Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
So 7 dead.

Shooter (female who appears to be in teens)
3 kids
3 adults.

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/nashville-shooting-covenant-school-03-27-23/index.html

This morning, like every morning, I dropped my kids off and thought "hope this isn't the last time I see them alive."

God this country is just so hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I think Newsweek has the same level of credibility as the Post.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

the_steve posted:

Well sign me the gently caress up.

There was a decent Science Vs. episode on Ozempic the other day. It apparently does actually work! (I know I'm just parroting the article)

But the biggest catch is that... you have to keep taking it to keep the weight off. I think all patients who stopped regained the weight. I mean hopefully it would establish some better habits but it didn't seem to be the case.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Mellow Seas posted:

Yeah, but the fact that the drug works, and how it works, kind of suggests that "better habits" are not really the product of some individual exertion of will but rather just the chemical processes in your brain.

I 100% agree (and agree with what everyone else posted), I was just posting it because it sucks. I mean worth it if there's no long term effects, etc. Just an annoying thing.

Gyges posted:

If they were just testing the efficacy of the drug, wouldn't they encourage people in the trial not to additionally adopt known weight loss changes such as significant dietary or exercise regimes? So, if we know it's just a temporary "hack" to help you make changes it should still be effective in helping you solidify a diet/lifestyle change.

No idea about a trial, this was just reported in real world usage.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
The biggest thing I'm surprised about is that he actually *believes* all the antifa nonsense. I thought for sure he knew that was all bs garbage and was just putting on an act.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Mississippi's last license plate had "In God We Trust" on it which I thought was obviously not ok.

Well they got sued in 2021 over it and the new license plate released today doesn't have it anymore. Small wins!

(I also like how the Mississippi AG's suggestion to combat it was to put a sticker over it if you didn't like it... something that was clearly against the law).

https://www.mississippifreepress.or...s%5C%27+Lawsuit

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Failed Imagineer posted:

Note, median progression-free survival wasn't reached after 18mo FU, and was 100% in the responders. I'd wait for an adequately-powered Ph2 study to support these results (and longer PFS in these intial patients), but this is pretty sweet. I imagine it'll be a big splash at the ASCO conference next month

yeah that's ok don't explain what any of that is or anything

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yeah.

Progression-free survival is how long your patients survive without their disease progressing/reoccurring (also called relapse-free survival but there's nuance).

Median PFS is when 50% of your parents have disease progression/relapse.

FU= followup .

Sorry, I'm tired and I forget what's jargon or not

Copy, thanks! (and everyone else that posted)

Super exciting news even tentatively.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Yeah this is great. Listened to it earlier this year. Absolutely eye opening. I made sure to check with my kid's school and see if they were teaching this (luckily they weren't... and my kid is an amazing reader so yay).

As for homework. When my daughter was in Kindergarten, the amount of homework she had was INSANE. Like every day stuff with other tasks that were month or weeklong. Just loving ludicrous. Luckily her first grade teacher was wiser. "No homework. Your home time is family time. If there IS something that needs to be focused on, I'll tell you about it and you're to spend no more than 15 minutes at home on it."

Now the school she's at (different state) has a strict no homework policy for elementary school. I love it.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

GlyphGryph posted:

Phonics is still useful for word acquisition at any point where you might come across unfamiliar words, which is life long. Does it always give you the "correct" answer? No, but what does it matter It usually gives you one that is good enough, though, so if you use the word and someone knows the pronunciation correctly, they'll still be able to recognize the word and be able to correct you. It also gives you an audio equivalent upon encountering the word that helps memorize the written word, even if the pronunciation is way off.

In the Sold A Story podcast, they talk about the usage of phonics vs the contextual word identification method. When starting out, kids learned relatively equally well with both. But the *second* you get out of the kid's book with pictures phase, the contextual method just hits a brick wall of course and the kids that are taught phonics are able to figure it out and move forward.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

FizFashizzle posted:

In the UK?

Feels like it’s Dilaudid (de-lala land) in my ER.

I was in the ER two years ago for colitis (that was thought to maybe be appendicitis at the time).

They gave me some ibuprofen and asked how it was doing. It had taken the 8 down to maybe a 6 or 7. So I said "not doing too much."

They switched me to freaking Dilaudid... Which I had never had. Oh my god.

Then they admitted me and gave me an every two hours option for Dilaudid for the three days I was there. I made sure to use it sparingly... Just 3 times the whole time I was there.

Because.... Oh my god.

It felt amazing, gave me a terrifying fear of getting addicted to something and also I was like "oh this is how an opioid crisis happens." Someone says the ibuprofen isn't hitting strong and you jump right to freaking Dilaudid?!?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Quixotic1 posted:

I've noticed a lot more cars using the turning lanes to bypass all the cars going straight when at a red light.

We were just having this "what the hell is happening with drivers?!?!" conversation at lunch. It seems nuts lately.

And to your point, the other day I was taking my two kids home from school, went to turn into the turning lane when I noticed a car in the oncoming fast lane bolted into it to use it as a passing lane. A second or two later on my part and I would have probably had a head on collision.

