Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Blaziken386 posted:

wait, zonai only showed up in BotW? then where the hell did the name come from? as far as i know we have a bunch of ruins but no text naming them - i figured they were just a race from one of the 2D games that i'd never played.

It's the name of a set of ruins in the jungle area in BotW. I think it was also mentioned in one of the official guides or artbooks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

WarpDogs posted:

I have to imagine leaving the UI on was a deliberate choice

It was for sure, that's why I'm leaning towards the coordinate numbers on the minimap being in the final game. It would be strange to say the game's finished and show the HUD if it still had debug stuff in it.

E: Also noteworthy how he doesn't show the menus or the map at all. Also the map seems to have layers? When he's on the sky island they're shown on the minimap but when he gets down to the surface, it's completely blank again.

Kassad fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Mar 30, 2023

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

tsob posted:

Toad or the Mushroom people in general should be characters in one of the next Zelda titles, to really gently caress with canon obsessed people. Mario is now part of Hyrule, have fun figuring that out, nerds! :twisted:

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Tayter Swift posted:

Wait, are you just stealing arrows from the archery targets at the stables or something?!? You can do that? Dang.

Nah but Beedle's always around the stables, you buy arrows from him.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
If he's out of arrows, it's because the game considers you have too many arrows already. I guess in that case you can murder your way up the path to Zora's domain?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
But you can just deploy the glider just before hitting the ground

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Exploring the sky is cooler than exploring caves tbh.

Good odds the game will combine the two by making you explore the sky in order to dive into a pit leading into a cave system.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

The Maroon Hawk posted:

I wouldn’t be surprised if the Divine Beasts are completely absent, with no explanation whatsoever

Explained or not, sheikah tech like the shrines and towers being absent makes it likely they're gone as well.

Plus there's the secret ending from BotW where Zelda says Vah Ruta has mysteriously stopped working.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Good-Natured Filth posted:

I'm sure I missed some in areas I explored, too, because it's very easy to overlook things.

Almost certainly, there's a bunch of types that are very easy to miss. Like a nut in a hole in some fallen tree trunk or a rock under a pile of flammable leaves.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

M'princess

vvv lmao

Kassad fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Apr 17, 2023

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Infinity Gaia posted:

Also we still haven't seen Yunobo, wonder what's up with that.

Nintendo has decided not to break our minds with buff Yunobo yet.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Since shrines were supposed to be mini-dungeons, this kinda makes me feel like you’ll at least partially get your wish here, with the caves being seamless mini-dungeons in TotK. I certainly hope so!

I am also hoping that between the sky islands and the caves, we get the equivalent of shrines without loading screens.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Pirate Radar posted:

That makes me wonder though when Link is going to get that glider we’ve seen him riding. Would that make it easy to pop up to whatever sky island you want? I’d been figuring that getting to each cluster of islands is meant to be an exploration challenge but maybe you can just fly there starting from whenever you get that glider.

The glider is probably something you'll only get after exploring a lot, just because it doesn't look cobbled together like the other flying machines they've shown.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Iron knuckles as well as darknuts, especially if both are given the lynel treatment.

Dodongos, because if there's a big cave system under Death Mountain...

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Yup, d-pad left with your bow out

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
There's one where you do need to climb a specific mountain (north of Hateno) before it'll start wandering around.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Comedy option : the map is redone in the 3D wireframe style used for the divine beasts and the castle in BotW.

It would make sense for the sky islands where a flat map would get confusing if there's one island above another.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Mister Facetious posted:

They'll just have a button that switches between overlays of the three levels, assuming they bother.

That's what I actually expect but hey, they pointedly avoided showing the menus during the gameplay demo so a man can dream, right?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

The first four make you so that, from then on it's just absolute banger puzzles.

There's also nothing stopping you from carpet bombing those camps with bomb arrows instead.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Do all the sidequests in town, basically.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Noonsaliwah posted:

There's two bars of fire resistance in the equipment menu, so it seems like you need two pieces.

