Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Femtosecond posted:

What I've been hearing is that there's a staggering shortage of industrial land (and I posted about this a while back in the stock thread).

I'm a bit nervous about how much of that may be demand for giant dot com distribution hubs of which demand may evaporate, but in general, looking around at how cities have been so eager to pillage industrial land to turn into shiny new residential condos, I would definitely believe there's a shortage, and where there's a shortage there is money to be made.

Blackstone REITs (among others) have had great success in industrial/logistics facilities over the last decade. From what I understand, you're right--increasing demand for industrial land near city-centers is outpacing new supply.

Speaking of which, I find this related chart very interesting:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
The collapse of auto ABS has been predicted for like half a decade now. I suppose eventually the bears will be right on it.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Hadlock posted:

I have not historically been much of a bear but in one of the AI threads someone posted a $150,000 corvette z06 new in factory shipping wrap that went for $100,000 over sticker on Bring a Trailer (BaT). To me that feels a bit like tulip mania and the (beginning of?) the edge of a collapse. I know boomers are awash in paid off real estate wealth but come on

Sure but like... there's a roughly zero percent chance that an auto loan written against that 'vette (if there was one, it seems pretty unlikely!) would end up securitized somewhere.

To be clear: new and used car prices coming down? Definitely, it's happening right now. Auto asset backed securities blowing up? I have my doubts.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Just for reference, if anyone's looking for a comprehensive (but not perfect) overview of the '08 crisis and what led to it, it's worth your while to read the 2011 Financial Crisis Inquiry Commission's report.

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/GPO-FCIC/pdf/GPO-FCIC.pdf

For a taste, here was one of their conclusions regarding the ratings agencies (with supporting material in the main text):

FCIC posted:

The Commission concludes that the credit rating agencies abysmally failed in their central mission to provide quality ratings on securities for the benefit of investors. They did not heed many warning signs indicating significant problems in the housing and mortgage sector. Moody’s, the Commission’s case study in this area, continued issuing ratings on mortgage-related securities, using its outdated analytical models, rather than making the necessary adjustments. The business model under which firms issuing securities paid for their ratings seriously undermined the quality and integrity of those ratings; the rating agencies placed market share and profit considerations above the quality and integrity of their ratings.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

bob dobbs is dead posted:

1. huge drought means agricultural production went and died
2. lovely currency controls mean that rich peeps have access to us dollars and poor peeps dont
3. arbitrageable blue vs ordinary market exchange rates (the peso - dollar exchange rate has expensive pesos in official market and cheap ones in weird randoes standing out on the street market (blue market) - which allows rich peeps w access to dollars to steal from the poor. venezuela had this going on a lot too
4. this arbitrage means that the currency controls always get tighter, as gresham's law holds and dollars become more and more difficult to get
5. they gotta pay a big-rear end imf loan and the bad adjustment of official rates is an offshoot of them having to pay it in usd. so thats basically the weimar germany move

so the arbitrage opportunity (for peeps w access to usd) exists because of the imf, but the ones who are actually soaking poor peeps and making that inflation happen are just ordinary argentinean rich peeps. you split politically w peeps saying the imf is ultimately to blame or that entire arbitrage opportunity being possible being to blame or the lovely politics that necesitated the imf loan in the first place. lotsa blame to point around

Forgive me for being somewhat off-topic, but I really like the post/avatar synergy here.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Bremen posted:

I took part in a big discussion of diet and weight loss a month or two ago and Ozempic came up a lot. I have to admit I wondered what the manufacturer's stock price was doing because a common mention was it's used as a diabetes drug, so many insurance companies won't cover it for weight loss, but some people were still paying like a thousand dollars cash a month for it. That kinda seems like the holy grail of modern pharmaceutical companies to me. Americans are rich and fat, the synergy!

