Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

notwithoutmyanus posted:

So this one is a question from me. Despite the Putin cameo, is this expected to have any impact on the war?

Second question, is this just 4 other countries basically agreeing with funding avoiding sanctions?

https://twitter.com/WatcherGuru/status/1641655197595213827?t=3mx9c2HSyh4ipXwlgSzdbQ&s=19

That would make absolutely no sense, those countries have basically none of the factors that would make a common currency work. The EU isn't integrated enough to make a common currency work smoothly, five countries with almost nothing in common certainly don't.

poor waif fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Apr 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

buglord posted:

Crimea talk but slightly different: completely independent of whether or not Ukraine can/cannot/intends to take back the Crimean peninsula, how has Ukraine managed since the seizure of it in 2014? Several YouTube videos/lectures on the war that I’ve watched have placed various levels of importance in that area, from critical to less immediate, but is Ukraine somehow neutered if they were to never get that back?

It's a loss of territory and population, both problematic economically. Worse than that, it is a location that is much less sustainable if disconnected from the Ukrainian mainland, which is partly why it was placed under Ukrainian administration in the first place.

The Russian perspective appears to be that without the land bridge through Zaporizhzhia, Kherson and Donetsk, Crimea is in a tenuous position militarily and infrastructure-wise. If Ukraine were to cede just Crimea to Russia, Russia would have lots of reasons to keep interfering with Ukraine in order to establish that land bridge to secure permanent communications with Russia.

Prior to 2014, this was resolved through a formal lease of the Black Sea fleet bases. That isn't really possible anymore.

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

Discendo Vox posted:

This story includes some content from the leak.

Russia’s commando units gutted by Ukraine war, U.S. leak shows
Russia’s clandestine spetsnaz forces have been put to use alongside the infantry, suffering massive numbers of dead and wounded

This largely underlines the problems Russia's created for itself by using whatever "elite" units it could find as speartips, over and over.

It's strange how Russia seems to be trying to win a long war, but also uses up all its most expensive resources for minimal short-term gains. Spetsnaz, tanks, artillery etc would be much more useful against a Ukraine that has expended all its resources on counteroffensives.

It would make more sense for Russia to be on the defensive, since Ukraine clearly wants its land back.

Is Russia not trying to win a long war? What's the rush?

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom
Another interview with the gruff Ukrainian artillery guy came out recently, didn't see it posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHI0LcozVd0

They talk about (among other things) Bakhmut, what Western weapons they need, US policy regarding Ukraine, etc. Interesting Ukrainian perspective on things.

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

Hannibal Rex posted:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/evan-gershkovich-in-court-appeal-against-wsj-reporters-detention-rejected-2xbszrxm9

I never thought I would agree with Simonyan on anything, but if they want their asset back that badly, it sounds like a good deal.

Can't they take Glenn Greenwald too, just for good measure?

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

Libluini posted:

Yeah, that was one time the leaks just repeated things we already knew for almost a year now. Back then (it was even posted about in this thread, I think) it turned out the Bundeswehr had really pushed to get the system despite peace time and sleepy German politicians doing their hardest to prevent it from happening. So when the war started, the Bundeswehr had one half-finished system in testing and the company making them was building the first production model.

The same company also made the missiles, which of course hadn't been on anyone's mind when the war started. Then, when Ukraine didn't immediately collapse, the German government basically threw the IRIS-T at Ukraine since it was already leaving the factory and the Bundeswehr didn't need it anyway. A political slam-dunk. But a couple months in and after high praise by Ukrainian forces, it turned out the company making IRIS-T had some trouble supplying enough missiles. Apparently the German government had been the only customer and never ordered that many in the first place, so production capacity was basically non-existent.

Considering Ukraine is now getting another full system, I'm carefully and hopefully guessing the manufacturer has started overcoming their bottleneck. Though of course, the Ukrainian forces could just decide to keep the IRIS-Ts back and stockpile missiles for that one time a target absolutely has to be neutralized. (Ukrainians reported that it has had a 100% success rate so far, they just really need more missiles)

Disclaimer: I'm going mostly by memory from reading news articles from by now about a year ago.

