Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Eikon
Phoenix
Titan
Garuda
Ramuh
Shiva
Odin
Bahamut
Ifrit
View Results

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

I bought a PS5 so I can play this. The anticipation is killing me.

It's wild to me to me that we haven't had a proper Final Fantasy game without any weird development drama since FFXII in 2006. Fabula Nova Crystallis really hosed up the company for 15 straight years.

FF12 has extremely notably production drama. Matsuno left SE before the game was complete due to it. Yiazmat is an oblique reference to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HD DAD posted:

Remember that FFXIII started production in 2004 as a PS2 title. That was always wild to me.

I don't think it was ever intended as one, they just used FFX-2 as the baseline prototype when they were developing that combat system so early protoryping was done using PS2 software.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I will vote for angry rock punchman.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I fully expect people to twist themselves into knots trying to explain how FF16 is totally one of the shards from FF14 because it uses the word aether.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Didn't someone literally make this exact argument in the FF thread (or something very similar)?

Edit: not based on the word aether, but IIRC they were arguing that all FF games existed within the 14 universe

I mean *versions* of them are since like Xande and Fran and whatnot show up but they are explicitly not the same characters except when Lightning and Noctis made their cameos

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

susan b buffering posted:

there was definitely a very tedious argument recently about at least 12 and maybe tactics being in the same universe as 14 based on the ivalice raid series

Thar is bizarre because the raid is flat out about things being different because B'gnamnin sure didn't turn into a giant superdragon in FF12

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Meeting Yoshi P is neat but probably not $70 (or whatever it is in local currency) just for a chance at it neat.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Terper posted:

The demo is the start of the game and you can carry over the save, so it's more like getting a free appetizer before you start the main course :)

Is that true? That is gonna be a weird demo then but I suppose that makes sense

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Huh. Well, I suspect I know where it'd end then but that'll be a relatively meaty demo

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I hope they don't go too spoiler heavy

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The dark secret of FF16 is that it is only 2 hours long. The demo is the entirety of the game

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I feel like trying to define FF is more about tone than anything else. They are melodramatic action storied where even at the darkest friendship and courage can triumph over anything with a heavy emphesis on big world shaking stories.

Ff12 is probably the most 'grounded' one and it still involves a race of ancient supergods manipulating humanity.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So, genuinely:

When people say "get back to the core experience people love" I don't think they actually know what they are asking for. Are you asking for a party-based RPG? In that case FFVIIR and FFXV(post patches) both count. You have a full party of characters who you directly control even if you're only controlling one at a time. (Which would also apply to FF12.)

Are you looking for a turn-based RPG? Outside of FFX FF hasn't been one since the NES. They've constantly experimented with methods of making the games more action based. From ATB to timed hits to the various minigames for limit breaks to needing to time Squall's attack for the extra damage, it's always been something they experimented with and continue to experiment with to this day but at the end of the day they've constantly tried to mix 'real time' gameplay with menu-driven gameplay.

When people say FF is about the 'vibes' they're not kidding. FF has never kept to the same thing from game to game. That's one of the defining features of the franchise.

FF1 was the original, you had no pre-defined characters and set static jobs
FF2 instead had pre-defined characters with a greater emphasis on plot and basically nothing resembling jobs at all
FF3 went back to the FF1 mold but then added the job system which defined the game.
FF4 went the opposite direction and went back into a more character-heavy plot-driven storyline and swapped the gameplay from turn-based to the psuedo-action ATB system.
FF5 tried to mix FF3 and FF4, with pre-defined characters and a Job system but ended up focusing on mechanics and being relatively plot light, and the job system itself went from straight upgrades to different abilities entirely.
FF6 *again* swapped it back around and dropping the job system entirely, instead once again focusing mostly on characters and making each character super distinct (and usually tied to a job that existed.) This also started the franchise's trend of making summons into a source of power and a central focus instead of just a big attack.
FF7 is where they stopped swapping back and forth between plot and characters but dropped the job system in favor of a fully customizable materia system and made limit breaks a central part of the game (rather than the easter egg they were in FF6.)
FF8 dropped Materia in favor of GFs which basically its entirely own thing but it also began to ratchet up the action elements with timing-based attacks.
FF9 'went back' to the SNES days and was more of a mix of FF4 and 6 but also introduced an entirely equipment-based character customization system. It was however an intentional 'throwback' to the older days.
FFX went "You know, gently caress all that" and completely changed the battle system (becoming truly turn-based for the first time since the NES days), got rid of world maps, introduced voice acting, and basically redefined the franchise.
FFXI was a drat MMO.
FFXII once again revamped everything, changing to a psuedo-MMO real-time combat system and once again removed jobs in favor of an entirely new fully-customizable leveling system. (And then in re-releases went back on that and reintroduced jobs!)
FFXIII went back to the FFX style but shifted the turn based combat back to something more like ATB with more timing elements involved.
FFXIV was a completely different kind of MMO.
FFXV was a full-on action game with a single controllable character (until patches/DLC) and an open world

