Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Some people are vegetarian and not vegan, or just want to eat less meat. And I wager they're a bigger market share at McDonald's than people who are 100% vegan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Failed Imagineer posted:

Gimme a break lol.

Feel free to post any MSM outlets in the US that aren't actively harmful to media literacy. You know exactly what I mean it isn't an abstruse definition.

Fake edit: yeah yeah C-SPAN is fine if you want to go that way

If you are media literate and can rub 2 brain cells you can still glean plenty of useful information from US MSM, but you have to be able to dig through the framing. Media literacy is not the ability to know which sources are "good" or "bad" but the ability to read media critically.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Gumball Gumption posted:

Which orgs with what caveats would people suggest to the original question from US media? Seems more useful than just being mad someone said mainstream US media is bad.

Pointing out that something is overly reductive isn't "getting mad that someone said us media was bad"

None of us would be aware of the extent of abuses in the conservative Hasidic Jew community in NYC without that massive piece in the NYT. And they broke the Weinstein story, regardless of how "common knowledge" it was in Hollywood circles.

e: It's kind of a moot point because if you're reading and following USCE, you're going to see a bunch of reposts of US news media, and whether or not those outlets are in your personal approved sources list, you should be able to read them critically if you want to post here.

Also lol at the idea that you don't need to use media literacy or a critical eye when reading "better" sources, like The Intercept! :ironicat:

Gumball Gumption posted:

:shrug: actual suggestions for the original question would still be more useful.

Someone responded with suggestions, and a couple people pointed out flaws in the reasoning. If anyone recommends media that you can simply read uncritically to get the real, true news, they're full of poo poo and high on their own confirmation bias.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Apr 12, 2023

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Jaxyon posted:

I like how nobody ever talks about the cost of NOT doing poo poo about climate change.

I think most people's brains would break if they realized what the cost was, just look at our climate threads here on SA.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Fister Roboto posted:

Also most of the people in a position to do anything won't ever have to worry about the costs.

Yeah, I don't really think my observation is a primary motivator, but I think even many people in positions of relative power probably have trouble grasping the magnitude of the problem. It's clear that they are not any better or smarter than the rest of us, and if we narrow the definition of people in power to "US Senate," they are in fact much less capable of critical thought than most posters here, some of them don't even seem to be on my cats' level when it comes to pattern recognition.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
At this point it might take her longer to go through the effort of resigning than simply dropping dead of natural causes.

e: DiFi, if you're reading this, it's okay to let go

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Sounds like trucking is critical infrastructure and should be nationalized instead of letting a bunch of lovely companies exploit people who have to self-finance, or at least much more heavily regulated and subsidized so drivers don't have to kill themselves or get addicted to meth just to do their jobs. Best we can do in 2023 is *checks notes* repair nine bridges I guess. Infrastructure week is back!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Unclear why, but Christie seems to want to give his Presidential campaign another shot.

I can't really see this ending in any way other than disaster for him again. If Trump somehow flames out, then DeSantis is there to pick up the remains. Christie ran basically at the height of his popularity last time and got nowhere. I don't see him getting much more popular after being out of office for 8 years and trying the same thing again.

Although, I guess I have to give him credit for being the one Republican who seemed prepared for the obvious follow-up question on abortion. His answer seems like it will piss off the more extreme pro-lifers, though.

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/1648385852450414593

I honestly would love to see this, if he remembers how bad Trump made him look and decides to go full New Jersey on him.

e: say what you will about Chris Christie but he knows how to wear a suit and stand normally

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Yeah lol, this was win win for both tbh, the financial poo poo isn't going to hurt Fox in the slightest, and no one who still watches Fox will believe or care about the on-air apologies. This was the best chance for real skeletons to be exposed and perhaps lead to actual criminal wrongdoing that could have resulted in much larger consequences for Fox.

An unequivocal loss for everyone not Dominion or Fox News.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
It's not that far off from "safe, legal, and rare" which, to be clear, is bullshit framing which caves to the right wing framing of abortion as wrong or bad or something to be ashamed off. So it's lovely language but I don't think it's some new weird stance on abortion, it's just the "moderate" one.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Most of it is impressively content-less politician speak that somehow doesn't take a side on anything.

But, the part that is most concerning to me is his implication that there are a few Americans who relish the thought of dead fetuses.

The other interesting thing is that he gets into every weird covid bedbug, but never mentions his anti-vax stance, which is the one thing he is famous for. He runs an anti-vaccination foundation that helps parents whose children are the "victims" of being vaccinated too young/often/etc.

