Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The first time I heard of pickleball was this story so I wrote it off as a fad for rich WASPs

(The conflict there was resolved by banning pickleball from the playground and redirecting it to dedicated brand new pickleball courts, so it's hard to say who won)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
They’ll just switch to supporting universal open carry

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Mellow Seas posted:

“Our sources within the police department inform us that the shooter identified as a porpoise, and that the lack of a gender-specific pronoun there was in no way intended as sexism.”

The shooter was found to have frequented a self-described “dead gay” web forum, thus proving that they were a suicidal LGBT extremist

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It really sucks that we have a whole bunch of amendments that say “your right to vote cannot be denied on account of ______” but we never bothered to pass “your right to vote cannot be denied, period”

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Quorum posted:

Even worse is that he didn't, in fact, announce it; he just stopped doing it and didn't say anything until some reporters demanded to know what was going on, which is very on-brand for him. Unfortunately, restoration of rights to those convicted of felonies is an entirely discretionary authority of the governor, so this is the flip side of McAuliffe and Northam being able to set the bar at "do your time and (optionally) fill out this form."

Didn’t McAuliffe also have to do a significant amount of work personally for this? I feel like I remember a court insisting he could not blanket grant all ex-cons their rights at once, but not stopping him from doing thousands of individual grants

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It’s a well-established principle that republicans only care about something when they have a strong personal connection to it, and, well, a lot of them have children in school

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

GlyphGryph posted:

I do wonder what the breakdown looks like - is it that most people want a few things cut, but the things they want cut all differ wildly?

Pretty much. The only universal belief is that the government spends way too much money on things that aren't that important. Everyone differs on what the things are

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It is well-settled law that states cannot regulate interstate travel so should be a fun series of court cases (until it reaches scotus, at least)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It means they value architecture and possibly preventative maintenance

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Beast Pussy posted:

This has been the longest Tuesday of my life, but I'm glad to see trump was correct about his prediction to be indicted today.

For you, the day Trump was indicted was the longest Tuesday of your life. But for me it was... also Tuesday

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Becoming and staying president is a major impediment to any investigations or penalties, so there’s his motivation to stay in the race. He won’t stop running unless he’s dead or legally barred from doing it, and if it’s the latter he’ll be trying to pull strings and weasel around it like he tried in Georgia

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

PhazonLink posted:

I hope those investments are boring indexes and not stupid meme stock poo poo or buttcoinz or else its going to be pointless.

A 401k typically does not give you free rein to pick your own investments, so if your company's finance guys aren't morons they will be forced to invest in boring indexes

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Madkal posted:

I noticed a few bars are serving non alcoholic beers and while I am not a big fan of the taste I know people that are.

This is probably less about health and more about customers who have no choice about not drinking alcohol (pregnant, medicated, religious)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

CuddleCryptid posted:

Buddy, you're supposed to be going "actually I am losing on purpose, this is all part of the plan" *after* you start losing, not *before*.

I'm actually looking forward to being bodyslammed by one dozen perfect wrestlers. And I'm not biting my cheek, I'm pressing victory grapes

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Jaxyon posted:

Pay for all the projects up front, overpay if you have to.

Also structure them so that if work stops the IRS cannot function at all

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

bird food bathtub posted:

I can hear the Republican fapping from across space and time. Still worth doing I guess but this would be a wet dream for their donors.

Their donors don't want the US to default on all its debts, which would happen pretty fast if the IRS halted all operations

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I love how the position is "you are ABSOLUTELY NOT ALLOWED to discriminate on the basis of gender identity. unless you want to win, then go hog wild"

Just perfectly calibrated to enrage both sides

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If the house refuses to seat them when the law says they should get seated, they go to court. If they win (very likely) and still don’t get seated, then the fun really starts

Ideally at some point the electorate would get sick of this poo poo, but, well, you’d think that would have happened earlier in this process

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

I’m more surprised that a single person can jam up the senate for a year and no one has done it yet.