Not knowing anything about GBAD, couldn't they be using the IRIS-T for its radar? Might be possible to link it up to some other solution for actually firing missiles, if there are no IRIS-T missiles available.

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

Der Kyhe posted:

The unfortunate truth is that while Ukraine has been pulling off what is very close to miracle at this point, it also badly skews the expectations. There is no guarantee that the Ukrainian counteroffensive gets anything done, similarly as it is probable that since Russia will never run out of cannon fodder they will keep pushing the front inwards, no matter how slow their progress may be.

Then again, not getting a major victory on each counteroffensive does not lose the war, and the rate of Russian progress will eventually stagnate this into another mostly passive forever war akin to Korea.

I really hope that I am wrong on this, but my hopes for super-effective counteroffensive isn't that high, especially if it is about crossing Dnepr at Kherson to tie down Russian reinforcements from Crimea while trying to cut the land bridge at Zaporizhzhia region.

I don't feel that Ukraine has to win the war with quick and decisive counteroffensives or risk a frozen conflict like Korea.

In the end, I think even in a long war Ukraine has the advantage. Few Russians are willing to truly suffer so that Russia can annex Pisky or Avdiivka. Ukrainian land will always be more important to Ukrainians than to Russians. There is clearly a limit to what Russia is willing to commit to this war, since their initial push was lackluster, and the following mobilisations have been weak as well. They could spend 50% of their GDP on the war, fully mobilise their economy, mobilise millions and send them to the front to learn on the job armed with AKs and shovels. If this war was terribly important to Russia, they could go full Great Patriotic War, if they wanted to. They don't, because Russian leaders understand that there is no possibility to pretend that this war is that critical to the Russian state.

It is a war started because of a miscalculation. For Russians, it's not a fight for survival. They can always go home with more or less no consequences.

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Wow 200k troops is, like, the entire active Russian military.

There's the DNR and LNR too, both of which probably have taken enormous numbers of casualties. Same goes for mobilised and prisoners.

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

Willo567 posted:

So other than the F-16 being more modern than the MIG29, would it really enhance Ukraine's performance in the upcoming counteroffensive?

It would allow Ukraine to use western air-to-air missiles, which have much longer range than what they use now among other advantages. That would reduce the risk of Russian CAS.

They would also be able to use more air-launched precision fires, which the west has quite a lot of.

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

Nenonen posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...f0856aad1f26177

Something seems to be cooking but Nova Kahovka is an unlikely point of attack, unless Ukraine has intelligence suggesting that Russians have left it vulnerable (which I find unlikely). But it sounds like more than just some target of opportunity getting hammered.

The dam might be the easiest place to put down a bridge. If they do want a bridgehead, it might be the place to do it. Would also be the place to fake trying to establish a bridgehead, so who knows!

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

recently i had been thinking what a bad sign for russia that after 2 months of concentrated sustained effort they still haven't taken the entirety of bakhmut. i think it's too early to say whether this was some kind of victory for ukraine when it's not clear what their losses look like, but this continues to point to a stalemate being russia's best possible outcome from the war as long as the west can keep adequate supplies flowing. if ukraine does indeed launch an offensive and it has any level of operational success, one would think russia will be forced to reevaluate its strategy of digging in and holding out for a favorable diplomatic conclusion to the war

Would a stalemate actually be better than a full withdrawal? Seems like you're just creating trouble for yourself over territory that just isn't that useful for Russia. Sure, they'll create problems in Ukraine, but those problems will apply just as much in Russia. This isn't a Transnistria or Abkhazia situation, it's a "turn your country into a global pariah in order to gain some bombed out cities with a population of traumatised pensioners who don't want to live in your country".

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

Nenonen posted:

Putin is going to be extremely reluctant to order a withdrawal. If he did it what would he have to show for the whole spectacle? The premise was that Nazi Ukraine is an existential threat to Russia, withdrawal would mean admitting either that it was a lie or that Putin can't defend Russia.

