Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

50 year old ex-con who has never used a computer before and is supposed to be unfamiliar with the internet suddenly writing multiple paragraphs with few spelling or grammatical errors and getting really angry at a gbs mod

this is actually not that far fetched

the rest is but that part lines up lol

old ex cons who get released are like half hella nerds by the time they get out from doing nerd poo poo to not go insane or be wrapped up in gang/prison culture poo poo, they just look scary

whole lot of time to read in prison and you get really good at understanding systems of authority

the thing thats a tell for me is he doesn't write like a boomer - they all write like boomers, and i don't see one pointlessly trailing ellipses

they also will generally use proper capitalization and grammar from writing/reading hella letters for decades

the ones who are subliterate generally don't get out, they're not able to stay out of trouble, because the only way to stay out of trouble in prison is to read a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Fajita Queen posted:

Being a good ally by insisting that gay people treat aids the same way that Reaganites did in the 80s ftmfw

Fajita Queen posted:

Saying something is aids in the same way as saying something is cancer is not disparaging gay people, it's saying aids sucks rear end because it's a horrible disease that kills you, much like the posts that people are calling aids. In like a decade people will be doing the same thing with covid. Hope this helps.

Fajita Queen posted:

Also the people having mini meltdowns about it are some of the biggest dipshits on this website and making them get mad over nothing is extremely funny, so I applaud the brave forums soldiers who have given their lives for the cause.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Autisanal Cheese posted:

This series of comments should be highlighted more because it is the most relevant argument here. If you're attempting to defend my honor as a gay man by fighting back against the bad word "AIDS", spare me. If you really want to fight for the cause do something more useful with your time, there are many organizations and charities that would appreciate the help. What's that? You're suddenly not interested in fighting homophobia? gently caress off then.

Using it as an excuse to fight forums enemies because they made you look bad is reprehensible.
agreedo

also i feel like at least half of the ongoing argument about language has far less to do with any perceived homophobia or misogyny or ableism or opposition to those things than it is thinly veiled classist virtue signaling to show who's the most enlightened and Non-Problematic - because when people say things like this, and what faijita queen said, there's no response whatsoever

it reminds me of tumblr poo poo where sheltered knowitalls compete to see who can take the most offense on the behalf of groups they aren't a part of or involved in the struggles they pretend to champion - except when they can call someone a chud for something

FirstnameLastname fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jul 9, 2023

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Bad Purchase posted:

yep, make fun of the south parkers but no need to probe, can we wrap this up?

reasonable compromise to me

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Which raises a good point, namely why should we tolerate "first grader poo poo" in the first place?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

yeah dont edit people's posts except imgtags in nws stuff

not just bc of this but smugworth doesnt appear to have the temperament to moderate something as serious and high stakes as the general bull poo poo feedback thread(this is my feedback)

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i think the threadbans are a bad idea both because thread bans traditionally dont work outside the politics forums and because its just going to bringing negative attention down onto the thread and gbs causing even more trolling the probes coming days later even if it was because of an admin needing to approve them is also not a good look .

it's true

if someone makes a rule and I don't agree with it, I'm going to want to break that rule even if its something I'd normally never do

personally id actually stopped calling stuff gay or aids entirely irl and online for years until people started crusaidsing against it on here, now i live for that poo poo

Toxic Mental posted:

why can't we give equal probation and threadban justice to the forum hopping randos posting "fail gayds" and literally nothing else you guys. I'm truly concerned.
that's how you encourage it

nobody would have done anything if people didn't massively overreact to it, the overreaction is what draws it in

u attract more aids with vinegar than with honey

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

FilthyImp posted:

Yeah, I see a lot of, like, oppositional defiance being the snag point here.

I think, as others have said before, that the repeated going to bat for the right to say those things is kind of weird, as is the sense that if you don't personally like the rule it's dumb and fail and deserves to be a mocking point?
why's it weird

that's how women got the vote

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

FilthyImp posted:

If it were a reaction against, say, "16bb is confined to only the groversub thread and now has to link to it if they post elsewhere in GBS" then it makes sense as the directive is targeted and unfair.

-- for the record, I don't thinknthat post about making 16b a pet was earnest and the joke didn't land for some.

That's pretty much what happened when the IZ copyright thing blew up, if I recall correctly.

This seems less cut and dry about it?

The fact that you've cut those words out of colloquial use on your own, but now feel ok to use them is probably the point that doesn't connect for me, personally.

i like to decide what I'm gonna say and what words i will use to say it, don't agree with the arguments used against saying them, found many to be more offensive than the words used, and think the overreaction to it has been a display of some of the most performative cap-A Ally old-person "in this house we..." poo poo I've ever seen & think the people being prodded at for it deserve to be because in my eyes that garbage is pathetic, more or less

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Deki posted:

Threadbans should be an absolute last resort for someone doing poo poo like making a thread outright unreadable but not really doing anything worth a ban/perma.

I get that there's not a lot of active mods, but I don't see anything wrong with dropping sixers for light trolling and leaving it at that.

Man, I think the aids drama is stupid as gently caress but "don't make rules because then I'll want to break them" is pretty dumb too, imo.

