Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

when mom tells me bedtime is 8pm that's just gonna make me want to stay up later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

got me 50 ounces out a bird in this bitch

FilthyImp posted:

Yeah, I see a lot of, like, oppositional defiance being the snag point here.

I think, as others have said before, that the repeated going to bat for the right to say those things is kind of weird, as is the sense that if you don't personally like the rule it's dumb and fail and deserves to be a mocking point?
why's it weird

that's how women got the vote

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

waah we were forced into lovely trolling because of the punishments a bloo bloo bloo :qq:

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

could you say what that specific problem is? otherwise this seems like bad faith over-generalising of every poster who thinks they are bad

Bugs.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
If it were a reaction against, say, "16bb is confined to only the groversub thread and now has to link to it if they post elsewhere in GBS" then it makes sense as the directive is targeted and unfair.

-- for the record, I don't thinknthat post about making 16b a pet was earnest and the joke didn't land for some.

That's pretty much what happened when the IZ copyright thing blew up, if I recall correctly.

This seems less cut and dry about it?

The fact that you've cut those words out of colloquial use on your own, but now feel ok to use them is probably the point that doesn't connect for me, personally.

Sudsygoat
Jul 19, 2013

Seth Pecksniff posted:

So here's the situation

In terms of threadbans, I'd refer you to the rules of this thread, specifically the one about non-GBS regulars who come in here. All are welcome to give advice, but it's explicitly laid out that threadshitters get hit hard. This is literally the only thread in here where I want to keep it semi-civil and try to work out disagreements or explain what's happening without the usual suspects going around doing their thing

For the probes, we had those queued days ago and just today an admin decided to run the queue. If there was nothing queued up then I definitely would not have gone back and hit those posts after the fact. I'm not a fan of going back and hitting older posts (unless they're egregious). Ours wasn't the only one backed up; there were a lot in the queue

This is 100% stupid as poo poo. "non-gbs posters" also include people who read but don't post much. I'm going to admit not a big poster, especially not in GBS, partially in my case because GBS has a history of probating for drawing attention to things like the deviant art and applewhite threads, because gbs mods dont do a loving thing about them until QCS/SAD brings them up as problems and then an admin and cleans up the mess and gbs mods say "well someone else cleaned our mess up, problem solved".

the reason I say this is stupid as poo poo is that you cater to applewhite and deviant art poo poo by putting "posted a lot in GBS" as a high point when GBS has just accepted horrible crap as normal

I guess to put a succinct point on this, GBS has a gigantic loving backlog to clear up before calling people out for threadshitting

Sudsygoat fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jul 16, 2023

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I feel like it's worth noting that when 16bb, dongicus, et al got threadbanned from blizzlols it just made things worse. When the ik was told harsh probes for breaking the theadban would no longer be approved and to just mock them back and throw around sixers, it made the atmosphere of the thread much less lovely.

What I'm saying is that theadbans for trolling make threads into insular and hostile echo chambers. That's not to say that threadbans shouldn't exist, in The Boys thread there was one guy who caused constant derails trying to argue that Stormfront isn't really racist but they should be used very sparingly.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkFMJ4-ai1I

Fish on.

More Anheiser less bush

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

SirSamVimes posted:

I feel like it's worth noting that when 16bb, dongicus, et al got threadbanned from blizzlols it just made things worse. When the ik was told harsh probes for breaking the theadban would no longer be approved and to just mock them back and throw around sixers, it made the atmosphere of the thread much less lovely.

What I'm saying is that theadbans for trolling make threads into insular and hostile echo chambers. That's not to say that threadbans shouldn't exist, in The Boys thread there was one guy who caused constant derails trying to argue that Stormfront isn't really racist but they should be used very sparingly.

Yes we need the the load bearing trolls that keep the thread's roof from collapsing and trapping all the people inside the Amazon Prime echo chamber

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

Toxic Mental posted:

Yes we need the the load bearing trolls that keep the thread's roof from collapsing and trapping all the people inside the Amazon Prime echo chamber

good contribution not proving points at all

threadbans are bad because if the person isn't regular banned you can 1. investigate why only 1 thread has issue with them 2. just hit ignore 3. scroll by and not reply

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

With blizzlolz the secret was actually chasing off Asema by training them to FYAD.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

FilthyImp posted:

If it were a reaction against, say, "16bb is confined to only the groversub thread and now has to link to it if they post elsewhere in GBS" then it makes sense as the directive is targeted and unfair.