Shares are up nearly 100% this year, and have quadrupled over the past five years:

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Hadlock posted:

I hadn't heard of this. Looks like it's an injection, but a daily pill form was recently put on the market this year (Rybelsus) and also costs about $1000/mo. Comparing that to birth control sounds about right

Google yields a bunch of different results on when Ozempic patents expire

Mylan Pharmacutical is claiming it ought to expire when Saxenda does, since Ozempic is a derivative of that drug, it would expire next year in 2024 (unlikely)

Apparently the pharmacuticla patent expires in 2026 in China. China's patents don't expire for 20 years (same as US?) and they just increased pharma patents from 20 to 25 years so I'm not sure why it expires so soon in China but lots of reputable news sites seem to be parroting the 2026 date (without reasoning oh why)

There was an excellent article I read a few weeks back about the history of semiglutide--it was developed as a diabetes treatment, the anti-obesity part of it started as an off-label use--but I can't seem to find it now. :(

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

DNK posted:

2.25% premium over fed funds (which, notably, is a non-callable, short-term rate being compared to a very long, callable rate) seems ridiculously low, but what do I know. There’s got to be sooo much more default and duration risk than 2.25 pays for, right? Why are mortgage rates so low?

Fed funds really isn't the best comparison--traditionally you look at mortgages versus the 10-year.

Spreads there are actually pretty high right now. The Richmond Fed has an article about it from a few months ago:
https://www.richmondfed.org/publications/research/economic_brief/2023/eb_23-27

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
According to Mortgage News Daily--no article as of yet, just the numbers--average 30-year mortgage rates hit 8.0% today.

https://www.mortgagenewsdaily.com/mortgage-rates

I cannot imagine current housing prices staying at these levels with these rates. Something's gotta give...

(edited because this post was previously just a tweet)

Agronox fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Oct 18, 2023

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

I can easily imagine it, and in fact I can imagine prices continuing to rise, because that's what usually happens:
https://advisor.visualcapitalist.com/historical-mortgage-rates-vs-housing-prices/

I see two things weighing against this:

1. Housing affordability is the worst it's been right now since the last bubble. Take a look at this, from the Atlanta Fed, which takes into consideration incomes, mortgage rates, and housing prices:

2. We're already seeing volumes dropping off, and with rates up another quarter point since the below I'd expect it to get worse:

Mortgage Bankers Association posted:

Mortgage applications decreased 6.9 percent from one week earlier, according to data from the Mortgage Bankers Association’s (MBA) Weekly Mortgage Applications Survey for the week ending October 13, 2023.

The Market Composite Index, a measure of mortgage loan application volume, decreased 6.9 percent on a seasonally adjusted basis from one week earlier. On an unadjusted basis, the Index decreased 7 percent compared with the previous week. The Refinance Index decreased 10 percent from the previous week and was 12 percent lower than the same week one year ago. The seasonally adjusted Purchase Index decreased 6 percent from one week earlier. The unadjusted Purchase Index decreased 5 percent compared with the previous week and was 21 percent lower than the same week one year ago.

“Applications decreased to their lowest level since 1995, as the 30-year fixed mortgage rate increased for the sixth consecutive week to 7.70 percent – the highest level since November 2000,” said Joel Kan, MBA’s Vice President and Deputy Chief Economist. “Both purchase and refinance applications declined, driven by larger drops for conventional applications. Purchase applications were 21 percent lower than the same week last year, as homebuying activity continues to pull back given reduced purchasing power from higher rates and the ongoing lack of available inventory. The ARM share was 9.3 percent, the highest share in 11 months, as some borrowers look for alternative ways to lower their monthly payments. Refinance activity was at its lowest level since early 2023. There is very limited refinance incentive with mortgage rates at multi-decade highs.”

Anyway, just something to think about. If either of us remember, let's come back to this in two years or so to see who was right.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
The US economy grew at a torrid pace last quarter:

Washington Post posted:

The U.S. economy grew by an annual rate of 4.9 percent in the third quarter, the strongest pace since 2021, as spending — by families, businesses and the government — accelerated, even in the face of fast-rising borrowing costs.

