Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I wonder what happens if you happen to miss a piece of rock falling from the sky. Like if there's any other way to know where those are, since they seem necessary to reach the sky (or at least parts of it).

One other thing I noticed is that the "battery power" of the engine things doesn't seem sufficient to actually travel from the surface to the sky islands*, which makes me think that one part of the trailer with the flying machine was likely "it flying from one island to another" instead of "flying from the ground up to an island."

I like how this will basically give you a bunch of tools to completely circumvent the need for stamina, since you can always just create a thing to send you fly up a mountain (or teleport up to the top if it there's a cave).

* though I wonder if you could do something like combine balloons with the engines so that you can just float while they recharge before launching yourself up higher.

incorporeal posted:

I'm going to play the new Zelda game

I'm going to stop you, and everyone else, from playing it. I will cast an extremely powerful spell by burning my life force to accomplish this. But I will die with a smile on my face, knowing that I have prevented the world from playing the game The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (the tears are from the people who can't play the game anymore)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Tender Bender posted:

Great detailed OP! I just wanna say we do know the fourth ability, it's Recall. They use it early in the trailer to rewind a fallen object to ride it back up in the sky. Finally, a Tenet game.

While everyone is (reasonably) excited about the Fuse/Ultrahand abilities, I'm curious about the potential uses of Recall. It's hard for me to think of many off the top of my head, but I'm sure there will be a bunch. Maybe you can Rewind enemies to send them back away from you? There will probably be rocks rolling off of mountains periodically as a method to climb them.

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

One thing that I'm super excited about now is puzzles. I love BotW's approach, every puzzle feels so tactile, like you're a kid playing with toys (even if a few shrines were a tad undercooked). They seem to expanding that even further. I imagine dungeons will have the tools you need for a necessary vehicle locked away behind smaller puzzles or combat, but you'll be able to skip some pieces with cleverness and a touch of jank.

Despite being kind of critical of BotW's lack of "things to find," I like the shrines a lot. It's always exciting seeing what puzzle the next one has in store, and they get pretty creative with some of them (in ways that I kind of wish were integrated more outside of optional side content).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

This game is going to lead to a lot of Youtube videos with titles like "Can you beat Tears of the Kingdom with just a mushroom?!"

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Procrastine posted:

Some of the constructs are friendly

loving hell...what's next friendly bokoblins? Ganondorf the shop-keeper selling me milk?! This isn't the Zelda of my youth...

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

My take is that the ascend ability won’t make dungeons obsolete, but it potentially can make a new way of exploration possible to find secret passages or ways around a seemingly impossible way to get to a cave offshoot. Think of what CAN be done, not what can’t, that is what made BOTW great.

Ascend is potentially one of the cooler ideas, depending on what they do with it. I'm imagining situations where there are actually chambers inside of buildings/caves that you can only get to using Ascend. It would be exciting to sometimes try to reach a mountain top and instead come across some chamber with loot inside the mountain.

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

i wonder if you can use the ascend ability to get to the sky islands

that would be fun, but also kinda easy

IMO they should let you always use Ascend, but if there's no surface for you Ascend to you get a game over of Link gradually being asphyxiated as he reaches extreme altitudes

RuBisCO posted:

I haven't played botw since 2017 so I don't care it might as well be a new map to me because of brain rot

In my case I just never played BotW that thoroughly, so I only really know stuff like "desert is in the bottom left, Zora on the right, etc."

I'm actually happier with the idea of a "changed BotW map," because it will allow for a lot of environmental storytelling through just seeing how things are different.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Mar 29, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

When Xenoblade 2 and 3 got announced in random nintendo directs they had like, 20 minutes of cutscene and gameplay.

3 in particular showed way too much in its Direct, though. Nearly every single zone in the game is present in the trailer, which kind of sucked because I kept thinking "drat I've still just seen the trailer content, which must mean there are other cool zones I haven't seen" and then this just never happened and I realized that pretty much every zone except for the literal final zone of the game was in the trailers/Direct. Still a great game, but I was a bit bummed out at the end because I was expecting some big final act that never came.

One cool thing about BotW is that the game itself actually had a ton of stuff not in the trailers (even if it wasn't story content). If someone saw the trailer and thought "drat I wonder what sort of other places I'll find," they'd actually be satisfied/surprised by the actual game.

I generally agree with you that I'd like to see more story content in the game (not necessarily cutscenes though). I'll still enjoy it regardless, but my biggest gripe about BotW is the relative lack of NPC engagement. The weird NPCs are one of the best things about Zelda (and something BotW did very well during the limited times you did engage with them).

Palmtree Panic posted:

Its pretty refreshing that they showed so little of this game so far. Most games have huge media blow-outs where they show off most of everything.

Let us discover meat shields & stuff on our own.