It is an absolutely terrible phrase and I can only imagine that he has an extremely incompetent team working for him.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

TheDisreputableDog posted:

But certainly aborting female fetuses because you want a boy would be wrong?

Only if you think aborting fetuses is a moral wrong, which I don't.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Counterpoint: the point of abortions ideally being rare is that getting an abortion sucks. Even if a woman makes the decision to have an abortion in the early stages, it's an expensive, inconvenient, and stressful process, and that's even before getting into the various moral/ethical dilemmas—which you may not possess, but many people do. Abortions should be rare because they shouldn't have to get to that point in the first place, meaning comprehensive sex ed and widespread availability of birth control methods.

And dude this is missing the point in a frankly horrifying way — yes, sex-selective abortions are a horrible wrong, not because they're abortions, but because it's a horrifically misogynic practice.

This is entirely subjective. For a majority of women it's a simple procedure with very little after care required. Yes there are women who experience complications, but far fewer than say, childbirth. And yes there are women who regret or have moral qualms about their abortion, and that's okay too. Nothing inherently "sucks" about an abortion, it's a safe and routine medical procedure.

And to the second part, it's conservative concern trolling. The vast majority of people aren't going to make that decision for that reason, and for the few that do, whatever. If you want to feel icky about it then you do you, but it literally does not matter when it comes to whether a woman should be able to access abortion care or not.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Killer robot posted:

We absolutely do, but usually through focus on preventative medicine* rather than restricting the procedure or shaming people who need it. That's part of what always gives the game away for anti-abortion types, is that you can reduce abortion rates a lot through sex education and easy access to birth control but they don't like that much either.

*There's also a lot of pressure to make difficult and stressful medical procedures rare by using less intrusive alternatives when possible. (Yes, even in places without private insurance companies, before anyone brings that up.) This doesn't really apply as much to abortion unless you count giving enough social/financial support to new mothers that no one feels pressured to abort just because they can't afford a baby. Though guess what the anti-abortionists think about that!

This is the key right here, women should have access to whichever birth control method they choose at any time, up to and including abortion, but again, there is absolutely no statistically significant portion of women choosing to use abortion as their birth control method, and those that do probably do so because they are trapped in controlling households and cannot rely on having access to regular birth control.

Like this is all accessible from a utilitarian perspective, the only point I'm trying to make is that it's bad to start off with the tacit admission that your anti-choice opponent is right about abortion being bad. That's extremely weak footing and potentially a tacit endorsement for some restrictions on abortion.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Apr 20, 2023

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Turns out normal people don't like old gross men forcing birth on 12 year olds, who would have thought.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

I brought it up in response to a statement that abortion can never be framed as wrong or unethical.

Based on some of these responses, I hope there’s never a genetic/developmental test that predicts a fetus’ orientation or gender dysphoria.

Explain to me how you would go about policing this. What restrictions would you have in place to protect thought crime? Why do you think it's important to bring up unlikely or unknowable situations in this discussion?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Let me know what I got wrong about this post.

I still don't. I think if it's the woman's decision, and she's not being coerced or pressured, then she deserves to have an abortion for whatever reason and frankly it's none of your loving business. You can make up all the scenarios in your head that you like, that's fine. It's a clump of cells, not a person, and I'm not going to pretend that it's anything more than a minor outpatient [s]surgical[/] procedure. It's not wrong.

e: minor correction, it's not even a surgery

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Apr 21, 2023

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Oxyclean posted:

and yet these people get offended and think it's a woke conspiracy when AI won't say a slur to defuse a nuclear bomb in a theoretical scenario

Well yeah, because the only people slurs hurt are subhuman. Baby Hitler is white!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
My city has been making some strides toward affordable housing but unfortunately it's all tied up in continuing to make things more friendly to businesses and ongoing gentrification. I have a feeling that "affordable housing" is going to become "more housing" instead and we're just going to keep pricing people out of their homes and apartments.

Unrelated, why are there so many homeless people now??? They must be getting bussed in from somewhere!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Gyges posted:

People actually use the gym showers at school? I think the entire time I was in Middle and High School the only people I ever hear of showering at the school was a handful of athletes after games. Nobody had the time, let alone the inclination, to shower between classes.

Edit:

Yes, as we all know "biological females" are physically incapable of spiking a volleyball into another player's face. A quick google search of volleyball spike in face will definitely not return any results of women's volleyball before this tragic incident.

