Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Snake Maze posted:

Make sure you're following the questline in the village. It's possible to enter the dungeon early without actually being able to do anything there yet, frustratingly enough.

Yeah this happened to me. I spent like 2 hours in the temple wondering what the gently caress I had to do to turn the stupid gears. Finally resorted to google which pointed out I was a moron and had missed advancing the quest. That whole section is a lot easier when done as intended, lol. I was mad.

I know the conceit of the game is being able to do whatever you want but they really should have put something toward the start of the climb that’s impossible without having the companion. Instead of having the impossible gate come much much later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

duodenum posted:

My son refuses to spend 10 minutes at a pot making meals to heal up or to make elixirs, he'd rather just freak out and eat all the apples and mushrooms in his inventory every time he nearly dies.

My 6 year old son loves this game but every time I let him play I live in fear of what rare item he’s going to have used or sold for no reason

Frankston posted:

I do like that the fire temple just lets you completely trivialise it by climbing and gliding everywhere instead of using the minecart tracks.

Yeah put me in that bucket too. I could not for the life of me figure out the “right” path but thankfully it doesn’t matter at all and you can just fuckin spider man your way through

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Phenotype posted:

Got through the Fire Temple last night. Really feel good about saving the Gorons from the crack epidemic and wish it were that easy in real life. Also not a big fan of my new Goron buddy. I'm pretty sure he's saying "I can do it!" but it really, really feels like he's yelling "why'd you do it??" very accusingly at me. (Actually, the Rito buddy kinda sucks too, made me feel like I'm guest-starring in an episode of DuckTales, but at least he's mostly shut up now that he's in ghost form.)

How do I go about getting the Master Sword? I haven't wanted to google it in case of spoilers, but I haven't even gotten a breadcrumb or anything yet, and I'm 2 temples in and explored quite a bit of the map now. I forget how it worked in BotW, but I thought I'd been pointed there by now but had been put off by the heart requirement.

e: gently caress I gotta go find the korok forest, don't i?

It took me quite a while to realize he wasn’t saying “why’d you do it?” like I had just killed his mom or something

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I spent a long time wishing I could flip B and X. It didn’t even occur to me they would let you remap buttons. By the time I found the setting I was used to it enough I didn’t want to learn the controls a second time lol

Agree that I still accidentally throw my weapon far too often and only seem to activate sage abilities when I don’t want to.

Putting sages on a radial menu like ultra hand etc seems so obvious. I dunno how you improve the other stuff, there’s so many actions it’s always going to feel busy and you just gotta get used to it I guess.

Game owns so hard though that any complaints are very minor overall

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I think it’s intentional. If you build or move some poo poo and then save because you’re not sure you insane maneuver will work, often it will all be undone after a reload. They seem to want to avoid save scumming.

Edit: unrelated, last night literally as I was killing the last monster in a cave, a blood moon popped and respawned the entire loving place on my head lol. I was mad.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

PageMaster posted:

Yes, those. I thought I was being smart by tagging locations above light roots to check shrines there. For a game that just let me stumble into the master sword, I assumed the game just wanted me to get a little more creative in how i'm traveling (similar to how I got to the forest in the first place), and didn't think they they would be locked behind a quest until now because I could already see them from the right spots.

This is more or less how I bumbled into being in the wind temple without having gotten the companion that actually makes it possible. Thinking the game wanted me to creatively solve a puzzle when it’s actually one of the rare situations you are supposed to be fully on quest rails.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Tunicate posted:

turns out multiple rockets on a construction don't stack

Yeah I was on a sky island and found a pile of like 8 rockets. I was sad when I set them all off and instead of launching me into orbit it just burned through all my battery in a quarter of a second

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Phenotype posted:

I finished the third temple yesterday and I should probably start thinking about finishing the game at some point here, with Street Fighter 6 and Diablo 4 out, and Final Fantasy 16 in a couple weeks. I'm nowhere near what feels like "endgame" progression, though, even though I've got like 15 hearts and two stamina wheels and level 2-3 gear. I've only got 3 full batteries and it feels like I've barely explored much of the Depths and I've only seen a handful of sky islands. I dunno, the world is just SO big with SO much stuff going on.

