Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Eikon
Phoenix
Titan
Garuda
Ramuh
Shiva
Odin
Bahamut
Ifrit
View Results

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

mikemil828 posted:

If you have the ps app on your phone you can remotely tell your ps5 to download the demo

Wish I had known. I’m downloading the demo now, hopefully I’ll have some time to play after dinner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Holy poo poo I haven’t played a mainline final fantasy since 12, and I was not prepared for this amount of cutscene.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Missable loot tied to an invisible rating on a boss fight annoys me a lot more than just giving a rating (which would also really annoy me).

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Onmi posted:

The bonus is if you beat a boss hitless you get an emblem that does nothing that's like a "proof you did this fight hitless."

Oh, that’s totally fine. I’ll happily ignore the emblems.

I was thinking it was some kind of rating system and you’d get some kind of meaningful gameplay reward for a high rating, which I would definitely hate. I look forward to the game presumably really putting up a fight in ng+, but I don’t look forward to the game telling me I suck or I’m slow by giving me low ratings for every fight.

Heithinn Grasida fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jun 16, 2023

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Deified Data posted:

Combat gets passing grades from me even if I suspect there's not a ton of depth there

I’m a little skeptical of the combat (I didn’t play the bonus dungeon, just the story part of the demo), but I think the basics for depth are definitely there. There are all kinds of options for attacking and defending and tons of combos you can pull off. Of course, this will still require the game to face you off against enemies that actually demand some mastery of the systems.

What I’m worried about is that being good at the combat will partly come down to being really dexterous with the controller and getting really precise timings on things rather than planning, and positioning.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Books On Tape posted:

Yeah worried about that too. This is a loving JRPG series. Being good at combat should amount to how much I’ve built up my characters and planning.

It’s like everybody played elden ring/souls and wants to make their games like that now. It’s really getting annoying.

This is actually the opposite for me, where I love dark souls and want more games to be like that, but things like magic burst in this game are off putting, since I want the difficulty to come from choosing the right moves for the right situation without the additional layer of hitting buttons in precise sequences with demanding timing. I’ve never played a devil may cry game, but the combat in the demo made me think about why I’ve never been particularly interested in them.

I’m still getting the game for sure, SoP and ff7r persuaded me to come back to final fantasy, and I imagine I’ll still mostly enjoy the combat, even if not all of its trappings are “for me”.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

MonsieurChoc posted:

Clive is kinda like a reverse Gustave from SaGa Frontier 2.

Hopefully we won’t have to face the Egg.

I get Ramza Beoulve vibes from Clive, don’t know how long that’s going to last, but I quite like it.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

The game is extremely good.
It is far more Final Fantasy than it is GoT.
My one big complaint is that the actual equipment/RPG stuff is very barebones. You basically just keep equipping better swords/armor/etc with no thought and 90% of the accessories are (X) skill +10% damage/-2 second cooldown/etc. There are a couple that are pretty cool but most are fairly basic. Final Fantasy mode lets you upgrade almost every accessory but all it does is double the effect of the accessory. (So a -2 second cooldown becomes -4 second, +5% becomes +10%, etc.)

I saw in one of the gameplay videos that the player just randomly picked up a sword in a dungeon and I worried it would be like that. Do the skill trees and different eikonic powers make up for it to some degree?

I thought the producer said at one point that being able to plan out and set up combos like in ff5 was a design focus, which raised my hopes for strong rpg mechanics.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Skeezy posted:

Only thing I need to know with the weapons, do new weapons show up on Clive?

I don’t look forward to the inevitable eyesore ridiculous looking ultimate weapon.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

I think so.

Effectively you get 6 skill slots which are tied to three different and every Eikon has 4 skills, which (LOOSELY) translate to Single Target, Multi-Target, Utility and Limit Break/Summon Attack. By default you can only use a skill if you have the Eikon equipped but once you Master it you can equip it on anything. Limit Breaks cost more to Master than anything else but usually have significantly greater effects. (Though often significantly greater cooldowns.) You can respec at any time and reassign your points so there's no limiting yourself really.

I found myself changing up my skills a lot throughout the game to find what I liked most though by the end of Final Fantasy I'd effectively found a skillset that broke the game and let me kill anything that wasn't a Big Boss in a single Break window.

