduce our cast and musical guest."

[Two current cast members walk out to cheers from the audience.]

Ariana Grande: "First up, we have the always hilarious Kyle Mooney!"

[Kyle waves to the audience.]

Ariana Grande: "And next, we have the incredible Cecily Strong!"

[Cecily waves to the audience.]

Ariana Grande: "And our musical guest who also acts, the one and only, Harry Styles!"

[Harry Styles walks out to a huge applause.]

Ariana Grande: "Tonight, we have a very special sketch for you. We all know who Vladimir Putin is, right?"

[The audience boos.]

Ariana Grande: "Well, tonight we're going to take a little jab at him. In this sketch, I'll be playing Putin's assistant, Cecily will be playing his advisor, Kyle will be playing a Russian soldier, and Harry will be playing Putin himself. Are you guys ready?"

[The cast members nod and the sketch begins.]

[The scene opens with Ariana sitting at her desk in Putin's office, shuffling papers. Cecily enters the room.]

Cecily: "Good afternoon, comrade. Putin needs to see you in his office right away."

Ariana: "What's going on? Is everything okay?"

Cecily: "No, it's not. Putin just found out that the ice cream truck is out of Rocky Road."

[Ariana rolls her eyes and exits the room. Kyle enters, wearing a Russian soldier's uniform.]

Kyle: "Comrades, we have a problem. The Americans are trying to hack into our nuclear codes."

[Ariana and Cecily exchange a worried look.]

Ariana: "What are we going to do?"

Kyle: "Don't worry, I have a plan. We'll send them a virus that will infect their computers and make them play Russian folk music."

[The scene cuts to Harry as Putin, sitting at his desk, listening to Russian folk music on his computer. He stands up and addresses the camera.]

Putin: "Hello, America. It is I, Vladimir Putin. I hope you are enjoying our little gift. We may not have the biggest army, but we do have the best hackers. And we will not stop until we get our Rocky Road."

[The audience laughs and cheers as the sketch ends.]

Ariana Grande: "Thank you so much to Kyle, Cecily, and Harry for being a part of that hilarious sketch. And thank you to all of you for watching. Stick around, we've got more SNL coming up!"

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I mean it's not funny and has a famous person talking too much in it so that tracks

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

skooma512 posted:

Nah, Americans have a lot of fun just shooting each other for annoyances. They don't care that the ruling class has no legitimacy or social contract and will never turn on them lol.

They will when the propaganda infrastructure stops working and not a moment sooner than that day

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

skooma512 posted:

Propaganda only works if you can watch it. If you're on the street because rent went up 30% and your jobs laid you off to make record profits, you don't have a TV to mainline this poo poo anymore. You can watch it on your phone I guess, but good luck paying for the data. Material conditions like living in a tent make poo poo just hit differently.

That's what cops are for

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Glumwheels posted:

The us has never given a drat about kids. It’s engrained into society.

No matter where you go outside of the US, people in other countries will go out of their way to help you out if they see you with kids. We have been waved past security lines, moved to the front of lines, etc whenever we’re out with our kids. In the US no one gives a gently caress if you have kids nd they’ll just complain and/or treat you like poo poo. Garbage country and society.

hey what about that time we had to reopen schools though what about that

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

silentsnack posted:

renting a child sounds like a terrible idea that would get suggested all the time in tech startup proposals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bqh_y-iH_Bc

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Spiking posted:

this guy def a re-reg account of that guy who used to astroturf the climate change thread in DND in like 2008 that carbon dioxide didn't exist

lol you can read my posts both in that thread and the biosphere thread if you want to see what i think about climate change

this is why i have continued eating two ribeye steaks every week: individual action no longer matters, which means i can finally stop judging myself, and enjoy life instead

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

why not three ribeyes

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

States are actively throwing millions off Medicaid right now as I type this and no one’s even making a peep out of it, it’s just baseline accepted misery. These negotiations are about getting some extra misery dumped on to the pile.

what are you going to do when your tenant cant make rent

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Jesus Christ what the gently caress Stanford?

This is all the opposite of what good evidence based leadership instruction is.

You were trained to be a mid level court functionary

They are being trained to inherit feudal titles

cat botherer posted:

Leadership is about power and getting rich. I'd say this is all very evidence-based if you want to do that.

It should be pretty obvious from the coursework where they sort themselves by status that this isn't about getting anything, it's about hoarding and guarding what's already theirs

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Being a collaborative, humane, humble leader of other human beings is effective if you want to pull a group together and accomplish things as a unit

Being a sociopathic narcissistic hoarder is effective if you want to hold onto and accumulate capital and entrench yourself in that position

Should be pretty obvious which is prevalent in the c-suite

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Bar Ran Dun posted:

it depends on the particular c-suite. it’s kindof amazing how much worse tech is.