So what are the must-see quests and stuff that everyone's run into? I've still got the Water Temple and that area of the map to do, but otherwise I've explored (at least scratched the surface) most of the land regions now, and I dunno what I really need to do before doing the last phenomena and trying to finish up. I don't want to miss anything really cool, though!

This is pretty much where I am too. Just have the Gerudo regional disturbance to do. I prioritized these because in BotW I did it the other way. Got so caught up in side quests and hunting shrines and Koroks and generally loving around that I burned out and never finished the game. My normal gamerbrain strategy is to prefer side quests and only progress the main story when there's nothing left. But there is SO MUCH GODDAM poo poo TO DO in these games that it's not viable. So this time I'm trying to push through the main quests first, then I'll screw around until I feel up to fighting Ganon. Even just doing the main story and side adventure stuff is dozens of hours of content

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

bawk posted:

Finishing the very last shrine, just occurred to me: they have these neat hands basically serving as Floormasters in this game, I wonder if they thought of/maybe tried having them crawl along the ceiling at some point?

It's one thing to walk into a cave and see the pool of Gloom appear to make you go "oh gently caress oh poo poo" but I think it'd be next-level if you were walking around a cave with ceilings juuuuust high enough to be out of view, and then hear that same noise coming from seemingly nowhere.

I encountered Hands for the first time last night at the north lomei labyrinth. And this is exactly what happened lol. After reaching the end, I stopped to think about where I wanted to go next. Huh weird why is that extremely threatening piano bassline playing? *Hands whip around the corner* SURPRISE MOTHERFUCKER. Jump scare got me good :haw:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

if it's like BOTW it's beating enemies

Yeah from what I’ve read it’s this. With more powerful monsters counting for more “XP” and main story bosses counting for a ton. Some say quests and/or shrines play into it too but you naturally do a lot of combat in the course of progressing the story so I don’t know how you’d tease that apart.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Runcible Cat posted:

I finally put my big hero pants on and fought them when I very obviously had to to save the Deku Tree.

They and their goopy friend chewed through all my fairies, all my sundelion meals and the 2 best weapons I had on me but I gottem all first go. And squelchy got finished off with an about-to-break cobble crusher, which was strangely satisfying.

I used the cheese strat posted earlier in the thread get to high ground and spam bomb arrows as they helplessly mill around which works great if there's somewhere appropriate to do it nearby

And I had that same experience with the Water temple boss. I was down to like a 4 damage tree branch fused with a horn, for some reason all my poo poo was breaking instantly on him. Legit thought I was going to run out of weapons. No problemo :c00lbutt:

PageMaster posted:

Lol, did this and emerged in a mud pit which immediately killed me. Game goes hard to eliminate conveniences.

Also is the reward for the mayoral election any good or just like 50 rupees? Getting flashbacks to Xenoblade Chronicles side quests trying to find exact person at exact time of day to give out mushrooms.

lmao

The big reward is a REALLY funny looking hat. So, yes, definitely worth

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jun 6, 2023

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - fluid dynamics is incredibly complicated

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

bawk posted:

y'all cowards don't even eat marble rock roast

:lol:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Chronicler of Dongs posted:

This kind of bugged me more than I care to admit and I'm sure it was already discussed in the last 300 pages. The guardians I can see being dismantled so they're not littering the landscape anymore but it would've been neat to see more parts being repurposed around the kingdom.

But yeah what the hell happened to the shrines? Some would've been buried, but in spots where there should definitely be one right out in the open there's just nothing there at all. Did Hyrule's scrap metal freaks come out and dismantle every single shrine?

Having worked at an ISP where meth heads were constantly breaking into our remote sites and stripping them of every molecule of copper they could find, this seems plausible

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Bruceski posted:

Hmm, would it be Wind Wakier or Windier Waker?

2 Windy 2 Woke

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I really wish I hadn’t ruined the wind temple for myself by accidentally getting up there without being on the right stage of the quest. Cause it seems to be a fan favorite but I just associate it with being mad lol

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I liked the fire boss. A few attempts to figure out wtf does he even do. A few to figure out how to respond, and a few to execute it cleanly. Felt like good progress each pull.

Agree the water boss was just a boring slog and rip if you miss with the water guy ability have fun running around in circles waiting for it to come off cooldown.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

The Postman posted:

Insane game. How did they do this???