Thanks! How about the rate at which you get skill points? Does progression stay satisfying all the way through ng+?

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Danger posted:

drat the character interactions in this are so good. Like it definitely has like the violence of GoT but none of the cynicism if that makes sense.

Yeah, I played for an hour or two and that was my impression as well. I hated GoT’s cynicism, so I really appreciate it.

I feel really bad at the combat, but like I can just mash buttons and it really doesn’t matter.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Mainwaring posted:

The charge sword attack is nice but you really want to upgrade it because it massively reduces the hold down time needed making it way more usable

Yeah, that definitely feels like a priority upgrade since it makes it really easy to launch enemies with the jumping uppercut.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

What’s the advantage of the phoenix dash compared to Clive’s regular lunge other than to hit airborne enemies? Regular lunge into magic burst bullies light enemies brutally, while the Garuda pull generally just feels very versatile and useful all around. Does the phoenix dash have iframes?

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Megasabin posted:

I'm not sure I really get the combat in this game.

If we're talking just basic non-eikon moves, why do I want to do anything other than the 8 attack melee-charged burst combo? It seems to do by far the most damage and each charged burst hitstuns the enemy a little so they stuck in the combo. What's the point of wasting time charging up your sword or magic? Do I even have any other combo options other than the strictly worse 4-attack-melee combat where I just don't charge burst between attacks?

Since bosses don't really hitstun at all other than when they get fully staggered, boss fights seem to favor being defensive. Just dodge counter-attack over and over. You could be really aggressive but the combat becomes such a mess or particle effects, it just makes it harder to properly dodge the boss's attacks.

I feel like there must be another layer to this I am completely missing to the how the regular non-eikonic abilities are supposed to flow together.

Also, does the game actually tell you what changes when you master an ability?

As a final aside, it is a major pet peeve that the game cannot context sensitively register the difference between a button press & hold, so anytime you want to charge your sword, you have to swing it first, often into empty air.

I’ve never played a character action game and am bad at the combat, even though the game is so easy it feels like it really doesn’t matter. I actually had a game over on Clive’s shadow, though that was maybe due to changing the control scheme and constantly hitting the wrong button. But, for what it’s worth, here are my thoughts:

The lunge is really good. The magic burst after it immediately knocks down light enemies and sends them flying. It has good AoE, so you can lunge into a group, and easily split them up and bully them one by one with repeated lunges or lunge into shift strike.

The basic charged attack doesn’t feel great unless you charge it while doing something else, but the charged uppercut launches enemies and let you get off lots of damage in the air. Upgraded downstab from high enough also has a big AoE, so this is another good strategy against groups.

Charged magic is really good in boss fights, since you can charge while dodging, and the charged spell has a backstep with iframes that lets you deal damage while continuing to dodge.

I agree combat gets really unreadable if you’re being very aggressive, which makes boss fights slower than they should be. I think the thing to do is to play conservatively at first and just focus on dodging and ranged attacks, then once you know where the big openings are, use those to go nuts with aerial combos.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Mailer posted:

Parries are still random and no one can convince me otherwise. Same for weaving fire bursts in between every combo hit. Any statements to the contrary are Imperialist lies.

I can do the magic bursts perfectly outside of combat, but as soon as I need to hit something with them I screw them up constantly.

I really like the game, but light enemies have basically no way to threaten you at all, and most miniboss type enemies feel like punching bags. They take loads of damage and need multiple staggers to kill, but are lucky to hit you even once. I wish enemies had less health, but were like, 3-4 times as aggressive.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

I’m at the point of just having gotten the third set of eikon powers, and that feels like it will really open up the combat by allowing for much more frequent use of abilities. I’m still not really sure what the really expensive, long cooldown powers are for. I tried flames of rebirth for a while, but it competes with a lot of other powers and the cooldown is very long. It’s good, but I don’t know if it’s worth multiple uses of another power in the time it takes to recharge. I guess I should focus on upgrading more basic powers first and experiment with those once I have more ability points.