A single person has always been able to jam individual items forever without obstructing other business, that’s the procedural filibuster we all know and love. Doing it in a way that materially obstructs all other senate business makes all the other senators hate you. Plus now you have the actual military playing the national security card, even the most shitheaded republican theoretically wants to avoid that

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Randalor posted:

So how do they resolve this? One on one duel at dawn? Rap battle? Baseball game between judicial staff?

It goes up the chain of appeals until it hits a court to which both of them are inferior, which issues its own ruling that overrides them. If that court isn’t SCOTUS, it then gets appealed to SCOTUS for a final ruling

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

I AM GRANDO posted:

It’s both. They summoned a monster and nobody really knows what it’s going to do next.

They directly impacted too many complacent voters and it turns out their ideas are a lot less popular than they thought

haveblue fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Apr 8, 2023

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

I AM GRANDO posted:

I don’t think they ever thought their ideas were popular. But they did think that they had seized enough institutions to maintain control. But their base of lead-brained seniors and weird kids raised to believe the lies were true got out from under them and now we’re having a very interesting time.

It's more that, they didn't think their ideas would generate as much of a backlash as they did, especially in the voting booth. That's the thrust of the opinion piece in the tweet- they thought the outrage over Dobbs would be regional and short-lived, because they were too deep in the right-wing bubble to recognize that they were messing with what a large swath of the population considers fundamental human rights, or that it would generate an unending flood of horrifying news stories

There's certainly a core of sociopaths who are fully aware and enthusiastic about undemocratically forcing their views on others, but wrapped around them is a supporting infrastructure of kool-aid drinkers who they need to actually implement it. And these are the ones like Coulter who are starting to notice things are not going according to plan

Zamujasa posted:

Well, created a monster. They have been providing it a constant diet of hate and fear, after all.

Things are going to be very interesting when/if the crazy sect manages to take over completely. And by "interesting" I mean "I hope I have secured an imminent plan to leave the country forever".

The crazy sect has arguably taken over already- it is no longer possible to be a pro-choice Republican or even a pro-ban-with-exceptions Republican. It's fetal personhood or you get drummed out of the party

haveblue fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Apr 8, 2023

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
When we last checked in on the DeSantis-Disney feud, Disney had used their final moments of full control of the Reedy Creek Improvement District to have the district sign over every power and right that it could to the Disney corporation directly, leaving the new toady administration with almost nothing to do and few ways to interfere with it. But DeSantis has vowed not to give up trying to gently caress with one of the largest employers and revenue generators in his state:

quote:

In his latest remarks, DeSantis appeared irritated by media reports on the battle with Disney and the idea that the company “pulled one over on the state.”

“There will be a lot that comes out over the next month or two, but suffice it to say, the legislature is going to void anything Disney did on the way out the door,” DeSantis said. “But now that Disney has reopened this issue, we’re not just going to void the development agreement they tried to do, we’re going to look at things like taxes on hotels, we’re going to look at things like tolls on the roads, we’re going to look at things like developing some of the property that the district owns.”

In his remarks, he also was clear that the move to strip Disney of control over Reedy Creek was in response to its position on the parental rights bill. “We just had to look at this and say, ‘OK, do they have a quote, First Amendment right to be advocating for gender ideology in Kindergarten? Yeah, I guess. Is that honestly faithful to their fiduciary duty to their shareholders? I don’t think so. But that’s not really in my wheelhouse as governor, but what I can tell you as governor is that under no circumstances should the state of Florida be subsidizing woke activism by allowing them to have their own government. So we took it away.”

The sacrifice of Florida on the altar of a most likely doomed presidential run continues. "Competent fascist" really starting to look half-true at best

haveblue fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Apr 8, 2023

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
We already had the furry panic, it happened across the internet and on these very forums in the 00s

Then the furries learned that they should keep their sex lives in the bedroom like everyone else and it died down

Unlike most LGBT identities, only a very small subset of furries wants to be openly furry in public 24/7, so it's harder to point at them and scream

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I feel like there is increasing recognition among the younger generations that their taxes do not have to rise much, if at all, to produce radical changes in government spending and programs. The upper brackets and the corporations can pay for it. The "temporarily embarrassed millionaire" thing may be dying out as Americans accept that they are never going to be rich

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Plus Biden can keep his hands clean, the FDA can choose to comply with the “don’t change the status quo” order while the White House appeals through proper channels

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

5th circuit is already hearing an appeal on the Texas decision, pretty much as asap as courts go. Nobody is talking about Washington because everyone agrees they made the correct call.

