Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Tokelau All Star posted:

Gloom hands scared the hell out of me early game. Seeing the sages mob up on them to give me time to start flinging bomb flowers was a great moment in emergent storytelling.

I've been putting a skull on the map every time I find one, originally it was to mark for myself "don't loving go here or youll die" but now it means "come here to kill this thing after every blood moon" :getin:

Is there an easy place to get swallow bows or bows in general without fighting? My dad is avoiding fights because he's not great at them (I will inevitably clear some things for him) but he's needing easy bows for hunting and farming animal/critter drops. And I need swallow bows for the one repeatable bow quest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

postmodifier posted:

I've seen a lot of people complain about the one puzzle where you have to graft wheels to chains to open a door

I spent like 20 minutes trying to do it legit but then I realized I could just stick the chains to a box and pull it away, run through, then recall the door after it dropped and pull the box through with ultrahand

The fact that I could do that makes this game the best game I've ever played, hands down

Especially the decision to let bombflower arrows count as hits against targets in shrines, it's like "hey do you want to spend an hour loving around with ice fruit or wacky pivot physics? No? Bomb it."

GOTD

I got to the one shrine that everybody has been skipping/cheesing with the rotating mechanism and the stakes. One person said "saw the shrine layout, recognized it, left immediately, gently caress that"

I dont get it. It's just baseball :psyduck:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Drop a spring on the ground -> put a rocket on your shield -> jump on the spring and then rocket shield

It's how I've been dealing with Gleeoks when they hit that last third of their health bar. I can never seem to damage rush them fast enough :argh:

E: wait, no, that doesn't work does it. I need to go fight one tonight and double check what I've been doing

bawk fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 31, 2023

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Augus posted:

the ceiling in those rooms is too low for them to get out of reach of ascend
also only the level 3 ones fly all the way up

the way you reach gleeoks depends on their element
Fire and Lightning create updrafts for you to use
Ice drops icicles that you can Recall
King does a combination of all 3

Does taking out individual heads help with them overlapping before you're able to get them all? Because I remember having one hell of a time with the one on the lake hylia bridge and the one in the coliseum, when you would get an updraft it would already be overlapping that with another attack.

I know I have some gizmo thing for big vertical movement using zonai devices but the fight I finished last night was at 1:30, so I don't remember what discount Revali's Gale I used. :v:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

Make sure you're finding the journals in their hideouts my favorites are the ones where they gave their vehicles ridiculous names like GLOOMDOOM MK III or some poo poo and the one where Yiga seemed to have died testing their vehicles which gave me Metroid Prime Space Pirate Science Team vibes.

Spoilers for the Yiga Hideout
if you chat up the yiga people in the hideout who are working on the vehicles, you can buy them off them and add them to your autobuild outside so you can use the GLOOMDOOM MK III yourself :allears:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

RatHat posted:

Noticed an interesting detail when rewatching the intro(Dragon tears spoilers I guess): I was under the impression the stones were unique and destined for each Sage, like the Fire stone goes to the Goron, Wind to the Rito, ect. But they’re actually not. In the intro the stone from Rauru’s hand(the Light stone) comes off and Zelda picks it up and it turns into the Time stone. So the stones themselves just transform to suit their user, this is also shown in each Sage cutscene because the stone is white and generic until they pick it up. This also explains why Ganondorf can use his when it’s supposed to be Sonia’s(which is also the Time stone).
I guess this means anyone with powers could theoretically be a Sage. I wonder what would happen if Kohga got one…

I believe he would be the CREAM RIIIIIIIIISING TO THE TOP :pusheen:

I always get Pro Wrestler vibes from Khoga, like he's keeping Kayfabe when going round for round with Link

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I just found my new best shield-surfing buddy: the Hylian Shield! :aaa:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Having a maddening time trying to deal with Mr Hands.