-- for the record, I don't thinknthat post about making 16b a pet was earnest and the joke didn't land for some.

That's pretty much what happened when the IZ copyright thing blew up, if I recall correctly.

This seems less cut and dry about it?

The fact that you've cut those words out of colloquial use on your own, but now feel ok to use them is probably the point that doesn't connect for me, personally.

i like to decide what I'm gonna say and what words i will use to say it, don't agree with the arguments used against saying them, found many to be more offensive than the words used, and think the overreaction to it has been a display of some of the most performative cap-A Ally old-person "in this house we..." poo poo I've ever seen & think the people being prodded at for it deserve to be because in my eyes that garbage is pathetic, more or less

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Terrible Opinions posted:

With blizzlolz the secret was actually chasing off Asema by training them to FYAD.

She actually stopped posting there long before that when she received a single sixer for being ridiculously aggro.

But yeah that also helped.

The point is though that threadbanning and ramping punishments (even to a ban+30 at one point) just made people troll harder. If someone is making the thread unreadable with image spam or massive walls of text or something then they should absolutely eat punishments for it but mild trolling should never warrant anything more than a sixer to shoo them off.

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jul 16, 2023

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Threadbans should be an absolute last resort for someone doing poo poo like making a thread outright unreadable but not really doing anything worth a ban/perma.

I get that there's not a lot of active mods, but I don't see anything wrong with dropping sixers for light trolling and leaving it at that.

FirstnameLastname posted:

it's true

if someone makes a rule and I don't agree with it, I'm going to want to break that rule even if its something I'd normally never do

personally id actually stopped calling stuff gay or aids entirely irl and online for years until people started crusaidsing against it on here, now i live for that poo poo

that's how you encourage it

nobody would have done anything if people didn't massively overreact to it, the overreaction is what draws it in

u attract more aids with vinegar than with honey

Man, I think the aids drama is stupid as gently caress but "don't make rules because then I'll want to break them" is pretty dumb too, imo.

Trolling goons for being oversensitive is fine, but its lame to bitch about probes after.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I dont think all the undue hostility aids in discussion

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

i like to decide what I'm gonna say and what words i will use to say it, don't agree with the arguments used against saying them, found many to be more offensive than the words used, and think the overreaction to it has been a display of some of the most performative cap-A Ally old-person "in this house we..." poo poo I've ever seen & think the people being prodded at for it deserve to be because in my eyes that garbage is pathetic, more or less

it is also that making someone who says vile, bigoted things mad by using the no-no words invented to harm me is never not funny. that's not everyone in the argument of course, but a good reminder to consider if idk telling a queer person they can't say gay isn't the move?

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

How in the holy gently caress are we supposed to know that you specifically Douche Wolf 89 are queer and not just some edgelord

How is anyone else supposed to know that I am black

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Toxic Mental posted:

How in the holy gently caress are we supposed to know that you specifically Douche Wolf 89 are queer and not just some edgelord

They just told you

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
this whole discussion is gay and never ending

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

The douche part seems accurate

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Deki posted:

Threadbans should be an absolute last resort for someone doing poo poo like making a thread outright unreadable but not really doing anything worth a ban/perma.

I get that there's not a lot of active mods, but I don't see anything wrong with dropping sixers for light trolling and leaving it at that.

Man, I think the aids drama is stupid as gently caress but "don't make rules because then I'll want to break them" is pretty dumb too, imo.