Which of these is the 'core experience' that FF was known for?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be honest I think "grimdark" doesn't really apply to FFXVI's setting any more than it does many others.

FF6 is set in a world ravaged by war where your first protagonist is a literal enslaved child soldier who breaks free and gets embroiled in war until the main villain literally destroys the world half way through the game.
FF7 is set in a cyberpunk dystopia where an evil corporation is draining life from the world and even once you escape that it's still pretty depressing
FFX is set in a hellworld where joy and progress are halted by the physical manifestation of religious guilt and people need to kill themselves to eek out even a year's peace.
FFXIII's world is just hellish and the protagonists are given a time limit to murder everyone they know or die.
FFXV's world is a decaying mess where horrible monsters appear outside any time it gets dark and the protagonist basically is on a game-long quest to kill himself while everyone around him suffers and dies.

Edit: And FFXIV's world has gotten better but holy poo poo at the opening was it dark to the point where fighting summons was a terrifying suicide mission where a significant portion of the people sent to quell the attack would get mind controlled and had to be mercy killed.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jun 11, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

cock hero flux posted:

it's pretty obviously ATB given that most games use it in one form or another, and people would probably also accept an FFX-style turn based system since it's functionally very similar.

6 out of 16 is 'most'?

Also FFX's system is literally entirely different. It is turn-based and is built around you having the ability to manipulate the turn order. It's closer to Grandia than ATB.

Edit: To be clear "ATB" comes in two forms.
"ATB" as in the battle system was introduced in FFIV and used until FF9. Modified versions of it were used in various spinoffs but since this discussion is about how S-E has 'forgotten' what people like, I'm assuming those don't count and we're just discussing mainline.

Several games use the term "ATB" to represent a meter filling over time mechanic but it isn't the ATB combat system. Parasite Eve, FFXIII and FFVIIR all use ATB this way for example but I somehow doubt FFVIIR 'counts' despite that. It's just reusing the term, but FFXIII for example uses the Command Synergy System and is pretty different from standard ATB. (You can take action before bars are full, you can instantly refill with timed swaps, actions take up chunks of your bar instead of it just representing an action, etc.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jun 11, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Xerophyte posted:

I think there's a pretty clear demarcation between 1-10 + 13, which are turn based-ish party based RPGs, and the rest, which aren't. 1-10 is a 15 year stretch and 11-16 is a 20 year stretch so it's not like that's some recent pivot, but there's some pretty clear "okay how do we actually make RPG gameplay work with what we want to do narratively?" workshopping going on in 12 and the 13s that ended with a decision of "we need to have more action elements".

I don't think it's very realistic to expect Squeenix to go back to parties and turns. Their focus for the series since 6 has been on delivering narrative spectacles that push the current tech boundary. You can like or dislike that, but no one is likely to make a triple-A game that's also an adventuring party RPG with an ATB-style battle system today; it just limits what sort of spectacle your game can deliver a bit too much. A FF16 with mechanics in the style of even 13 would need to be a smaller game, and Squeenix want the mainline FFs to be as big and bombastic as possible.

It's not like it's hard to find a recent party-based RPG with turn based-ish battles if you want one: it's just not going to be a maximum budget game with Final Fantasy in the title.

Personally, while I do miss the old systems in some ways because I am an old fart, I also enjoyed the MMOs, 12 and even 15 (well, the open world half; the final story stretch not so much). Stuff changes, so it goes.