Found a gloom hand monster on the way up to the Spring Of Wisdom. Sort of used a nearby Ice Like to help freeze it and take it out but Phantom Ganon is doing too much damage for me to handle even with items etc. For a minute there I thought that shooting Brightseed fuse arrows at the gloom hands kept them from moving towards me, but I think now maybe it was getting caught on terrain. I don’t know. Phantom G is just too strong for me

Before the fight, use some Dark Clumps (trade a handful of poes to a beggar statue) to get some food that adds Gloom Resistance, which will help with getting up-close during the fight, and using multiple Sundelions in food will increase how many hearts of Gloom damage it heals, useful if you don't have a multi-shot bow to make the fight against the hands easier. 3 Sundelions + 2 neutral food items can heal 9 hearts of Gloom, 11 if it's a critical.

I also had a better time by fusing the strongest one-handed weapon to the highest-damage monster part had, and then adding something extra-sturdy to the shield to help block the hits, although that's entirely dependent on the shield you have. If you can manage to get through part of a Labyrinth, they tend to have very good equipment laying around that will power you up so you can take him toe-to-toe. I was hauling around a 50 shield with a strong one-handed zonaite sword with a captain horn attached to it.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I think my favorite fight in the whole game so far has to be against the Frox.

So many enemies will damage the poo poo out of you when it goes to get rid of you, but he just sorta helpfully launches you into the air directly above him. He might think it's so he can easily eat you, but in reality it gives me a perfect slow-mo shot at his eyeball so I can go back to giving him acupuncture

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

How many zelda games do i have to have played to understand this and is the answer more than zero

There's specifically one forest you cannot normally enter and cannot normally navigate in its own section of the map. It's also the same forest you would go to for the Master Sword in Breath of the Wild

Explicit location, because i never found a better explicit hint other than the game strongly suggesting to seek the place out again:top center of the map

There's a lot more to it than just "okay now warp to a nearby tower/sky shrine and go here" , it's a neat little navigation puzzle + one boss fight to get pointed in the right direction from there. It also has one of the most convenient combinations of inn/shop/second shop in the game when you have it cleared up

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Did a side thing where I started shield surfing and it turned into a skydiving / snowboarding situation. Game whips rear end

I crawled into a random cave last night following my "it's late, so i will do just one more ______" lierule. Followed some minecart tracks that are a bit north of Yunobo Co to get there, climbed into what I thought was just a hole in the ground, ended up in Roasting Rails from Donkey Kong Country :hellyeah:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

Sidon marries Yona, but Link is still his side piece :v:

they might be married but I don't see her statue anywhere near his throne room :colbert:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

Fought the depths King Gleeok last night and it was definitely the most challenging fight in the game I've come across so far - ended up reloading my save cause I blew so much food, fairies, and bows. Ended up finding a good rhythm in its last phase of sniping it before it could fully take off into the air, but good god is the storm part just insanely hectic. Kept trying to ride the icicles back up into the air but every time I did I would get hit by a lighting bolt which would practically one shot me.

Whatever I got that dumb hat that I probably won't ever wear at least!!

It irrationally pisses me off that the room for this fight just doesn't line up: it's got a statue of each of the four races to match the four sages puzzle directly above in Typhlo Ruins, and the statues don't match up the solutions of the puzzles above! :argh: I was hoping at least you would beat King Gleeok, get the hat, then have a neat additional puzzle to solve that requires all the sages, but they didn't even put the statues in the right corners, let alone add a bonus puzzle that I could find

GreatGreen posted:

If that's true... jesus that's incredibly stupid. They may as well have just not created the mount system at all then. The entire point of a mount system is to get to places slightly faster that are just close enough that fast travel wouldn't help you.

To have to chase a horse all over creation entirely misses the point of a mount system at all, and only creates another liability for the player. Great system there.

You can go to a stable, tell them to board your currently out-and-about horse, then hop on your horse, at least. It's not as good as just whistling to summon one, but you don't need to glide back to it to return it to a stable

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

sonatinas posted:

Lol I guess I got to do this… kilton now wants a picture of king gleeok for his stage but I have no idea where it is. I guess it’s time to go gleeok hunting now

You shouldn't need much of a hint. If you're looking at the map and thinking "...it would make sense if it's there" then it probably is. Probably

If you're wondering whether or not you've found it in the Depths, you'll absolutely know the location it is when you find it.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

It's always cool as hell when a small cave on the outside ends up being something bigger. I went to the lake just east of the Great Plateau, where all the town ruins are, and was grinning ear to ear when I dropped down one of the wells :allears:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Benagain posted:

I mean let's be real Looking For A Third should be the subtitle of the drat game instead of Tears.