For Putin, whatever keeps him alive and in power for another year is what's best. For Russia, I don't see how any concession could be better than sanctions relief, etc. A frozen conflict wouldn't get them that, at least not for a long time.

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

can north koreans even freely leave?

i guess maybe the regime there would be okay leasing people as yet another shady revenue stream to supplement drugs and ransomware, maybe

North Korea already leases its workers to various Russian work camps, has been going on for ages.

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

Icon Of Sin posted:

Soldiers that surrender are soldiers you don’t have to fight later. It’s the easiest and best way forward for everyone involved.

Russian POWs can also be exchanged for Ukrainian POWs.

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

Failed Imagineer posted:

Russia claiming they killed a Patriot.

But they wouldn't just go and lie like that

What does it mean to kill a patriot? Is it a launcher, the radar system, or all the launchers and the radar and the command module? Seems unlikely that they would get the lot in a single barrage.

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

Willo567 posted:

I'm assuming that this is do divert Russian troops from the frontlines?

Might also be a diversion to spoil Russia's propaganda win in Bakhmut.

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

What they do to occupied territories that resist them is a lot worse, so I think at the outset of the war it was a lot more reasonable for people to advocate a quick surrender and cessation of hostilities/quick russian victory.

Like I said, I don't subscribe to this idea. My own thoughts on the matter I'll keep to myself, but I think that if you don't think a total ukrainian victory is possible, some sort of negotiated agreement would be the best outcome reasonably possible. (Not a total capitulation.) This is the position that most war-skeptics that I've heard take, and I think it's entirely fair-minded.

I think there's some confusion here though, because the guy I responded to said "ukraine stop fighting" which I read as "sue for peace" rather than "abject surrender/russian occupation". I think the former is a fair position, the latter is not.

It's still a nonsensical position. Pro-russians generally want all financial and military aid to Ukraine to end yesterday, which would lead to an unconditional surrender followed by an insurgency at best.

Russia has shown zero interest in negotiations. Why would they be more likely to negotiate if a complete victory is made easier by stopping all supplies to Ukraine?

What is there even to negotiate about? Should Zelensky stop being a nazi and Ukraine fully demilitarise despite being surrounded on three sides by a hostile Russia, while also surrendering territory that Russia annexed without ever having held?

No pro-Ukrainian is demanding an unconditional surrender by Russia, they just want Russia to leave Ukraine.

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

"Sue for peace" here means being willing to give up ukrainian territory

but honestly I'm out of this conversation, I do not enjoy arguing for a position I don't hold

I'll just say that people who argue that western support for ukraine should end or be tempered can do so without being bad faith pro-russian actors, and if you don't think that's the case fine, i dont care

That's not what Russia is demanding though, and it's not its stated reason for starting the war. Russia's position is that it won't even start negotiations unless Ukraine gives Russia whatever it wants first. Then they can negotiate about what else Ukraine can give them.

Ukraine giving Russia land just means Russia will come back later and want more land, at which point Ukraine will be weaker because it has less land and less population. It's complete nonsense.

People can hold whatever opinions they like, but those opinions can also be really dumb.

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

They can be wrong and dumb without being bad faith pro-russian propoganda

which was my point

I mean, it's a legitimate position in the same way as someone could have the opinion that the Iraq war could have been avoided if Iraq had scrapped it's WMD programs and stopped supporting Al-Qaida.

It's an opinion that's based on Russian propaganda, and only makes sense if you fully believe Russian propaganda. Parroting Russian propaganda without even being paid for it just means you need to have a talk with your agent, you're getting a raw deal.

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

MikeC posted:

It is at times like these that I really dislike how the modern usage of the word fascist (among other terms) has grown so wide and nebulous that it ceases to have any real meaning and is instead used whenever a person seeks to preemptively take the moral high ground to shut down discussion on their position.