Did you see the documentary film Cocaine Bear? Kind of like that but with nerds instead of bears

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

dodgeblan posted:

liberated fishing town with rock man friend, bird boy and a robot cannon. the combat is a clusterfuck but an enjoyable one. I know there are people who play this like dark souls but for me it's the anti dark souls where the goal is to never interact with the enemies timings at all. It also helps that you can avoid most attacks by just running the gently caress away. I don't think I even know where the dodge button is.

l really need to practice dodge/parry more. Like 80% of the time I time it wrong and jump backwards but get no flurry rush and somehow get hit anyway. Or I hit B instead of X and just stand there and eat poo poo.

This isn't the game's fault. I'm just bad.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

Glory to Master Kohga

Has someone made a mod where all the Hudson signs are swapped to Kohga signs yet. Get on it, nerds

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

epic bacon posted:

does anyone else have the feeling of like "i'm satisfied with the amount of Zelda i have played today" and then shortly afterwards you find yourself catching up with this thread and 15 posts in you're like "i desperately need to play Zelda more than anything in the world right now"

yes, it has been extremely bad for my sleep

Steve Yun posted:

There’s just too much to remember that you can do in this game

Last night I spent way too much time jackhammering away at a cave that was 100% filled with rock only to remember oh yeah I coulda brought out a cannon

I'm currently grinding through the Gazette quests and I thought I had discovered all the stables. Then I got 2 in a row where I was like "you want me to go loving where?" Game big.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

:five:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

AstraZenmaster posted:

So, amazing game, clearly.

But I'm a bit miffed (Rito spoilers) that the game allows you to find your way all the way up to the wind temple by yourself, without alerting you to the fact that you must have your little bird buddy with you to get through it.

I'd found the book in Rito Village revealing the legend of the boats in the sky, figured it was a pretty clear hint to go explore up there... then followed little birdy dude up the mountain path, but took the wrong fork just before getting to the cave. Instead found a big Rito guy who told me that my princess was in another castle, got frustrated, saw a tower in the distance and went off to explore.

That led me to some sky islands with bits to build a mobile platform, with steering and fans... then I used rockets I'd collected from the gumball machine to boost all the way up.

I managed to get there but got a red-X when trying to activate the Zonai gate - but it let me solve a bunch of riddles, unlock chests, etc, without ever indicating that I'd skipped an essential part of the buildup - I only realized it after giving up and heading to Google. Seems like a bit of a failure of storyline contingency planning - a little disappointing...

Catching up on the thread and I'm glad I'm not the only one who got owned by this. I had felt pretty clever puzzling out where I needed to go from the hints in town and finding my way through challenging terrain. Only to spend the next 2 hours combing every inch of the temple feeling increasingly bad about myself because I couldn't figure out what extremely obvious thing I was missing to get these loving GEARS TO TURN. Turns out, I was missing something extremely important and it is actually supposed to be very signposted and easy :v: I just blew right past the first signpost.

I know the whole point of the game is to solve poo poo your own way. But if a quest is going to be totally impossible without doing step A, it would be cool if they didn't let you do steps B-X before throwing up the brick wall. Put the impassable barrier way earlier. To be fair, this is the only time in this insanely massive open world game where I've felt like the designers let me down. Which is drat impressive. But coming so early in the game it almost put me off wanting to continue. I'm real glad I did.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

A while ago someone posted that if they were an average Joe in Hyrule looking for work they’d absolutely choose to sign up with the Yiga. And hell, same. They’ve achieved the fantasy version of a base on the dark side of the moon. Whereas even accomplished adults on the surface need Link’s help to feed and clothe themselves and have the emotional maturity of my 6 year old.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Asterite34 posted:

The rewards suck, but the experience is cool at least.

Still got a fun "Oh what the gently caress!?" moment in the Hebra Labyrinth running around avoiding the Gloom Hands like a Pac Man ghost until I got to the center, then started taunting them from behind the bars. Que activating the doodad, getting the message that the Sky Labyrinth was open, and looking around and seeing the sudden absence of bars, producing a feeling like being at a zoo and suddenly noticing there's no actual glass between you and the tiger enclosure

Yeah that spot was the first time I encountered gloom hands. I got to the end of the labyrinth and was standing around at the shrine deciding what to do next. Then the scary music kicks in and Hands come ripping around the corner like SURPRISE MOTHERFUCKER. Finally get them down after a few tries and SURPRISE AGAIN MOTHERFUCKER Phantom Ganon lol. Was so good. The brief horror game vignettes when you don't expect them are fun.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Captain Hygiene posted:

I saw it mentioned in passing here, but I don't remember seeing anything about it in game. I don't know if I would've noticed on my own, I wound down my first playthrough with 1/3 of a battery in the second row so I wouldn't have had very long to think about trying it if I hadn't known already.