Trolling goons for being oversensitive is fine, but its lame to bitch about probes after.
I've got no problem with rules, I actually like rules when they are reasonable, clearly defined, and consistent because then it's easy to tell what's okay or not and i don't have to second guess what i do or say

I don't like rules that seem unjustified or nonsensical, for the inverse reason

idgaf about probes, im not the one getting em. I think the long ones, threadbans and days-later punishments are dumb though and only escalate things.

the modding side of it isn't the real issue i have with the whole thing though, the reason i started saying anything on it was this kind of stuff from the people taking a hard stance against it:

Cousin Todd posted:

Some of the arguments in defense of using gay/aids as an insult here read an awful lot like this tweet to me.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

like the fact that people are still stuck on the fact 16bbh called a submarine aids and gay, but nobody seems to think that kind of stuff is a problem worth discussing here, that nobody seems to have much issue with rust martialis repeatedly bringing up GRIDS and The Gay Disease to accuse people who aren't straight of being homophobic because they said "aids" while people itt are still acting like the real problem is the people who said "aids", is such a logical, moral, and linguistic disconnect from reality that I can't help but call it out

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

this whole discussion is gay and neverending

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

i don't like threadbans but they are useful where a forum is full of insular megathreads where each one develops its own clique, posting style and rules

also not a fan of those megathreads but that is how people seem to be posting here

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

GBS has been fine for a while, outside of the wierdos who really love latching onto any opportunity to get mad over the smallest nonsense imaginable.

As a big ol' queer I'm happier with slurs staying banned, and the people who are *really* invested in their right to say specific words are way more off-putting than the words themselves are. Allow the words but ban the people wanting to say them.

As someone who reads a ton of the forum but very rarely posts anywhere it mostly just feels like people can't stand that one part of the forum isn't identical to other parts of the forum.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

ArchRanger posted:

GBS has been fine for a while, outside of the wierdos who really love latching onto any opportunity to get mad over the smallest nonsense imaginable.

As a big ol' queer I'm happier with slurs staying banned, and the people who are *really* invested in their right to say specific words are way more off-putting than the words themselves are. Allow the words but ban the people wanting to say them.

As someone who reads a ton of the forum but very rarely posts anywhere it mostly just feels like people can't stand that one part of the forum isn't identical to other parts of the forum.

Queer is a slur, sir (and or ma'am)

But I agree with you. GBS seems fine, for the most part.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

Queer is a slur

lol. thanks for protecting the LGBT& community

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

like the fact that people are still stuck on the fact 16bbh called a submarine aids and gay, but nobody seems to think that kind of stuff is a problem worth discussing here, that nobody seems to have much issue with rust martialis repeatedly bringing up GRIDS and The Gay Disease to accuse people who aren't straight of being homophobic because they said "aids" while people itt are still acting like the real problem is the people who said "aids", is such a logical, moral, and linguistic disconnect from reality that I can't help but call it out

That post rightfully got the user banned, I don't know what's there to discuss? I agree with them being banned for that kind of poo poo. And I agree that "aids" isn't really a slur on it's own, though there's definitely reasons why some people might be sensitive about it.

There's definitely a link to assholes using it as a pejorative against gays but it's insanely clear to me that it's not what 16bbh was doing so I find this whole thing stupid as hell and I don't know why it's still a thing.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
gay is not a slur and queer has been reclaimed and is not a slur update your queer lore noobs

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

lol. thanks for protecting the LGBT& community

i'm an & ally

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

Toxic Mental posted:

that sounds like more of a you problem than a me one? i do it by considering that some posts can be in good faith.

for example archranger's is a good example of why I generally don't use these words as a joke in mixed company, or on the forums usually. i don't find posting aids to be especially funny or enlightening, AND i find the switch people did from "special ban someone for trolling" to "it's because of their homophobia" disingenuous especially w the genuine homophobia that went unpunished or parroted

Edit: also lol this was my reply after suggesting using the ignore function. is it my job to post what slurs i can use every time i post, or is it yours to assume good faith / click the ? button for context before replying?

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

as far as bad words, consider reading in good faith? mb the person has some right to use it, and you should reflect on your own language.

