Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

To ensure it is preserved for posterity:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Fifty Three posted:

The Legend of Zelda: Tears in the Fandom

Petition to change the thread title to this in the unlikely event the game is bad and makes everyone mad

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

...I'm impressed with everyone's restraint that I haven't heard an "Ultrahandjob" joke yet

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Why is this $70 wtf nintendo

Tears of the Fin-dom

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Calling it now, Zelda "dies" at the end by undergoing apotheosis and returning to the Golden Realm as the goddess Hylia, essentially reversing Hylia incarnating as the mortal Zelda back in Skyward Sword. It's gonna be pretty bittersweet

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

External Organs posted:

How Zelda got her Groose Back

New thread title

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

It is neat how they showed off all the new toys and abilities and stuff earlier, and now they're starting to show off all the new obstacles that require this new tool set. New movement options for the sheer scale and verticality of everything, new combat tools for all the new and remixed enemies, seemingly more NPC stuff because shits getting so intricate that you're gonna need more in-universe sources of info just to find and interact with stuff.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Blaziken386 posted:

an important thing we havent yet considered from the trailer:

hateno got mushroomized

I always figured that those Hateno Village guys were the House Telvanni of Hyrule

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Zat posted:

Well, it is in fact the first Switch game to have a 32-gigabyte cartridge (until now the biggest game cards were 16 GB). However, the game still only takes 18.2 GB, which is impressive.

So what you're saying is... the game COULD have been 13.8 GB bigger? :thunk:

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Mr E posted:

I hope with him looking like WW dorf that we stab him with a downward stab again.

Oh we're gonna get him with the mother of all downward stabs...

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

The Maroon Hawk posted:

The more I think about it the more I think we will get at least some time with Zelda - there’s two scenes in the trailer where she’s referring to Link when he’s clearly not there, what context in-game would lead us to see those if we were playing exclusively from his perspective?

That is an interesting point: How many Zelda games have had flashbacks or "meanwhile..." cutaways or interludes of any real length where Link isn't present at all? That feels like an interesting departure from the formula

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Blaziken386 posted:

Given the fact that ganondorf has some very nice official art this time around, the hero from the legend having red hair, the fact that he evidently has one of the tears (it's the jewel on his forehead) like sidon and the others, the translation in each language being just slightly vague* about the identity of the king being revived, and the fact that the camera cuts away from the guy in front of the blood moon before we see his face, I'm genuinely wondering if Ganondorf is the actual villain, or if he's on our side for once?? Yes i am a ganondorf apologist, but, what if. C'mon nintendo you know you want to. Let him be Riju's overly dramatic weird uncle.

*Ganondorf: “Do not look away. You witness a king’s revival…and the birth of his new world.” ("his", not "my". Third person grandiose dialog, or...?)

You know, back in the pre-release hype for BotW, this is kinda what I thought was going on with the Old Man on the Great Plateau; the mortal man Ganondorf cut free of Ganon, the eternal Curse of Demise. Like at some point he'd gotten tired of being the unwitting instrument of some dead demon's grudge.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Zore posted:

Malladus rules because he has the best dressed lackey in the series

The little hats cover up his demon horns. Totally inconspicuous!

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

The weird third Downfall timeline makes sense if you remember that there is more than one instance of time travel in Ocarina of Time to potentially cause a timeline branch. Namely, accessing the Spirit Temple.

If I remember right, you have to go there as an adult, realize you can't actually get in because the door's locked, go back in time to fit through a gap as a child, and that opens the way for you when you go back forward to the Adult timeframe. I don't think it's possible to pre-open the way in advance before the seven-year timeskip, you HAVE to go back in time to do this. This means that there's a fork in the timeline where Adult Link gets to a door he can't get past, and just... disappears from history entirely, while the door gets opened for some OTHER divergent timeline. Ganondorf never gets defeated in that timeline because Link just sorta bailed, even if he wasn't aware that's how time travel works.

Asterite34 fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Apr 14, 2023

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Blaziken386 posted:

petition to rename the downfall timeline to the "link gets stuck at a loving door" timeline

(i don't think that counts because link switching back and forth would potentially create an infinite number of timelines in that case. I'm assuming the main branch only happens because link explicitly gets sent back by zelda at the end instead of doing it himself.)

It can potentially happen any number of times, but it's mandatory at least once, and it's canonically doing something in the past to change the future, so I feel like it counts. Makes more sense than "one of the Game Over screens when a ReDead ate your skull was actually canon the whole time"

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Bleck posted:

Counterpoint; it's this guy.

Of course, the thing that is neither red NOR green!

e: okay there's some greenish elements to the design, I'll be fair, but it's hardly predominant

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

It wouldn't be the first time

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Daner T posted:

Is this guy Zonai or related to the Sheikah? It looks like he has a closed third eye on his forehead with the 3 lashes and the drop on his nose looks like it would be the tear drop we see the sheikah wear.

:shrug:

Maybe some precursor race the ancestral Shiekah borrowed iconography from? Maybe it's some Lemurian lizard-people Annunaki deal? Who knows, we'll find out in a month

e: bet the Lizalfos are pissed that there's a different reptilian race that's actually important to the grander scheme of things. They tried their best, they had armies and declared war on the Zora and poo poo, but nope, they're just the annoying henchmen lizard people, not the antediluvian sages that people theorycraft about

Asterite34 fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Apr 14, 2023

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Deki posted:

Ganondorf is cool and all, but all i wanna know is if the lonely archery shop lady finally found someone.