How do you take your take your movement seriously when you insist of using terminology that makes you sound like a Ferengi?

I'm sorry but the Ferengi would absolutely say trans rights because trans people spend latinum as well as anyone else.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Main Paineframe posted:

Much like the real-life capitalists they were meant to satirize, the Ferengi were happy to prioritize bigotry over profit. In particular, they were heavily misogynistic.

Failed Imagineer posted:

???

They didn't even allow females to wear clothes or work until the new Nagus shook things up. If they were willing to pass up that economic activity due to prejudice, I reckon they're gonna need a few more like Rom or Ishka before they get to trans acceptance

These are good points. You are both correct. Rom and Nog and even Quark, the most Ferengi of those three, are massive outliers in Ferengi society. Good thing you don't get probed in here for being wrong or stupid.

e: oh boy sniping with that is tempting fate if I ever saw it

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
In marine corps boot camp, the first 48 hours or so are designed to be as dehumanizing as possible, and one of those things includes being given 5 minutes to get through a shower with hundreds of other recruits, and you're packed in there so tight that you're practically sharing showerheads.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
There's also tons of people who absorb that stuff via yt clips and things posted to Twitter. There's clearly lots of people who don't watch cable who are nonetheless either an intentional or unintentional audience for Tucker.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Google Jeb Bush posted:

Disney has one of the absolutely scariest corporste legal teams on the planet, at least of any corp that PROBABLY doesn't just routinely have people murdered. There is a zero percent chance they didn't get this going the moment it became plausible that DeSantis was dumb enough to make war on the Mouse.

Not sure I'd ever be confident enough to take that bet. Probably doing some lifting in that sentence.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Is there a drug that does the opposite? My partner has this problem and as someone who likes to cook it's a bummer.

My partner swims, and on days she does I can hardly make enough food. Swimming, that's a good trick!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I think the fact that this is a far worse problem in the US than most other places points to several other factors than "willpower." Food deserts, health inequality, overworking, a drastically underfunded education system that can't provide children any sort of useful life skills like budgeting or nutrition, and much more. It would actually be difficult to design a system that would lead to more weight problems than we have here in the US for christ's sake. Absolutely no one should feel bad about themselves for lacking "willpower."

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

the_steve posted:

I've ranted about this in other threads, but yeah, the overworking is definitely the biggest contributor for me (at this point in my life anyways. All those hot pockets didn't eat themselves when I was growing up). Between the hours actually being at work and my drive to/from, I'm putting in a 15+ hour day 5 days a week.
Sometimes a run through the McDonald's drive-thru is all I have time for before I have to go to bed and do it all over again.

Yeah, when I was working retail I ended up picking up Wendy's for dinner on my way home from work at least once a week, because I was so loving exhausted I knew I wouldn't have any time or energy to cook. The issues with obesity in this country are complex and interconnected, but the lines can be traced back to capitalism. If not necessarily the cause, certainly a major contributor to the same social ills.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Mellow Seas posted:

Capitalism contributes but isn’t the sole explanation; Cuba’s obesity rates have shot way up over the last 25 years. All the other communist countries are East Asian countries which have extremely low levels of obesity overall, but rates in Japan and the ROK don’t seem all that much higher than in China or Vietnam.

(Tangentially, there weirdly seems to be some push to define obesity in East Asian countries as a BMI over 25 instead of 30, which puts countries like Korea near US obesity rates - I have no idea if there is a valid scientific justification for this.)

Right, which is why I couched it a bit. Some of the causes would exist regardless, some are entirely the fault of capitalism, and some are amplified by capitalism. It's a very complex web of systems that lead to this sort of thing.

We haven't even gotten into lookism and how there's a societal feedback loop of most people in media, TV, magazines, movies, etc being fit and attractive, which makes people judge themselves unfairly, which can affect someone's mental state and make it even harder to make choices that would benefit their health.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

haveblue posted:

Young people just eat each others' asses so technical virgins at best

Sorry but I think it's questionable to call Millennials "young" at this point.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Fister Roboto posted:

Also because physically seizing the capitol doesn't really matter that much in terms of power. Like what was going to happen, they sit in the senate and say olly olly oxen free and now they control everything? It made for a big spectacle, but ultimately it never could have been an actual threat.

So yeah, kind of weird to blame it on leftists not wanting to put their lives on the line for a bunch of politicians.