In terms of the morality of the situation, I think most people understand there are shades of grey here. The question of whether a citizen is morally obligated to defend their country has ties to the political organization of their country. Most western democracies (as it is understood) offer a wide range of personal freedoms and access to political decision making on some level. I personally think almost without a doubt that citizens of such a country are morally obligated to fight. You can't imo enjoy the freedoms and protections of the state and then abandon the civic responsibility that comes with it. Running away when the country gets invaded definitely counts as avoiding civic responsibility.

That same question is different for a person in an authoritarian state (the loose non technical term most people associate with the word fascist these days) who enjoys no civic rights and no political participation. Especially when such a state engages in an offensive war where there is no clear and imminent threat justifying preemptive action.

So just because conscription is a tool commonly used by authoritarian regimes, the fact that a state may enact harsh conscription with consequences for dodging, doesn't mean that state is skirting towards fascism. I am not going to just give the Ukrainian government a free pass here because I understand that there is meaningful corruption that occurs and I am not familiar with how robust their democracy and rule of law is but conscription alone doesn't make for fascism.

We should take care to use terms in a more precise manner if engaging in good faith discussions.

Fascism is a pretty useless term these days. People will support authoritarian regimes conducting genocides, heavy use of propaganda, using nationalism to start wars, jailing/murdering members of the opposition, running concentration camps etc, as long as they don't make use of certain specific aesthetics. To me, the aesthetics of fascism is possibly the least objectionable aspect of it, but to others, it's the only thing that matters.

Conscription can be a powerful tool for resisting fascism. Smaller countries can put up a plausible defense against larger neighbours using conscription, which would be difficult with an entirely professional army. Ideally, it also equalises society more, since conscription ideally hits everyone equally, whether rich or poor or black or white or whatever. In practice, that's not always the case, especially not in places like Russia, but still. Not having a dedicated warrior class means you don't need to find busywork for your warrior class, which should be good for peace.

I feel like people will also be less likely to support aggressive wars if their family will be directly affected due to conscription, but I don't have any sources for that.

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Is anyone able to expand upon what he means by Soviet Mindset? How is this different compared to other militaries?

What people often mean is that Soviet militaries are top-down and hierarchical, where commanders provide very detailed objectives that should be followed fully by the soldiers with no deviation. NATO emphasises mission command, where soldiers are given an objective, but they have more freedom for how to make it happen.

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

tatankatonk posted:

Genuine question for those in the thread who are currently against a ceasefire or peace while Russia has illegally occupied/annexed Ukrainian territory - what do you think Ukraine should do if the counteroffensive fails to achieve a significant result? Is there any price in casualties and infrastructure that you would consider too steep for Ukraine to pay?

Listening to Ukraine is key, of course. It's their land and their culture being erased, it would be ridiculous for me to sit in safety and dictate their conditions so that Germany can have some more gas.

Still, it's not like the day Russia gets all the land and NATO nonsense its little heart desires means no more deaths and suffering. Russia would have to start integrating hostile territories, which undoubtedly would mean more death and suffering. Is it better for 10000 Ukrainians to be tortured to death in school basements than for 10000 Ukrainians to die in a counteroffensive?

It's not an obvious calculus to me, and it's one Ukrainians are keenly aware of, in my experience.

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Ukraine should receive binding security guarantees from Western countries for this reason.

How would those protect in an LNR/DNR scenario where Russia supports ostensibly local insurgents?

My only solution would be making sure Ukraine has a plausible defense on its own, basically what Zelensky talked about when he said Ukraine has to turn into another Israel.

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Nobody needs to be another Israel, and everybody knows what L and DNR were and are. I don’t see the problem.

Forgive my bias as a Jew who very much dislikes being associated with genocideland, but Ukraine as Israel sounds like the vatnik’s wet dream.

It could mean potentially continuous instability until Russia decides to come to its senses. NATO can't provide intelligence services or be in a constant state of article 5, and it doesn't cost much for Russia to send its yearly harvest of Girkin wannabes.

I doubt NATO/whatever security guarantor would be happy to conduct a full invasion of Russia next time it decides that Odessa really wants to be part of Russia, with plausible deniability.

