Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Mmmm... venison

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Jossar posted:

On the road to Blois, you're attacked by some Burgundians. Definitive Edition including their Unique Unit makes them surprisingly dangerous for a random fight, but with heroes and focus fire they're manageable.

since we've seen it, I think an explanation of why they're so dangerous is ok- the Burgundian UU, the coustilier, is a mounted unit like a knight, but it has a special ability: it will charge up a super powerful attack for massive damage.

ie. it's base attack is 8, while the charged attack adds another whopping 20! (40 second cooldown) (represented by a bar underneath the unit, akin to a monk). And this is not including any upgrades from the blacksmith (and Burgundians get all melee attack upgrades). A fully upgraded elite coustillier's charge does the highest damage (40) in the game besides siege units- and this is after two nerfs. This makes them excellent at alpha strikes, and the ability represents the shock of an actual cavalry charge of lance wielding knights.

Coustillier's are one of the game's premier raiders, able to zoom around killing villagers. The massive damage can also be a big threat in attrition scenario's like this one, where if they focused a unit they could bring it down before you realize, and losses are irreplaceable.

It was likely based on a planned feature that cut from the alpha of AoE2, where regular knights would have a similar 'charge'.

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Apr 1, 2023

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

cuc posted:

Two nitpicks:

Pre-industrial demographics are always wildly imprecise guesses, but it's grenerally agreed that the most populous regions of the medieval world were South Asia and China. High to Late Medieval Europe might rank the 3rd.

Livestock fattening is a mechanic exclusive to Age of Empires 3.

pretty sure OP was referring to the amount of campaigns, not the amount of people

also fattening livestock were in Age of Mythology

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

My strategy as a kid was to build a wall across the map connecting both bases and line it with monks and convert everything that came near.

That's what was most obvious to me

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Scouring the wiki best I can- (spoilers, I guess, technically, if anyone should care)

https://ageofempires.fandom.com/wiki/Castle_(Age_of_Empires_II)

https://ageofempires.fandom.com/wiki/Buildings_(Age_of_Empires_II)#Unconstructable_buildings

https://ageofempires.fandom.com/wiki/Wonder_(Age_of_Empires_II)

So Byzantines either used the Middle Eastern set and castle (pre-DE) or the Mediterranean set and castle (DE).

The Mediterranean set got updated for DE, and there were/are some campaigns with Byzantine and Italian cross-pollination in the HD and beyond era.

The description given seems more like the African castles but maybe not.

The Portugese wonder is based on a real life castle.

There are several non-buildable campaign/editor structures that might match

Campaign designers will occasionally layer multiple buildings to achieve unique looks.

Maybe they're thinking of the alpha/beta castles :D

Other than that, no idea other than Mandela effect, or maybe thinking of a different game? Like the Greek fortress from Age of Mythology

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

BlazetheInferno posted:

I will note that going on the offensive and wiping out all the enemies is a particularly lengthy but entertaining endeavor if you have the patience for it.

As for the next campaign... I mean... hell with it, we've been going in order so far, let's keep that up. A.

tbh it is actually possibly easier than trying to defend.

you can snipe jerusalem's town center with your starting warships- that on its own is worth doing even if you're going for the wonder.

the others you can generally smash with your starting army + constant stream of reinforcements if you go hard right away before they build up. Richard's the hardest just because the AI can micro the poo poo out of longbowmen (and he has two castles)

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Smiling Knight posted:

Speaking of, what were everyone's "small child who does not understand RTS" quirks with this game?

villagers get assigned to resources in multiples of 5, with relatively even balance ie. 10/10/10/5 for food/wood/gold/stone.

(when the game had max 75 pop this actually worked not too bad)

military units are created and grouped in multiples of 5

one production building per type, of course

fully upgrade, even for things I wasn't planning on using

fully upgrade before producing that unit

never use the market or tribute without researching guilds and coinage/banking. Even then market is only used sparingly.

military must be kept alive! retreat them if at low health, fully heal by monk/garrison between battles

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

TOOOO-TONS

This mission was also... revamped? revisited? for the Barbarossa Brawl special event a while back, a very fun and challenging scored survival mission. Enemies were turbocharged, and just getting to 30 minutes was crazy hard, let alone getting a highscore.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

In the original game, you could cheese this mission- Venice's city limits included the southern tip of the peninsula Jossar built his base on, down past the gold and woodline. Building the wonder there counted and was much easier to defend than defeating an opponent and building it in their base, though you'd have to defend it from the sea. Fixed with DE