I’m finding the depths pretty dull and tedious so I have like 3 batteries done. Don’t think I ever would have learned this without internet help.

It’s self fulfilling though. I don’t super enjoy the Zelda Minecraft angle (although I love seeing the videos the sickos who do enjoy it post) so I don’t do the stuff that makes it easier. If I had 5 more batteries I’d probably like driving around the depths in search of zonanite a lot more. But driving around sucks rear end when your battery only lasts 10 seconds so I don’t do it…

Persistence pays off big in this game though so I should probably suck it up and grind out a couple more dumb batteries so simple vehicles are fun instead of pissing me off

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Spanish Manlove posted:

It's not as much of a deal as you think

Yeah I was pretty mad when I heard they kept durability but it's really not been much of a problem. The game loving showers you in weapons and fuse material. It sucks worst early on when everything is scarce and you break your only good weapon and have to drop down to a 2 damage tree branch or whatever. But you reach a point where you're leaving decent items to rot cause your inventory is full.

I do wish fuse was less clunky to use. I die a lot during combat trying to fuse something and a mob clobbers me while I'm fumbling with 5 different buttons

HootTheOwl posted:

One thing I learned in BOTW, that I relearned here in TOTK is: You don't have to engage with every monster who aggros you. It's a much bigger deal earlier in the game where just about everything kills you in one shot, and it's pretty annoying in the depths when you stumble across a boss between you and that lightroot you're chasing, but you can (and I do) just runaway from most monsters because they're not worth the rust on my blade.

I do this pretty often if I don't feel like dealing with a bunch of stupid rear end bokoblins hollering at me in return for a rusty claymore. You can avoid most combat if you don't feel like it

https://twitter.com/dasharez0ne/status/979810839749210112

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Giggy posted:

My main problem with durability is that I strongly disagree with the idea it encourages experimentation. If anything I think it can do the opposite even if it's partially a mental issue on my part. Instead of experimenting, for most encounters I usually ended up using whatever weapon I didn't mind losing as opposed to a weapon I thought would be more fun or appropriate.

Yeah I can agree with this, and also that it's my own hangup rather than inherent in the system. Outside of bosses, every encounter I'm looking for the shittiest weapon I can get through this with so I don't break something "important". It gives me great anxiety when my 6 year old plays and is like "Imma use this 70 damage gloom spear to kill chu chus and skeletons"

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

HPanda posted:

In particular, the Hylian Set is all purchased for cheap in the first quest hub area, so it’s a good candidate for upgrades. It also needs generic enough parts that you’ll get them as you need them pretty much (the amber req is a bit much, but those things are everywhere).

It’s generic, but it absolutely suits the “armor” needs the game is expecting. I have two of the pieces at 3 and one at 4, and silver enemies just do what I would consider to be reasonable damage while I wear it.

Yeah this is my daily driver. It’s boring but very easy to upgrade so whatever. At some point I’d like to upgrade my barbarian armor but I kinda can’t be assed to farm a billion Lynels

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

I finally got a hoverbike that doesn’t drift

Is there an ideal part of the fans to glue vertical-wise or is it all the same

I gotta fuckin try this again. My hoverbike drifts like Link's riding it 12 beers deep. And that's after I spent a while improving it

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

HPanda posted:

Also, and I can’t stress this enough, go straight to Lookout Landing after hitting the surface and do the main quests there. BotW had me in the mindset that the big quest I got after leaving tutorial land was the ultimate final quest, so should go exploring for other stuff. Not having the paraglider for a weirdly long time is what got me to finally glance at a website to see if they for some reason took that out of the game. And then I felt silly.

Turns out the quests there quickly unlock some of the most important basic tools.