I keep going back and forth between liking the game and feeling disappointed by the lack of complexity. I guess later on I’ll feel like I can have more commitment to a certain combat style, but for now I’m choosing between powers, but the choices don’t feel hugely impactful, and I don’t really feel like I can make a “build”.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

negativeneil posted:

L3 + R3 ACCEPT THE TRUTH

I absolutely loved that. It condensed the game’s bombast to a single line and it was perfect. I think I’m not really the target audience for final fantasy anymore, but sometimes the game has its moments.

FuzzySlippers posted:

The game definitely could use more build options (at least where I'm at after a couple kaiju down).

More than MMOs or other FF this game feels like a linear contained Dragon's Dogma which ain't a bad thing, but it could definitely use a bit more of the build variety and rpg crunchy in DD.

Since this world is pretty cool too maybe we'll see a FF16-2 or whatever with more system refinement.

I wonder if part of it is just feeding you powers a little too slowly. With 3 eikons I actually sort of feel like I have a build, and I imagine with more available and once you can start mastering abilities and such there will be a lot more decisions to make.

Definitely wish there were crunchier rpg systems, though. I wish equipment at least had some meaningful choices attached.

Heithinn Grasida fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jun 24, 2023

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

FZeroRacer posted:

ease of gameplay doesn't make them a basic RPG though, that's the thing that's orthogonal to your argument. a game doesn't have to be particularly difficult in order to offer up a indepth RPG experience, and that's why FF5 actually works so well because bosses are designed in such a way that multiple party variations can figure out different tricks to overcome them. it's sort of similar to Symphony of the Night which is exceedingly easy to break, but offers a ton of variation in content that you find and discover. that said you're right that a lot of FF games released in a state where bugs and stats literally did not work, but that's more of an issue of coding process than design lol.

That’s true, though I wonder if the basic rpg elements are on purpose. At the point where I am now, a while after getting the third set of eikon powers and going to blow up the second mothercrystal, I feel like if the game had serious rpg elements, it would actually need a different difficulty level to account for people with system mastery. The combat has a lot of depth, but the depth mostly exists to let you stylishly clown on spongy, but non-threatening punching bags. If you could optimize a build, you’d probably just tear through everything without really engaging with the gameplay at all. Although, come to think of it, that’s wherw Stranger of Paradise’s endgame ends up with good build optimization, and I love that game, so maybe it would be fine.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

I was planning that very same thing. Will’o’the’wykes and lightning rod are both awesome.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Failboattootoot posted:

I did the science and it was immediately unimpressive, at least against regular enemies, I will report back with how this works on something with a stagger bar when I find it.

Both will’o’the’wykes and gouge are mediocre at health damage but tear through will (especially gouge), so I would definitely expect this to work better against heavy enemies. Lightning rod does really mess up light enemies if you bait them into hitting it, though.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Failboattootoot posted:

I did the science and it was immediately unimpressive, at least against regular enemies, I will report back with how this works on something with a stagger bar when I find it.

I just tried this and wiped out a pack of mooks before I even knew what happened. I didn’t use gouge, though. I used wicked wheel instead. I think you need the upgrade for lightning rod or else the AoE is too small, but will’o’the’wykes does make lightning rod go absolutely nuts.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Ibblebibble posted:

Honestly I kinda feels like the skills already all feel like different FF jobs? Like Phoenix is a standard warrior, Garuda is very ninja, Titan is like if a monk was a tank too. You're right in that it could stand to affect the weapon attacks more too, though.

Yeah, switching between Eikons has a little bit of a feeling between switching jobs in SoP. I don’t really think the game needs different weapon types or jobs; the Eikons offer a lot of variety. I do think the eikonic powers need something like a choice between two different upgrades to give the player a little more of a sense of but maybe that’s because I still only have three Eikons and am very limited in how I can mix and match my setup.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Charged magic is also a backstep with iframes. You can weave them between dodges to deal damage when bosses are doing long combos. You can also just start a a boss fight by throwing magic at it for a minute or so to see its moves and learn its timings while still being able to do damage.