I mean to be fair had they actually managed to get their hands on some politicians, things could have looked a little different. And there were some MAGA pols who have at this point been caught dead to rights as being in the loop. I still don't think the people who were actually there had any plan, and I'm not sure how many of them would have gone through with violence had they the opportunity. And I don't think even a couple collaborators in government would have made the coup successful.

That said, I'm not sure where leftist street fighters would have come into play. They typically put themselves on the line for women at abortion clinics, transfolk, and other marginalized groups involved in protests. They don't work security for congress.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

James Garfield posted:

You're misreading. It isn't useful to talk about whose fault it is, but it is extremely obvious that the leftist street fighters could not stop all 9 judges from signing that piece of paper either (and if they tried the results would be worse than what actually happened).

You're talking about different things. I went back and reread the exchange and they're clearly not talking about glorious revolution, they are talking about being forced to fight fascists in the streets to directly protect themselves and other vulnerable people. Which is literally already happening.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I think most of them probably thought that Trump was going to roll in with the big handsome generals once they'd managed to get in there. They were following his orders after all, and they were dumb enough to assume that he had a plan for them. Also plenty of those people believe that Democrats literally sacrifice children in secret rituals and drink their adrenochrome. Do you think that might affect someone's willingness to commit violence?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Gyges posted:

I think it's more that they didn't have the opportunity, less everyone was waiting for someone else to start the carnage.

Well, I think the momentum was halted because a woman got shot in the head and died and big strong daddy trump didn't swoop in with his shadow military to enact The Plan

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Gyges posted:

She was shot long before people were roaming the halls, yelling for Pelosi to come out.

Oh that's right. Sorry, I had the events out of order in my mind. I still think the lack of support they were likely expecting still had an impact. Once everyone was evacuated and they were just trashing sit and taking selfies, it was apparent that they were the dog that caught the car. They had no further ideas once they realized they weren't going to get their hands on any congress critters.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Why do cops need to put 85 bullets into a guy reaching for his wallet when one or two will do?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Main Paineframe posted:

The number of bullets it takes to incapacitate someone isn't consistent or predictable (especially given that cops often don't have great aim). Sometimes one shot's enough, sometimes it's not.

If police are pulling their guns on someone in response to an immediate threat to life, then cops are trained to keep firing until they're absolutely loving sure the person is definitely, obviously, for-sure incapacitated. Moreover, police training in the US tends to encourage cops to think that their normal senses will underestimate the threat someone poses, and that they should be more aggressive in responding to potential threats than they would normally think. On top of that, police training tends to heavily emphasize the prevalence of gun ownership in American culture, and a guy with a knife is a lot easier to render harmless than a guy with a gun. Multiply that by several cops opening fire at the same time while the adrenalin is pumping, and there you go.

Well, thanks for the explanation. I think it's wrong on nearly every level and betrays a horrific mentality that leads to way more innocent and unarmed people being killed than cops' lives saved. But at least it makes sense in a vacuum.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

PhazonLink posted:

if pornhub really wanted to do something maybe they should use their panopticon of data and leak stuff.

Buddy, if you go to pornhub you will in fact find that they have all kinds of leak stuff.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
It's better for people to be able to see others like themselves in places instead of not, it normalizes their existence and can help them feel like an accepted part of society. It's like increasing diversity in films and TV, people like to see themselves reflected in popular culture and also helps normalize it for people who aren't already gross bigots but may not personally know any LGBTQ+ or POC.

e: anyone who goes to work for Lockheed Martin can gently caress all the way off tho

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 6, 2023

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I don't think working for Lockheed Martin or General Dynamics is really the kind of thing I can excuse under the "no ethical existence in capitalism" rule. Like goddamn have at least some standards. Not everyone can do something they believe in, but I don't believe for a second that someone capable of doing whatever the hell a person does for those companies wouldn't have options elsewhere. "Someone's gotta work at the puppy crushing factory and I need to make a living."

Sorry no. Slaving away at poo poo jobs to survive is one thing, willfully choosing to work for outright evil is another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Gumball Gumption posted:

Oh I'm curious about that since I don't know much about large alcohol companies and when they started associating with Pride events.

Also to be very exact I'd say it's a leading indicator for the economy, a lagging indicator for societal acceptance.

Anecdotal but the two explicit gay bars in my city (p much everywhere here is trans/gay friendly unless you hit the city limits) have had bud light signage plastered all over the place for at least the 20 or so years I've been going.