Trolling goons for being oversensitive is fine, but its lame to bitch about probes after.
I've got no problem with rules, I actually like rules when they are reasonable, clearly defined, and consistent because then it's easy to tell what's okay or not and i don't have to second guess what i do or say

I don't like rules that seem unjustified or nonsensical, for the inverse reason

idgaf about probes, im not the one getting em. I think the long ones, threadbans and days-later punishments are dumb though and only escalate things.

the modding side of it isn't the real issue i have with the whole thing though, the reason i started saying anything on it was this kind of stuff from the people taking a hard stance against it:

Cousin Todd posted:

Some of the arguments in defense of using gay/aids as an insult here read an awful lot like this tweet to me.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

like the fact that people are still stuck on the fact 16bbh called a submarine aids and gay, but nobody seems to think that kind of stuff is a problem worth discussing here, that nobody seems to have much issue with rust martialis repeatedly bringing up GRIDS and The Gay Disease to accuse people who aren't straight of being homophobic because they said "aids" while people itt are still acting like the real problem is the people who said "aids", is such a logical, moral, and linguistic disconnect from reality that I can't help but call it out

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

this whole discussion is gay and neverending

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

Queer is a slur

lol. thanks for protecting the LGBT& community

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Tarquinn posted:

Well, GBS is the most populous sub-forum and most of the regulars seem to enjoy the state it is currently in and do not like people coming in saying "GBS bad". There will be an instinctive push-back to that. That's probably true for the all sub-forums (or on a bigger level, cultures in general).

However, I do think that GBS still kinda is the forum where most new posters start first, to get their bearings and the general forum where everyone should be able to discuss pretty much anything. Therefore it should be as open to all posters as possible, without descending into a 4chan style chaos. Can you define "weird", or is it just a gut-feeling? This is an open question to all.

i don't see actual problems, more like a lot of grey boringness that smothers out the potential for interesting or funny things. so they happen/are seen much less often. The weirdness comes from the disconnected and isolated little subcommunities in mega threads that start to diverge from the forum over time, get boring, and/or turn rotten one way or another like DeviantArt thread, submarine thread.

just for the record idc if anything changes, im not campaigning for anything to happen at all, don't post much in gbs & only started thinking about it from the SAD thread bc procrastinating from doin stuff irl + i like to post

HOWEVER, I think the main issue is structural, threads should have more turnover like 16bbh said, instead of being up for 10 years at a time. if this is supposed to be the kind of entry forum, you want to have new threads up because newbies aren't going to post in threads with a million posts. i think it would be better if threads popped up when a notable event happened, where people could come in at an equal footing and a fresh space to contribute.

if a new thread about [topic], popped up when something that was worth a thread happened, that way everyone could see it/contribute, instead of only people who read that thread and catch the page it's discussed on before it gets buried by white noise posts. Also the slight barrier for content means less pages of people talking about the thing that Ian Miles Cheong just posted on twitter or w/e because who loving cares honestly

Not that those kinds of pseudo-chat-threads are bad -period-, they're actually really good for a community. There just shouldn't be that many at once in one forum, because that's when they silo off into little subgroups within one forum and it fucks up the idea of a forum. works best to have only one, maybe two. It also really matters what the central subject/theme is (needs to give space for people to be funny & not be depressing or upsetting )

if I could make one change it would probably be that

Schweinhund posted:

Have you ever considered that this is a you problem and not a GBS problem? This goes for half the complaints in this thread but it's more obvious in this case.

it's not a problem. i an a deeply principled person and don't sweve from that. i think its good

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

I appreciate it, as weird as a post as I made.

DW89, you are free to post here, my friend. This is a safe place. I am sorry if any posts I made about your autism were perceived in jest.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

this is a weird post lol

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

DW89, you are free to post here, my friend. This is a safe place. I am sorry if any posts I made about your autism were perceived in jest.

my feedback here is this guy should be banned for this

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Slugworth posted:

This is what I mean about trolling being just weird toddler brain poo poo that I don't think we need to have any tolerance for. You can't simply follow an incredibly minor rule that aligns with what you do in real life already? And you "live for" the negative reaction you get for breaking the rule? Have you tried living for something less sad?

Seems like the win/win solution is permabanning anyone who obtains pleasure from negative attention. We're rid of them, and they got to totally own us by getting us to overreact. Because it seems like the alternative is probing them over and over and over until we change the rules they disagree with (but not actually, since they already follow that rule in real life??????)

i said i decided not to. there's no rule irl stopping me from calling things gay what are you talking about

that right there is why people dont like want to post in this thread or engage in good faith and i do not blame them as it's funny and this is pointless

have you ever considered maybe the 'all word usage rules are for white straight men at work as default for literally everyone no exceptions because it i don't get to say it you don't get to either' default policy for all language in gbs might in itself be kinda discriminatory as not everyone on this website is a straight white man or talks like a straight white man, or considered how that reflects on the supposed inclusiveness of this subforum or that it might come across as a bit superficial, performative or hypocritical when you're getting that upset over me saying I'm gonna say aids, gay when there's blatant middleschool ableism posting going untouched like 4 posts up

FirstnameLastname fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jul 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

loving shame on you. According to his posting history, he's also autistic.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

Tarquinn posted:

They have shown more remorse for their mistake than all of the gay/aids posters combined. Does this count for anything, or is it the principle of things that is the most important?

no they haven't, and that wasn't a mistake? it was some weak bitchmade snipe at dw87, then repeated, then they confirmed that it was intentional both times with the third post

also what mistake do the gay/aids posters need to show remorse for if they disagree with the rule