But I've just tested it and done some dancing around lava in just the fireproof trousers and nothing else (where uneqipping it sets sets temperature gauge alight), so I'm unsure what the second bar of fireproofing actually does.

There are areas where the lava is extra hot, you see.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Zonai cannon on a stick or spear?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

bawk posted:

I did the Lynel Collisseum the first time shortly after completing whichever one was the Bokoblin one. I think the Forest one?

The entire thing basically went "oh neat another collisseum! :) I wonder what kind of monster parts I'm gonna g-:stare::stonk::ohno:"

It's the first coliseum I found. I was not ready.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

No Wave posted:

Tomatoes and golden apples seem good but they're hard to come by. The apple orchard carried me for all of early game but I'm too lazy to cook apple dishes forever.

Golden apples are rare, yeah, but tomatoes are all over the place near Kakariko and Hateno.

As for a food meta... Hearty ingredients are rarer in this game but they work the same as in BotW so the laziest way to fully restore a lot of hearts is still to cook one hearty ingredient.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Bruceski posted:

Before collecting all the tears, is there a good place to gather Silent Princess? I don't need many, just more than 1-2 at a time.

There's a good number at the spot near Tarrey Town where a great fairy fountain was in BotW. It's right next to a shrine, too.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
I did that way too, all the flying rocks with waterfalls were a big hint it was the way to go. Swimming up the waterfalls regens your stamina, too.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Vanadium posted:

I have a ton more arrows than apples. :colbert:

And I pick them up afterwards! Usually! I usually care about littering!

I went back to play a bit of BotW though and I'm rapidly running out of arrows, was that game really so much stingier than TotK?

Yeah, it didn't have boxes full of arrows everywhere. Fewer chests with arrows in them too, I'm pretty sure.

For me in BotW, a lot of arrows was anything over 70. Right now in TotK, I have around 350.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
The game's huge OP

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Benagain posted:

Okay where is it said that no one else is seeing the dragons or koroks

IIRC for the dragons it's in their compendium entry.

For the koroks, the first one you find is surprised you can see him. Hestu says it as well.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Ganondorf's a goon too, guy's been dwelling in a basement for like 20,000 years.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
In hindsight I might have headed to the rito area sooner than I did, but running around central Hyrule checking out caves before going off to see what's up in Kakariko and Hateno was a good time.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Flaming dick hoverbike. Let's go.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
It is, yeah.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Yeah, would have been vastly more useful than the map shortcut in the radial menu.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Alxprit posted:

The question is, does weather attack stack with normal attack up?

I really doubt it.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Manoueverable posted:

Only finding certain pieces of armor sets is really irritating, because as an example I found the Fierce Deity shirt within my first 20 hours and 100 hours later I have no idea where the other two parts are.

There's a hint to the location of the full set in a cave near the stable at the foot of death mountain (not the forest stable).

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
The sky island ostriches dropping venison is a wonderfully weird detail.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Actually what even happens to Hyrule now leadership wise? Tarrey Town's rise to power?

It's amusing to me that Purah is de facto Hyrule's leader.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Manoueverable posted:

Yeah I found the soldier armor, I just figured the Hylian Shield was there too. I forgot about the spoilered location entirely, I feel silly now.

Actually, speaking of feeling like an idiot, I also still seem to be missing a side quest in Korok Forest. I've done the three shrine quests, the whirlpool picture quest, and the scavenger hunt quest but the one korok keeps saying that someone needs help even though no one else has a quest flag. What am I missing?

Try ascending from inside the Deku tree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

The Maroon Hawk posted:

I, for one, am shocked that the game by Japanese game developers has elements that resemble Japanese culture & history

The fun thing is how at the start of the series they lifted a bunch of stuff from Journey to the West (it's why Ganon is a pig, for example). Special mention for Link to the Past where the entire backstory about Agahnim taking over after stopping a drought is taken from a chapter of the book.