New government data released Thursday by the Bureau of Economic Analysis shows that gross domestic product expanded between July and September, capping five straight quarters of growth and eluding a long-feared recession.

The economy’s resilience is a product of a strong job market and extra pandemic savings, which have made it possible for people to keep spending despite inflation and rising interest rates. Robust government hiring — including 214,000 new jobs between July and September — also added to overall strength.

What’s particularly remarkable is that the economy grew so strongly amid the highest interest rates in more than 15 years, as the Federal Reserve tries to cool the economy down to curb inflation, which has lately been easing.

“It’s enough to knock me over with a feather,” said Diane Swonk, chief economist at KPMG. “We’ve had the most aggressive credit tightening from the Federal Reserve since the 1980s and, guess what, the economy’s accelerating. We really underestimated how much consumers could keep spending.”

That spending was broad-based in the third quarter, with U.S. households doubling down on both necessities, such as housing, utilities and prescription drugs, as well as luxuries including dining out, hotel stays and recreation. Businesses and the federal government also continued to spend, though GDP was dragged down by lower non-residential investments.

Overall, the latest spike in GDP is more than double the previous quarter’s annual growth rate of 2.1 percent.

article continued at their site

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

hypnophant posted:

Unless PCE is down to 2 tomorrow, there will certainly be another hike next week, and good odds of another in December. The Fed signaled it in September and they have not yet failed to follow through.

For what it's worth, the futures have an implied 98% odds of no hike.

That seems the right call to me, anyway--long rates going up as they have recently have done a whole hell of a lot of tightening work.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Hadlock posted:

Also apparently hardly any high school kids have jobs anymore. In high school 20+ years ago everyone had one job, and if you had a big family often you had two jobs, or at least mowed lawns on the side

These are from a vox article from 2014

Here are those two data series since:

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/LNS14000012
https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/LNS12300012

Which is kind of interesting in that it implies that there wasn't a huge change in teenage behavior compared to say, the early 2000s, just that the post-GFC recovery was freaking awful. In 2021 if you were a late teen looking for a job you'd have to literally go back to the 1950's to find a better environment.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
As an interested observer, could you clarify what you're actually arguing about?

I don't mean that to be snarky--I legitimately can't tell what the point of contention is in this conversation.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Thank you!

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
This is interesting:

WSJ posted:

Jury Finds Realtors Conspired to Keep Commissions High, Awards Nearly $1.8 Billion in Damages

KANSAS CITY, Mo.—A federal jury on Tuesday found the National Association of Realtors and large residential brokerages liable for about $1.8 billion in damages after determining they conspired to keep commissions for home sales artificially high.

The verdict comes in the first of two major antitrust lawsuits that target decades-old industry practices and seek to drive down commissions and change the way agents are compensated. The two-week trial involved claims by home sellers in several Midwestern states. The jury issued its verdict after just hours of deliberations.

Under antitrust rules, the presiding judge could triple the damages verdict, which would total more than $5 billion. The plaintiffs also have asked the judge to order changes to how the industry operates.

For several years NAR has been fending off accusations by U.S. antitrust officials and private litigants that it has conspired to keep home-sale costs high in the face of major technological upheavals. This verdict is by far the group’s biggest setback yet.

An NAR spokesman said, “This matter is not close to being final as we will appeal the jury’s verdict.”

It always surprised me how well real estate agents have been able to protect that 6%. Maybe there's a crack in the dam.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Bright Bart posted:

My apologies if I'm barging into a conversation, but something has been on my mind for years. I am just re-reading Yuval Noah Harari and he is hardly the only one sounding the alarm that all jobs including artists and architects and game designers and sex workers and politicians might be out of jobs within a generation. And that "robot technician" will not replace even some of these jobs as is oddly suggested by some (why would they??).

What I am unsure about is if that would leave humanity to just depend on handouts from the owners of capital or starve.