I posted my dash cam to Nextdoor and they had a field day with it.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The theory that Taylor Swift secretly controls the government is looking more and more likely.

The U.S. government reached a settlement with Live Nation and Ticketmaster to require them to list all fees for tickets upfront as part of the total price and to modify their "official resale" stores to prevent the ticket situation that happened with Taylor Swift's last tour (where tickets had nearly 120% in fees added on once you hit the checkout process and Ticketmaster allowed people to reserve huge blocks of tickets that were allowed to then immediately be listed on the "official resale" site of Ticketmaster.

Weirdly, the CNN article doesn't mention Taylor Swift or that her complaints were what sparked the original investigation and calls for legislation. Which makes sense if you are trying to keep the power behind the throne out of the limelight and above suspicion...

Ticketmaster and Live Nation were allowed to do this for years unchallenged, but the full might of the federal government gets brought down upon them as soon as they cross Ms. Swift.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/15/busi...m_medium=social

I mean people have been calling for this well before Taylor Swift. Her tour is so large that it launched it back into the spotlight and before Congress yet again, but she's not the first.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I think it's been brought up before? But that's the premise behind the "Sold a Story" podcast which I def recommend listening to.

*Thankfully* my kid's school didn't use that method and she is a superior ranking reader.

Her math skills however are right down the middle average. Need to work on those during the break.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Velocity Raptor posted:

This was a really interesting article. I had no idea that they started changing how reading was being taught. I guess phonics is no longer a thing?
I can't help but wonder, though, what is it that happened that caused a major change in how teachers taught math and reading? Like, genuinely curious. Who saw what was being taught and decided that it was all wrong?

Phonics is definitely a thing. There's just a big battle on what method to teach. Seriously listen to Sold A Story - it's only 6 eps!

https://features.apmreports.org/sold-a-story/

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

FlamingLiberal posted:

I read that and immediately heard a loud dog whistle

I mean... that's not even a dog whistle. That's just pretty straight up saying the racism.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

VorpalBunny posted:

I'll say this, as a parent to 4 small kids, that not having a social support structure or nearby family willing to help babysit has really curtailed my social activities for the past 12 years. My oldest will be 13 this fall and I am starting to warm up to the idea of him as a babysitter so we my husband and I can have a date night, but up until very recently we didn't have that luxury. I am actually looking forward to being a productive and social member of society again now that my kids are older, because being a stay-at-home parent to small kids can be very lonely.

This is similar to our situation. No real support structure just devastates families with young kids. Even using a babysitting service it's like... a.) expensive and b.) you don't really know those people and leaving your kids with them presents its own anxieties.

Honestly the fantasy of moving back to Mississippi... MISSISSIPPI... has presented itself just because we'd be back in the fold with our friends. poo poo is lonely out there.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

That seems like the least weird thing about the study. Everyone has strong opinions about something happening in places other than where they are.

Part of it might also the study/interview format. They have done a ton of experimenting and people are generally terrified of saying they don't know or have no opinion about something when asked directly about it. It is the basis for a running segment on basically every late night talk show where someone surprises people on the street and asks their opinion on something or tests their knowledge. Large chunks of people would rather say something stupid confidently than admit that they don't know or have no opinion.

But also there is a coordinated attack on public education (and really non-parental education in general) by the right. I think most parents who have a day to day relationship with schools are generally fine with it (as the study seems to show). But tons of non-parents who are riled up by Fox News to think our public schools are drag queen filled grooming factories? Man they are up in *arms* currently. (See "Moms For Liberty" who are often filled with people who have kids that are not in the education system - or just don't have kids at all)

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Rebel Blob posted:

Even in the eighties, Carpenter framed the movie as a reaction against Reaganomics. His core idea was that the aliens were interstellar capitalists treating the entire planet like the US treats third-world countries.

And I mean it's extremely obvious! Like... not subtle at all lol. God people suck.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Young Freud posted:

There's a phrase that comes up often when talking about conservatives: "Every accusation is a confession". When you look at world history, antisemitic conspiracy theories are the first example of that.

I'm currently reading Zealot by Reza Aslan. It's a historical history of Jesus.

In it he talks about the ridiculous story of how the bible white washes Pontious Pilates actions (he was notoriously terrible and was documented as so apparently) and instead transposes the final decision of crucifixion onto the Jews themselves. Which makes no sense whatsoever of course.

He talks about how this is likely because once the Christian movement moves out into Rome... they had to retcon the Romans as "not evil" and instead put that blame on the Jewish population with a nonsensical story.

Feels like that's the origin story for all of this.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

the_steve posted:

I very vaguely remember from my cathechism days that there was a story that went like that.
Pontius has Jesus and some other dude who was convicted of a crime up in front of the crowd and says "Alright, y'all can have one pardon, who's it gonna be?"
And the crowd chooses Not Jesus, which leads to Jesus' crucifixion.

Yeah it's discussed in depth in the book but the basic conclusion is that this story makes no sense. The Jews would not have NOT picked Jesus... and Pilate never did that kind of poo poo anyway. He was so known for recklessly sending everyone instantly to their death that there were formal complaints lodged against him in Rome.

It was just a way to absolve the Romans of killing Jesus to make the story more palatable to the Romans they were evangelizing to.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Bwee posted:

Zealot is not serious scholarship and shouldn't be treated as such

Well now I'm interested in more scholarly reading! Where should I go next?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I know this isn't really USCE anymore so is there a good thread to discuss this further?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Robviously posted:

Wow. He really just took his ball and went home.

So beautiful. Should have sent a poet.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Just got a news alert that they've officially nominated Jordan

https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/13/politics/house-republicans-speaker-fight/index.html

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Piell posted:

Lol no

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1712931872651542703

The validation vote here is "will you support Jordan on a floor vote of the full House"

oh yeah no way he actually gets it

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
In related news I was listening to Pivot podcast today and Kara Swisher mentioned both a George Clooney documentary and new NYT investigative report about to come out about his wrestling accusations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I'm trying to recall when was the last time I even saw a RiteAid out in the wild.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
In less politically charged news, Joran Van der Sloot finally admitted, as part of a plea deal, to murdering Natalie Holloway. I mean we all knew it, but now it's official.

Unfortunately her body will never be found. He just dumped her in the ocean and obviously it's been way too long to recover/find her.

But the crazy thing is that his please deal was about his extortion case and that pled 20 year sentence will be served concurrently with his Peruvian sentence. So after two murders and an extortion charge, it's likely he'll at some point get out a free man.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/18/us/joran-van-der-sloot-natalee-holloway-plea-wednesday/index.html

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

MegaZeroX posted:

FTR, since I don't think it has been mentioned in this thread, Hern used to own some McDonald Franchise, and goes really hard to bake it into his identity, with a nickname of "McCongressman"

He gave himself that nickname didn't he?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Zotix posted:

https://x.com/YWNReporter/status/1716538018775875880?s=20

Maybe better suited to Israel/ Palestine thread, but probably related to Iran claiming to attack 3 US military bases in Syria.

Any idea what this was?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

CobiWann posted:

Hey, try not to nominate a new Speaker on the way to the parking lot!

37 Speakers?!?! In a row?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

FizFashizzle posted:

She's never come out about that as far as I know.

i cannot back up any of this with hard proof so I'm spoilering it

Both. She was a staple in local crossfit competitions during that time and everyone knew her. She was not quiet about her proclivities and would tell anyone that would listen.

She dated Tway (from that article) who ran the gym she bought from Chambers (also from that article, also not a billionare but the grandson of the richest woman in the united states) and had a whatever you want to call it.

i cannot imagine what actually happened in DC that caused her husband to divorce her, knowing what he put up with in the past, but I guess everyone has their breaking point.

Also she had (most likely has) a serious coke problem

So planting pipe bombs AND dime bags

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
At least 16 dead in a mass shooting in Maine tonight. Shootings took place in a bowling alley and restaurant. White male suspect (pic and car in article below) still at large.

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/lewiston-maine-shootings-active-shooter-10-25-23/index.html

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
This is literally happening in my town (I have two small kids in school) right now. A man made credible threats of a mass shooting. Has a history of untreated mental illness. Threatened to kill a British government official in 2016 and went to federal prison. Thinks the FBI are trying to frame him.

Was arrested. Released on $1000 bond.

Got arrested again after using his phone to call the news station and say the FBI was trying to frame him (using his phone was a violation of his pre-trial agreement from yesterday's arrest).

https://www.wral.com/story/cary-man-arrested-for-threats-against-children-tells-wral-it-was-a-misunderstanding/21127615/

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

MonkeyOnFire posted:

For those who can stomach it, I feel like this is bordering on required reading as a civic duty. It's not long, but it hits hard. Hard. Everything there is devastating, but those Uvalde pics...jesus loving christ.

Yeah. Man I just don't think I can do it. Seeing any of the young school pics (with young kids in school) would be too much I think.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

zoux posted:

I'm already maximally for gun control, I don't see the utility in performing some sort of psychological ritual of flesh mortification.

same

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
So yesterday (literally as I was posing about the WaPo pics/school shooting stuff), my kid had a code red drill. I was asking her about it today and she said that it was "fun" and she and some friends were wishing, since it happened while they were out on the playground, that it was "real" "except nobody got hurt and the killer got caught" (her words) so that they could have stayed out on the playground longer. Like... I know it's obvious but we are psychologically just loving up our kids hardcore.

I then apologized that she has to go through this and live in this world like this and mentioned how this wasn't a thing we did in schools when I was young and she was totally flabbergasted. "Wait... y'all didn't have to do this? Why?" And man that invoked the start of an even longer convo but we had to pause since I was at the drop off line. Just so utterly hosed up.

edit: I did go back and read the WaPo article knowing there weren't any pics of kids in there. I had seen the Las Vegas pic (the very last one they show) before so I was prepared for that.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Nov 17, 2023

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Jesus something that I somehow missed in the Uvalde shooting but that was shown in the pics. the shooter wrote LOL in the kids blood on a whiteboard. What the gently caress.

Definitely NMS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Good. Home buying in this country is absolutely a racket locked up by a cabal of literal idiots.