Why does 13 count as party based but not 12? Or 15? Or 7R?

cock hero flux posted:

yeah, especially given that it was retrofitted into 1, 2 and 3 when they were rereleased. And I'd absolutely say 13 is ATB, given that that's literally what they call it in game(even if it functions a differently than normal).

as for 10: it's turn-based, yes, but it is functionally very similar to ATB. Turn-based systems and ATB systems are pretty similar. FFX plays a lot like an ATB system on Wait mode. ATB bars typically fill at different rates depending on stats/status effects/etc. and FFX's variable turn order accomplishes the same thing in a way that is presented differently. While not identical, they're close enough as to not put off people who enjoyed the ATB system. Something like 15, on the other hand, is not. It plays very differently to the point of being essentially a different genre.

They didn't add ATB to the old games last I checked.

Also FFX is not the same. It doesn't play like wait mode at all. Timeline manipulation is a huge part of it. It also isn't, you know, active.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

cock hero flux posted:

They definitely did to some of the rereleases but I guess they might have gone back to pure turn-based for the more recent ones, I haven't played those. My mistake, if so.

Yeah, it functionally does. If you added a window showing the player the order of the next 10 or so ATB bars that were going to fill up it'd be pretty much exactly the same, but that information is normally obfuscated from the player. X does the opposite, making it very obvious and giving you a few more tools to play around with to mess with the speed at which you and enemies get turns. This is already how the ATB system works, it just doesn't really tell the player about it most of the time. As far as activity: if you put ATB on Wait, bars do not fill and turns do not happen while a player is selecting a command. It is, functionally, a Turn that ends when you pick something. ATB has always been very, very similar to a turn-based system with variable turn order, which is why people did not really complain when the series switched between them.

Except, again' it doesn't. ATB shows the time to the next turn. Haste/slow/stop can adjust this and Quick can allow multiple actions in a single ut you can't adjust it any further and most enemies resist anything bigger than slow.

FFX allows you to manipulate the timescale using various actions. It isn't turn to turn but action to action. Tidus can take five actions in a row. That is in fact why they gave Tidus all those manipulation skills by default. It is central to the combat system in a way it isn't to ATB.

The only similarity is that you take actions from a menu in which case you can say Dragon Quest is ATB too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

cock hero flux posted:

It is turn to turn, though. It's just that Tidus can be fast enough, and enemies slow enough, that Tidus can take 5 turns before an enemy can take 1. Again, just because FFX gives the player more tools to manipulate turn timing doesn't mean that the underlying system is all that different.

ATB bars fill at different speeds. If, say, Cloud's ATB bar were to fill 5 times faster than a Behemoth's, then Cloud would get 5 turns before the Behemoth gets 1. It's the same, it's just that 7 doesn't give the player enough tools for manipulating the ATB bar to get more than like, 2 turns in a row.

Again by that logic any game with a turn combat system is ATB because you can extrapolate it enough. Even straight turn-based games still have character action speed based on the individual actions.

ATB is a distinct thing. That's the point. Like to point out S-E did this as early as Parasite Eve which used the ATB system despite allowing you to freely move around. Final Fantasy VIIR still has an ATB system. If FFXIII counts because they call it ATB then FFVIIR and PE count too, right?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

cock hero flux posted:

wait mode

any turn based JRPG with variable turn order is functionally the same as ATB on wait mode, yes

they CAN be functionally distinct, but FFX is not. Something like FF1, with its original turn system, is distinct since if I remember right that one was just "every PC takes a turn and then every enemy takes a turn", so the turn order isn't variable.

Wait Mode does not actually stop enemies from acting except while you have an action menu open. In FFX if you don't touch anything the game doesn't progress. For example in FFIX if you select attack but don't select a target the enemy will continue to act. It's actually very notable in FFIX because enemies will trigger their actions even while you're in a menu if they already were acting before you went in, to the point wait mode in FFIX is almost indistinguishable from Active Mode. (A common complaint about the game.) You are not safe during your turn even in Wait Mode unless you trigger the very specific thing that stops time. It was designed to make it easier to scroll busy menus, not to turn the game turn-based. There's also mechanics like Doom counters for which this is very relevant.