*was put on probation for something else in that which is way funnier*

Douche Wolf 89 fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jul 16, 2023

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

harsh punishments for very mild trolling cause the trolling to escalate because its funny. this is why threadbans dont work because they can be easily exploited to make the mod who handed them out look stupid when they start probing and banning people for innocuous posts
For some of the mega threads, which you may or may not like (,but that is a different issue) threadbans work exceedingly well. They should be used sparingly and always as a last resort. The alternative would be constant almost chain probing of the poster(s) in question, which will lead to "pet" accusations. Your argument against threadbans or longer probes for that matter seems to be that some people do not like them on principle and therefore will come to that thread to poo poo it up too. So basically extortion. I'm not sure if that's how anything should be run.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i think it says a lot i get a more hostile and weird reaction from very mild trolling in gbs than i do any other forum on this website lol
Well, that different sub-forums have different posting cultures is not really a groundbreaking insight. What works for FYAD does not work for D&D for example. What does it say specifically about GBS that your type of "mild trolling" is not very popular here and why is it a problem in general? Do all sub-forums have to have the same posting standards?

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Toxic Mental posted:

loving shame on you. According to his posting history, he's also autistic.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

why's it weird

that's how women got the vote

lmao are you really comparing yourself to women fighting for the right to vote?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

this is a weird post lol

Tarquinn posted:

For some of the mega threads, which you may or may not like (,but that is a different issue) threadbans work exceedingly well. They should be used sparingly and always as a last resort. The alternative would be constant almost chain probing of the poster(s) in question, which will lead to "pet" accusations. Your argument against threadbans or longer probes for that matter seems to be that some people do not like them on principle and therefore will come to that thread to poo poo it up too. So basically extortion. I'm not sure if that's how anything should be run.

Well, that different sub-forums have different posting cultures is not really a groundbreaking insight. What works for FYAD does not work for D&D for example. What does it say specifically about GBS that your type of "mild trolling" is not very popular here and why is it a problem in general? Do all sub-forums have to have the same posting standards?

i dont really care about megathreads unless they are being really weird i think threads should be rebooted every so often just to keep them from forming their own insular culture or get moved to CCCC the forum for weird insular threads. every forum has a different subculture and thats cool but gbs is just weird now and i dont think its weird in a good way which is why this topic keeps coming up. gbs is just very insular and hostile these days and its not really a good general discussion forum anymore either

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jul 16, 2023

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
I give up
I defended GBS in SAD AGAIN and if I get banned AGAIN for doing so I swear to God I'll scream and join Twitter [jk but aarrrrggh]

Just post this isnt hard wtabsolutef

Spinz fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jul 16, 2023

Sudsygoat
Jul 19, 2013

Spinz posted:

I give up
I defended GBS in SAD AGAIN and if I get banned AGAIN for doing so I swear to God I'll scream and join Twitter

Just post this isnt hard wtabsolutef

If you get banned for defending gbs youll join the site owned by a known horrifyingly bad transphobic racist?

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i dont really care about megathreads unless they are being really weird i think threads should be rebooted every so often just to keep them from forming their own insular culture or get moved to CCCC the forum for weird insular threads. every forum has a different subculture and thats cool but gbs is just weird now and i dont think its weird in a good way which is why this topic keeps coming up. gbs is just very insular and hostile these days and its not really a good general discussion forum anymore either
Well, GBS is the most populous sub-forum and most of the regulars seem to enjoy the state it is currently in and do not like people coming in saying "GBS bad". There will be an instinctive push-back to that. That's probably true for the all sub-forums (or on a bigger level, cultures in general).

However, I do think that GBS still kinda is the forum where most new posters start first, to get their bearings and the general forum where everyone should be able to discuss pretty much anything. Therefore it should be as open to all posters as possible, without descending into a 4chan style chaos. Can you define "weird", or is it just a gut-feeling? This is an open question to all.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

it's true

if someone makes a rule and I don't agree with it, I'm going to want to break that rule even if its something I'd normally never do

personally id actually stopped calling stuff gay or aids entirely irl and online for years until people started crusaidsing against it on here, now i live for that poo poo
Have you ever considered that this is a you problem and not a GBS problem? This goes for half the complaints in this thread but it's more obvious in this case.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

:spergin:

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

we need a gbs feedback thread feedback thread

all the poo poo from the past week is about stuff said or probes in this thread and not anything actually happening in the forum itself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Buschmaki posted:

I dont think all the undue hostility aids in discussion

lol, i see what you did there