Looking For A Third Of The Kingdom seems to match my overall experience :hmmyes:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Khanstant posted:

If you smack a dog enough a bunch of them spawn and start attacking you.

Nintendo needs to patch this in for if a korok gets within ultrahand distance of two perpendicular logs/planks/poles

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Macaluso posted:

I'm on my way to the Rito temple now. This bird is cute but man his power sucks rear end. You can't send me a LITTLE further my dude? Possibly send me up?

There's lots of Up options now, but when you get more stamina on your stamina wheel it really shines on how much distance you can cover for free*. On one stamina wheel you can use it twice I think, but six or eight or more times feels pretty good when you're doing some dumbass glide in the Depths or heading over to a distant sky island

I find it really useful when skydiving, you can dive -> gust/float for a second ->dive again until it recharges instead of using autobuild or using a wing in midair

*not using zonai devices

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

PageMaster posted:

Any tricks/cheats for this last Lynels in the floating coliseum? Or is it just, "don't get hit?". I can break the armor no problem and rodeo a bunch of times, but they gave it just a laughable amount of HP and it's just a slog until I miss up a dodge or parry and then have to start over again.

Cook a shitload of sundelion/sundelion/sundelion/meat/salt meals, it'll give you 9 hearts back from gloom damage, 11 if it's a crit cook.

I find it easiest to block or parry the weapon attacks, but dodge everything else for flurry rushes whenever the game will actually give them to me.

If one of the spear or greatsword guys starts doing the downward stab move, I haven't found a good tell for when it does or doesn't explode in a huge sphere so just back the hell up.

Allegedly if you mount them and then fire a multishot bow with Muddle bud arrows in the back of their head, it's a stunlock loop, but I haven't had a chance to try it yet/it mightve been patched if it's old news

The more sages the better.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Captain Hygiene posted:

I just found one that has its crystal on top, exactly as you'd expect.

Well yes, it is made out of magma so you can't actually stand on it without taking constant damage, but that's outside the scope of the original statement

If you used the tried-and-true method of throwing their rock hand back at them with the time power, you can hit them with ice or water and then stand on top of them no problem. If you do it the other way around, the hand will just reignite their body.

PageMaster posted:

I don't know if it's tied to progression or random, but all the Talos's in my game now have their crystal weak spot on their side, not on top, so you can't hit it while on top of them, and you can't hit it from the ground, and there's no flat part to stage on to hit it. Are you just supposed to shoot it now?

Do you mean when it's jutting out straight horizontally from their back? You don't have to stand on them anymore, it's actually way easier to hit. When they're stunned, stand behind them with a spear that has a high-damage blunt/hammer monster part attached to it and you can spam-attack it from the ground.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

It's ok, I used rewind on every other big physical projectile but I never once thought to rewind the massive boulders flying towards me.

What about the massive boulders from Gohma?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Megera posted:

been exploring the Depths with an airbike that finally doesn't keep tipping over or going too high. poo poo's a lot less scary now (still avoiding any and all Frox, thank you)

is there a spoiler-free quest prompt or someone that tells you how to get through the lost woods? i got to the entrance and keep getting swallowed up by fog and reset after a few steps in. if it's the same method to get through as BotW, then that's kinda lame.

It's not the same method to navigate the first time as BOTW, it might be the same after the fact but I just fast travel in.

You've got more options to navigate the world, make sure you've explored every possible avenue.

As for the monster Frox's,, there's a few easy ways to exploit their weaknesses. They're like Dodongos where they don't like eating bombs and they have similar weak spots to the Stone Talos and they especially dont like arrows to the eye.