Also the Texas order was stayed for a week, so we are not yet in the cool zone where two conflicting orders are in force. And absent the Texas order, the Washington order has no practical effect

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
In the RvW example, the type of noncompliance being discussed here would have taken the form of a state criminalizing early-term abortion and then prosecuting someone for it over a federal court's objection. No state did this. They erected ridiculous legal obstacle courses around abortion, but if you beat those hurdles and obtained one you were home free (if out a lot of time and money)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Pleasant Friend posted:

Who is going to be the first person to volunteer to make cultured meat out of their own butt and then eat their own butt?

Think bigger. Who will be the first person to eat a celebrity or historical figure's butt

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Clarste posted:

Isn't the USA doing terribly on a billion metrics, compared to other wealthy nations? Although I believe the classic conservative response to that is "well, they don't have any [Minority] mucking it up!"

Nowadays the conservative response is more "it's better for business if we don't mandate <human-friendly policy>"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

reignonyourparade posted:

It's not so much Mike Pence fans that would drop him that's driving this as fear of the politically inactive getting motivated by the prospective of national abortion bans.

Yeah, he’s not trying to say he supports a limited ban, he’s trying to avoid stating his position on a full ban

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

FlamingLiberal posted:

The 5th circuit partially upheld the ruling by the crazy Texas judge last night 2-1. They are ordering a mail ban of the drug and saying that doctors cannot use it after 7 weeks

https://twitter.com/steve_vladeck/status/1646476977744801792?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

How does this interact with the "don't change anything" order, which didn't come from the 5th circuit?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There was the extremely funny moment in the 2016 campaign when someone led Trump to say that women who have abortions should be punished and the entire right convulsed in one frantic "nooooo you're giving the game away"

haveblue fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 14, 2023

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It's not really Alito personally doing it or an indication of which way anyone is going on the merits of the case. This is just an emergency stay because the court is going to take up the case and they want a few days to review.

Also wouldn't it have to be Alito regardless because he's the one associated with the fifth circuit?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, it may be ridiculous and unscientific but do you want to be a doctor arguing the point in court?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

James Garfield posted:

You need a majority vote in the house to impeach Clarence Thomas

Sure but you only need one committee chair to say "let's do an investigation"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If only some part of the US legal system were able to decide what counts as bribery

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Fister Roboto posted:

Honestly it's kind of silly that representatives have to be physically present in the capitol to vote. Seems like maybe our government should consider taking this newfangled invention of instantaneous global communication into account.

The House temporarily had remote voting during the height of the pandemic. If it hadn’t been removed when the GOP took the house, it’s definitely gone now

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Responding to both of these, if Feinstein could "work from home" then the Democrats would be able to appoint several liberal judges, while if this situation continues indefinitely, the Republicans could eventually take power in that committee and appoint reactionary ghouls instead. So obviously it is preferable that Feinstein gets a WFH exemption or whatever other legal fiction enables her political machine to function.

The contemporary judiciary committee aspect of this argument, at least, may become moot shortly, as Feinstein has asked to be removed from the committee until she returns to DC.

quote:

“I understand that my absence could delay the important work of the Judiciary Committee,” Ms. Feinstein said in a statement on Wednesday night, after two House Democrats publicly called on her to leave the Senate. “So I’ve asked Leader Schumer to ask the Senate to allow another Democratic senator to temporarily serve until I’m able to resume my committee work.”

Of course, it wouldn't be the Senate without taking the chance of minority-induced paralysis for no good reason:

quote:

Replacing Ms. Feinstein on the committee would require Democrats to pass a resolution, which would need some degree of bipartisan support — either the unanimous consent of the Senate or 60 votes. It is not clear whether Republicans, who want to hold up President Biden’s judicial nominations, would support such a measure.

Greatest deliberative body in the world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
*pounding table* mint. the. coin. mint. the. coin.