And you can do a lot better than basic combos for maintaining aggression and doing damage. Aerial combos let you avoid lots of attacks, and with stomp, garuda’s deadly embrace and air dodges, you can stay in the air and keep attacking safely for way longer than you can on the ground. There legitimately are a lot of context sensitive ways to use even the basic elements of the combat system to your advantage, it’s just enemies are typically sluggish and predictable, so mostly the only reason you need to is to win fights more quickly.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

JBP posted:

5 waves and super short cool down owns. I love it, great ability and easy to use.

It has great range and AoE just as a normal attack in regular fights and does massive damage in boss fights as a counter with very forgiving setup and timing. Heatwave is great.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Is Torgal’s pedigree a rough approximation of how far you are through the game? I think it’s at 4 bars out 10 and I’m a few hours past the first point of no return.

I wish I had time to no-life the game. I played a lotthe first two days, had only a couple hours yesterday and won’t have time to play today. I’m going on a month long trip in less than 2 weeks, and it would suck to not be able to finish the story before I go.

Ytlaya posted:

I wonder if another Eikon will have an alternative to Garuda's "pull an enemy down at half stagger gauge" ability.

Even if one does, the sheer versatility of being able to pull down light flyers, suck in distant enemies, jump while attacking in the middle of a combo and mess enemies up at half-stagger seems way better than either of the other eikonic feats I’ve gotten so far.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Thanks! Then about how far am I through the story if I’ve (very minor spoiler after getting the third set of eikonic powers) just met Clive’s uncle? It feels like the real game has just barely started and I have a lot more to go.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

JBP posted:

I don't know what torgal pedigree means and I am on my way to the fourth crystal.

Torgal has his own little status screen you can view from the menu with a “pedigree” rank. Mine right now is “Fangs of Ruin”, and he’s at 4/10 ranks.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Not to be a jerk but the first and second part of this are connected. If you're just spamming attacks on cooldown you're leaving an incredible amount of damage on the table. You can deal so much more damage if you properly combo moves together and make sure to use Magic Burst and such.

I don’t think it’s unfair to criticize the game in this way, though. The combat system does have a lot of depth, but the encounter design absolutely lets players fall into a trap of either playing very safely and slowly, or not using making use of the tools they’re given, but not being punished for doing so other than by boredom. The game would be better if it were not afraid to let the player lose if they don’t play well. Again, I’m still not far through the game though, so maybe things change and later boss fights really make higher demands on the player.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Captain Oblivious posted:

In fairness, the early part of this game is absolutely glacial and AP is scarce enough that before the disc 1 point where you have three Eikons, the combat is kinda dry.

It starts to really pop off after ‘disc 1’ but it’s a long loving road to get to that point. The game barely feels like it’s even begun til Hideaway Mk 2

I’m not far past that point, but the game does feel a lot better after you get the third set of eikonic powers.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

I wouldn't mind the game being harder but I don't think the game being harder is going to encourage people to play more aggressively and risky. If you're playing super passive when the game isn't hard enough to demand it, why would you suddenly play less passive if a mistake means a game over?

Yeah, that’s an issue, but I think some boss fights do this pretty well. Clive’s shadow for example has some combo timings that catch up just hanging out at range. You get some big openings and you can do a lot of damage during stagger, but attrition is a problem if you’re bad at dodging. Playing it safe in that fight didn’t feel better, because if I missed or screwed up a big damage window, I increased the chance I’d screw up dodging and take a big hit.

The combat is at its best when it almost feels turn-based. If enemies have periods where you have to react to them and missing dodges is dangerous, then give you periods where you can demonstrate mastery of the combat system by doing as much damage as possible, with the ability to skip or deny certain enemy turns through parries or clever aerial combos, then you’re motivated to use the tools given to you when it’s your turn. There have definitely been a few boss fights that feel like this so far, and they’re great, if not super challenging. The issue is, in most fights Clive is so mobile, and the enemies are so sluggish, that it just feels like it’s always Clive’s turn and you can’t lose, you can only get bored.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Crunchy rpg mechanics are nearly a must for me in games, bombastic plots with loads of cutscenes are not my thing, and, though this is my first experience with it, I find I DMC style combat to be much less fun than souls like combat. But for some reason I keep thinking about playing this game more than anything I’ve played since Elden Ring, even if there are loads of details I can find about it that I don’t like. Maybe the strong focus on the characters combined with just enough complexity in the combat and skill systems to keep me thinking about trying new things really work together to grab me. Now I’m really annoyed that I couldn’t play yesterday and only had time for about 30 minutes today.