Well I guess it's worth noting a sci-fi short story that gets into the exactly the dilemma you foresee, Manna. It's twenty years old and not wonderfully written but I found it thought-provoking at the time.

But really, there isn't and probably never will be a shortage of poo poo that needs to get done in this country, whether that's building things or performing services or whatever. You may not get to pick and choose your ideal job, but most people can't do that already. If technological revolution results in massive involuntary unemployment, that's a failure of politics, not technology.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Inflation coming in pretty cool:

Headline CPI up 0.0%
Core up 0.2%

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I’ll have to play with that Fed page when I’m at a computer to see if I can get it to break out by income percentile.

There was an EPI study that contained this chart (which unfortunately stops at the end of 2022, but gets you some interesting info):

It seems at least anecdotally reasonable. I keep in touch with some people in those lower percentiles and the hot labor market has been boosting wages a lot, though more from quitting and doing something better than staying where you are and getting 5% or whatever.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
quote is not edit

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

When we moved there all three of the grocery stores with about 30 minutes of the house were owned by, two families, who slso had a lock on drug stores and iirc most of the gas stations. My mom was loving flabbergasted when she found out a loaf of generic whole wheat bread cost $2. Keep in mind this is around 1992 or so.

A few years later Walmart came to town, and with them came $.25 loaves of wal mart bread. There was a LOT of complaints about how the local grocers couldn’t keep up, how it was going to put main street out of business etc, but in the end they somehow managed to cut those $2 loaves down to less than $.50 without going out of business. Still not Walmart cheap but holy gently caress price cuts across the board.

It’s no exaggeration to say the standard of living in that area went way up.

Walmart is full of poo poo and causes tons of problems. They absolutely do undercut local business with the intent of becoming a monopoly and abusing that position in the future. But the people they’re loving in those kinds of super rural areas are frequently already fleecing the locals for everything they can, and often have been for generations.

Weird coincidence that you say this... After Charlie Munger died a few days ago, somebody sent me a commencement speech he made in 1995. He made exactly the point you make here: don't romanticize the local merchants, on the whole, net-net, Walmart ended up being a big positive for a lot of places.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

I think you are a domain expert but are really struggling to present a coherent, clear argument for why we see inflation falling off without an loss of jobs.

I'm kind of shocked no one has mentioned "productivity gains" in the last few pages, because that would be the easiest way to square that circle. Problem is, it's hard enough to measure it well in the US (particularly since the pandemic threw a lot of stats out of whack) and totally impossible in, for instance, China.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

It does seem like they ought to go after Tim Apple et al who famously get paid “$1/year” but we all know that’s not true.

Cook has been drawing a multi-miilion dollar salary for many years.

And, yeah, the majority of his pay package is actually those stock options, but he gets taxed on them, so...?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

hypnophant posted:

i think it's also worth pointing out that the BLS is huge and employs a ton of trained econometricians and statisticians whose job is to think about these problems all day. you're not going to do better as a guy with a laptop, you're not even going to do better as an independent academic with a lab and some grad students. you don't have nearly the resources.

Traveller, my statistics are too strong for you. You cannot handle my statistics.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

I forgot they still track tobacco lol

The price of Zyn is too drat high! :mad:

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
The FT's reporting is sort of vague about this, but there are apparently reports that the admin might try to block the buyout of US Steel by Nippon Steel.

https://www.ft.com/content/7ff471b1-a3c6-4d3d-bc45-eb482f81d74d

I guess the optics of the Japanese buying one of the companies who helped supply the war effort during WW2 doesn't look great, but that was a long time ago.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
It's probably inevitable that the US steel industry slowly divests from their BOFs anyway. Their emissions are vastly higher than EAFs and EAFs are more flexible.

US Steel is getting a large modern EAF online down in Arkansas. It's likely to be their crown jewel asset. The facility cost like $3b to build and with today's construction prices its cost to replace would be a lot more. I suspect that's why Nippon was really interested in the first place.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

hypnophant posted:

what's the japanese case for buying US Steel? it seems like they were willing to pay a pretty large premium over the other offers. Is US Steel complementary to their production methods? Is there some benefit to having a plant on US soil?

US Steel's proxy for the shareholder vote tips us as to what Nippon Steel was most interested in early on:

US Steel DEF14a posted:

On October 5, 2023, following discussions between representatives of Barclays and Goldman Sachs and NSC’s financial advisor, based on feedback from the Board of Directors, NSC submitted a written, non-binding indication of interest to acquire USS’s Mini Mill segment and its Keetac mining operations for an enterprise value of $9.2 billion or, in the alternative, to acquire all of the outstanding shares of USS common stock for consideration of $41.40 per share in cash.

That'd be the Big River (mini mill) facility I mentioned earlier and the iron ore mines (Keetac).

Come to think of it, that also points to a possible compromise, if the politics gets too heated; NSC buys Big River (which is non-union, and not in a swing state) and Keetac, and a rump US Steel keeps those union-contracted basic oxygen furnaces. I don't know if that rump US Steel would do well though. Big River was the future.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Hadlock posted:

Wrapping back around to the Nippon steel purchase conversation, if the US only has two blast furnaces for steel, would a strike there be crippling to a war effort? Detroit is a long ways from any nearby enemies but if steel production (or, pick your favorite defense industry feed stock) was at risk would that temper the desire to meddle in affairs elsewhere

Well just for clarity’s sake: there are two blast furnace operators, but there are more than two blast furnaces (though, at this point, probably less than two dozen).

The majority of American steelmaking is via EAF, and most of those are non-union, smaller, and better distributed throughout the country.

No opinion on potential wartime strikes. I don’t even know if they’d be legal.

(edit: lol just realized you meant drone strikes, not labor strikes)

Agronox fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Mar 20, 2024

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
I guess this is :goonsay: but the trick to cheap fast food these days is to always use the apps and, I cannot stress this enough, always pick it up yourself.

The McD app is great for getting free McMuffins, fries, and coffee. Right now over at Wendy's there's an NCAA promotion where you can get a $2 Dave's Double while the tournament is going on, and that's a fantastic burger for the price. Taco Bell has $5 or $6 value boxes that you can only order through the app. And so on...

Lockback posted:

I remember when small mom and pops could give you two slices of pizza and a fountain drink for under $5. That disappeared well before COVID and I feel like there was just a timer on when fast food would finally abandon that layer.

Even as late as early 2022 there were still $1 slice joints in the heart of Manhattan. (Maybe they're still around, I haven't been to the city much since.)

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Hadlock posted:

1. Could not find this blog post/commentary on their website
2. 7.0% seems... High

Yeah, that’s propaganda. I guarantee they know better, they’re just trying to score political points.

There’s an actual statistic that gets at what he’s pretending to care about, prime age empop ratio. (You need to control for age because otherwise “boomers are retiring” starts to look like “holy poo poo everyone is losing their jobs”)

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/LNS11300060

Take a look at the five or ten year chart.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
The Maestro! I'm shocked that he's still alive

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
I haven’t seen the stats lately, but Fed remittances to the US Treasury dried up as well. It used to be over $50b a year.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Hadlock posted:

So is small retail dead?

Did we build too many strip malls, did suburbia not grow fast/dense enough, or is this only temporary or what. I would guess 35% of small retail storefronts in my area are vacant

I think you might be overgeneralizing from local conditions. Strip mall vacancies are very low and so far as I know have been a pretty bright spot lately for CRE overall.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
From the perspective of the building as a whole it can make perfectly good sense to accept some vacancies versus lowering lease costs… some easy hypotheticals:

1. An upscale mall might keep a storefront vacant if the only alternative is, say, a 99 cent store, because your other tenants don’t want to be situated next to one and upscale customers don’t want to be around them either.