If you are about to get shaken off their back, if you glide above them right when they're going to throw you off, they'll launch you in the air. If you shoot them before they try to eat you, you can keep them stunlocked.

bawk fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 2, 2023

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I really miss Guardians and kept wishing I would run into one :smith: I'm hoping that they get included in a later DLC or something.

I also hope that whatever DLC comes out will include Master Mode, I want to know what Gold enemy parts would be like.

I also want to see harder enemy placements with harder enemies, like the Great Plateau was like in BOTW. Imagine walking up to the front door of the Temple of Time but instead of a Soldier Construct, it's a pissed-off mecha :allears:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

TheDK posted:

DLC idea:

Guardians are back and learn how to use ultrahand. There is a boss that is a guardian-king (aka a bunch of guardians with their arms tangled up and thus forming a gigantic guardian) with normal guardians on the end of each of it's arms. They all shoot lasers at you and need to be killed off before you can attack the guardian-king, who also shoots a massive laser.

Thinking about other abilities Guardians can learn and thinking about a guardian ascending through the ground with no warning :allears:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I'm well over 100 hours at this point and just found a chasm I've never seen before, which seems to drop into an area of the depths that (according to the map) should just be an impassible giant black mountain. Wish me luck! :)

e: it was not a chasm lmao

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

"Oh man, whenever I see one of those Construct Captains, they've got a weapon and a bow that they can use to attack with. I'm going to (late game spoilers) Give Mineru a couple bows since she's a construct who is built entirely around fusing! Time to get some more Ranged Support! :buddy:"

:cripes:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Megera posted:

thanks all for giving me the proper amount of hints for the Lost Woods. I never saw the Koroks, but I'm only one temple through, so maybe it's too soon for them to show up?

on the way over via the depths, i stumbled upon some random gloomhands, which completely swarmed my airbike and i was able to puffshroom and rocket shield away. now for a worry-free fun quest to see what's ailing the Deku tree's stoma– FUCKFUCKFUCK

You can cheese them a little bit if you get some gloom resistance and/or some gloom healing from a few cooking recipes. :)

you're gonna need it :cawg:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Sam Faust posted:

So, I found a shrine in a very foggy sky island with some creative use of the sensor and ascend which eventually led me to a particular quest with an unexpected reward, and I was wondering without spoilers how much did I skip to get there?

At a certain point there's an explicit signpost that points you directly toward where you went, but it begins as a multi-stage quest going from A to B to C ... XYZ where you ended up.

I'm blown away by how many people are finding this early, I never thought for a second that would be someplace I you could just go to.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

When I first saw it, my first thought was "Alright, the Thunder Helm is in this game too and there's a whole island chain I can do once I get it" because I figured it would be like that whole area from Breath of the Wild.

This game is wild, I can't wait to replay it in a couple years when the mod scene has been out in full force and the DLC is out.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

This may have started way earlier in life when I was first cutting grass for money in OoT, and was fully made a problem in Skyward Sword with the Gust Bellows Sand Room, but these Zelda games have a habit of giving you

1: A room full of an obstacle that
2: Can be cleared from view/obstructing your path through a room, using
3: An ability with a cooldown or slow effective use-rate, but
4: It gives you some small little rewards for the act of cleaning up the obstacles.

I thought it was going to be the sand dunes in the desert, but nope! The Sages and I are clearing out some rocks. This room is so cluttered with all these easily-explosive rocks in the way, and look! Every now and then they have a percent chance to drop a gemstone! I'm not wasting my time, I'm gathering resources! :shepface:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Pirate Radar posted:

Right, that’s a good example of something feasible to me because I have those things—not that combo exactly because I still need those silver horns for upgrading the basic armor set but I get what you mean. It was the mention of 80-120 that had me wondering if there was another material or base weapon I was missing that would take me up to those numbers.