I generally get "they're confident about the game" vibes from its marketing. I get similar vibes from the FF16 marketing.

For a very exaggerated example of a game that had bad vibes throughout all its marketing - Forspoken

Long-Time Lurker posted:

It's interesting that BotW both got praised for innovating open-world games from critics and got called "empty sandbox" from fans who don't like it.

IMO BotW's world actually is kinda empty (you're rarely going to find anything aside from Korok seeds, shrines, or chests), but it has an extremely good look/feel (I guess you could say "vibes") that makes going around collecting doodads more enjoyable than in, say, your average Ubisoft title.

Also the shrines are cool and work well as a doodad to collect. The combination of "getting a (possibly) fun new puzzle" + "unlocking a new fast travel point" makes them feel better than just collecting something to fulfil a checklist.

I hope that they'll take advantage of having a lot of the work already done to populate the world with more interesting things to find/do.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Manoueverable posted:

I always saw this criticism as favoring the destination over the journey because it's almost always couched in terms of "you climb the mountain or solve the puzzle but you *only* get a seed/shrine out of it." Like, enjoy the ride, admire the view and then glide off to wherever your whims decide to carry you next. It shouldn't be a game you treat like a checklist.

I feel like the only two options here aren't just "admire the view" and "collect nonsense like an Ubisoft game."

BotW already has the stuff I like, but I'd just like to see more of it. More NPCs with substantive content associated with them, more villages with more stuff to do in them. In BotW you can very quickly do most of what a village has to offer in terms of side quests. I couldn't care less about loot/rewards, but I just like interacting with the various bizarre and interesting Zelda NPCs.

Basically just making BotW denser with what it already has. This isn't really a criticism of BotW (since it does so much other stuff that it would be a pretty unreasonable ask), but it's something I'd like to see in the sequel since they don't have to spend as much time doing the basics of creating the world, many of its assets, etc.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

...Are there even korok puzzles in this game?

If they're just lil dudes walking around this time makes me wonder

The Korok have been infected by Malice. Instead of finding them, you must exterminate them.

This is a darker, more adult Zelda game. I hope you're prepared.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

WarpDogs posted:

this bothered me even when I was a kid

I think it's the coolest thing to revisit an area of a previous game in a new one, but it almost never happens. The rare times it does, the new area often looks nothing like the previous one, likely due to the problem of there being new engine or artists or designers or programmers

so in a lot of ways Tears of the Kingdom is already the coolest video game ever made

I remember downloading the Japanese ROM for Pokemon Gold/Silver (before the game actually came out in the west) and thinking it was the coolest thing ever how you return to the towns from Red/Blue.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Icedude posted:

I'm still betting it was the Zonai who dealt with Ganon 10,000 years previously, and then got betrayed by the Hylian Royal Family because they tend to be shitheads like that. Also that Ancient Sheikah tech is a lovely knockoff attempt at Zonai constructs made afterwards that were never actually used for real, which is why Ganon could take them over.

This is a cool theory and I kind of hope it's the case.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

My Second Re-Reg posted:

At what point in the leadup to this game did people come to believe we weren't going to be, at least in part, exploring Hyrule?

Yeah I'm not sure how they could have done "a direct sequel to BotW" without re-using the map in some capacity. I don't think most people would have been very happy if the game took place in some completely new country without any of the known Zelda areas like Death Mountain, Kakariko, Hyrule Castle, etc.

The only element to the "it's bad they're re-using stuff" argument that I kind of agree with is that it *is* pretty weird that they seem to be reusing stuff like the horse riding and stable music. I'm really not sure what to make of that, since it seems like one of the most obvious things to update.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

kidcoelacanth posted:

i did a zero fast travel playthrough of botw a while back and it was really satisfying

I probably have more free time than most people, and this would still be way too much for me. Do people seriously do this any time they want to restock arrows or whatever? Just go on a giant marathon to various towns?

Usually my approach to exploration is "teleport to top of tower, look around for something I want to check out and go there."

Maybe it makes more sense during repeated runs where you've already seen most stuff in the game? In that case I could understanding encountering more new stuff through taking weird/tedious routes. But at least for a first play-through, you'll definitely find more neat stuff by actually heading towards stuff that looks neat at a distance (and the game itself supports this with the towers + ability to mark stuff with the camera). Usually when I head off in a random direction, the most I'll find is "a place with some high-tier cows to kill."

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

quiggy posted:

"Reused map" really means "geography is the same". If you think the quests or stuff to find will be the same idk to what to say to you

This is partly why I actually like the idea of the "re-used map." It gives a point of reference that can make any quests/changes more interesting.