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

YaketySass posted:

Noob question here: what makes gold that limited given trade carts and relics?

trade carts only work in team games, not 1v1s, and relics don't provide enough fast enough

mathwise- a relic provides 30 gold a minute, or the equivalent of 1 fully upgraded villager. So even if you have all five relics, five villagers is simply not enough for lategame. Now I mean some is better than none, especially if your opponent has no relics, but yeah, it's kind of a drop in the bucket

likewise tradecarts aren't as efficient at bringing in gold as villagers (depends somewhat on how long the trade route is, civ bonuses, etc). plus tradecarts cost gold.

so again you absolutely want to get trade carts going in advance of when your mines run out, because some gold is better than none gold, but you are going to be getting less than what you did mining.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Ornlu got an early look at the Romans

game says they are an infantry civ, but they also have lots of bonuses to galleons, and scorpions.

powerful civ bonuses and unique techs, but balanced by the lack of some key techs. (ie. villagers build 5% natively, but lack treadmill crane, or infantry get double effect from armour upgrades but lack gambesons and final upgrade)

legionary is an imperial age replacement for 2-hand/champ, strong but expensive.

likewise for centurion castle uu, as strong as or stronger than paladins with upgrades but expensive.

the comitatenses unique tech seems real good for imperial age, giving militia/knight and centurions both faster training speed and a coustillier-style charge attack (but not as strong)

also of note is the new dromon, essentially a mangonel on the water, and is available not just to the romans, but to byzantines, goths, and huns as well

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Poil posted:

That sounds absolutely beautiful. Finally a counter to endless ship blobs.

maybe- it's listed as anti-building, so there could be some wonkiness about its attack vs naval units. ornlu only showed it in action vs buildings, and it didn't really seem to have a large Age of Empires ahem I mean area of effect

actually, the wiki says "their slow rate of fire, slow projectile speed, and minimum range makes them weak and ineffective against ship, particularly fire ships."

so looks like no, unfortunately. calling them a water mangonel was wrong on my part, they're more a cannon galleon replacement

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

YaketySass posted:

Yeah this campaign seems to experiment with a more personal and narrative-heavy style compared to the base game.

I'm surprised they make you lead Saracens and not Berbers once those were introduced but I suppose Moors is an ambiguous term to begin with.

They're fine altering the cpu civs but outright changing what you play as is another step (outside of Prithviraj's "that civ is no longer in the game"), especially for a classic campaign, I think

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 08:32 on May 10, 2023

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

B. Alaric

El Cid's campaign had some of my favorite atmosphere- I loved the descriptions of Castille, Valencia, Motmad's floating dinner, El Cid alone in exile and finding reinforcements...

but yeah gameplay wise it's pretty basic, and the sudden swap to Saracens for the middle, while atmospheric does kind of undermine the whole spanish campaign bit.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

completing this mission in half an hour was one of the most difficult imo

(although Sargon 3, destroying purple's wonder before it's completed is giving me great difficulty

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Chronische posted:

You don't get the wolves from aiding the Wild Scythians in this version? Shame - not that they're especially good, but I don't think they take pop and are pretty fast.

they're also just very fun and flavorful, shame not to have them

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

beating this mission in under 30 minutes is one of the other hardest achievements in the game- I am curious how the change to romans from byzantines effects things. unlike with the goths, legionaries aren't a threat to you cav archer horde, and centurions are kind of a wash compared to cataphracts- but now their buildings have less HP, so sniping castles/town center to force resign them is easier.

also one of the new missions from return of rome is a contender for hardest mission/achievement I think first pyrrhus mission

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Sally posted:

this one is super easy to cheese and i got it on my second try

Your allies don't surrender until you've destroyed the four stables on the right flank. There's enough stone in your starting area and about your allies bases that you can built fortifications around all allied town centres and fill them with composite bowmen and guard towers. surviving teal's centurion rush is the hardest part, but if you've knocked out their academies beforehand they don't rebuilt. from there it's just fending off a few packs of red's camel riders and you're good.

hmm. what difficulty did you do it on? I did it on hard- I did not find I had much room to delay finishing off orange, both because of teal's doom rush and because orange would just mass cavalry making it impossible to take them out

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Mission 2 reminds me of the 'risk' style use map setting games you'd see in WC3 and starcraft, so I appreciate the ambition, though it doesn't really work out

Mission 3 really punishes the 'build n boom' playstyle because of its 5v1 nature- if you sit back you'll have a really tough time, but being even a little aggressive to cripple or eliminate one or two enemies makes it much more manageable. (I know this the hard way)

