Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

External Organs posted:

Badass thread!! And quoting myself from a few days ago in the other thread:

How many dungeons? Too many 2D-Zelda-likes have promise but throw in like 3 dungeons and call it a day. Snooze

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Genuinely feel like I'm the only one not hyped for this game. I feel like there's just too little known and for someone like me who's creatively bankrupt in games I'm just going to be 'ah, boulder and random thing, sure that's a weapon"

We still don't really know what the story even is, and it looks like there's only 2 cutscenes as far as we know. Haven't seen any NPC's, haven't seen anything dungeon like or could be seen as a setpiece... it's just kind of nothing all around. I don't need to know why the sky islands are around but I'd like to have a inkling as to why I'd want to even go up there for example, what it adds to the game, anything.

I dunno, I play Zelda for the puzzles and memorable dungeons/fights and characters (as well as the music) and after BotW stripped out most of that just to go 'big sandbox go!' I'm increasingly nervous that they stripped even more away to just be the same thing but with even less to make it stand out outside the goofy poo poo more creative people will make

E: I want to like Zelda again. Hyrule Warriors of all things even redeemed a lot of the BotW cast to me by giving them actual personalities. Am I going to have to wait for another spinoff to actually care about the setting?

Honestly, maybe check out the leaked art book

It's the one that comes with the special edition so it's all selected in a such a way that you could look through the whole thing before starting the game. There are next to no plot spoilers (the closest thing to a spoiler is a look at some important new NPCs who were hinted at in the earlier trailers)

It's full of so much that hasn't been shown off, and yet I still know nothing about the story, I'm just way more hyped and know how weird and different this game is going to be. They still haven't really shown anything in the footage to date.

So yeah that's my recommendation if you're feeling a bit unsold on this game. Art book rules. I flipped through it all going "holy poo poo what is THAT" every 3 pages

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

SyRauk posted:

Hoping we get way more musical puzzles and references in this one.

Kass: Ah, Master Link! Just the hero I was hoping to encounter. Allow me to share with you a marvelous discovery I've made. As I wandered the far reaches of Hyrule, I stumbled upon a curious set of musical notes hidden within an ancient tome. When played together, they appear to evoke the spirit of past legends and bring forth memories of those who have come before us. Use your instrument to follow along and learn this Ancient Melody.

Monkey's paw curls: you now have to collect 10,000 of those musical note things from skyward sword (tadtones?) around hyrule

GOTY honestly

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Vikar Jerome posted:

when link is falling in sky in the demo, the ascend icon is greyed out but soon as he hits and goes under the water, the icon is green again but when he surfaces it goes gray... could it be... COULD IT BE

proper underwater exploration and you use the ascend to get back to the surface quickly?

This pretty much confirms underwater swimming yeah

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

FooF posted:

From a story perspective, I'm very curious why Zonai tech has replaced Sheikah almost universally. I mean, I'm sure there's some narrative handwave that accomplishes this but damned if I know what it is. It has to happen from the very beginning. Maybe some time travel shenanigans?

What if this is some alternate universe Link has slipped into, where the Sheikah never existed or died out or something, and instead the Zonai built their own towers and structures around Hyrule, and also excavated a bunch of the underground, and somehow made lots of floating islands too

There's not a single Sheikah tower or shrine from BOTW visible anywhere, they've all totally vanished.

More to hint at this: in one of the newest Gamexplain analysis videos they point out the region borders (like for the 15 main regions) on the minimap don't match the same regions from BOTW.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

MokBa posted:

okay khanstant after this post I'm now in your corner

We're all expecting caves so that's the one thing where I really hope we haven't all built a collective fantasy over

I mean the trailer earlier this year showed a massive underground cave with stalactites on the ceiling and enemies mining and stuff

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

MokBa posted:

Yeah but what if it’s just like, one cave. Personally I want to discover a completely new layer of exploration right under Hyrule. Or at least I’m hoping some of the dungeons are a throwback to the original game and are underground.

I'm hoping it goes down as deep as the sky islands go up

I'm talking about a Hallownest amount of caverns below hyrule 🤤

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Personally, Marvel's Spiderman on PS4 was unplayable garbage and only worth $10 at most because it was set on a map I was already familiar with, New York City

No it doesnt matter that it apparently had "phenomenal gameplay" and "lots to do" and "many surprises" - i already knew going in that central park was north of the empire state buiulding and i couldnt fuckin play that trash

should have been dlc for google maps

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
God this is some really good analysis of the gameplay about how Recall is the power that sticks out as different from the rest, and how its icon and similar ones on the special edition OLED Switch and on the pins that come with the collectors edition of the game might hint at Link's other powers in the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-KzZSDuAWk

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
God I hope there's one more gameplay video before launch

Another aonuma video where he's like "today let's take a look at one of the game's dungeons" and does like one room puzzle and maybe a miniboss but we learn from the video that there's many dungeons in the game and they're all uniquely themed

And then 1 or 2 weeks out we get a really cool story trailer that gives away nothing but amplifies everyone's hype

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Hope this is the January 2017 BotW trailer of TotK.

E: oh poo poo 3 minutes long

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Apr 12, 2023

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Jaw agape

Each thing they showed was more nuts than the previous thing

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Any chucklefucks still think this only looks like more of the same from BOTW?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Procrastine posted:

Phantom Hourglass is a direct sequel to Wind Waker though

Direct sequel more like directly to the rubbish bin

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I love the saxophone part

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
You should be able to send items back and forth through time by putting them in a receptacle like the toilet in day of the tentacle

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I must be the only person in the universe who enjoyed the underwater forest part of Skyward Sword

Like I keep saying, it's like a cute lil banjo kazooie level in my Zelda for a bit of a chill diversion

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The dungeons are the best part of almost every Zelda game

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uI3rO3PbYOo

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Kassad posted:

The glider is probably something you'll only get after exploring a lot, just because it doesn't look cobbled together like the other flying machines they've shown.

What if that's like a fixed path thing you can ride on but not control, it just does tours from island to island like a flying carpet kinda thing

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7q3dxXl2g9U

That's her soul... :stonk:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

oh drat, didnt realize that the pachinko machines give out zonai parts that you can store in your inventory for later. That fuckin rocks and means that I can always have a few fans or rockets on hand in case I need to make a janky Revali's Gale by fusing them to my shield and surfing into the sky

cant wait for this game

Don't start calling them pachinko machines too, god

Zeltik keeps getting that so wrong. They're gacha machines

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I just realised all the sky footage we've seen has been during the day. I wonder what it's gonna be like up there at night, or in a thunderstorm

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I caved (haha) and looked at a leaked map of the entire underground and I think my mind just exploded holy poo poo

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Yeah we all fuckin know

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm gonna be on an interstate trip with friends, taking my dock so I hope the hotel TV lets me access the HDMI port :ohdear:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

External Organs posted:

I've got great news about the Nintendo Switch!

Nahhh I like to start games on my big tv then move to handheld after a few days. Really wanna soak in the visuals on a big screen first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I can't believe they appointed him head of Nintendo of America and he paid them back by using his insider access to pirate everything smh smh