Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

MokBa posted:

Instead of a Sheikah Slate, Link's new abilities are tied to his hosed up arm. So far what we know are Fuse (the ability to graft materials and weapons together), Ultrahand (the ability to pick up larger objects and combine them into vehicles and other machinery), and Ascend (the ability to float into a ceiling and warp through it to the surface). The first two abilities promise us a near limitless series of combinations and are likely why the game has taken so long. The last is a method of traversal unlike any other in the series' history and will likely contribute to the game's new sense of extreme verticality. It's unknown whether the original Sheikah Slate abilities are going to return (Ultrahand appears to make Magnesis redundant, for one). But these three alone promise us a huge world of versatility and a shitload of fun.

Great detailed OP! I just wanna say we do know the fourth ability, it's Recall. They use it early in the trailer to rewind a fallen object to ride it back up in the sky. Finally, a Tenet game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Capfalcon posted:

I felt SO bad when my first horse died, even though it had terrible stats.

Same, I reloaded, and then regretted that dozens of hours later when I discovered the horse god, because that would have been an incredible emergent moment if I had let the original death remain.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

So I am 150 hours into this game, 91 shrines, finished the four regional phenomena. I just now learned that if you talk to Cece while wearing the Hylian Hood, you can put it down like on the game cover and Amiibo. Lmao. Never in a million years would have discovered that on my own.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Kale posted:

Just kind of a titanic massive gently caress you to people that aren't into what I at least consider tedious one hit kill mechanics that essentially get forced on you in order to get to the good stuff you actually came for and expected yeah. Again though, kind of have to consider the era the original BoTW came out during and what was especially trendy at the time in the gaming scene, but it still feels like a massive miss to me and something that should have been it's own EX quest like Trial of the Sword or Master Mode for people that are into what I call "hardshit" gaming.

Again though probably a lot of debate to be had here as there's many people out there that just don't understand that not everybody likes this sort of stuff, and that some don't find it fun in the slightest and also don't care one iota about bragging rights stuff or dopamine hits off of clearing literal zero room for error combat challenges and instead prefer the exploration and modest challenge aspects of BoTW.

I understand that but I still like Champion's Ballad, OP

It's okay to not like it but it's funny to insist it's a miss and say that if there's a debate, It's only because people don't understand that other people have different tastes.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Sep 25, 2023

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

My arc with the ultrahand stuff was:

1) Super fun for a few hours, this is goofy!

2) Tired of it, takes a lot of fiddling to slap together even a simple machine that half the time I just abandon after a minute because it doesn't work the way I hoped or keeps getting stuck or something.

3) Have a better understanding of some machines that work, and a lot of Zonite, I mostly don't engage with building at all now except to make a disposable car/plane to get somewhere.

The vending machine orb system is bad, it feels like it discourages experimentation because I don't want to use my cool devices unless I'm pretty sure the thing I'm making will work. Yeah I can get more but it's a chore to teleport around and sit there feeding the machine hoping to pull something good.

I am like 100+ hours in, four temples down, puttering around. I enjoy the game well enough when I'm playing it, but when I'm not playing I also don't feel excited to get back to it.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Fangz posted:

Do you not use the autobuild ability?

Oh yeah, between points 2 and 3 is when I got Autobuild. So now I have a few saved machines I use for specific purposes, but whenever I try to make something new I feel like the result is almost always underwhelming relative to the time and effort I spend building it.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

i've seen this sentiment before, and i wonder how much of it might be down to the two games having very similar (main) world maps. i know i spent a lot more time in BotW just seeing the sights for the sake of itself than I did in TotK. maybe being able to fly over everything instead of finding land routes contributed too, idk

Yeah, I think you hit the nail on the head. The map being reused, plus being much easier to see/traverse through going into the sky and using machines, means the mystery of exploration is mostly gone. And as a player I'm much more mercenary about just jumping from point to point to dig up little secrets. Which, to be fair, is what most of the Zeldas felt like prior to BOTW: the discovery was more about what you find packed into each area, much less "what's over this mountain?"

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Cheesus posted:

I don't understand why they were all wearing masks. It was like the development team could not be bothered to spend 5 minutes to come up with any way to differentiate them with their modern day or even BOTW counterparts.

They might as well have been less than constructs.

For a while I was hoping that the weird backwards sounds and the masks would lead to some kind of creepy cool reveal (like a Twilight realm connection people were speculating pre launch) but no it was just aesthetic.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I like the recent Apes trilogy, I'm constantly evangelizing it. They're pretty flawed, mainly almost every human character is incredibly flat and underwritten, and the trilogy addresses this by having fewer and fewer human characters as they go on. Third movie is the best because the only human character is Woody Harrelson who 100% understood the assignment and delivers the perfect amount of scenery chewing.

Despite the flaws I think they're really good and worth watching. Making a blockbuster scifi trilogy that's fully dedicated to a three-movie character study of an ape is impressive and Andy Serkis is amazing.