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Cuck Fiend posted:

despite completing every campaign and campaign achievement, i somehow have absolutely no memory of any of the bari campaign whatsoever

I felt the same about pacahuti. I do remember Bari's last two missions because they are among the harder ones imo

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Let's just rip the bandage off and get this poo poo out of the way early:

D. Tariq ibn Ziyad

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

this mission got a few changes with Dynasties in addition to the civ change- namely reducing the pop limit from 200 to 125, and going from a Castle start, Imp max to Feudal start/Castle max. I think a good set of changes for the first mission of a campaign

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Jossar posted:

First, Minamoto shows up alongside a moderate size army of Hussars.

not hussars, but a special one-off 'mounted samurai' unit

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

The Savoyards on this mission actually start with very few units. It's possible to rush them and take them out very early on, before they get a castle or start spamming paladins. This will trigger the betrayal though, so be prepared for that.

Also A. Tariq

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

I'm not sure if it was a difficulty level thing, or if they've dialed the mission difficulty down in patches, but the first two missions and the last were incredible slogs for me (on hard). Enemies have infinite resources, firetowers (scenario only super powerful but short range towers), constant attacks, etc etc.

but other than difficulty (which only really comes from infinite resource unit spam) there's really not much going on. Some light mechanics in the last, the (punishing, annoying) attrition mechanic in the no-build mission... very basic.

And the story is just... we showed up, conquered some stuff, some people liked us more than the people we were fighting for some reason, no one has personality. I do like that it leads directly in to Tours and that the narrative just slams closed- They thought they were going to win, with no doubts, and then they lost. poo poo happens.

quote:

Already time to include Rajas in the pool, huh? Starting to get to what I remember being the less fun campaigns, but well... gotta get through 'em all.

yeah the African Kingdoms/Rise of the Rajas campaigns are pretty rough. Lots of infinite resource unit spam.

In any case... A. Sundjata - Malians I think was pretty solid. Better than Tariq for sure.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

worth mentioning that gbetos are the only trainable female combat-unit in the game

there's a few heroes, like Joan, and the female variant of the Burgundian unique tech, except that only affects pre-existing female villagers, and the trainable version from the barracks is always male

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Azran posted:

FWIW their dev team pointed out in one of their recent updates that they noticed how much people liked the DoI DLC concept and if I had to guess the next in line for a similar treatment are the Chinese.

In b4 they make the Norman's into a civ

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

there used to be a funny bug in hd where the gbetos would spawn constantly and infinitely, going past the pop limit and lagging/crashing the game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcAgtf3OeBg

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

reading this lp was much more enjoyable than playing through yodit's campaign myself, I'll say that.

the sudden swerve in the narrative of having this random guy show up to be like 'but actually war bad' felt strange- they kind of flirt with the idea that Yodit was exceptionally bloodthirsty but don't really show it

A makes sense as a bridge between the two dlcs

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

quote:

"As I feared, our king died this afternoon from an unknown illness. In his stead, Tribhuwana became queen regent. Her first act as queen was to retire the prime minister and give his position to me.

Jossar posted:

The assassination of the first king, the removal of the prime minister, all of the schemes that I planned and conspired... I let nothing come in the way of my ambitions... and now I pay the price..."[/i]

Nice little subtle reveal (though you could probably have guessed it earlier)

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

A Burmese

there's a definite step up in quality when we get into the DE era, so I think let's just get the rise of the rajas out of the way

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

I like this mission! It's got a very unique set up and it's challenging without being a grind

It's also possible to cheese by building a dock in like, on spot that isn't under fire and build cannon galleons, or at least it was

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

it says something that you beat the mission while exploring less than half the map, I think

and it's a relatively small map size too

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

yeah I love this mission, it actually succeeds at the age old video game dilemma: how do you let the player win the level, but still lose the narrative?

and most players would probably have fond, nostalgic memories of playing the mongol campaign, so now the reversal where we're on the other end is great

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

I liked, or at least respected, the Ivaylo campaign. It was ambitious- pretty much every mission had some sort of twist or novelty. However they didn't really work out all that well- like this last mission essentially being two mission in one, but was just an awkward reset. It also felt like the gameplay climax was mission 3, and then 4 and 5 were steps down.

The narrative, style and acting was great, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

I do like that the last and second to last missions have the same map, though slightly shifted, since it's in the same area. Always fun when you return to the same area (there's a great example coming up soonish) buuuut having it back to back isn't so good.