Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Hannibal Rex posted:

The '99 air war against Serbia gets memory holed. IIRC Serbia was completely outmatched, but still managed to keep its air defense a threat in being.

They took out a nighthawk. That's nothing to sneer at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Herstory Begins Now posted:

it tends to go unremarked upon because the timeline of these things is often 10 or 20 or even 30 or more years, but deeply personal international grievances like this really do not get forgotten and the people who care the most often go half or more of their careers before they get a chance to properly stick it to whoever is responsible at a moment when it will most hurt.

Part of the strong European response to Russia's second invasion traces back to the sheer number of countries with significant, heartfelt grievances against decades of cynical russian meddling and destructive foreign policy.

This is right, there's still a lot of anger and resentment here over Salisbury and Amesbury. It's not as terrible as what happened to the victims of MH17 but the sheer gall of what the Russians did without concern for civilians rankled a lot of people here badly, and the meek response was considered woefully inadequate by many. Training Ukrainian troops and providing arms was something that did not require much contemplation, if any

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Comstar posted:

I just realised what could do this- Battlemechs. Battlemechs with jump jets. Jump over the mine fields.

Square cubed law says no

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Mr. Apollo posted:

Apparently, some of the mine fields the Ukrainians have been encountering are absolutely massive. In training, the western trainers told them that mine fields are usually 100 - 200 meters wide and 10 - 20 meters deep. The Ukrainians laughed and said they’ve encounter mine fields several kilometers wide and several hundred meters deep.

This will take a century plus to unfuck, or maybe even new zone rouges :smith:

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Probably lock the thread for a few days and sprinkle some probes around in the meantime

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Good riddance.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

What GOP (and politicians in general across the world, on both divides) says they want and what they do behind closed doors are often very different.

I remember reading one newly-minted senator's remarks about it, he said he personally saw a lot of GOP members act all angry & sputtery in front of the cameras then be all chummy & nice with their Democrat counterparts once the cameras were off. A lot of the time they don't really mean what they say; it's just for votes and domestic consumption.

I don't think we need to worry about USA abandoning their support for Ukraine even if Trump should be the president again, there are too many defensive industries in deep red states.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

OddObserver posted:

This is nonsense.

It really is, Napoleon was the last one and that was over two hundred years ago. Japan has been more of a problem to Russia than Europe has been, since then.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Just slap some duct tape on it, it'll be fine

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Nervous posted:

This is just :psyduck: to me.

There's accounts of early Russian POWs who didn't even know they were in Ukraine, or they thought they were just taking part in drills until half their unit got blasted to poo poo.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

He was not invited because everybody knew a small number of hard right republicans would embarrass everybody involved

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Moon Slayer posted:

Looks like the US government won't shut down, at the cost of this round of Ukraine aid money, which will be stripped from the Continuing Resolution so it can be approved by both the House and Senate. Don't ask me what this actually means for Ukraine in the short or medium term but I'm guessing not much as more aid will be passed in the future.

Although I'm sure we'll get a few doomposts about how it's all over now.

Proof that Putin only needed a small number of GOP in his pocket

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Axis of evil has always been a thing, it's just been naively slept on for a decade and a half.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

From what little I admittedly know, if Putin passes, my guess is that it's likely to be Nikolai Patrushev next. I don't think the succession will be anywhere near as messy as a lot of people expect or want to happen. Putin's way of thinking is hugely prevalent among the elites and politics in Russia. They want the gravy klepto-train to keep rolling on

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Kestral posted:

The question is whether that’s too little, too late. Europe will keep providing, the US will probably keep providing, but they all should have been providing enormously more, and much earlier. It’s entirely possible that the utterly shameful drip-feed strategy will prove insufficient, and Ukraine will suffer (even more) gravely as a result.

I think this too. The time to make a real difference is long past. The Russians are too dug in, the occupied areas are too heavily mined.
If I was a betting man, I'd say negotiations eventually end up with Russia keeping what they've got, and Ukraine joining NATO. But I don't gamble for a reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Combat footage already has videos of it being blown up basically within seconds of it appearing on the battlefield