I don't mean Israel in the sense of invading the Gaza Strip every five years, but it has the ability to defend itself against most scenarios without fully depending on how the US feels at that particular moment.

edit: Finland might be a better example, actually.

poor waif fucked around with this message at 08:07 on May 24, 2023

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

Atreiden posted:

Genuine question here, how do you negotiate a ceasefire or peace with Russia in its current state? They've repeatedly said they're not interested in it and have repeatedly broken agreements.

With the Minsk agreements as a backdrop, a ceasefire seems to be pretty meaningless. "it's not Russia bombing Kherson, it's the entirely independent country of DNR and/or Ukraine doing it to themselves" and so on.

A ceasefire requires some level of trust, or some enforcement mechanism. Maybe if the UN got involved somehow?

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

Antigravitas posted:

The only reason it worked then was because the Ukrainian military was in shambles. It was a serious wake up call that led to extensive reforms of the Ukrainian military so it wouldn't happen again.

Right, but Russia can do a lot to screw with Ukraine without fully invading. Before 2014 they were regularly poisoning politicians, messing with the gas supply, funding various political movements, threatening military action, assassinations. Now, I'd suspect the gloves are off even more than then.

None of those things would be covered by a security treaty with e.g. NATO. An Odessa People's Republic doesn't need to be successful, it just needs to disrupt society as long as they don't do whatever Russia wants.

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

Boris Galerkin posted:

Yeah I’m mostly talking about Boris the night shift security guard at the Russian nasa research center who gets to go home to his wife and kids every day and eat 3 meals a day. What is his incentive for volunteering into the research center’s PMC to give up his life and go to Ukraine? I mean I guess a 4x increase in salary is quite a bit but in my mind I can’t see anyone volunteering for it, so I guess I was more wondering if these were just people who were voluntold to die, and if so, why didn’t they just quit and find another job (or even the same job, after the other guy that didn’t quit dies and they still need to fill the security guard position).

It's mad that someone would volunteer for a gamble where there's a 50% chance you die a horrible death, 50% chance you get $25000.

There must be easier ways to get that amount of money if you're willing to do absolutely anything for it.

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

Charliegrs posted:

Kinda hard to keep fighting if your supply of weapons gets cut off. Which is a very real possibility if Trump or Desantis gets elected. Especially if we are in the midst of a massive recession from defaulting on the debt ceiling.

Europe, countries like Pakistan, Egypt, South Korea, as well as Ukrainian producers could probably sustain the war if the will exists. It would be bad, but it wouldn't necessarily be the end of anything.

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

Charliegrs posted:

Lol if you think Ukraine can sustain this war with only EU weapon contributions. The EU can barely arm itself.

What is that based on?

European countries have issues with stockpiles, not necessarily production. Europe has quite robust production lines for things like 155mm shells, ATGM (NLAW, AT-4, Matador, Carl Gustaf are all produced primarily in Europe), SPGs, 5.56mm ammunition, etc.

It is also a decent source for newly produced Soviet-style kit in e.g. Bulgaria and Romania.

From what I've seen, it's more a question of will, more than anything else. Certain items (tanks and jet fighters for instance) will be harder to ramp up, but overall I think Europe has a decent production capacity for ammunition, if it wants to use it.

Russia has been burning up their stockpiles, so their expenditure will necessarily go down as they have to rely on newly produced stuff. I think Europe can quite easily keep up with Russian production rates for most types of ammunition.

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

Zudgemud posted:

Aside from political will to throw money at the problem it also depends on practical constraints like factory setup and supply chains. A factory and supply chain set up to for economic efficiency is not necessarily able to cope with expanded production beyond peacetime rates if the production line, factory layout and storage etc is not explicitly made for spare capacity and/or rapid expansion to wartime rates. Since the Soviet union fell western Europe has in general been keen on dismantling such spare capacity as a part of the peace dividend. If the factories of Russia and its ammo suppliers has a better spare capacity in their plants than those in Europe then Europe will be even slower to ramp up production in comparison, possibly too slow, even if their output after a couple of years time will be really high.