But yea it's a bummer the upcoming movie seems to be mostly a different team with a mediocre history.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I don't think they'll adapt a specific game; OOT for example would be really tough to do in one movie without shortchanging either the child or adult timelines. And Zelda is like the ideal videogame franchise for an adaptation because the entire series is loosely adapting similar concepts onto different frameworks. It'll probably be a "new" story that follows the familiar beats with familiar aesthetic trappings because that's what the franchise has done over and over to great success.

If they hew closest to any specific games I think they'll draw heavily from the BotW/TotK worlds since those are both the most recent and the highest selling games by a pretty significant margin.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Just finished the 5th temple, got 104 shrines, think I'm gonna go beat the game.

I feel conflicted about this game. On the one hand it's very much a step above Breath of the Wild in a lot of ways. There's so much more to do, the quests and temples are so much more fleshed out, the world is full of little handcrafted setpieces that I definitely wanted more of in BotW.

But it does hit the same issue BotW did, which is that at a certain point, well before I've completed the game, I feel like I've seen everything the game has to offer in terms of gameplay. It takes longer to reach that content plateau for sure. But once you're there, that plateau is even wider because of how much bigger the game is. There's so much more to do that's all kind of around the same level of engagement, and the same level of interaction with the world. I think the game's openness works against it in that regard, and the huge map size hits diminishing returns as you explore it. The Sky Islands and Depths are each cool and add to the game, but I'm not sure they add enough to fill a full layer of the world map, considering how much of what they offer is even more samey than what you find on the surface.

I feel like for a very long time I've been at the point where every sky island is the same, half the caves I find are the same, the game's puzzles (outside of shrines) are around an equal level of "really basic mechanical interaction because everything has to fit into the same physics system" (which is both a pro and a con)". And half the shrines are tutorial puzzles, like eighty hours in I find one where the solution is "use fire to melt ice".

The non-linear format also completely works against the storytelling. A lot of the cutscenes are focused on exposition rather than character moments, so you have several cut scenes focused on hinting or outright explaining the exact same thing. Which makes them really dull and redundant if you view them all which you do simply by following the game's two main quests. I.e. "This was the imprisoning war where we couldn't defeat the demon king. We could only imprison him. Rauru did something heroic that day" (repeat 5-6x, including 4 of the exact same cutscene). "Okay you're ready to learn what Rauru did... He imprisoned the Demon King."

I dunno, I like this game a lot but feel torn on where I land. I think the series is in this awkward place where Breath of the Wild is the better game just by virtue of being leaner and more focused (which is a WILD thing to say about BotW), but Tears of the Kingdom has enough advancements that I can't go back to BotW.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Nov 14, 2023

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Khanstant posted:

Why didn't you just go to the ending once you reach that plateau? Neither BotE or TotK are designed for you to do everything, they very lightly discourage it.

Well I wanted to do the main plot stuff first and the game does a really good job of leaving breadcrumbs and enticing landmarks to keep grabbing my attention... And now and then I do still find something rewarding. Like the Depths is so cool! And after a while you realize it's all pretty much the same. But yeah I should have beelined the temples and tears so I could just end the game when I was ready.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Finally beat the game, really cool and satisfying final boss fight and follow up cutscenes. I loved how (final boss) Ganondorf's blasts permanently sapped your health, that was a cool mechanical element that I didn't expect and had me pretty worried by the end. The battle in the sky was also cool, the way Zelda's dragon kept grabbing you was well done and seamless. The callback to the intro with Zelda falling and Link reaching out was a great Full Circle moment too.

Some overall critiques on the plot and setpieces in this game:
Nothing in the game comes close to the Rito temple and boss, imo. From the climb up through the storm on the flying ships, to the boss itself with the skydiving battle mechanic, it changed what I thought was possible within this physics engine in terms of spectacle and action without noticeably cheating with scripting. And it felt incredibly epic, the jumping sequence up through the blizzard and the soaring Dragon Roost theme at the boss had my jaw on the floor.

That was the first dungeon I did, it set the bar really high and I don't think any of the other setpieces reached that level. I was especially disappointed that the descent to Ganondorf, while it had cool music, was just kind of another set of caves where you fight some tough enemies that you've been fighting for most of the game already.

I also wish they had used the villain more. It was cool to have Ganondorf back, the opening sequence was eerie with a lot of promise, and then he falls down the hole and... Is just down there for the entire game until you're ready to fight him. His design is great and he has a great intimidating presence when you do encounter him so it's a bummer that he's barely utilized.