Every new industry is filled with the worst form of robber baron executive and tycoon because you need to be a particular kind of cut-throat to cement your power when it is new and unsettled, those who follow follow are happy to coast on the dividends from what their predecessors stole. Same poo poo as when the railroads were first getting built out.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Rectal Death Adept posted:

yeah the only thing missing from the amazingly interesting and riveting 47,000 part saga of PFC-never-shuts-the-gently caress-up-about-Pittsburgh-housing was them becoming a landlord

the end of the arc is him asking for advice in BFC about evicting a tenant

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

see they tried to sell people on $5000 star wars vacations when they should have stuck with the Club Disney idea and been selling them $500 star wars spa days at an adult day care

We'll let you build a lightsaber for $5000

We'll let you report rebels to the empire for $5000

We'll let you try out whatever the gently caress "death sticks" are for $5000

We'll let you gently caress chewbacca for $5000

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Mola Yam posted:

how tf do you lose money on a $5000/2 night hotel

also last i heard it was booked out for months, did interest just evaporate after the first wave of rich dorks, or is this a case of "well it's extremely profitable, but not ludicrously profitable, so we should cut it"

Yes

Tiny market segment because of how they priced it

Hugely expensive to operate due to all the people roleplaying all the time so you can't just cut costs a bit and coast

Extremely regimented experience like gently caress you, you go do exactly all the stuff we want when we want for the two days and then you get the gently caress out

It's basically a 48 hour ride that costs 5000 dollars to get on and if you get tired in the middle you wake up at the bottom of the log flume with darth vader already dead and you can't see what happened or get your money back

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

captainbananas posted:

The fuckin trashcan of ideology, etc.

The freedom to autonomously decompose without state interference

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

lol we're ok with taking away all your options except this one and then will scold anyone who says that's bullshit and you're doing mass social murder as an autonomy stealer

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Cpt_Obvious posted:

When that maid poo poo comes to America it's going to have a pretty horrific. Convincing people to take the easy way out is going to have horrific consequences in a country with so many mass shootings. There people have literally nothing left to lose.

Not going to be anything medical, assisted, or suicidal about how the poor people get culled when America does it

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

How many hours in the Punishment Orb will you require before you autonomously choose to gracefully end your own life? The choice is yours!~

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I'm hearing a lot of comments that putting people in the Punishment Orb is leading to an increase in suicides but there's nothing we can do about the Punishment Orb, it is what it is, shikata ga nai, we can't take away people's right to choose death once they are within its horrifying confines

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Ardennes posted:

Assisted suicidal is simply unethical unless the patient is in a unbearable amount of pain or terminal and essentially nothing can be done about it clinically. Otherwise, it is a failure of the state.

Drake no: Assisted suicide because there is nothing within the power of man to be done to alleviate suffering
Drake yes: Assisted suicide because one man won't stop punching another and we've decided it's easier for that second guy to kill himself than to stop the first guy

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Psychopass except the cops have guns that vaporize you if you're judged unable to be happy with your present material circumstances

e: Psychopass except the cops have guns that vaporize you if your vaporization is judged to provide a net decrease in overall human suffering

The Oldest Man has issued a correction as of 19:52 on May 19, 2023

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Complications posted:

Psychopass except the cops have guns that vaporize you if you're not providing enough value to a boss.

Target value coefficient is 17.1 microelons, they have been designated as a negative value creating loser

the trigger has been unlocked, please aim carefully and lay the target off permanently

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

comedyblissoption posted:

did they poll canadians on whether they would support prescribing homes for homelessness

Centristishly Well that doesn't solve the problem now does it

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

i didnt understand how the metaverse looked so loving awful and cheap until i saw that video where zuck said the quiet part out loud that he wants content creators to come do all the hard work and he is just in it for the sweet sweet app store percentage

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Not a Children posted:

That's called leverage jfc

It's only leverage if your starting negotiating position wasn't "I agree with everything Kevin McCarthy said"

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

*deletes 1 dollar out of every 100 sloshing around in the consumer economy*

no big deal!!

hey those dollars are evenly distributed in both cases right

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

wow is it bad i just shipped a chatgpt scada plugin

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

have you tried kill the poor

what about raise vat and kill the poor

what about lower vat and kill the poor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Kesper North posted:

did you actually or is this a bit

because if you did i would love to hear more about what it can do, OT/ICS security is one of my hats

the day that's not a bit we're all dead