Sure she did, Ganondorf

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

M'oblin

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Is that the guy that wants you to give 50 crickets to a girl in Hateno

:lmao: no wonder he became Hyrule's First MRA Incel

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

The bit of his cloak/one sleeve thing reminiscent of Wind Waker Ganondorf's kimono makes it look like Fat Ganon was just cultivating mass in preparation for getting super loving yoked

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

precision posted:

Darknuts and Wizzrobes!

We already have Wizzrobes, they're those creepy dancing elemental wizard guys that drop the magic rods (gently caress the Lightning Wizzrobes so so much)

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

WarpDogs posted:

I... coveted that dakimakura, I suppose

He WAS the prophesized king of a civilization of all-female Amazons, that's sorta harem anime adjacent I guess...

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

After everyone was thirsting for shirtless Link in 2017, now everyone's thirsty for shirtless Ganon in 2023. The Twink-Daddy Pendulum continues to swing...

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Yunobo will have undergone metamorphosis into a Biggoron and will just step on Ganon

Asterite34 fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Apr 18, 2023

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

Zelda Movie, but takes place in the modern business world. Link is an investment banker and Zelda is a consultant hired by his bank. Ganondorf is a malicious member of the Board of Directors and the Master Sword is a USB drive containing data proving that he has broken the law.

It better still have Ganon in a Metallica t-shirt like in that BotW concept art. Make him a Silicon Valley disruptor douchebag or something

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

It just occured to me that, assuming that the Zelda bits of the trailers are set in some distant past via time travel, that it can't be pre-Skyward Sword stuff, for one very important reason: we see her with the Master Sword, which didn't exist as such until the end of that game. So if it is the past, it isn't some unrecorded prehistory, it's within known canon (unaccounted for ten thousand years notwithstanding)

We've reached a point where even the mysterious prelapsarian past known only in myth has its own mysterious prelapsarian past known only in myth. Hell, we're a half dozen layers deep into that, complete with crumbling ruins and ancient incomprehensible supertech, presumably reverse-engineered from the previous gen of ancient supertech recovered from THEIR crumbling temples they had scattered around.

And the real bitch of it is we still haven't seen the first link in the chain, even in Skyward Sword there was enough ancient poo poo lying around that the Gorons had archaeologists running around. Did the Zonai build those Lanayru robots and they've just been hanging in there behind the scenes for dozens of millennia? Or were they just another group of weirdos like the Shiekah who saw a Beamos built by some dead civilization and thought "Yeah, I bet we can work these out"?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

The Maroon Hawk posted:

He gives you a rusty broadsword

Is that what Hyruleans call a rusty trombone?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

I like exploring Zelda overworlds, but by God do they like making them vectors for especially unfun traversal mechanics and minigame gimmicks. I could tolerate the boat in Phantom Hourglass, I could tolerate the train in Spirit Tracks, but gently caress the Tears of Light bits in Skyward Sword, the Eldin forced stealth section is what made me give up on that game

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

A good Zelda dungeon should have the same appeal as a good Metroidvania, which is the same combination of mild frustration and zen-like detached concentration as untangling knotted Christmas tree lights. Really it's a hyper-concentrated version of the sensation a good overworld gives you, a sense of blind bumbling around slowly giving way to growing familiarity and comprehension as you bounce back and forth from one bit of progress to the next.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Shiroc posted:

Link should fight Dark Links who have progressions of ever more absurd vehicles and combo weapons.

I mean, Monolith Soft is a support studio, might as well throw some mecha battles in there

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Shiroc posted:

Start the game connecting meat to arrows, finish the game using Link's Evangelion powered by Hylia's soul against the Mass Production Evas powered by Ganon's.

Also Din, Nayru and Farore are supercomputers and Hyrule is a simulation or something

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Hedrigall posted:

Don't start calling them pachinko machines too, god

Zeltik keeps getting that so wrong. They're gacha machines

The Zonai are a monstrously bad civilization and deserve to be extinct

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

WarpDogs posted:

we're going to need a lot of incentive to use mounts vs. just Nuts & Boltsing a hovercraft, and allowing me to stable anything I can mount would go a long way with me

Horses don't have a finite battery life (probably}

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

HUGE cutscene spoiler: Link talks, and says "gently caress"

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Copernic posted:

I can't believe everyone is playing the game and no one has confirmed what Meat + Arrow does. What does meat arrow do. Please.

That's not even really a spoiler, bunch of people showed those off in the supervised gameplay demos.

They (courtesy spoiler just in case) act as a distraction for monsters, who wander over to wherever the arrow landed and eat the meat, allowing for sneaking and backstab opportunities while their back is turned

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Can't say I expected the Dating Sim elements they added. The scene where Link smooches Sidon is cute. The hardcore sex scene... less so

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Mister Facetious posted:

Lorewise, what decides whether a magic blade shoots out of the sword, anyway?

In Zelda 1, even a wooden sword could do it.

In Zelda 2, Link again starts with the ability.

Have magical sword abilities weakened over time until we get to Breath of the Wild?

Since Zelda 1 is actually toward the end of the timeline, it seems like sword-beam technology has actually advanced over time and propagated beyond the original Master Sword as the "trick" of it has spread further and further

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Blaziken386 posted:

exploring typhlo ruins because we know that it gets lit up in TotK from trailers, and it occurred to me halfway through that i didn't need a torch, because the master cycle comes with a built in headlamp.

this place is unfathomably creepier when you can actually see a reasonable distance!

(also because the developers only intended for you to see like 5 feet in front of you at any given time, you can actually see wolves and deer and keese pop into existence when riding around, which is a little funny. also there's a lot of spots with really low res textures for the same reason. feels like im playing a low budget indie horror game.)

Ah, I see the Zonai were devout Gonzo worshippers