2. Apartments over retail has to be pretty careful with the retail tenants for similar reasons. Vacancies might be better for overall revenues versus renting to CASH4GOLD and weed dispensaries and scaring off your apartment tenants.

3. You might also find it more effective to have a few vacancies versus cutting your rents and then facing everyone who renews their leases wanting those lower rents as well.

Obviously a lot of this stuff is very fact- and location-dependent and maybe there are some retail vacancies caused through sloth or stupidity or whatever… but I doubt it’s a huge deal.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Femtosecond posted:

Probably one of the most significant causes is No One Has Any Money which is filtering down into less discretionary spending, thus killing retail and restaurants.

I do have to stop you right there. People have shitloads of money. Barring the pandemic stimuli it's never been higher!

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

If the economy is doing great but only a fraction at the top (even if it's a relatively large fraction like the upper quartile - you don't really have to just be talking about the 1% here) then yeah, a poo poo ton of people are going to look at things like rising prices of daily goods and their stagnating wage and not really feel like the economy is going great. Wall Street doing great doesn't matter if you don't have any investments.

Here's a report from the St. Lous Fed at the beginning of this year that puts some numbers to the wealth gap issue in the US. There are some interesting bits in there about the growth of educational and generational gaps in wealth, but the really stark issue is that 10% of the population of the US has 74% of the total wealth.

That's why huge chunks of the country still think that the economy sucks, even if the big economic indicators are doing great. Because for them, people who don't have a poo poo ton of investments, it does.

However, this is probably the first economic expansion in my life where income gains are accruing more to the lower-wage workers than the higher:

(Note, these are inflation-adjusted, so the guys at the top aren't getting pay cuts, they're just not necessarily keeping up with inflation.)

Anecdotally at least this makes sense. I know some people who went from minimum wage plus a bit pre-pandemic to 2-3 times that now.

And honestly I agree with the guy up thread that you shouldn't watch what people say, but what they do. Revealed preference shows that people have a lot of money, and they're very happy spending it.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Baddog posted:

All the while letting Kroger's buy Albertsons almost untouched.

The FTC sued to block this one as well.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Americans everywhere are demanding BEV El Caminos

Wait, just me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

my initial impression listening to the interview, which has been bolstered by reading the transcript, is that the essential problem michael is seeing is not so much an inherent function of passive or index investing, but that the last 40 years and the last decade especially have been a lesson that there is no alternative to equities for significant long term real returns, especially in comparison to the flatlining real value of your lifetime human capital. the regulatory and general philosophical shifts of the 70's and 80's which put a pointed emphasis on shareholder value over both management and labor, combined with increased access to the market, simultaneously allowed and forced everyone to become shareholders to an extent not previously seen

i can see how passive investing has helped facilitate this trend by offering a convenient vehicle to access the market, but in a scenario where there is a mass liquidation of 401ks it's hard for me to picture how there wouldn't be liquidity crisis leading to a historical market crash even if everyone was actively investing in an older style portfolio with holdings in a dozen or so in random companies based on some kind of fundamental analysis. to my mind if everyone is eating their seed corn the problem is going to be the extent of excess valuations and leverage, not liquidity

i guess if we hit a point where the withdrawals of retirees is greater than the contributions of the labor force there would be a long term liquidity problem, but again i'm not entirely sure how everyone holding bespoke portfolios would solve this

i'm not entirely sure what to make about the arguments that alpha is more difficult to achieve, because the whole reason index/passive investing is viable as a product is because achieving consistent alpha on an individual basis (even considering gross, not net) was so vanishingly rare that it was likely down to random chance

i don't know, i wouldn't be surprised if i'm missing something, but i don't see how it's passive funds specifically that are the problem here

This was from a few weeks ago but good post. I've thought about this before--equities having a sort of permanent weekly inflow that they didn't in decades past--but I'm not sure what you do with that.

I agree with you that I don't think passive funds are a big problem. If they ever actually become one it just incentivizes active management to "solve" it.