And it's not like the broad geography in BotW was a secret; you can climb any of the towers and see the general lay of most of the map. You're not exactly going to stumble across most of the major geographical features unless you're deliberately avoiding ever going to high places. I can understand the appeal of exploring a completely new overworld map, but there's also a separate appeal to exploring "the same geography, but with different stuff in it."

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Unlucky7 posted:

One thing I do want is some sort of transmogrification/glamour system.

This would be really nice. I'll never wear something like the big anti-flame suit. I always used alternatives to that, even if they required tediously crafting elixirs.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

I kind of like when games make you wear whatever works best, regardless of driplessness. Your outfit signals purpose rather than style.

In that case it should be entire outfits. Wearing anti-flame pants and some other chest/headpiece isn't going to be any more effective than not wearing them.

Or there should be a way to easily swap outfits, so you can have a "anti-flame loadout" and what have you.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Augus posted:

not true at all, individual pieces of gear in BoTW give you bonuses, not just the full sets. there are many areas in botw where you only need one piece of gear with heat/cold resistance and then you can use the other two slots on whatever.

I know; my point is that if someone is arguing "you should need to wear appropriate gear for realism," then BotW's system of piecemeal buffs conflicts with that. I meant that "just wearing an anti-flame helmet wouldn't really do anything for you in reality but does in the game, so you might as well just let people change their appearance however they want."

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Khanstant posted:

The cutscenes will only be viewable through an app on your phone. If you want to download the app you need to fax Nintendo headquarters the request and hope they approve you as a true fan.

You need to join Nintendo's IRC channel, which will supply you with a username/password to ssh into a server where the encrypted cutscenes can be downloaded.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

quiggy posted:

the smoke coming out of the stables in the totk gameplay is actually the new feature where you can turn your horse into glue

If they let you slaughter countless other animals for materials, why not horses as well? I'm pretty sure pigs are more intelligent than horses, and you can kill the hell out of those.

edit: Ultrahand actually requires glue harvested from horses to function

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ While this is an argument in favor of killing the pigs, it isn't an argument against killing the horses!

Capfalcon posted:

I felt SO bad when my first horse died, even though it had terrible stats.

If you ever caused at least one horse to die, you can't get the true ending and instead just get a screen consisting of gravestones for each horse that died under your command.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

TotK should have perma-death

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Martman posted:

aka Link durability

but by fusing the bodies or organs of random people and animals to yourself you can stave off the effects of weakened durability

Ganon is horrified as a grotesque chimera-Link approaches him, holding multiple copies of the Master Sword in each of his 19 hands/tentacles.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

superjew posted:

I was listening to Sins of Hyrule this morning and I’m excited to see what Hyrule Castle is like this time around.

This is pretty plausible. The only thing I can think of that makes it conceptually iffy is that the "core" Deku Tree isn't even remotely on the scale of a lot of those trunks size-wise (though I guess there's nothing preventing it from being a lot smaller).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Here is my take on the master sword so far...

The thing with the master sword is that by the time you get it you ought to have better weapons in your inventory for non-guardians. Also, it would be nice if it started recharging any time it is unequipped. Once you start using it you might as well wear it out and recharge rather than need it but only have like one swing left.

I definitely did not have many weapons better than it. At the time I got the Master Sword, the only one-handed swords I had in reasonable supply were Knight's Broadswords, which are a bit weaker than the Master Sword.

I find it a nice quality of life thing. I just use it until it "breaks," and it helps act as a buffer where I can collect more weapons in the meanwhile.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The Maroon Hawk posted:

It would be insanely funny if this game has playable Zelda and Nintendo doesn’t say a word about it before release

Just imagine the Gaming Twitter meltdown on May 12

They should introduce a completely new playable character instead.

The game's deuteragonist will be a young man from Hateno Village named Finny. Link with pass the torch to Finny at the end of the game - a new hero for a new era.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

dublish posted:

Can't wait to be playing this game in five weeks.

I think it would be interesting if Nintendo came out and said "just kidding!" on the release date, and revealed that all the gameplay ootage was actually just precompiled, as a joke.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

External Organs posted:

Wish I could play link between worlds. I've never had a 3DS.

I love the 3DS and genuinely mourn the fact that we'll probably never get a "proper" dedicated handheld like it again. I even liked its 3d gimmick, but it just had a great feel to it in general (particularly the larger later version). The Switch isn't really portable in the same way; you can't put it in your pocket and it just has a very different feel to it in general.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I can't remember Link Between Worlds much, but I do remember that I enjoyed it a lot and quickly finished it, which is a big deal because I'm extremely bad about finishing games, especially when they don't have very strong "page-turner" narratives. So it must have been really good.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

kidcoelacanth posted:

i used the interactive map to finally pin down all the korok seeds and have that accomplishment under my belt before totk.... but i messed up somewhere and i'm missing exactly 1 korok with no idea where it is

guess i'll die

Well, it looks like you need to go through all of them until you find the one you missed. These things happen.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Just watched the trailer. That looks like a lot of game, jeez. How do they even fit that much game onto a Switch cartridge?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It also seems like this game might have more plot stuff than Breath of the Wild, which would be nice.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Captain Hygiene posted:

What's Malladus?