Yeah definitely. Right after getting off tutorial island I talked to someone or maybe read a sign that mentioned weird poo poo happening at Kakariko Village. So I decided to try and make my way over there. It's a sandbox, go do whatever you want! Turns out the game sucks rear end without having extremely basic conveniences like the glider and a home base and the sky towers active to reveal the map. I started having a lot more fun once I got through the Lookout Landing quests. It's really an extension of the tutorial phase and that was not at all clear to me.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I haven't touched or thought about BotW in like 5 years so I just plain didn't remember the towers were a thing or what they did

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

lol my friend just texted me that his kids overwrote his save like 40 hours in to start a new game. loving owned. Crazy how easy it is to blow away your progress.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

:lmao:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

I didn't realize the Emperor of Japan was descended from cat goat men

Tbh this is less weird than a lot of real world creation myths

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

The water buff seems pretty OP the more I play with it. I just wish it was less of a pain in the rear end to activate. Somehow I can activate the god drat wind gust every 5 seconds whether I want it or not. But Sidon is never anywhere to be found during a fight.

Really I wish the gust only worked if you have the glider out. On the ground it’s anywhere from annoying to actively harmful.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Bismack Billabongo posted:

I am continuing my slow, leisurely rescue of hurtle. Finished 3/4 regional phenomena last night.

Definitely enjoyed the actual Fire Temple more than the Sky or Water versions. The lead up to sky and water was better but I liked the minecart stuff. I do wish there was a little more combat stuff involved in these but whatever.

The boss was way too easy, at least the Sky temple monster had the insane spectacle and kickass dive bombing. The idea of shooting yunobo up the rafters was cool but outside of the quarter heart damage you take from getting tossed off the boss, I didn’t get damaged a single time. Hoping the gerudo temples boss is a bit more challenging.

Finally started getting silver baddies to show up on the way up death mountain. I am probably “over leveled” for the regional phenomena quests at this point as a result but they’re still fun.

Definitely starting to hit a little bit of a wall as far as exploration goes, I think I’m gonna have to start tapping out on some of the stable quests and similar stuff soon. On the bright side, I think the vehicle building stuff is starting to be a little more fun now that I have sufficient battery to actually power stuff for a little while, and access to basically all the parts I need.

The nice thing about how the leveling works is that I don’t think you can really over level and screw yourself. I guess if you’ve completely ignored shrines in favor of story progression and have like 6 hearts it would be a little rough. Yeah you start encountering silver mobs but you also start finding higher quality weapons and mobs drop better items to fuse onto them. So as long as you aren’t stubbornly using 4 damage bokoblin horns on a 4 damage club combat should mostly feel fine. If you keep progressing one of the main quests you will also get a very nice weapon

Make sure you’re upgrading your armor. Getting the Hylian set to 3 stars is trivial and 4 stars isn’t that bad compared to some sets. It will tamp down incoming damage A LOT

Finally don’t be stingy with consumables. Make a lot of +3 banana dishes and it’ll be noticeable. Food ingredients are very easy to come by, no reason to hoard.

Basically yeah combat gets harder but your tool kit to handle it grows too, you just have to make a point of using it

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Captain Hygiene posted:

I got blowed up by lightning in it

Healthy young Hylian goes out in a storm, gets pumped with massive shot of lightning, doesn’t feel good and changes - GLOOM. Many such cases!

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I’m now in the killing time before final boss phase. This feels like a weird complaint but I wish there were fewer armor sets to find. At this point I just roll my eyes when I open a chest and it’s somehow the start of yet another set instead of the second or third piece of one of the other 20 I already have

It’s cool I guess that they have fan service poo poo from every Zelda game ever but I would enjoy having a few finished sets over an infinitely growing pile of mismatched tunics.

Link’s insane t shirt collection was the fight that made him move out and get his own place again, wasn’t it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

HPanda posted:

On one hand, having them all out definitely gets in the way a whole bunch and trying to gather stuff on the ground inevitably means the world will turn yellow while I get covered in water, the ingredients will be set on fire and blown off a cliff, all while I jump onto another sage’s back and accidentally leap off the cliff myself. Because some rear end in a top hat decided that both gathering and activating each sage’s power would use the “A” button.

On the other, I do love watching a bokoblin get stunned by one sage and then slammed off a cliff by another.

Most of the time they’re just annoying. But every so often the sage AI seems to click and you just stand back and watch as your posse beats the poo poo out of some poor mob, kicking it around between them like a hacky sack til it dies. Feels like I’m hyrule Tony Soprano :c00lbert: