Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Milosh posted:

Where should I put my money? If it all goes to hell.

Ammunition and a water purification chip?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Orvin posted:

Is this going to be another day that teases doom and blood in the morning and winds up with markets +/- .05% at close?

That does make me think of an odd pattern I've noticed lately. Most of the actual price movement in the market now seems to happen overnight between close and open.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

We heroically achieved non-zero interest rates for several months, time to go back.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The banks are strong. Banks needing bailouts is normal. Also they aren't bailouts.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Shear Modulus posted:

gently caress it, bail out the crime bank
Wells Fargo is having issues?

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

dads friend steve posted:

I want oil to cost negative money again, that was v funny

It's getting there. Energy stocks are getting murdered this week. Many down like 20%

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

So the only smart move is to always deposit your money in the most degenerate bank possible to maximize returns knowing the Feds will always make you whole if things go tits up? Also, completely ignore the FDIC limit.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Maybe we shouldn't have a private banking system if it is constantly on government life support and needing immediate bailouts lest the entire economy immolate?

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

I am calling my congressman right now and demanding we bailout the European bank.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

too much woke capitalism. we need good capitalism again imo

just get rid of all the green-haired Stanford weirdos, bring back Trump and we'll be ok
The more old and WASPy your bank's CEO and board appear, the safer your money.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Supple economic demand

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Credentialism was a consequence of the Supreme Court deciding employers couldn't give IQ tests to job applicants. The whole modern college system with its barely disguised IQ tests at entrance and graduation are mostly an elaborate work around for this.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Delta-Wye posted:

if there is I N F I N I T E money at the FED

why the gently caress do we pay TAXES

Without taxes and inflation what would compel you to keep working at a job you hate?

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

CEOs of failed banks to be given a stern talking to

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

1bps

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Rates will go up, JPow will say some calming words, the market will jump 3% instantly.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

If Taiwan was lost the ghouls who run the Empire would do some deep soul searching and then invade Iran

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

One day we will remove the inefficiencies and just run the money printer directly into the toilet

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

https://twitter.com/zerohedge/status/1638632223321763845

drat, I wonder what AMC is up to. Maybe we'll see a resurgence in NFTs soon.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Haven't been thrown in the debtors prison yet

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

super sweet best pal posted:

I have a question about the banks: if deposits are only insured for up to a quarter million, why don't the billionaires spread their money around as many banks as possible and convert the rest into gold, silver, rare art and other miscellaneous treasure? Surely they have the resources to build their own Scrooge McDuck style money bins.

They're too lazy, dumb and cheap. But mostly their wealth and connections guarantees that they never have been held accountable for their failures and never will. The bailouts are guaranteed, so why bother wasting effort on diversifying or insuring your deposits.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Drug policy is the perfect American ideological synthesis. Grabs from both the deregulate and destigmatize instincts. And number of course always goes up.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

mastershakeman posted:

how does this make sense whatsoever. defaults aren't anywhere near what they were like a decade ago

They just write it off

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Sometimes democracy is an unelected body of untouchable lifetime serving aristocrats

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

almost 250 years later we can laugh at the foolishness of the French Revolution. Didn't they realize that present in the Parlement of Paris, an unelected body of jurists who courageously rejected the right of government to tax the nobility, they already had the true essence of democracy?

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

webcams for christ posted:

Blackrock CEO and Chairman topping off his rainy day stash and reducing exposure to his own company

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1649392681406087169
Must have been disappointed in their ESG score

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

I'm in favor of whatever harms the great satan

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

HallelujahLee posted:

didnt some poll show most people dont give a poo poo anymore

If put to a vote I wouldn't be surprised if a majority of Americans thought we should dissolve the entire government at this point.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

SKULL.GIF posted:

This is from the height of the dotcom bubble. 10x price-to-earning multiple, was seen as wildly absurd, insanely overvalued. NVDA is trading 20x higher against their earnings than Sun was back at the apex of the bubble.

P/E=10 is a reasonably valued company. The person you're quoting is referencing price/revenue, not price/earnings. Revenue is just money coming in, when you subtract expenses from it then you get earnings.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Real economic growth stalled out in the west during the 1970s. We've had a couple false starts and financial tricks since then to maintain the appearance of growth, but it feels like the bill is rapidly coming due.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Shear Modulus posted:

It did but then zucc laid off a shitload of people and teased a twitter knockoff and it hit a 52 week high today
If you bought META after the bad earnings statement last winter (~$90/share) you would have more than tripled your money since ($294/share today).

Watching one of the top 10 largest stocks in the world go from share price of $300 to under $100 and back to $300 in just a year and a half is certainly...something.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Gotta take the edge off the Adderall somehow

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

sullat posted:

Yeah the real tax scam is putting in financial assets into your IRA that you think are "only" worth a few thousand and surprise surprise they are actually worth a few million. That's how Romney (and others) get those nine figure IRA accounts.
It's just insider trading. Sure you can only move $6500 a year into your roth IRA, but you can invest that in anything and not pay taxes forever on the earnings. So buy some ultra cheap stock in a company that you know your private equity friends are about to pump up in value. Rinse, repeat, watch your tax free funds increase exponentially.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

SKULL.GIF posted:

What the gently caress are they doing lol

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1687116599978024960

I've never seen anything like this in the time I've been following this thread
A normal non-inverted yield curve should offer higher yields for longer durations as a time premium, however short duration (<1 year) t-bills are currently around 5.5% interest, yet 30 year bonds are still only offering ~4.1%. That's probably a low supply issue, if the treasury actually tried to sell a large number of 30year bonds that would probably reveal/drive up the 30year rates to ~6% and this would do 2 things:

1) bank problems due to banks previously buying 30 year notes at 1-2% interest. When current 30 year bonds are offering 6% interest, those old 1-2% bonds will be a huge unrealized loss on their books. The feds would likely need to bail out a lot more banks because the face value of their book assets will poo poo the bed.

2) the government's balance sheet will be a disaster too if they "lock in" long term debt at current rates. Having >$30 trillion in debt when you could borrow at 1-2% interest, is a whole different beast than at 6% interest. At napkin math that would be ~$2 trillion in just paying off interest every year. Compare that to the yearly total budget of $6.2 trillion.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Shear Modulus posted:

imo printing more dollars with the expectation that everyone would buy them forever probably would have kept working a little longer if the sanctions on russia didn't involve stealing all of russia's dollars

That and if you're going to wage economic warfare on Russia, it would probably be wise to have the Saudis 100% on your side to prevent an energy shock.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Vox Nihili posted:

their stock is up 7% today on "news" from bankers that basically boils down to some guy in a suit shouting "AI is a HUGE WINNER" and pounding his chest

it has already tripled on the year
Currently the 5th largest stock in the US based on a market cap of over $1 trillion. Just casually added $70 billion in market cap today.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

silicone thrills posted:

There is a single prescription medicine that helps your eyelashes grow thicker and faster.

I assume that sometimes people who lose eyelashes from cancer or whatever need it but the target audience is just fashionable poo poo like the botox for fine line getters.
It's a glaucoma medication that they found a new knockoff use for.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Willa Rogers posted:

Amazon also giving Mark Cuban a run for his money on the rx front:

Drug discount programs generally don't apply if the patient has Medicare or Medicaid coverage.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Maed posted:

can't wait to hear stories about people getting sent counterfeit insulin that was thrown in with the real stuff. you want cheap insulin? better enjoy gambling plebs

Not insulin specifically, but there is secondhand market of diabetic testing supplies. Pay your medicare or insurance copay for the testing supplies, resell the unopened boxes to one of the various websites for a profit. Remarkably it doesn't even seem to be illegal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Griz posted:

i see "CASH 4 DIABETIC TEST STRIPS" signs outside the walmart sometimes
The real money is in those new continuous glucose monitoring sensors (Dexcom G6/G7). A month's supply of those in retail costs $300-$500, but it looks like you can resell them on websites for ~$200. That's a good grift.