One question about just after the first crystal:If the hideaway is in the dead lands, how does Kupka turn into Titan when he destroys it? Is that a plot hole, or does it get explained somehow?

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Just played from the 2nd crystal to getting the 4th set of iconic powers. drat that was good. The loving drums before fighting Hugo were amazing, and both the big boss fights were really cool and fun. The game is very good.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

I just finished the fight with (spoilers after getting the fourth set of eikonic abilities) titan. I, uh, actually didn’t like it. The screen was a mess of particle effects in later stages and it was really hard to tell what was going on. The first phase of the fight was really cool, but the second went on too long and the third just felt unnecessary. I liked the eikon battles before this, even if they felt gratuitous, but not this one.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

That’s just wild to me. It’s about as hard as those games for me after I have hundreds of hours into them, but it’s way easier than my first time through either.

I’m generally more satisfied with the difficulty now. I feel like it’s a little harder than ff7r, but much easier than any souls or niohlike I’ve played. Since the game comes across as a power fantasy, I feel like that’s okay. Clive is not struggling against impossible odds, he’s just straight up the strongest fighter around.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

I’m leaving for a month long trip in one week and the ps5 says I’m 58% of the way through the main quest just fought titan. I think there’s no way I can finish the game before I leave and it sucks.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Not sure how much time I’ll have to play in the next week, but I might just start bailing on side quests and praying.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Gologle posted:

The past page or two the spoilers have basically just been about the Eikons and their abilities, which I personally don't feel like spoiling because they were in the promotional materials, but I'm also not the type of person who cares about spoilers anyway.

Speaking of, I definitely feel like some of the earlier abilities are crutches that shouldn't be kept all game. Looking at you, Ignition and Gouge. Every single ability is good for when you get it, including them, but man, they start to show their age by end of midgame. I'm almost, but not quite, leaning toward putting Lightning Rod in the same category, I feel like if I was better at the game I wouldn't be abusing it so much.

Spoilered just in case people want to explore Eikon move sets on their own.

I’m just after getting Shiva, but gouge still feels really solid for use with deadly embrace after semi-staggering an enemy to really tear through their will. I stagger enemies much faster with it than without. I feel like lightning rod is fantastic. I’m using it with flare breath to either clear crowds of mooks pretty much instantly or build the stagger multiplier very quickly once an enemy is staggered. I imagine I could be doing better, but lightning rod, flare breath, gigaflare then judgement bolt as a stagger rotation is really easy to pull off and reliably deals 60,000+ damage.

Shiva’s eikonic feat feels stupidly good. Even if you don’t land the precise dodge, dodging through enemies and stopping them makes it a lot easier to react to their moves. Too bad most of the normal moves seem to suck so much. Mesmerize into rime into lightning rod does clear mooks even faster than lightning rod into flare breath, and I guess something like rime, will’o’the’wykes and lightning rod could build the stagger multiplier really quickly on bosses while leaving you free to use other abilities. I can’t find any good reason to use ice age, and I haven’t had the chance to try diamond dust yet.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

The Grimace posted:

The O ability for the third Eikon you unlock is very unwieldy. Even after you confirm your targets, you still have to go through the animation for the attack, which is more than enough time for an enemy to start walloping you. I can see it being fun to use if it weren't so slow to move and target, but as it is, I feel like every other Eikonic Ability knocks it out of the water.

It can be nice for big groups since you can sweep across multiple enemies and apply lots of charges at once. It definitely feels like the weakest eikonic feat, but the rest of the kit is super strong.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

I’m skipping all hunts and side quests since I only have 3 more days to play the game, with limited time each day, before I go on a month-long trip. It really sucks, because as much as I wish the game were more complex, overall the combat is really good and I wish I had time to actually explore the game fully. At least I have a really complete new game+ play through to look forward to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

I just got the last Eikon and if groups of light enemies were speed bumps before, the only function they serve now is purely decorative. Instantly dropping a big crowd of mooks with zantetsuken is never going to get old, though.