Are you seriously telling us that you don't remember Malladus? loving Malladus, one of the most iconic villains in Nintendo - if not all of video gaming - history?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Blaziken386 posted:

also my number one hope for TotK is that they make rain not be absolutely terrible

"what if we had a gimmick that disabled your climbing ability, made it impossible to use 75% of all weapons and shields, reduced visibility to snot, AND made it impossible to pass time unless you can find shelter??"

its not immersive its just tedious. is it loving perpetual monsoon season or something.

I like when the lizard guys keep getting themselves shocked, though. Drop some metal stuff like the ground and let enemies walk into it.

It's also usually not *too* hard to find a place to make a fire near most climbable mountains/walls. But I agree that the whole "disabling climbing" aspect is pretty annoying. You should at least have some other way to "defeat" that mechanic.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The Zelda Timeline is funny because of how transparently obvious it is that they made it up long after the fact and had to force all the games into it.

I don't mind the idea of long-term Zelda Lore, but it's still pretty funny seeing people attempt to do serious Lore Analysis based off of the timeline.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Blaziken386 posted:

its incredibly ramshackle and contrived but thats what makes it fun. like yes obviously every game is standalone but what if

I feel like there must have been some way to create the timelime without the three separate branches. Like just place everything that could have happened at any point as having occurred prior to OoT. IIRC only Windwaker really introduces a big thing that would be incompatible with many of the other games happening after it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Augus posted:

didn't that turn out to just be people online getting confused by japanese pronoun ambiguity

I just looked up an example, and it seems implied to be from first-person. This one I'm looking at now ends with something like "I want to see her smile once more with these eyes" (kanojo no egao wo mou ichidou kono me de mitai), and I'm not sure how to read that other than in first-person.

That being said, people absolutely exaggerate the differences, and most of the stuff people talk about the quest log "revealing" is extremely obvious and unsurprising (like the "I want to see Zelda again" stuff above, or stuff implying Link is sometimes competitive).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm really hoping for some sort of twist regarding what happened during the previous calamity. There's a lot of room for one to be plausible, given the amount of time and how vague the tapestry is.

Also, is the sword guy's hair red? I'm colorblind so I can't tell, but that seems like a pretty strong implication it's not Link if so.

Edit: The princess part seems flat-out likely, given the darker skin on the tapestry. Hard to explain that otherwise.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 14, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

IMO Fi should stop complaining, because this is what she signed up for

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

WarpDogs posted:

my speculation is that the Zonai were like the Sheikah in the 10,000 years ago war, creating tech, keeping divine secrets, serving the royal family etc. This is the tech the Sheikah later unearthed and adapted in the 100 year ago war - also the same tech Ganon took over super easily

so it may be the Zonai are the precursors to the Sheikah. Maybe they're corrupted now and serving Ganondorf in a similar role the Sheikah serve for Link and Zelda. or it may be nothing.

By this understanding the Sheikah never "created tech, kept secrets, etc" though; you're proposing that the Zonai actually created the tech and the Sheikah didn't really do much of anything until they unearthed it before the 100 years ago war.

In BotW you're told that ancient Sheikah created the tech (guardians, towers, divine beasts, etc), and this seems plausible given we've seen Zonai tech and it looks pretty different (somewhat similar, but still obviously different, so I don't think stuff like guardians was directly created by the Zonai). But it also seems like that tapestry is not showing Link/Zelda, so I'm not sure what the explanation will end up being (but I'm curious to find out).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The cave in the the new trailer was really big!

I'm happy about the caves. Exploring caves is just inherently cooler than exploring other things.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Exploring the sky is cooler than exploring caves tbh.

Caves are cool because you go down tunnels and don't know what's going to be in the tunnels. The sky is cool too, but you can see where you're going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mustached Demon posted:

What was weirder was the English translation had to have the exact same length voice lines as the Japanese version else the game broke.

Same length as in if the Japanese line took five seconds then so did the English.

Having replayed FFX recently, it's really remarkable how good its English voice-acting is for the era, especially given the issues like you describe. Most of the characters are very accurate reproductions of their Japanese voices, and the ones that aren't (namely Auron) are still good in a different way. Yuna and Tidus in particular are pretty much perfectly cast.

People post the laughing scene as an example of "bad old voice-acting," but that's because they completely misunderstand the scene. It's supposed to sound goofy and forced! The original Japanese version of the scene is very similar.