Lastly, while this isn't the game's fault, I did the exact same thing I did with Breath of the Wild, by expecting the game to reveal something interesting going on with the plot for the entire playthrough until getting to the end and realizing no, that's it. I kept hoping the stuff around the Zonai would have some reveal, with their ominous green swirls and backwards sound and the creepy masks the sages wear. But no it's just kind of a weird aesthetic.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The fusion system rules, but I think it was a huge mistake to make weapon fusion parts overlap with armor upgrade parts. It made me feel less free to use a lot of cool enemy horns, lizal tails, etc because you need so many for armor upgrades. They should have had the horns, tails, and other cool weapon stuff distinct and kept guts and other parts for armor.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Tunicate posted:

Build some overcomplicated contraption, duh

I remember on a launch day stream Austin Walker did just that to get down in the Depths before having a glider, using the bird-wing Zonai devices (don't remember what they're called)

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I think this generation of Zeldas benefits so much from discovery, both in the world and in learning how the mechanics and physics play together, that if you're going to read extensive guides and spoilers you might as well just play something else.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Thirty seconds is awfully short for an acceptance speech, especially when half of it is eaten up by a translator. Should've been 1-2 minutes.

That said, for the love of god, people - when you have a set amount of time to speak, don't go over it!

Signed, a live events worker

This is just bad event planning, especially if they want their event to be taken seriously (they don't care). They spent like ten minutes letting Kojima promote a game that isn't even close to existing yet, and gave actual award winners 30 seconds.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Akratic Method posted:

The thing that really got me about ToTK builds is that the strong enemies could just roar at them and vaporize them. Like, I’d love to sit around and dream up a tank that can fight a dragon, but it just erases constructs in a single move. So do the lynels. I think discovering that was the only time I really got mad at the game.

Yeah lol, this was the thing that made me completely stop caring about trying to make neat tools. I spent like an hour building and testing an autobuild template for a Gleeok fighting contraption, and then when I took it into battle it just immediately got vaporized, which I didn't even know could happen.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

YggiDee posted:

I kinda wish I could give the spirits a 'collect' option, like I don't care if they help out in a fight but if they see a mushroom or a lizard or a bug please grab it for me

Would love to send Tulin after those sticky toed lizards. Relatedly, Is there a trick to catching them? They run away awkwardly and fall off the wall as soon as I get close and disappear almost immediately. I started shooting them with arrows because that was more reliable than hoping they'd fall in my lap before vanishing.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Akratic Method posted:

The Hylian Shield, I assume they meant

Oh wow! I never found that in this game, didn't even realize it was there. Lol.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

:words:

I have no desire at this point to do everything and will probably eventually just finish the main quest and never play it again.

Tl;dr: IMO TotK is a bloated mess of a game that actively works against much of what made BotW so memorable. It's a frustrating and grind-heavy game that lacks the elegance and flow of BotW.

I agree with most of this. I actually like the majority of the things they added to TOTK: all the activities, greater depth and complexity to the quests and handcrafted setpieces, the depths, the sky, the weapon fusing, etc. But all of those things ultimately add up to an experience that is overwhelmingly stuffed and felt less satisfying when I was done with it. The thing that really hurts it is that they have the "look over here!" breadcrumb signalling down to a science, so my ADHD rear end keeps chasing every shiny thing and getting overwhelmed.

I think the biggest mistake was re-using BOTW's map; not because I wanted a new map, but because the old map was specifically designed for BOTW's style. Taking that huge expanse and giving it the TOTK makeover gives you way too much to do and, as you said, feels bloated. You don't need 150 caves. You don't need 80 Addison's. This is most apparent with the sky and the depths, where they clearly didn't have enough time or interest to fill another layer of the world but still committed to them covering the entire map (even with the sky islands pretty scattered they STILL feel 90% copied and pasted).

TOTK's density and complexity on a smaller map built for that game system would have been much better imo

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

RCarr posted:

I just wish they fleshed out the depths and sky islands more. Seems like such an afterthought. When I discovered the depths it was such a cool experience and I was so looking forward to exploring it. Turns out there’s pretty much nothing worthwhile in like 90% of the depths. It’s more of a slog than anything now. Sky islands are just like they spent a few hours copying and pasting poo poo up there just so they said there’s a third layer.

Yeah I was really excited to find cool temples and lore in the depths, find out what its deal was, how it tied into Ganondorf's plot, etc. When I realized it mirrors the top world and the shrines are tied to it I was even more excited for the eventual "origins of the depths" reveal. Turns out it's just kinda there.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Skyward Swords dungeons were really good imo, even with Fi. The puzzles were solid and the environments/vibes were great.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Definitely better in theory than in execution. Maybe if weapon durability was turned off for whatever you attach, you only lose the item if you swap it for something new? Idk

Yeah the customizable assistant mech was a really cool concept that just fell flat. The boss fight was cool though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The quest mechanics were kind of clunky but the quest itself was pretty cool and exciting, it was one of those moments of pure discovery and "I have no idea what's going to happen!" that I think TotK somewhat lacked in comparison to BotW. It was kind of underwhelming that you awaken the weird dead god and he's just a vendor though lol.