Right, but the EU alone (not counting the UK or Turkey) produces something like 20% of world arms exports. Maybe they produce one 155mm shell every five years and sell it for $30 billion, but I'd think it's more likely that there probably is substantial capacity for production.

Even if Trump steps in with dictatorial powers in a year and a half, and also decides to dedicate all his political power to gutting American arms exports, Europe could sustain a whole lot. That's not counting Japan, South Korea, Pakistan, Egypt, Australia and loads of other countries with arms industries and a willingness to ship arms to Ukraine in exchange for money.

The EU is aiming at producing one million 155mm shells a year within 12 months, which would let Ukraine fire thousands of shells per day, indefinitely, from only the EU, without affecting stockpiles. It's not going to mean that the war is over tomorrow, but it's hardly "lol the eu can't even arm itself".

poor waif fucked around with this message at 11:26 on May 25, 2023

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

One million shells per year sounds great and it’s obviously a huge improvement, but assuming they’re all earmarked for Ukraine it results in 2,700 rounds per day. UAF is firing something like 7,000 rounds per day, and I’m sure they’d fire more if they had them. The sheer volume of artillery ammunition required is breathtaking.

Right, so the EU alone, without digging into stockpiles, will be able to supply about 40% of Ukraine's sustainment needs using only 155mm shells. Not to forget the EU is also producing 152mm, MLRS ammunition and mortar ammunition and so on. That's assuming the EU does absolutely nothing else to ramp up production in the next year and a half.

Does this not contradict "lol the eu can't even arm itself" and the idea that Trump being elected will end Ukraine's ability to fight instantly?

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

Kallikaa posted:

They're digging into stocks though:

"The first element of the plan encourages EU members to send ammunition from stockpiles, the second provides incentives for countries to place joint orders and the third focuses on helping arms firms increase their production capacities.

The 220,000 shells were provided under the first part of the plan, Borrell said. The first joint procurement contracts under the second part of the plan are expected to be signed in the summer, according to officials."

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/eu-says-its-sent-220000-artillery-shells-ukraine-2023-05-23/

And the usual hurdles come up:

"“We have a hard time hiring personnel,” two industry officials told EURACTIV, speaking on condition of anonymity."

https://www.euractiv.com/section/defence-and-security/news/eu-defence-industry-faces-staff-shortage-amid-increased-production-demand/

This was the original comment for context:

Charliegrs posted:

Kinda hard to keep fighting if your supply of weapons gets cut off. Which is a very real possibility if Trump or Desantis gets elected. Especially if we are in the midst of a massive recession from defaulting on the debt ceiling.

I'm talking about 12 months from now, when then plan supposedly produces 1 million shells per year. Today, both the EU and the US is providing shells from stocks. I was just saying that there are other suppliers than the US, and they would be able to sustain the war if they had the will. The EU alone planning to produce 40% of their current expenditure in 12 months is an example of that. Current expenditures are based on existing stocks, both on the Ukrainian and Russian side, so they are likely to come down once supply is limited by production.

This is my hot take: Trump is unlikely to become president in the next 12 months, and once he does, he's unlikely to cut of all supplies to Ukraine from every source. Those sources could probably sustain the war, if the will to do so exists.

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

DTurtle posted:

I'm pretty sure you meant this, but to make it 100% clear: If Trump or Desantis cut off all aid to Ukraine as their first act as president, that won't happen 12 months from now, but 20 months from now.

So still lots of time for a ramp up of military production to happen, not to mention that obviously a lot of stuff will have happened in the war until then, considering that the current phase of the war is only 15 months old.

Yeah, in 12 months the EU is meant to be reaching their 155mm shell production target. If Trump becomes president before then, I fear we've got bigger problems.

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I agree that a hypothetically isolationist president being elected in 2024 is less of a danger to Ukraine’s ability to prosecute the war than the OP you quoted.

However - “you can’t shoot as much as you want by 50-70% because we can’t produce enough shells” is not exactly fulfilling Ukraine’s military needs.