Like straight-up this is something people actually complain about. Time does not stop when your turn comes even on Wait Mode. It isn't 'true' turn based, it just slows time while you select an option. You know, like Wait Mode in FFXV or FFVIIR. Like this isn't hyperbole. People actively complain that "Wait Mode" in FF games isn't the same as turn based. Hell one of the options in the Memoria mode for FFIX is *making it actually turn based.*

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jun 11, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, an explicit point of each of those bosses is that they are there to show you the ATB system and how it is 'different' from normal RPGs. That is why they're the first boss in each case. The Wind Shrine boss in FFV does the same thing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

cock hero flux posted:

Okay, maybe there's a minor difference(which people complain about the existence of). But remember, the point you're trying to make here is: "People complaining about the direction the series have taken since 15 don't even know what they want, the series has always made big sweeping changes between games." Do you think the fact that there's a minor functional difference between ATB and turn-based(a difference which people, as you say, complain about)validates that idea the series has made this kind of big sweeping change before? Out of 16 games: 12 use either ATB or turn-based, 2 systems which are very, very similar. 2 are MMOs which use a fairly standard MMO system, since turn-based or ATB would not translate well to an MMO(and which garnered a somewhat different audience as a result). And then the last 2 are action games. Do you really think there's no justification for long-time fans of the series to be disappointed by the fact that it's taken this new direction? Are you actually saying that 15 and 16 are no further removed from 4-9 than 10 is?

Well, I wouldn't say that because among other things I don't agree that you should only be counting the mainline games when discussing the evolution of the series. There is a steady development of mechanics that exists not just in the main numbered entries but in their sequels and spinoffs too. FFX-2 set the groundwork for FFXIII which set the groundwork for LR which set the groundwork for FFXV which set the groundwork for FFVIIIR which set the groundwork for FFXVI. There is a *much* clearer follow through in how those games develop then.

Like Lightning Returns is the almost exact midpoint between standard ATB and action games. It is a single-character game where you have three ATB bars you swap between, with each one filling up separately, but it also has timed hits and just defends and rewards comboing and in general is a mesh of ATB and 'pure action' gameplay. If you don't pretend it and FFX-2 'don't count' then seeing how we got from FFX to FFXVI is a lot easier to follow.

cock hero flux posted:

thanks, this is basically a better way of making the same point

You missed their point. Each of those boss battles is a mechanic that explicitly isn't turn based. You have to wait for the enemy to drop their defenses. If you just take your action you'll get hosed up and if you defend it won't change anything except making you wait for your ATB bar to fill again.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spermando posted:

They just casually said that this was codeveloped with Platinum Games.

Oh yeah that explains a couple of things for sure. There are sone Platinum rear end moments in the game

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

They gave him a pretty lovely loadout there.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ohtsam posted:

The live combat demo was great and it was ballsy as gently caress to do live like that. They must have the game code really locked down and stable if they're willing to do that.

I mean the game comes out in a week. It is extremely done

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibblebibble posted:

I realised that I'm a bad defensively so I put on the Timely Dodges accessory and haven't really looked back. I'll probably slap the Torgal one on too.

To be honest I'd try to avoid it. You get a *lot* of defensive options and the ability to extend your perfect dodge window. I didn't experiment with it much but I think that only works with default dodge snd none of the other cool parry/dodge moves

Torgal one should be harmless tho'

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jun 12, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

I feel like the dog controls may have been a mistake. It's good that you get a way to make his actions automatic (though at the cost of an accessory slot), but I feel like it'll always be kind of unintuitive to try and split your focus between the dog's behavior and all the stuff Clive has to manage himself. And because of the way his abilities (or at least the attacks) have no cooldown, it seems optimal to be just hitting up or down on the d-pad constantly.

So it nay not be clear in the demo but Sic has a 'sweet spot' where it is far more effective amd that is used at the end of a Clive combo. Mashing the button is way less effective than a precision sic.

Same goes for Magic Burst which you can weave in between regular combo attacks for bonus damage with precise timing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Titan mode owns but seems particularly broken, not particularly slow, super high damage moves and block that is also a parry and counter and much easier to pull off than the actual parry?

Enjoyed the Phoenix magic counter move in the last boss fight too.

Titan is probably my single favorite in the game. The move it has that probably isn't in the demo is probably my single favorite move as well. It's just an incredibly solid build.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spermando posted:

Is it the parry into ora ora ora? It can be purchased in the demo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqeyWsFb8Tg

That is the one. It's amazing. The way it stops time and lets you go full Jojo is fantastic.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Torgal control issues aside, I'm actually pleasantly surprised by the combat being more difficult than I expected. I absolutely ate poo poo against Garuda the first time (though part of that is because I was constantly trying to do perfect dodges instead of just playing it safe and avoiding attacks by running around).

Something that wasn't as clear from the preview videos is that you can't just dodge over and over again, and the time window is small enough (even after I upgraded it in the skill interface - btw everyone should remember to do that during the Eikonic challenge mode - you can also try out an extra skill for each Eikon) that you really have to pay attention. Titan block also isn't perfect, since a non-perfect block against boss attacks seems to usually stagger you (so any sort of combo will hit you on the follow-ups).

edit: I feel like in practice the way I'm going to end up playing this is to have one Eikon form that is my "main regular fighting one" (with a circle ability that I like) and to just cycle through all of them blowing all their cooldowns whenever they're available. Dynamically switching to use specific skills seems like it'll be a bit much for my brain to handle (outside of situations like "boss is about to shoot a projectile, so switch to Phoenix for the anti-projectile thing").

(Tbh, part of me wishes you were limited to two, since with just two you don't have to keep track of which form you're using. While I'm sure you can get familiar with the specific order you choose, part of my brain will always have to think about things like "if I want to change back to _____ I need to hit L2 twice vs once.")

What I found myself doing was having an "aggressive" setup, a "Will breaking" setup and a "big loving hits" setup. For the first I pretty much always used Phoenix, Will breaking has multiple choices but Titan and Garuda are both good in different ways, and Big loving Hits was whatever I had that could deal the biggest damage during Break periods. (Usually one of the more cinematic attacks.)

It's kind of hard to just settle on one 'selection' though since there are a ton of different options.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Clive's mom takes an early head start in the "Worst Mom" competition to be fair. She is exceptionally bad at moming to young Clive.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Also, your life expectancy is really awful if youre a Final Fantasy dad. Square hates parents now that I think about it.

Thinking about it, of party members who are parents.
FFII: Josef (dies)
FFIV: Cid (survives), Tellah (dies) (Yang/Cecil/Rosa in the sequel)
FFV: Galuf (dies)
FFVI: Cyan (survives, family dies), Strago (survives), Shadow (Dies),
FFVII: Barret (survives)
FFVIII: Laguna (survives)
FFIX: Technically Vivi (seemingly dies.)
FFX: N/A (Wakka and Lulu in sequel)
FFXII: N/A
FFXIII: Sazh (survives)
FFXV: N/A

Not a great lineup TBH.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I was 100% surprised that Wade and Taylor were not named Biggs and Wedge TBH.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

red's implied to be a parent at the end of ff7 also!!!

Oh good point!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibblebibble posted:

It looks like every dominant has a powered-up-but-not-full-eikon form, you can see most of them in various trailers and suchlike. Joshua has it right before his full Phoenix transformation too.

Yeah this isn't really a spoiler' Clive's is his limit break.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Terper posted:

The game is essentially divided between two parts: mostly linear action stages with a branching path or room here and there that are built to be setpieces and can be replayed to get high scores to compare on leaderboards; basically just DMC levels.

In-between doing these stages you have moments of downtime in really big open field areas where you can ride chocobos, do sidequests and get lore, visit villages and outposts, and what have you.

To be honest FF14 is a close comparison

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arist posted:

I wish it had a history and didn't seemingly cap at five entries.

It can go more and you unlock the history in the Hideaway. (Trailers mentioned this before)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It'll be nice to get the Torgal minion in FFXIV.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There are non-hunt sidequests too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Clive was actually dead the entire time and is instead possessed by Joshua's soul who travels through time.

Clive is secretly a robot homunculus created to battle the forces of evil.

Clive is actually just a character in hit MMO Final Fantasy XIV and the entire world was a game the entire time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It is funny we've gone to Ifrit being the big bad in FFXV to the protagonist's meat mecha in XVI

Some other summon needs the spotlight! When is Leviathan's time to shine?