I'm currently working on getting the Gerudo Sword/Shield so I can attach as Silver Lynel horn to it and see how big the numbers can go :unsmigghh:

You can do pretty similar numbers if you've explored a good amount and found some of the unique weapons to fuse with, then you can just pop back over to a Bargainer Statue to get another copy. Dusk Claymore/Biggoron Sword + Silver Lynel Horn is pretty loving cool

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I just realized that the mines in the Depths don't have stairs. They're conveyor belts.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

This far along in the game, I just found the questline in Lookout Landing where the Monster Control Crew wants you to go tag-and-bag some Boss Fights for them.

Gralens' face when he's basically saying "okay, so we got a Stone Talos, a Hinox, a Construct, a Gl....what do you mean you've already killed these things" :allears:

e: I've found, and lit up, every single Lightroot that I can find in the game. I was under the impression there would be a reward for doing it, but I'm not sure where/how I'd find that. I triple-checked the map, and I've got everything laid out. Are there any particularly sneaky ones or another one I haven't touched yet that would be by the final boss fight?

e: Oh goddammit nevermind, I found it. There was one more hiding in a tiny little corner next to Tarrey Town.

bawk fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jun 4, 2023

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Frankston posted:

I hope you found the reward meaningful and worthwhile!

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I heard a rumor online that there's a bokoblin somewhere in Akkala that will talk to you if you are wearing the Bokoblin mask, so I've been running around the region with the mask on. Few little things I love so far:

When you wear one of the disguise masks, Link's usual huffs and puffs get changed to match the noises that the enemy makes normally. Hauling rear end through the grasslands making little Bokoblin grunts is hilarious.

The Bokoblin mask fools not only the regular Bokoblins of all types, but also the Boss Bokoblins as well.

I just wandered into a silver Boss Bokoblin walking around with a gaggle of blue Bokoblins while it was raining. I walked up to them to see what would happen, they all surrounded me and started sniffing me. I noticed that my sword was starting to spark because there was a thunderstorm, so I threw a Muddle Bud down on the ground to confuse them all into fighting each other while I backed up/switched gear. The Boss Bokoblin took a wide swing with his Royal Claymore, killing all of the blue Bokoblins with one swing and then promptly got one-shot by a lightning strike. :allears:

I love this game so much

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Captain Hygiene posted:

Lol, I just got to a shrine that starts off like a normal Rauru's Blessing, but then half the temple just zoops away and turns into a vertical wall after you collect the treasure. I gave up pretty quick and just used a rocket shield to leave, I'm curious what you're "supposed" to do there.

It's called Unlit Blessing.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

For DLC, I would be surprised if we finish all the DLC without a fight against a Bargainer Statue construct of some kind. That's gotta be one of the things, right? No real information about WTF it is in the base game, lots of mysterious aspects of the depths tie into it like the random rock pile weapons/poes, and it's something distinct from the anti-goddess statue from BOTW

And it's built like a brick shithouse!

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Tip for anybody who is farming the Lynel Collisseum, there's an additional armored one wandering just west of the collisseum. He's been the easiest/red version so far for me, not sure if that's static or if I've just been lucky. The armor shard makes for a good rock-breaking fusing to shields, so you can get 2 shards per blood moon and potentially more early parts if you still need them

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Epic High Five posted:

I think anything armored will drop a shard, probably easier to find a bokoblin spawn that's armored unless the lynels drop a special souped up one

They do look physically different, so I'm not 100% on that and I'm not sure if it's strictly better than other spike options like spike balls. I put two on a couple high durability royal shields and they've last for a while, just broke the first one last night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Nihonniboku posted:

That's a great tip, I'll try that out. I haven't tried that. I know I tried the BOTW trick where if you want to catch fish easily, just bomb them, but they changed that in TOTK where if you bomb the fish, you can still get them easily, but they'll be cooked.

I finally fought the frost Gleeock yesterday, it was a much easier fight than I was expecting. At this point, the only enemy I have yet to fight in the game is Lynel. I see them and I run every time. Maybe it's time to take one on. I'm not very good at parrying, but they would be good practice for that.

Go to the East Akkala stable, they'll point you in the right direction. I feel like that's your first intended fight.

They're not that bad, especially if you use (not a cheese strat per se but will make it very easy) keese eyeballs on your arrows.