I'd love it if they made stronger commitments to produce more. Even if it costs a few billion, it's worth it to not have Putin in Lviv sending little green men everywhere. Ramping up takes time, and I'd imagine the supply chain work that is needed is quite difficult.

There are needs and wants, though. What they're currently spending means that Russia can't make any real progress, and Ukraine has been able to husband its supplies so that they have enough for a counteroffensive. They clearly don't need more to credibly defend their territory. More would be great for reducing casualties and risk, and I'm all for providing more.

I think reducing supply means Ukraine has to take more risk and more casualties to get the same outcome, but the outcome might not necessarily change dramatically. It's also possible it does change the outcome completely, it's hard to get a clear view of this, for me at least :)

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

WarpedLichen posted:

It's interesting to me that the border raids is basically equivalent to a smash and grab with no real intent to hold ground. I guess I am skeptical of what effects such raids could have since I thought there have been similar border skirmishes the whole time? Does anything change if its just a bigger border skirmish?

I guess it primarily forces Russian troops to move away from places where they're actually going to be useful in a counteroffensive. Apparently, Ukraine has been firing at those newly arrived troops with artillery from across the border, since the Russians haven't had time to set up proper entrenchments yet.

It's also just yet another problem for the Russian state to deal with.

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

spankmeister posted:

Lots of Russians with Ukrainian descent, hopefully this doesn't lead to some kind of witch hunt.

From a propaganda perspective, it'd make it even harder to convince Ukrainians that living in Russia might not be so bad. They want to keep pretending Ukrainians are just confused Russians, a witch hunt wouldn't help with that.

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

Ynglaur posted:

Heck, we don't even know what 1200mm mortar stockpiles are like right now.

The advantage of the 1.2 meter mortar is that you don't need very many of them to make a big impact.

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

fatherboxx posted:

https://twitter.com/polidemitolog/status/1662044505678249984?t=qlbxHU6nkLRaPpp-Xlgd_w&s=19

Good thread on the troubles in Russian opposition, particularly the Navalny team.

They are in an extremely non-favorable position where operating outside of the country naturally diminishes influence on people in Russia while outside forces either want them to be gone (being in competition for attention with Ukrainian
and Baltic activists and official narratives of those countries) or to do something tangible (which is currently impossible). They dont help the situation themselves by engaging in the stupidest media fights.

Frankly, with the war threatening to go on for years and regime on a steady road to turning into Iran of the north they are doomed to become a dissident union for emigrants but no one wants that fate since useless and comical White emigration of the 1920s and dissidents of 1970s are caution tales of irrelevancy.

It's interesting speaking to Russians in the west about this, because every single opposition politician except their favourite is controlled opposition. There's this paranoia where depending on who you speak to, Navalny, Sobchak (reasonable arguments here, maybe), Yashin, Kara-Murza, Roizman, Katz etc are all either controlled by Putin, or the person who will save Russian democracy.

It's clearly an effective strategy, which seems to manage to depoliticise Russians even when they're outside of the grasp of the regime. The incessant infighting and accusations of corruption etc also means you can never build a coalition, because nobody trusts anyone.

Ukrainians I've spoken to have no interest at all in cooperating with them either, and usually for quite understandable reasons. There's no sense of having a common enemy, at least not from what I've heard.

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

HDC posted:

I don’t think anybody unironically calls himself a “good russian”, if at all

Kasparov and others were proposing a special visa scheme where if you could be shown to be a "good Russian"/"European Russian" (паспорт хорошего русского) you would be able to travel to the EU easier, rather than having blanket bans on Russian citizens. It required filling out a form where you'd say that Crimea was Ukraine, the war is bad, etc.

Not sure that "good Russian" was what they actually wanted to call it, but it was what people were calling it when they were discussing it afterwards, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

FuturePastNow posted:

Doesn't sound like a trap at all

The idea was that you'd burn bridges with the Putin regime, and get advantages when travelling/fleeing out of Russia. I think. My experience is that Kasparov is kind of a doofus politically.